Anybody up for a 2009 Crown and Glory Challenge?

SouthernStunner

My 13yr old Men
I thought my time out of my braids would be hard but using my steamer has actually softend up my new growth, I have one more week before I am back in braids and I am not sure I am ready to hide my hair again but I will. I am in my hair way too much right now and I am almost 9 months post so too much manipulation is not a good idea. Any way I did another henna treatment and then I did bantu knot outs and got mad compliments from people at work. One girl was like I didnt know your hair was that thick and pretty. Wait til I reach my goal. I think I will be doing this again next year.

Mystic

Thanks, I had no idea. What is wrong with using the gel? It's the aloe vera gel...., I thought that was moisturizing.

Please don't use gel in braids ever again. That is not a good idea. Maybe activator or a light creme, but not gel. That right there may be the problem.

sunshinelady

Thanks, I had no idea. What is wrong with using the gel? It's the aloe vera gel...., I thought that was moisturizing.

Aloe is a lot of protein and I imagine the the aloe might get gunky in your hair. Use something light just to seal your ends and then alternate between a moisturizing regimen and protein treatments.

mstar

Luxury bacon
Hi everyone! I am way too late to join you, but I've been in braids all year, and will remain in them through September, so I'm gonna follow this thread.

I have a C&G question, though: do you guys think it would be okay for me to use Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea spray instead of the Infusium? I'm (mostly) cone-free and I prefer more natural products, so the Infusium's ingredient list is kinda scary to me.

Do you think the Aphogee would be too much protein to use on a daily basis? My hair loves protein, but still...

TIA

sunshinelady

Hi everyone! I am way too late to join you, but I've been in braids all year, and will remain in them through September, so I'm gonna follow this thread.

I have a C&G question, though: do you guys think it would be okay for me to use Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea spray instead of the Infusium? I'm (mostly) cone-free and I prefer more natural products, so the Infusium's ingredient list is kinda scary to me.

Do you think the Aphogee would be too much protein to use on a daily basis? My hair loves protein, but still...

I actually made this switch myself. I think it should be fine, but keep an eye on your hair.

mstar

Luxury bacon
Thank you so much, sunshinelady! I also make my own braid spray mix using organic aloe juice as the base...do you think I should revise my recipe to leave out the aloe, to avoid going into protein overload?

SouthernStunner

My 13yr old Men
ok so I said that I was tempted to go back into braids cause I was enjoying my hair BUT after today I cant wait to go back into braids. I decided to pre poo with coconut milk and some other goodies. That did not work from the beginning my hair felt coated and dry, I decided to DC with Alter Ego Garlic and though I have used it before I usually on do 10 min with it and not a hour like today and I didnt do a moisture condish. My hair was dry and a tangled mess. I lost a lot of hair trying to detangle. I am so mad at myself because I know what my hair likes and have my staples but always wanting to try something different made my hair revolt! I think in the morning i am going to cowash with my WEN to get some moistrue back into my hair. On friday I am braiding it back up!!!!

Aggie

ok so I said that I was tempted to go back into braids cause I was enjoying my hair BUT after today I cant wait to go back into braids. I decided to pre poo with coconut milk and some other goodies. That did not work from the beginning my hair felt coated and dry, I decided to DC with Alter Ego Garlic and though I have used it before I usually on do 10 min with it and not a hour like today and I didnt do a moisture condish. My hair was dry and a tangled mess. I lost a lot of hair trying to detangle. I am so mad at myself because I know what my hair likes and have my staples but always wanting to try something different made my hair revolt! I think in the morning i am going to cowash with my WEN to get some moistrue back into my hair. On friday I am braiding it back up!!!!
Try adding honey and olive oil to the coconut milk next time SS. I hear some people add some kind of moisturizing conditioner sometimes as well.

Aggie

Thank you so much, sunshinelady! I also make my own braid spray mix using organic aloe juice as the base...do you think I should revise my recipe to leave out the aloe, to avoid going into protein overload?
The aloe is a great addition but not to braids I feel. It's too hard to keep it properly moisturized enough while in braids if you are using aloe in your hair. You would need to deep condition yourhair a lot to avoid the hardness in your hair.

sunshinelady

Just got some 12 hour micros. They look pretty, but I have too much hair for this.

I spent 5 hours combing buildup out of my hair day before yesterday. I am not sure what I did wrong productwise with the last set, but I don't want that to happen again.

Anything special to take care of micros?

Aggie

Just got some 12 hour micros. They look pretty, but I have too much hair for this.

I spent 5 hours combing buildup out of my hair day before yesterday. I am not sure what I did wrong productwise with the last set, but I don't want that to happen again.

Anything special to take care of micros?
I can't help you with micros sunshine. I don't like them because they are wayyy to cumbersome for me to deal with. I also don't know how to take care of them, sorry honey and hope someone else can help.

Aggie

I have been wearing my braids now for 6 weeks and going for another 2-3 weeks before I take them down. They still look pretty good so I may try to stretch leaving them in for another 3-4 weeks if possible. I have only been washing them once every 7-10 days and this has been helping to keep them looking so good for so long.

justsimply

Wow, time does fly by. Looks like I haven't updated since late March. Well, I'm still doing the thing. I don't think I've been out of twists of some sort for more than a weekend. I'm natural and workout 5 - 6 days a week, so that's what I do, twist it up. I did however straighten it in April and did a nice 1" cut...all in one day...washed that night and put twist right back in.

