Any Self-Relaxers Tired of Self Relaxing

janeemat

I am:yep:. I love having total control of my hair, but dang self relaxing is no joke. I mark the entire day out when it's time for my relaxer. I plan to relax Saturday and I'm already thinking about how time consuming it is. I'm exhausted by the time I am done. I have been thinking about splitting my relaxer regimen up into two days. That means I will relax and cond and then just throw it in a bun.....maybe on a Thurs. Then on Sat cont with a regular wash, deep cond, color and rollerset. Here is my regimen now which gives me nice results:

Sectioned hair the night before in 4 sections to prepare for relaxer. Based scalp and hair (day of relaxer). Did NOT clip hair individually….just worked each section in aprox 18-20 min. Rinsed….used 5 n 1 reconstructor 5 min….neutralized 3 times….followed by Affirm cond for 5 min. Used Demi fudge/clove letting sit for 20 min. Rinsed, followed by Kenra Moisturizing poo lightly…5 n 1 reconstrutor for 5 min. Deep cond for 20 min with Kenra Moisturizing cond. For rollerset used Lacio Lacio, Salerm 21 and Mizani Thermasmooth Serum, little lottabody/mostly water. Trim ends.

naturalTAN

Just reading all of those steps gives me a headache. :nono: How do you do it? When I had a relaxer, after dcing I would just blow it out and put it in a ponytail and I thought that was too much.

But I guess this isn't so bad since you don't have to do it very often. Have you thought about cutting out the second protein step since you color after you neutralize? Most colors have some type of protein in it. Maybe you could try something like this to simplify things?

Base
Relax
Rinse
Protein
Neutralize
Color
DC
Rollerset

I took out what I thought might be unnecessary shampooing and conditioning. HTH.

Solitude

After two years, I got tired of it. I went back to the salon strictly for relaxers, but they just aren't as gentle as I am with my own hair.

Tiye

I don't relax my hair but I wouldn't have the patience to spend that much time on it. I'd have to find a good stylist to assist with that chore.

lustrous

yes it it tiring. Especially the neutralizing process. I'm under the sink for nearly 20minutes just making sure EVERYTHING is rinsed out. I'm learning to love the process. As i'm doing it now I think to myself "no one will be as gentle as you" "This time is an investment for yourself" etc.. This usually cuts down on the cursing (haha j/k). It's tedious but when it's done there is a level of pride, accomplishment and a little weariness lol that comes with taking care of yourself. I enjoy THAT immensely.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
Ha for sure! All the prepping, applying and after work. This is why my stretches are usually long. I just don't feel like being bothered.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
I coat my hair & scalp w EVOO
Apply Relaxer, neutralize. Do protein treatment, then a moisturizing DC, ACV rinse and then the chore of flat ironing my hair. My hair is never bone straight with a relaxer no matter how long i leave it on. I don't trust stylists so me it is.

Last edited:

janeemat

l Just reading all of those steps gives me a headache. :nono: How do you do it? When I had a relaxer, after dcing I would just blow it out and put it in a ponytail and I thought that was too much.

But I guess this isn't so bad since you don't have to do it very often. Have you thought about cutting out the second protein step since you color after you neutralize? Most colors have some type of protein in it. Maybe you could try something like this to simplify things?

Base
Relax
Rinse
Protein
Neutralize
Color
DC
Rollerset

I took out what I thought might be unnecessary shampooing and conditioning. HTH.

You made me laugh. For real though, relaxer day is a real chore for me. What you took out will save a good 8 min. I need to save like 2 hrs...lol. Like someone else said it's all of the neutralizing. And of course applying the relaxer is tedious. I think I'm going to split this mess into 2 days like I stated. Thanks for your suggestion.

Last edited:

janeemat

yes it it tiring. Especially the neutralizing process. I'm under the sink for nearly 20minutes just making sure EVERYTHING is rinsed out. I'm learning to love the process. As i'm doing it now I think to myself "no one will be as gentle as you" "This time is an investment for yourself" etc.. This usually cuts down on the cursing (haha j/k). It's tedious but when it's done there is a level of pride, accomplishment and a little weariness lol that comes with taking care of yourself. I enjoy THAT immensely.

This is why I have not returned to the salons yet. Plus this service would cost me around $135 dollars.

tenderheaded

Yes, I'm tired. I've got 5 weeks to go,and I'm mentally going thru the process! Last night I had a nightmare- I went to a stylist who let me fall asleep and she went home! The relaxer had dried and when I tried to rinse it out my hair fell out in clumps!

On second thought, I think I'll just do it myself!!!

Angelinhell

Nope, never. I agree with the first poster, some of your steps could be eliminated. I'm not throwing shade at you or other ladies, but I have never understood the extra long relaxer day regimens. Mine isn't the shortest though. Here is mine: Base scalp overnight. The next day I put chi silk infusion on previously relaxed hair. Relax, rinse very well(I think this is a part a lot of people don't do that well, so they feel the need to neutralize many times). Reconstructor for 5 minutes. Neutralize twice. Put on duo tex for 3 minutes. Style.

janeemat

Yes, I'm tired. I've got 5 weeks to go,and I'm mentally going thru the process! Last night I had a nightmare- I went to a stylist who let me fall asleep and she went home! The relaxer had dried and when I tried to rinse it out my hair fell out in clumps!

On second thought, I think I'll just do it myself!!!

LOL!:lol::lol::lol:

Babysaffy

I always dread it and feel like procrastinating, just so many steps however I'll carry on doing it for as long as I can!

I weakened this time last year and went to a salon as I was going on holiday that week and didn't have time but after going through the same old crap we've discussed on here several times (ripping with fine toothed comb, relaxing already relaxed hair, too hot irons, burnt hair smell, TOO MUCH grease, *****y staff making loud comments as I left about ooh she got bouncy, bouncy hair) I'm never again handing over my hard earned money for something I can do better myself. Haven't been since.

My prep is: shampoo and deep condition a week before and airdry so can see regrowth clearly, no scratching, brushing or combing.

Part from ear to ear then forehead to nape. Apply Vaseline to ears and whole hairline. Apply relaxer to front two sections, rinse, neutralise, apply conditioner being careful to avoid wetting back sections. Blowdry any wet at back with hairdryer cool shot. Relax back sections then neutralise whole head etc....

I do get an irrational fear/adrenaline rush every time I start thinking what if I mess up but I've self relaxed so many times since my teens and the only thing that's gone wrong is being under processed or burned, which doesn't happen often now I use the two halves method. I've stopped basing scalp too much as after a week without shampoo I figure my scalp has created it's own base lol

Last edited:

janeemat

Nope, never. I agree with the first poster, some of your steps could be eliminated. I'm not throwing shade at you or other ladies, but I have never understood the extra long relaxer day regimens. Mine isn't the shortest though. Here is mine: Base scalp overnight. The next day I put chi silk infusion on previously relaxed hair. Relax, rinse very well(I think this is a part a lot of people don't do that well, so they feel the need to neutralize many times). Reconstructor for 5 minutes. Neutralize twice. Put on duo tex for 3 minutes. Style.

I see you do not color, so that definitely cuts out time. So, you don't deep cond on the day of your relxer? What does "style" consist of? I rollerset set so that is more time.

janeemat

I always dread it and feel like procrastinating, just so many steps however I'll carry on doing it for as long as I can!

I weakened this time last year and went to a salon as I was going on holiday that week and didn't have time but after going through the same old crap we've discussed on here several times (ripping with fine toothed comb, relaxing already relaxed hair, too hot irons, burnt hair smell, TOO MUCH grease, *****y staff making loud comments as I left about ooh she got bouncy, bouncy hair) I'm never again handing over my hard earned money for something I can do better myself. Haven't been since.

My prep is: shampoo and deep condition a week before and airdry so can see regrowth clearly, no scratching, brushing or combing.

Part from ear to ear then forehead to nape. Apply Vaseline to ears and whole hairline. Apply relaxer to front two sections, rinse, neutralise, apply conditioner being careful to avoid wetting back sections. Blowdry any wet at back with hairdryer cool shot. Relax back sections then neutralise whole head etc....

I do get an irrational fear/adrenaline rush every time I start thinking what if I mess up but I've self relaxed so many times since my teens and the only thing that's gone wrong is being under processed or burned, which doesn't happen often now I use the two halves method. I've stopped basing scalp too much as after a week without shampoo I figure my scalp has created it's own base lol

This what I'm afraid of. Plus relaxer being left in my nape area.

Angelinhell

I see you do not color, so that definitely cuts out time. So, you don't deep cond on the day of your relxer? What does "style" consist of? I rollerset set so that is more time.

Yeah, you're right lol, the not coloring does cut out quite a bit of time. No, I don't deep condition after a relaxer anymore. I figure after a reconstructor, what more can I really do? I mean, I have three months in between to take care of my hair, I feel like that's what counts the most. I don't feel the need to try so hard to achieve a moisture/protein balance at that time. My hair is never dry after a relaxer. By style, I either blowdry and flatiron or rollerset. Depends on what look I want.

sqzbly1908

I have started going back to the salon - the time entailed in self- relaxing is too much for my schedule. However, if I am in a bind, I am glad that I am able to do it by myself with confidence but I don't have a problem going to the shop at all...

leona2025

I just relaxed. My relaxer day is quick. I don't base. I put the relaxer on I leave it on for whatever time and then I neutralize twice. I put on some silicon mix. While I take a shower rinse. Then I airdry and I am done. lol. I set all my hair on a large flexi rod at night. I've never had a salon relaxer. My mom relaxed me and then turned it over to me.

Last edited:

sunnieb

Nope, not tired.

I make it long on purpose. I want to take my time and do everything right. I only do it a few times a year, so I'm good. :yep:

Dposh167

i only self relax 2x a year now....so i'm not tired with it. I relaxed in april...and will do it again in october. i think if i had to do it more often then i would get tired of it

prospurr4

I have been self-relaxing for over 30 years and....dare I say...I like it!:lol:

I love having total control over my haircare. My touchups usually take about 3 hours, not including drying time, but I have fewer steps janeemat, for instance, I never base my scalp. Here's what I do:

- apply relaxer, smooth and rinse
- mid-step protein
- rinse and apply neutralizer (2 times)
- apply semi-permanent color and rinse
- apply DC and rinse
- rollerset with plain water

janeemat

prospurr4 said:
I have been self-relaxing for over 30 years and....dare I say...I like it!:lol:

I love having total control over my haircare. My touchups usually take about 3 hours, not including drying time, but I have fewer steps janeemat, for instance, I never base my scalp. Here's what I do:

- apply relaxer, smooth and rinse
- mid-step protein
- rinse and apply neutralizer (2 times)
- apply semi-permanent color and rinse
- apply DC and rinse
- rollerset with plain water

I have to base. For some reason I burn easy. That is why I use affirm sensitive.

janeemat

sunnieb said:
Nope, not tired.

I make it long on purpose. I want to take my time and do everything right. I only do it a few times a year, so I'm good. :yep:

Sunnieb I knew you would not be tired lol. I wish you could do my relaxers for me.

karenjoe

my relaxer day is the shortest so far.:perplexed
No base
apply relaxer, rinse well,
neutralize shampoo,
reg shampoo ( Pantene for women of color):yep:
conditioner w heat cap (of course,) 30 min
blow & go.... that's about 2 1/2 to 3 hrs max:grin:

My hair love relaxers......:lick: I've relaxed once this yr.
I always deep condition my hair monthly (which is one reason I don't wash a lot.)
I normally dc 45 min.
after my relaxer I do only 30, I don't feel I need it.
I wouldn't color on the same day..... :blush:

janeemat

karenjoe said:
my relaxer day is the shortest so far.:perplexed
No base
apply relaxer, rinse well,
neutralize shampoo,
reg shampoo ( Pantene for women of color):yep:
conditioner w heat cap (of course,) 30 min
blow & go.... that's about 2 1/2 to 3 hrs max:grin:

My hair love relaxers......:lick: I've relaxed once this yr.
I always deep condition my hair monthly (which is one reason I don't wash a lot.)
I normally dc 45 min.
after my relaxer I do only 30, I don't feel I need it.
I wouldn't color on the same day..... :blush:

I see most self relaxers take as long as I do. Add the time it takes to dry from a roller set which is an hour and half. Semi/Demi color takes better on relaxer day.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
Hm... this may not save as much time as you want, but what if you base the night before, and do a ponytail rollerset?

Source with Video

Misseyl

Nope, same here, not tired.

Imagine, for the amount of time you put into relaxing your hair, to leave that job to somebody who does not care is reckless.
Base,
oil relaxed ends,
apply and smooth in relaxer,
apply protein treatment,
neutralize, neutralize some more,
condition,
roll and
dry. No beautician is going to take the time to make sure each step is carried out.

sckri23

The only thing I get tired of is missing spots. I usually have my mom, sis or grandma go over it for me just in case I miss something.

lana

No way! I am just glad that I learned how to do my texlaxers myself. I only do them about 3 times a year now...trying to get down to two.

Always base the night before
Always cover previously texlaxed hair
Apply in four sections
Smooth edges only (sometimes not)
Rinse/Protein
Neutralize (let sit and repeat and repeat)
Rinse/Rinse/Rinse
Apply Conditioner
Rinse/Color roots of bangs only with demi permanent/Rinse well
Apply Conditioner w/heat (30 minutes)
Rinse well
Leave in Conditioner
Blow dry/flat iron

Then I shake my hair in the mirror and walk around the house swinging away...just saying.

janeemat

I see some of you ladies base the night before. I never thought about that. The thing is, I use Affirm Sensitive and it has something called protector the comes with it. I don't think I should use that the night before. But I think I can use their base the night before (can't think of name). I already section in 4s the night before to save time and lay everything out. As far as rollersetting, I normally use 21 purple rollers but lately for my rollersets I have used 13 grey rollers to save some time. I will definitely use the grey rollers now on relaxer day.