Anybody up for a 2009 Crown and Glory Challenge?

Nonie

Since I'm here I'll post an update! Well I've been in braids since early December and I'm doing great as far as keeping it up I don't see me falling anytime soon with the braids since I do them myself. Right now I have tree braids and I don't miss my hair yet. However I'm having one major issue and that's moisture! Yes I do have a moisturizing braid spray ( African Royale BRX Braid and Extensions Sheen Spray) and my leave in spray which I switch every now and then depending on what's available.

So I take out a small patch of braids in my front where my bangs are just to check the strength and I notice I have a lot of growth but I got SPLIT ENDS!:wallbash: Something I didn't see when I had my hair out and I moisturized and sealed everyday. So as of now i'm doing the search and destroy method but is there a possible explanation as to why I have so many split ends and not to mention I haven't check the rest of my hair.

Sorry Guys I tend to post novels sometimes however I hoped I got my message across. Thank you Ladies!

Hair like anything else wears down with time. Split ends IMO are inevitable. By sealing ends at all times, you can delay their appearance, but I feel dusting is necessary to keep ends look good.

I dust my hair even when in braids throughout the year and I find that keeps the thickness uniform from tips to ends. The one time I didn't (trying to follow the no-trimming gang of LHCF), within four months, not only did I have awful split ends, but they traveled up the length of my hair so that I had to cut off 2 inches of hair just to have normal looking hair. So unless you are carefully going through your braids to seal the ends of your hair, I doubt you can avoid split ends. You've got to remember, that's the oldest part of your hair and has endured the most elements thus far. So it's only natural that part would be worn out.

sunshinelady

Went for my trim and have a better picture of what's going on. I had a texlaxing disaster about 1.5 years ago. I think between the already weakened state of my hair and the rough African braiders that I am just losing all my hair at the line of demarcation. The texlaxed hair is even a different color.

My hair is APL around the perimeter of my head, but I have a good 2-3 inches of hair down the center that's all natural and broken. So, I am going to cut it off slowly because I still want to be able to get it back into a ponytail. It looks pretty bad when it is loose tho'. Hopefully, I am going to grow out to shoulder length by the end of the year.

I am going to get my braids put back in next week.

Last edited:

jaded_faerie

took my braids down after a month, will cornrow my hair and wear a LF for the next month, and then apply my braids again.

sunshinelady

Got my braids done again today. Ended up back at the same shop that gave me such difficulty before. I hate that place. I will find a new place next time. I used Aveda Damage Remedy products on my hair and my hair feels much stronger now.

I am going to use Apoghee Green Tea Restructurizer as my daily braid spray this time. I will wash and condition with Aveda Remedy lines. Growth aid is Komaza Care Hair Nourishment Oil. Continuing to take Nature's Bounty Hair, Skin, and Nails vitamins.

Aggie

My niece cornrowed my natural hair (no extensions) yesterday and I will be wearing a wig for the next 3-4 weeks until I go to Nebraska to see my SO then I'll have braided again.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I took those braids out 4/29....idk if imma get more anytime soon. They were up for 6 wks I may get just the front in micros and the back in a sew in IDK......

Newtogrow

I took my braids down and I straigtened it to get it trimmed. I twisted my own hair with flat twist in the front.

SouthernStunner

My 13yr old Men
Ok so I am taking my hair down on Friday. I am thinking about just a 2 week break cause I am 8.5 months post relaxer and dealing with the new growth is gonna take some major prayers. I figure I will just wig it during that time.

I must admit I am amazed at my hair's growth and just imagine how long it will be when I finally decide to relax it.

MyAngelEyez~C~U

I'm still hangin' in there with my braid regimen. Planning to take them down, relax (I'll be 12 weeks post), and hendigo my roots in a week or so, and then re-braid sometime in June.

jujubelle

Is it too late to join.
I wanna do this also. I have my hair weaved up in a straight style now. My next install in June I want some Indian hair that I can switch between straight and curly, then Senegalese twists from august to my b-day in Oct. I want to retain as much as possible.
Anyone with updates?

