Chime In Vets!! Tips and Advice for the Newly Natural Ladies :-)

mscocoface

Learn to enjoy the journey and realize you are going to have up days and down days and days where you really don't want to deal with your hair another minute. When it gets to that time, just hide your hair.

Keep your routines simple, you will be tempted and some of you will go ahead and jump on every bandwagon that comes along. Don't be too hard on yourselves get back to the basics.

No question is a dumb question accept the question that is never asked. There is someone on this board that has an answer or can help you find an answer.

Satin, silk, soft material bonnets are your friends use them always, buy 3 or 4 put them all over your bedroom and bathroom so you will be able to find one.

Sometimes just placing a plastic cap over your head while you are in the house for the day or doing house chores is enough of a water bath for your hair. Water is THE KEY!

Visit fotkis of natural sistahs often, they become your lifeline many times in keeping you encouraged. Especially those who you find have hair similar to yours.

Create a hair journal electronically so that you can cut and paste many of the threads, comments, advice and addresses of fotkis that you visit. Keep your comparision statistics and pictures in this journal, recipes, site addresses for articles, great hair blogs, etc.

WARNING: DO NOT go to hair salons that have never ever dealt with cutting, shaping, or handling natural hair! Do research, get references and then more research and more references if you do decide to go to one. If for any reason you don't feel comfortable if or when you go to a stylist, STOP HER or HIM....and leave the building immediately.

Last edited:

felicia

Just because you're natural, it doesn't mean that you only have to use natural products or that they will all work for you.

I'm not a vet yet, so that's my only tip lol.

jojo70

What do u do if your ends are still permed. 70% of my hair is natural and the rest is still relaxed. I get it blown out and flat ironed once a week so it still looks permed. I would like to wear it curly and puffy but my ends are permed and thin. How do I get throught this process?

BklynHeart

Keep it simple. I've noticed that my hair feels better after I put in some coconut oil and leave-in conditioner while wet, and when dry put some moisturizing products sparingly. If I did it every day it would just feel weighed down and heavy.

quasimodi

1. Take comparision photos. It'll keep you encouraged to see the difference 2 to 3 months of proper hair care makes.

2. Don't feel the need to run out and buy the most expensive products out there. Sometimes cheapie ones work just as well i.e Suave, VO5, coconut oil, egg, mayonnaise, extra virgin olive oil

3. DO NOT try to make your hair do something that it is not designed to do. Everyone's hair is different and you'll just frustrate yourself trying to get your hair to mimic someone else's.

4. Try to find a sulfate-free shampoo. Like Aubrey Organics, African Black Soap Shampoo, Castile Soap, etc. Sulfates can be very drying to the hair. Or if you'd rather use up your sulfate shampoos or keep using them, add jojoba, olive oil, a cone-free condition, or glycerin to a diluted form of the shampoo to give it more moisturizing properies.

5. Put in the time and have the patience to learn how to maintain your own hair. I'm not knocking stylists, because there are some good one's out there and there are some natural ladies on the board that go to salons for braids, cuts, coloring, etc. But, in my opinion, no one is as apt to take as good care of your hair as you are.

6. Resist the urge to play in your hair. I know there's something hypnotic about all that new, coily, curly, and/or zigzaggy growth, but playing it it can lead to tangles and/or dry your ends out.

7. Protect your ends! This is where your growth will truly show, but they need a lot of care, because they're the weakest part of your hair. When deep conditioning apply the conditioner to your ends first, and, if you're like me and use a heating cap or a bonnet dryer, after 15-20 mins. apply somemore conditioner to your ends and/or edges.

8. Afford hairstyles that pull on your edges excessively. Be careful with the puff. It's a cute hairstyle, but that headband can jack up your hairline. Watch out for braiding the hair too tightly. Many a woman (myself included) have found themselves nursing their edges back to health after bad braiding fiascos.

9. Listen to your hair. Depending on the amount of products/oils you use and how many of them contain cones, you might have to clarify your hair at least once a month. You can usually tell that your hair needs clarifying if you notice that products that used to work on your hair just aren't cutting it anymore.

A baking soda and warm water mix is just the thing for clarifying, particularly if you don't want to use a regular clarifying shampoo (some people say they leave their hair feeling stripped).

Just take one tablespoon of baking soad and mix it up in two cups of water. Don't use more baking soda or the mix WILL make your hair hard. Apply to scalp and scrub with pads of fingers. Pour over hair. Leave in for a minute or two and then rinse thoroughly. Follow up with a deep conditioner.

10. Be patient. Your hair is growing...even if it doesn't feel like it. :grin:

LadyEuphoria007

What do u do if your ends are still permed. 70% of my hair is natural and the rest is still relaxed. I get it blown out and flat ironed once a week so it still looks permed. I would like to wear it curly and puffy but my ends are permed and thin. How do I get throught this process?

You could try a twistout, braidout, Bantu Knot Out...

Here are some links:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=4300913

Braidout Tutorial Pt I http://healthytextures.ning.com/vide...Video%3A252812

Braidout Tutorial Pt II http://healthytextures.ning.com/vide...Video:252825

Hope this helps!

Sweet_Ambrosia

*Moisturize your hair as often as needed, for some that may be everyday for others it may be every other day.

*Baby your ends as much as possible, healthy ends is one of the main keys for growth retention.

*Embrace your shrinkage...work with it not against it.

*Washing/Detangling in braided sections can work wonders.

*Avoid bandwagons if you can…once you find the right products, techniques and/or methods that work for your hair by all means stick with it, your hair will thank you in the long run. :yep:

Bigghair

This is a great thread.
My tip is to use acv and water to clean your hair and scalp instead of sulfate shampoo. Sometimes your ends might feel a bit crunchy and you think you need to trim, but it could be product build up for cones or something. Acv does the trick for me and my hair is much softer.

Also don't forget to seal in moisture! CASTOR OIL is my bff! I learned that for my hair using castor oil on it while it is dripping wet is the best move yet! Good luck with your hair ladies!:grin:

1QTPie

Elder Sim
My only piece of advice is constant...

BE CONFIDENT! Don't let anyone tell you about who you are. Hold that head up and wear that fro, curls, twists, buns, braids, twa, plaits, mohawk, puff and press n curl proud!

You are your own worst enemy, everyone else is a fan, give them a good muthaluvin show.

msbettyboop

Fantastic thread. I'm transitioning and just came in from a salon visit where i was told i couldn't possibly manage natural hair. I didn't believe them of course but it still felt good to come on here and this was the first thread I saw. Subscribing :)

NotIndianTican

I have ways to go from my dramatic 2007-2008

But I can say these steps has help my hair

Dont feel bad about the difficulties you may have with your hair

My hair is natural 4b\4zzz thick strands and takes lots of water and LOVE to maintain so like 1qtpie said and the other lovely ladies advise is be: Consistant

1. Make a hair regimen and stick to it, if something is not working take time and investigate the problem (there are tons of thread on LHCF for breakge, shedding) and what it means when your hair is breaking,shedding, not growing etc

2. Dont assume that other peoples hair is easier to maintain (whether is looks exactly like yours or have a completley different texture) they may have the same or different problems with keeping their hair moisturized, healthy, etc, you'll be surprise how many others have challenges just like you!

3. Detangle your hair in smaller parts: wet hair with water, use a little conditioner then a dab of oil in each section (dont forget your roots)

Remember healthy hair comes from a healthy body so if you are not taking care of your health (your body) your hair will be effected: Drink water (its no joke) 6-8 glasses a day and take your time drinking it, Research and talk to your doctor about supplements (vitamins)

Omg so many things I've learn or habits I've changed (for the better) I've learned from LHCF and didnt even realized: THANK YOU LADIES

Beautiful and Smart Ladies what a combo!

Last edited:

purplepeace79

1. Embrace your natural texture and love it for being what God gave you. Stop chasing the curl. Not everyone's natural hair is wavy or full of spirally curls. Learn your texture and work with it, not against it. There is no miracle product that will change your hair into something it isn't that you haven't already tried.

2. Spare/Be Rare with heat. I use heat once or twice a year. There are so many ways to stretch your hair and straighten out the texture that don't require using heat. Try them. Rollersetting is a great method.

3. Be confident. Walk strong, tall, and proud. There will be ignorance, curiosity, hate, and compliments. Take them all in stride and don't let anyone else make your feel anything less than beautiful!