Are you newly natural & frustrated? Here are a few tips all in one place!

CoveredGirl

AFashionSlave said:
Here's a K-Cutter comb:

Can this comb be used on very short hair (like a twa)??

kristina

I'm so loving this thread!
Here are my stats

Name: kristina
Hair Type: I'm claiming 3c/4a but my hair is multitextured (frizzy, curly and naptastic)
Hair Length: nearing brastrap
Album Link:see siggie
Album password: no password

My tips
Get out of the mentality that your hair needs to be combed into submission. This tip has been mentioned but can't be overemphasized because if you were raised with having people rake through your hair in the process of styling, you associate that with managing your hair.
The denman brush and some detangler are very worthwhile investments.
Fingercomb before using a tool (brush or wide tooth comb) to detangle
Don't be a half assed detangler (rip noises are a bad thing)
Detangle well with lots of conditioner or detangler in your hair, braid into sections then rinse out the excess- this is a great prep for air drying.
If you must be a pj always make sure you note whether the person recomending the product is relaxed or natural- a lot of products that relaxed ladies love especially the protein products do nothing for my hair.
Avoid styles that require a lot of manupulation-gravitate towards styles that don't require daily styling.
A bun or ponytail can be a high manipulation style if you aim for super duper sleeked back.
When taking out twists or braids, soak hair in EVOO and untangle carefully with your fingers
If you're feeling antsy like you want to relax, get some braids
Expecting to have bone straight natural hair (via press or flat iron) all the time is unrealistic for most people- either because of the heat damage or because of the pain of having to avoid all water/moisture/sweat in the name of keeping a press.
Fake extension hair is the devil! (if you got to wear braids, go with human hair)
Be patient-
you will look like a hot mess until you figure out how to style
natural hair might not show length as easily

Best of luck to everyone!

firecracker

brittanynic16 said:
Here are my hair stats:
Name: Brittany
Hair Type: 4A
Hair Length: 7 to 8 inches
Album Link:http://public.fotki.com/brittanynic16/

My Tips:
* shea butter & Salerm are a nappy woman's dream
* the shower comb is wonderful tool
* your hair can and will grow
* your hair is beautiful and please don't anyone tell you different

Hey Brittany, your hair is really growing girl. I was wondering about you. How is everything? What is Salerm and who's shea butter do you use? I have some unrefined shea butter that worked miracles on my dark spots. Can I melt this down and mix with moisturizer?

darkflame213

Name: Darkflame
Hair type: Mostly 4b with a 4a kitchen
Hair length (root to tip): 9 inches in the back, 8 in the front

*Natural hair can go a day or three without seeing a comb.
*Water is a great styling product. Keep a spray bottle full of it nearby. Treat yourself and make it Evian water.
*Whatever regimen you decide to try, give it a month before writhing it off.
*Natural hair likes natural products. The simpler the formulations the better. Most commercial products are developed to assist hair that is exposed to chemicals, heat, and high manipulation. If you aren’t doing those things to your hair, reconsider the product.
*When searching for styling or regimen inspirations, think about what your ancestors did (all of them).
*Shrinkage is a sign of healthy, elastic hair.
*Daily stretching can cause damage.
*If your hair wants to do something, let it do it.
*Sun damage is real.

Product suggestions:
Water
Unrefined Castor oil
Unrefined Coconut oil
ACV
Soapwort root
Jojoba oil
Wide-toothed comb.
Headbands and Pony holders made from hosiery

AllAboutTheHair

Here are my hair stats:
Name: AllAboutTheHair
Hair Type: Nappy 4A/4B
Hair Length:
7-14” from root to tip (Last time I measured it was three months ago)
Album Link:http://public.fotki.com/AllAboutTheHair/
Album password: not needed

AllAboutTheHair's Newbie Hair Tips:
*Low to no manipulation hairstyles = enhanced growth stimulation :thumbsup:

*Trim split ends when you see them or when your hair gets more tangled than you are use to, this indicates trim time.

*finger comb as much as possible

*braids and plaits are a wonderful way to grow your hair, with or without extensions

*castor oil is the holy grail (if you like to wear braided styles and twists)

*heat is not your friend (pressing combs, flat irons, curling irons)...even deep conditioning on high with the hood dryer makes the curl tighter, for me, this means= harder to comb hair...but if a tighter curl is what you want, go for it.

*rosemary oil is a great stimulant for the scalp (do not use if you're pregnant or have high blood pressure) :)

*water is the best moisturizer

* DON'T EVER USE DISHWASHER LIQUID TO CLEAN YOUR HAIR, EVER

That is it for me!!

Last edited:

Ayeshia

My stats:
Hair Type: 3c
Length: Sorry I dont Measure :(
BC'd Nov 2003

Tip:
Dont fight your hair
Leave the combing to a minimum...only when its necessary :)
Oh and Kinky twists with wolly mammoth hair will each your real hair alive. I had to cut 2 inches of my ends of becasue of that ish!!! never again :(

I really dont have anything else to say...I hate doing my hair and I try to keep it to a minimum :)

Last edited:

SVT

Name: svt
Hair Type: small, nappy waves
Hair Length: at least 25 in. stretched/straightened

Hair Tips:
*Conditioner washes are outta sight!
*No wearing loose hair to bed. Braid it or twist it to minimize tangles and knots.
*Use heat sparingly.

Lucia

Not an oldhead but posting anyways
Name: Lucia
Hair type: very thick waves and ringlet curls
Length: mid BSL stretched
Hair tips:
trimm splits
don't leave braids or braided weave up longer that 2 months at a time and keep your hair moisterized in the braids or it will split and break while it's up.
moisturize x3, CW, and deep condtioning, baggie method are some of the best things you can do for your natural hair
I try to use natural or almost natural products and stay away form SLS sodium lauryl/laureth sulfates in shampoos it's very drying.

Last edited:

nchristina

Name: nchristina
Hair Type: Fine strands of 4a that varies from coils in the back to waves in the top.
Hair Length: About 12-13'' measures 2-3 months ago
Album Link: http://public.fotki.com/NChristina/
Album password: nappyhair
Nappy Since 1997-1998 and out of braids since Aug 2002

Tips
*Shea butter is the sh%t but shealoe is even better.
*Your hair will still grow if you wear it in 'out' styles.
*The denman is good but a knockoff is better b/c it's cheaper :)
*If you are in that in-between stage and hating your hair, put a headband on and call it a day.
*Even a superhot blowdryer can damage your hair.
* There is no permanent remedy for fine hair, period.
*To build on what kristina said, synthetic hair is evil. You might be able to make it marginally better by pretreating it.
*Conditioner washes are not for everyone, for that matter neither are oils.

so1913

Here are my hair stats:
Name: SO1913
Hair Type: Various Textures (see album)
Hair Length: Layered, shortest chin, longest just below shoulders
Album Link:http://public.fotki.com/so1913/
Album password: progress

SO1913's Newbie Hair Tips:

(based on my personal experiences and may not be for everyone)

*Moisture and conditioners can be your best friend. Moisture comes from water. Frequent rinsing or spritzing can keep you hair from drying out and being brittle. Conditioners add extra slip for detangling, feed the hair additional nutrients to strengthen the hair that plain water does not contain, and acts as a barrier and protectant from pollutants, styling tules, regular handling.

*Only use a wide tooth comb. Natural hair is very delicate and thick with a lot of character. Trying to get small teeth through it is a no no. I only use a shower comb to detangle my hair and ONLY detangle when wet. Once my hair has dried, a comb does not touch it. This prevents unecessary breaking and snapping of the hair.

*Always use a leave in. I can't stress this enough. When I say leave in, I mean a commercial leave in conditioner, an oil, butter/pomade, or whatever you may use that will act as a sealant ro seal in moisture, protect the hair from the air, styling, and feed the hair nutrients.

*Clarify occasionally. With frequent use of conditioners and products, no matter what they are, you may possibly experience build up. Build up can block moisture and nutrients from penetrating the hair shaft, as well as create a dull appearance of the hair, flaky scalp, and make styling difficult. Try to clarify once a month to refresh the hair and prep it for the best conditioning and styling results.

*Work WITH your hair. My new quote is "I do what my hair tells me to, and we get along just fine". Trying to make your hair look and act a certain way that it isn't structured to can cause your natural experience to be a not so possitive one. You'll find that your hair is unique and once you learn how it acts, you can enjoy and have fun with your styling options. Believe me, a "forced" style does NOT look good.