Aggie

I finally made it into my 4 month relaxer stretch today and this was only made possible through my braids, cornrows and flat rows. Now I have to work through my next 4 months:yep:.

Nonie

Is it too late to join.
I wanna do this also. I have my hair weaved up in a straight style now. My next install in June I want some Indian hair that I can switch between straight and curly, then Senegalese twists from august to my b-day in Oct. I want to retain as much as possible.
Anyone with updates?

Yes it is. :perplexed I was also barred from joining. :ohwell: See:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=142577&page=43
Hey Nonie, this challenge is closed, but feel free to lurk/contribute. :yep:
Oy, why is it closed? It's still 2009, isn't it?

Sorry girl, you had to join by Jan. 1st.

So I'm doing my own li'l challenge on my own. Wanna join me?

sunshinelady

Yes it is. :perplexed I was also barred from joining. :ohwell: See:

So I'm doing my own li'l challenge on my own. Wanna join me?

Nonie, girl, Imma take you out to the shed. :lachen::lachen: Just hatin'.

I have no idea why folks don't read the very first post in the thread.

Juju, feel free to join the thread unofficially, but you needed to join by Jan. 1st and commit for one year to be an official challenger. Updates can be done at any time, but the only official update is at the end of Dec. 2010.

Last edited:

danigurl18

Still in braids and getting ready to take the cornrows out.. I have taken the back out so far and now it's just the front

Nonie

Nonie, girl, Imma take you out to the shed. :lachen::lachen: Just hatin'.

I have no idea why folks don't read the very first post in the thread.

Lea' me alone!

And why you gotta call me "folks"? :rofl:

J/K :lol:

Urban

man... I haven't updated in this thread for a while! Still going strong, but because of my weak edges, I'm going to stop extensions for a while. I'm going to go a couple of months in 2 strand twists, then hopefully into yarn braids.

I'm pleased with the way my hair is growing, but I'm even more impressed with the retention.

Last edited:

sunshinelady

Lea' me alone!

And why you gotta call me "folks"? :rofl:

J/K :lol:

'Cuz folks be acting like they can't read and then get all loud and rambunctious when they don't like the answer. Then, they go start their own challenge and try to have a mutiny. :lachen:

Meet me in the shed. I've got your switch picked out.

How's your hair doing?

Mystic

I completely forgot to update. I took my braids out and didn't see any growth at all. I tend to loose hair on the ends especially when they start sticking out through the braids. Anyway, I decided to try the yard braids and so far so good. The hair doesn't stick out as much. I don't think I will be APL by Dec only because from Dec-May, I didn't retain or probably didn't grow 1" of hair, lol. It is so frustrating. Anyhoo, I do not know what will happen in the next 7 months but I am hoping for the best.

sunshinelady

I completely forgot to update. I took my braids out and didn't see any growth at all. I tend to loose hair on the ends especially when they start sticking out through the braids. Anyway, I decided to try the yard braids and so far so good. The hair doesn't stick out as much. I don't think I will be APL by Dec only because from Dec-May, I didn't retain or probably didn't grow 1" of hair, lol. It is so frustrating. Anyhoo, I do not know what will happen in the next 7 months but I am hoping for the best.

So, you are growing, but not retaining? Have you tried coating your ends before you braid?

Mystic

To be honest, I am not even sure if it is growing, lol. Maybe I am going through one of those very slow growing phase because I do not see any hair falling around me. I didn't coat the hair during my last braid but this time I used the gel to lay it down nicely when I put the braids in, that's the only coating I did. I also DC 2X per week now and spraying the ends with conditioners mixed with H20.

So, you are growing, but not retaining? Have you tried coating your ends before you braid?

sunshinelady

To be honest, I am not even sure if it is growing, lol. Maybe I am going through one of those very slow growing phase because I do not see any hair falling around me. I didn't coat the hair during my last braid but this time I used the gel to lay it down nicely when I put the braids in, that's the only coating I did. I also DC 2X per week now and spraying the ends with conditioners mixed with H20.

Please don't use gel in braids ever again. That is not a good idea. Maybe activator or a light creme, but not gel. That right there may be the problem.

Last edited: