Anybody up for a 2009 Crown and Glory Challenge?

sunshinelady

Update: Challenge closed! Feel free to lurk if you didn't sign up by the 1st.

I just got my braids put in and would love to have some company. I plan to keep going for all of 2009 to see how much growth I can get.

Anybody want to join in? You have until January 1, 2009 to put your braids in. We will follow the regimen for 1 year. Reveals will be done on January 1, 2010. ETA: Feel free to post interim updates whenever you wish.

If you are interested, go to growafrohairlong.com and check out the regimen.

The clearest tutorial I've seen using the three strand method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhVJIM1E77A&feature=related

This thread may help: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=316678

Thread from long-term braiders: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=287425

I also have a copy of Robin's braiding video if anyone needs it.

Challengers:

Vanity1
MochaEyeCandy
Blkrose
Toytoy
Amwach
Danigurl18
Myangeleyes1072
lawyer2be371
MACgirl2k2
temfash
spritex
Southernstunner
joyousnerd
divad04
Urban
naijaamerican
jerseygurl
nappystorm
melodie815
justsimply
cuteazz1
daughterofzion1
mamauv2
nanie
angeldazed
mystic
winnetag
hairedity
sexysin85
radianthealth
missbhaven06
caserela
buncaben418
divad04
dlewis26
flower
ThatJerseyGirl
aggie
babs19
naturelle
lollyoo
growninpainz
aewalke
jennboo
HONEYDIPPED05
napp
lady_godiva

Last edited:

Vanity1

Add me!
I just got kinky twists last week. I think I am going to try and keep them until Feb, take them out and relax, and them put some more braids back in, just in time for summer again.

MochaEyeCandy

I plan to switch between crown and glory, and baggying under a wig. I just did my bc on Monday and I'm trying to grow out my twa. I'm in!

Vanity1

I plan to switch between crown and glory, and baggying under a wig. I just did my bc on Monday and I'm trying to grow out my twa. I'm in!

I tried baggying for a couple of weeks with my phonypony I got bored so fast, and I been itching for scissors, so I ran to a braider STAT! :lachen: Trying to get past this sl hump.

Vanity1

I just got my braids put in and would love to have some company. I plan to keep going for all of 2009 to see how much growth I can get.

Anybody want to join in? You have until January 1, 2009 to put your braids in. We will keep them in for 1 year. Reveals will be done on January 1, 2010.

If you are interested, go to growafrohairlong.com and check out the regimen.

Sounds great

sunshinelady

1 whole year is going to be tough. I plan to keep my braids for 2.5 months, wear a phony pony for 2-3 weeks, and then put the braids back in.

There is someone on here who never takes her braids out. She just redoes sections as needed.

Vanity1

So do you relax once you take them down, and then put the braids back in after awhile, or u just take the braids down, deep con for a few weeks and then put the braids back up?

shae101s

seems like I'm not the only one wanting to do a braid regimen for next year...Yay count me in. Plan to have braids for most of next year.

sunshinelady

So do you relax once you take them down, and then put the braids back in after awhile, or u just take the braids down, deep con for a few weeks and then put the braids back up?

I'm transition back to natural, so I won't be relaxing. Robin does talk about relaxing on the website. She actually suggests leaving the braids out for 2 months.

Blkrose

I'm in....I'm currently in braids now....of course I wonnt be keeping it in for the whole year it will be 2 months on 1 month off since I will be relaxing....will be following Robins technique

ToyToy

I'm in! I've been keeping my hair in braids since February. I plan to keep this up for the whole of 2009.

amwcah

I'm in! I just finished my box braids yesterday. My regimen is as follows:

1) Wash and deep condition weekly with either:
ADR Poo/CON, Keracare DH Poo/CON, or PJ stash of products
2) Apply OCT to scalp overnight and rinse
3) Apply Infusium 23 Leave In for strength (wash day only)
4) Apply S Curl for moisture (daily)
5) Seal with Joboba Oil or Coconut Oil
5) Daily scalp massages to stimulate growth
6) Redo edges every 2 weeks
7) Rebraid/reapply schedule: Feb/Apr, June/Aug, Oct/Dec
8) Relax/Progress pics schedule: Mar, July, Nov
9) Take supplements and eating healthy
10) Exercise 5-7x per week

Vanity1

What kind of braids do you ladies have? How are you styling them?
Since I am in kinky twists this go round, and I love them, but if I get too bored I may get box braids next time. I don't want mircos anymore....