*Knots. I think it's a natural characteristic of textured hair to form knots at the end, and I do not feel they are avoidable. However, I think you can control them to a certain extent. Going a long time wearing natural hair loose with out detangling can increase the amount of knots you have. If you wear your hair out in a "fro" try not to exceed a week (I prefer no more than 3 days) with out rinsing and detangling with conditioner. Make sure to keep your ends protected and from drying out by using your choice of moisturizer/butter/oil or leave in conditioner. Get regular trims to keep those ends looking fresh and to remove knots that may have formed. Knots are not a sign of damage, but they can be frustrating and interfere with styling.

*Deep condition!!! ESPECIALLY if you are not a conditioner washer or wash less than once a week. I find that my frequent conditioner washes allows me to stretch out my deep conditioning treatments, BUT don't leave them out. If you are a once a week or once every two week washer, I suggest deep conditioning with a good moisturizing conditioner each time you wash. I conditioner wash 3 to 5 days a week OR every day. I find that I am ok with deep conditioning ever 2 to 3 weeks if I don't find time to fit it in.

* Satin pillowcases are excellent for sleeping on. I don't necessarily tie my natural hair up as it seems to flatten my hair more if I decide not to rinse the next morning. A satin pillowcase can allow you to hit the sack guilt free while protecting those tresses.

*Shrinkage is a GREAT thing! Learn to work with it. I play around with mine all the time to get different styling variations. Sometimes I'll grab my hair and use a quick shot of the blow dryer to stretch it just enough to give me a more volumous look, or sometimes I let my hair shrink up as it does in the back to give me a more cropped look for the day. The key is to work WITH it and not be obsessed with "showing length". You'll find that you start spending extra HOURS and energy trying to make your hair do something it just doesn't want to do.

*Use hair friendly acessories. I LOVE my Ouchless ponytail holders and headbands. With textured hair, it's easy for the hair to coil and wrap up on anything you put in your hair. Those metal clasps on acessories can be a killer.

*Patience is key! What works for others may or may not work for you. Don't get discouraged. Everyone's hair is unique and you have to find what works for YOU. Be patient and again, don't fight what your hair does, and you will find the perfect products and regimine that you will deem to be simple and convienent for you. Take a day on the weekend when you have nothing to do to experiment with some styles. Remember the first try may not be successful, but practicing certain techniques like twisting hair, overtime becomes easier and you will soon find yourself and expert.

*Stalk the hair boards. LOL, I find this is the BEST source of information. No hairdresser or trained professional tell me anymore than what I've learned here that have experienced things first hand.

PaperClip

so1913 said:
Here are my hair stats:

*Moisture and conditioners can be your best friend. Moisture comes from water. Frequent rinsing or spritzing can keep you hair from drying out and being brittle. Conditioners add extra slip for detangling, feed the hair additional nutrients to strengthen the hair that plain water does not contain, and acts as a barrier and protectant from pollutants, styling tules, regular handling.

*Only use a wide tooth comb. Natural hair is very delicate and thick with a lot of character. Trying to get small teeth through it is a no no. I only use a shower comb to detangle my hair and ONLY detangle when wet. Once my hair has dried, a comb does not touch it. This prevents unecessary breaking and snapping of the hair.

*Always use a leave in. I can't stress this enough. When I say leave in, I mean a commercial leave in conditioner, an oil, butter/pomade, or whatever you may use that will act as a sealant ro seal in moisture, protect the hair from the air, styling, and feed the hair nutrients.

*Clarify occasionally. With frequent use of conditioners and products, no matter what they are, you may possibly experience build up. Build up can block moisture and nutrients from penetrating the hair shaft, as well as create a dull appearance of the hair, flaky scalp, and make styling difficult. Try to clarify once a month to refresh the hair and prep it for the best conditioning and styling results.

*Work WITH your hair. My new quote is "I do what my hair tells me to, and we get along just fine". Trying to make your hair look and act a certain way that it isn't structured to can cause your natural experience to be a not so possitive one. You'll find that your hair is unique and once you learn how it acts, you can enjoy and have fun with your styling options. Believe me, a "forced" style does NOT look good.

*Knots. I think it's a natural characteristic of textured hair to form knots at the end, and I do not feel they are avoidable. However, I think you can control them to a certain extent. Going a long time wearing natural hair loose with out detangling can increase the amount of knots you have. If you wear your hair out in a "fro" try not to exceed a week (I prefer no more than 3 days) with out rinsing and detangling with conditioner. Make sure to keep your ends protected and from drying out by using your choice of moisturizer/butter/oil or leave in conditioner. Get regular trims to keep those ends looking fresh and to remove knots that may have formed. Knots are not a sign of damage, but they can be frustrating and interfere with styling.

*Deep condition!!! ESPECIALLY if you are not a conditioner washer or wash less than once a week. I find that my frequent conditioner washes allows me to stretch out my deep conditioning treatments, BUT don't leave them out. If you are a once a week or once every two week washer, I suggest deep conditioning with a good moisturizing conditioner each time you wash. I conditioner wash 3 to 5 days a week OR every day. I find that I am ok with deep conditioning ever 2 to 3 weeks if I don't find time to fit it in.

* Satin pillowcases are excellent for sleeping on. I don't necessarily tie my natural hair up as it seems to flatten my hair more if I decide not to rinse the next morning. A satin pillowcase can allow you to hit the sack guilt free while protecting those tresses.

*Shrinkage is a GREAT thing! Learn to work with it. I play around with mine all the time to get different styling variations. Sometimes I'll grab my hair and use a quick shot of the blow dryer to stretch it just enough to give me a more volumous look, or sometimes I let my hair shrink up as it does in the back to give me a more cropped look for the day. The key is to work WITH it and not be obsessed with "showing length". You'll find that you start spending extra HOURS and energy trying to make your hair do something it just doesn't want to do.

*Use hair friendly acessories. I LOVE my Ouchless ponytail holders and headbands. With textured hair, it's easy for the hair to coil and wrap up on anything you put in your hair. Those metal clasps on acessories can be a killer.

*Patience is key! What works for others may or may not work for you. Don't get discouraged. Everyone's hair is unique and you have to find what works for YOU. Be patient and again, don't fight what your hair does, and you will find the perfect products and regimine that you will deem to be simple and convienent for you. Take a day on the weekend when you have nothing to do to experiment with some styles. Remember the first try may not be successful, but practicing certain techniques like twisting hair, overtime becomes easier and you will soon find yourself and expert.

*Stalk the hair boards. LOL, I find this is the BEST source of information. No hairdresser or trained professional tell me anymore than what I've learned here that have experienced things first hand.

so1913, I think you're my first natural hair she-ro! Beautiful hair!

And thanks to all for these helpful hints and tips. Your contributions are a source of encouragement!

cocomama

Name: cocomama
Length: 9"
Album: www.fotki.com/sephus4
pw: seafuss to most albums

Words of advice:
I just learned that if I put suave honey&milk conditioner(the cheap stuff) on my dry ends and let it sit for 10 minutes or so I can detangle my ends with ease with a k-cutter. Next, I wash my hair in a downward motion while using the water pressure to detangled w/ my d4 brush. This has worked like a charm:)

good2uuuu

so1913 said:
Here are my hair stats:

My advice? What she said. I can't add anything else.

NAME: good2uuuu
Hair Type: 3c, from what I can tell. Just plain coily all over.
Hair length: HAven't measured in ages. Last time it was 23 inches, I think from hairline to ends. I just know that if I r
rollerset or straighten, it is below my shoulders, but not quite bra strap.

Album: see my siggy to click the link. I have not updated in ages. I plan to soon though. I miss my cherrywood hair color! I'm jet black now.

MissJ

I haven't read the entire thread yet, but how do you guys keep your hair moisturized?

1QTPie

Elder Sim
Here are my hair stats:
Name: QTPie, 1QTPie etc...
Hair Type: Nappy with a spiral/coily S-Shaped pattern, medium hair with fine strands.
Hair Length: I have no idea, I would guess 10-13 inches stretched??
Album Link:http://members.fotki.com/1QTPie/about/ and http://photos.yahoo.com/j030977
Album password: there isn't one unless someone p*sses me off

QT's Newbie Hair Tips:

hmmm...

It's just hair!!!

If you aren't in love with your nappy hair, no one else will be, you have to learn to be confident and love every little thing about you down to the little nappy beads in the kitchen. It's what adds to what makes you special.

Water is your friend, drink it and 'apply' it.

You can retain length without twists, braids, weaves etc. It's all about how tou treat your hair, not how you hide it. Our hair is fragile, treat it like glass.

You can use cheap shampoos/conditioners and get the same result as the expensive ones. Just check the label and KNOW your ingredients.

Trimming is your friend. If your ends feel or look rough, cut them off. It will continue to grow.

If you hair growth is stunted, check your diet.

All hair days are good hair days.

Let your man run his fingers through your hair every once in a while, it's rare he gets to touch some nappy stuff. :lol: ;)

Everyone's hair is different, some people's hair may love butters, while others may love oils, and people like me love water-based moisturizers. You have to experiment. And trust, you will know when your hair loves something.

DEEP CONDITION.

SoAnxious12

Maybe I can help out some too...

Name: SoAnxious12
Hairtype: i'm assuming it's 3c
Hair length: as of right now it's about shoulder length again
Album/ Pics: I don't have an album yet ... but i have some pics of my hair on myspace. www.myspace.com/nak_nak. My hair is much longer than that now btw
Tips/Suggestions:
~Try not to comb more than once a week, combing can be horrible on natural hair
~ Wearing puffs everyday can wreck havoc on fine hair, protective styles are much better
~If your transitioning, make sure it's what you really want and if it is, don't hesitate to BC
~Don't make length your biggest priority because chances are you won't see some (unstraigtned) for a lil while.
~ Natural hair is beautiful. Look at all types of hair. From 2b-4K every strand is gorgeous
~Maintain a good diet becuase your hair will benefit
~Too much use of flatirons can be evil. Heat-damaged hair is just ugly and hard to deal with
~ Natural hair needs trims too
~*~DON'T FORGET TO KEEP YOUR HAIR CONDITIONED AND MOISTURIZED~*~

thats about it. HIH

FineChyna

interesting thread. i thank everyone that contributed.

quick questions-i noticed almost everyone said not to comb everyday or use heat. i noticed when i do not comb every day my hair tangles horrible. when i do comb the amount of strands do not seem to be a lot so am i wrong to assume that i am doing the right thing by combing my hair...?

in reference to heat-is heat that bad? when i air dry-no matter what product i use or whether or not i use small braids to dry it tangles really really bad and takes too long to dry. so i have been using a dryer with the comb attachment for years now 1x a week after i use a protectant and moisterizer. i don't think my hair likes to air dry at all but i want to make sure i am not damaging my hair either.

lastly-i never realized that shrinkage was such a good thing. i personally hate it because it makes my WNG and twistouts look silly, but if it is a sign of healthy hair then i will deal.

any advice would be great

shiningstar84

FineChyna said:

quick questions-i noticed almost everyone said not to comb everyday or use heat. i noticed when i do not comb every day my hair tangles horrible. when i do comb the amount of strands do not seem to be a lot so am i wrong to assume that i am doing the right thing by combing my hair...?

what works for some doesnt work for all.
if u must comb, just make sure it's a really wide tooth comb. and dont comb dry hair.

in reference to heat-is heat that bad? when i air dry-no matter what product i use or whether or not i use small braids to dry it tangles really really bad and takes too long to dry.

have you ever tried 4-8 big braids/twists all over your head? they would dry quicker than the little braids

lastly-i never realized that shrinkage was such a good thing. i personally hate it because it makes my WNG and twistouts look silly, but if it is a sign of healthy hair then i will deal.

if u hate ur shrinkage, then u could try banding your hair while it is airdrying. what's WNG mean:confused:

FineChyna

lwill38 said:
FineChyna said:

what works for some doesnt work for all.
if u must comb, just make sure it's a really wide tooth comb. and dont comb dry hair.

in reference to heat-is heat that bad? when i air dry-no matter what product i use or whether or not i use small braids to dry it tangles really really bad and takes too long to dry.

have you ever tried 4-8 big braids/twists all over your head? they would dry quicker than the little braids

if u hate ur shrinkage, then u could try banding your hair while it is airdrying. what's WNG mean:confused:
i though WNG was the appreviated version of wash n go. maybe i spelled it wrong ???

anyway i have tried large braids, small braids and it takes my hair over 24hrs to dry like that

i have also tried banning my hair when it is drying but the hair still shrinks to short to my liking so i just don't wear it out

as for combing my hair. i have been doing it with a wide comb, small sections and mostly dry because i only wash my hair 1x a week. but i do use a water based moisterizer on my hair before combing.