I've been in the current natural twist style for 7+ weeks. Hoping that it means I'm finally ready to loc again (want the locs, not particularly fond of the 1st year journey). I'm sure it has more to do with how hot it is right now and my schedule has been extremely busy, so the ease of the style is AWESOME. But I know that I won't feel safe to say I'm locing until after 6 months AT LEAST. I've undone a loc attempt at 7 months....

Anywho, just an update to say I'm still hanging strong and am loving this natural hair thing to death (still).:yep:

sunshinelady

I took my satin bonnet off when waking up the other day and one of my micros fell out. :sad: Took my hair with it. I didn't even feel it.

Should I take them all out?

Austro-Afrikana

I haven't posted in here before as i only found the thread once the deadline had passed however, i feel like posting today, finally.
I have been doing c&g with box braid extensions for 14months now and just wanted say it's the best thing i've ever done for my hair. I've been out of them for a week and will get back in after a few weeks.

Aggie

I haven't posted in here before as i only found the thread once the deadline had passed however, i feel like posting today, finally.
I have been doing c&g with box braid extensions for 14months now and just wanted say it's the best thing i've ever done for my hair. I've been out of them for a week and will get back in after a few weeks.

I couldn't agree with you more about the boxed braids. I have had them out now for almost 2 weeks and will be having them reinstalled in the next 3 or 4 weeks . Right now, I am hennaing, protein-treating, and DCing to get my hair strengthened before reinstalling them again.

Aggie

I took my satin bonnet off when waking up the other day and one of my micros fell out. :sad: Took my hair with it. I didn't even feel it.

Should I take them all out?

I don't wear micros for the same reason SL. I would say you should probably take them out as you don't know how much more hair you'll lose if you keep them in.

sunshinelady

Okay, I have an event coming up in a few weeks and didn't want my braids to look too fresh. I go the front and center redone. I will get the rest redone in a month or so. I just can't do another 12+ braiding session.

My hair is still very dry, I've got to figure what I'm doing wrong.

SouthernStunner

My 13yr old Men
I have been in braids since Oct (I think ) of last year and I finally realized that my hair is soooooo much thicker due to te C&G and my one year relaxer stretch. I have about 2.5 weeks left and I will be taking the braids out and finally gettin ready to relax!!!! I am so excited. I will enjoy my hair for about a month to month and a half and then back in the box braids. My stretch the next time will be about 6-7 months but no longer than that.

To the OP thanks for starting this challenge my hair is loving this!

melodies815

I am the worst C&G challenger on this thread. Honestly.

I think I dropped out because of damage to my hair overseas with kinky twists...but I am back in twists now for the first time since my BC. I am not sure how this challenge goes or if wayward challengers are allowed back into the fold...so don't put me in the shed if I cannot come back "home." I won't put up a fight about it.

I know I backslid.

I think the LHCF Challenge is the only one I have done well with...simply because low/no heat and low manipulation was already a lifestyle. I'll just check back in here later to see if I am still "in" or if I need to just keep what I am doing and go the unofficial route.

Congratulations to the women who held out this whole time so far. My hair was just suffering too much between the hard water and the hair I got that just plain cut my own hair to shreds...:ohwell:

cj

Aggie

I am the worst C&G challenger on this thread. Honestly.

I think I dropped out because of damage to my hair overseas with kinky twists...but I am back in twists now for the first time since my BC. I am not sure how this challenge goes or if wayward challengers are allowed back into the fold...so don't put me in the shed if I cannot come back "home." I won't put up a fight about it.

I know I backslid.

I think the LHCF Challenge is the only one I have done well with...simply because low/no heat and low manipulation was already a lifestyle. I'll just check back in here later to see if I am still "in" or if I need to just keep what I am doing and go the unofficial route.

Congratulations to the women who held out this whole time so far. My hair was just suffering too much between the hard water and the hair I got that just plain cut my own hair to shreds...:ohwell:

cj

Don't worry about a thing cj. This challenge is still opened to you and we won't shove you in the backyard shed girlie:grin:. Remember C&G means wearing wigs, weaves, cornrows and braids, so if you were doing any of those things, you should be fine.

I am in a lot of challenges that line up with each other so no matter which one of these styles I decide to wear, thankfully I am still an active participant in all of them:yep:.

I am only joining maybe 2 or 3 challenges next year and that's it and the hiding my hair challenge is one of them I know for sure right now.

ToyToy

I'm still in braids!! After a period of no braiding at the beginning of the year (first 3 months), I've been back C&G-ing. My hair thanks me :). Just wanted to check in :).

melodies815

Yaaaayyyy!!!

Thanks for the update, Aggie! I was concerned, but after a couple of weeks in these new twists, I remembered that I am in the C&G challenge but that I may have dropped out while still in the UK.

Well...my update is that I have had these twists for a couple of weeks and I can already tell from the couple that I have re-tightened that my hair is happy.

I washed and conditioned prior to putting them in my hair, and the only moisture was a load of shea butter.

I put shea on my scalp every couple of days as well and wash once per week. My hair feels great, and I don't think I should have any issues. I pray that I last until the end of the year!!!

cj

lady_godiva

Hair Pictures

Here is one of my crown and glory hairstyles:

The girl who does my hair only charges me $45 and that's with a wash and conditioner. I bring my own hair. She designed this hairstyle for me when I told her what I wanted.