danigurl18

I'm in! I want to be almost APL by December 09 and my hair loves the C&G method! How long are we allowed to have for breaks in between braids and twists?

lawyer2be371

I would like to join but, I want to wear my natural hair on 02/19/2009 My birthday and 07/04/2009...So If that is fine I'm in

spritex

I'm up for the challenge. I was already planning to use the C &G technique for at least half of 2009. I will be getting cornrow extensions though and I have put them in today. My hair thrives with cornrows left in for 6-7 weeks at a stretch. Breaks of 2 weeks between each set. Weekly co-wash and DT. 2x weekly spray with braid spray (Africas Best), moisturize nape, temples and other delicate areas with essential oil mix and megatek every couple of days.
See amazing growth! :-D

LadyPaniolo

I really want to do the braids, I've had amazing success with the Crown and Glory method.

But since my hair is BSL now in the back, It's getting difficult to find braiding hair that is long enough... besides plain old Kanekalon jumbo braid hair which I am so not feeling. :nono:

I like the nicer braiding hair like from Freetress...

Does anyone have a suggestion of a kind of braiding hair that is good for longer lengths?

DivaD04

i'm game...i'm in the middle of putting in my braids. i was going to chop of my hair since i have major breakage but opt for braids instead...i've decided to keep my hair and see if it catches up. i just picked up some ssf and curl activator for my braids. i have cg's co but i don't really care for the scent of it so ssf and the ca will be my sptaple...

ETA:
poo w/ silk elements relaxed and revive stimulating
co w/ it's mayo...until it runs out...i then may buy ojon's twaka...not sure cuz i have plenty of poo n co for now

for my 2-3 week break, split up...
for a week and/or week n a half:
i'll leave my hair down with the cg....:drunk:

for a week and/or week n a half:
I'm going to keep my hair in a back pony either with a drawstring or my mane clip w/hh ...i may even baggy underneath since i'm getting a little length

Last edited:

DivaD04

I really want to do the braids, I've had amazing success with the Crown and Glory method.

But since my hair is BSL now in the back, It's getting difficult to find braiding hair that is long enough... besides plain old Kanekalon jumbo braid hair which I am so not feeling. :nono:

I like the nicer braiding hair like from Freetress...

Does anyone have a suggestion of a kind of braiding hair that is good for longer lengths?

i know you hate to hear try the bss...but maybe google another bss....i know i like the toyokalon which comes in the same length as kankalon;s jumbo braids....or maybe invest in some hh braids long enough 4 ur hair....hth

Urban

I'm already part of a C&G challenge on BHM, but i'd love to join this one too if that's ok :yep:.

Can someone tell me what this crown and glory thing is? I looked on that one braid site and didn't get a definition.

I know the site can be a bit ambiguous. I had to read it a couple of times before I figured out the exact steps to follow. What I got from the site is as follows:

- Keep braids for 2 months at a
time. Last row in back and above
ear should be redone every 2
weeks.

- Deep condition with protein under a
hooded dryer at least
once a week.

- Apply braid spray and
strengthener to SCALP, only after
shampoo

- Moisturize BRAIDS as often as
needed.

HTH

naijamerican

I'm in; I'm currently in microbraids with human hair. If this will help anyone, here is my regimen:

- Spray daily with Eqyss Rehydrant (it's EXCELLENT for braids!)
- Seal with coconut oil, jojoba oil, or Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Cream
- Weekly wash with baking soda/water spray, followed by 20 minute deep conditioning with ORS replenishing pack. This is then followed by an ACV rinse.
- Once a week (or maybe every other week), spray with Eqyss Avocado spray since it's protein based.

My braids feel moisturized. I am determined to avoid my previous habit of neglecting my hair in braids. My goal is to attain full APL by this time next year.

sunshinelady

Guys, I am really suffering from itching. I washed my hair last night and it started itching again as soon as I got out of the shower. I rinsed really well too. I am using:

Apoghee Pro-Vitamin Leave-in
Africa's Best Braid Sheen Spray
Nasabb's Kelechi Hair Oil Spray in Lavendar
Rusk Calm to shampoo
Organix Coconut Milk Conditioner to condition.

Anyone have any ideas? Scratching like this makes me feel dirty.

jerseygurl

Not a new member
I'm so in. I got some good length this year after doing it for only 3 months. I was already planning on C&Ging next year so it shouldn't be a problem.