ACV rinses are strengthening my hair....

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I do an ACV rinse weekly instead of using a clarifying poo. Where in my wash routine I use it depends on what I am trying to accomplish. If I know I need clarifying I do the rinse before I poo. If I am trying to take my deep con up a notch I do it before apply my con. If I am looking for shine I do it after I rinse my deep con.

I have a 64 oz bottle that I use. I pour in about 1/4 cup of ACV, add my water, shake and pour it over my head.

HTH

scorpian

deontaer said:
I have 21 questions :). Do you guys do this instead of using a clarifying shampoo? Could you use a clarifying shampoo AND the ACV rinse afterwards or do you think that's overkill? If it seals the cuticle of the hair, wouldn't it be best to use after you condition the hair? I drink ACV as a detox but never thought of putting it on my hair because of the high acid content...I learn something new everyday.

Simplycee's answer was perfect :)

I have a question about the detox do you drink this daily? i want to try it as a drink but I'm not sure how it's supposed to be used.

deontaer

scorpian said:
Simplycee's answer was perfect :)

I have a question about the detox do you drink this daily? i want to try it as a drink but I'm not sure how it's supposed to be used.

Well, I take a teaspoon straight up and chase it with a a big glass of water instead of diluting it in a glass and sipping on it during the day. The taste is horrible...but I'm so used to it since I used to drink pickle juice and vinegar straight from the jar when I was young, that it doesnt' bother me:p...BUT you MUST chase it with water because the acid content can and will eat up the enamel on your teeth if you continuously take it straight. I used to do it daily, now I do it whenever I remember. Considering I soak my meats in water diluted with ACV to strip the fat, and I use it in my greens and things like that, I'm getting the vinegar on a regular basis even if I don't drink it. I also take ACV pills which you can find at GNC. It's great for your metabolism. When I was young, I used to wonder why I never gained weight and I used to eat like a pig. One day my mom saw me drinking it out of a jar in the fridge and told me that was the reason. I've been drinking it for about 15 years without ever knowing it's true benefits

Here is some good information and remedies if your interested:
http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/acvinegar.html#dose

scorpian

deontaer said:
Well, I take a teaspoon straight up and chase it with a a big glass of water instead of diluting it in a glass and sipping on it during the day. The taste is horrible...but I'm so used to it since I used to drink pickle juice and vinegar straight from the jar when I was young, that it doesnt' bother me:p...BUT you MUST chase it with water because the acid content can and will eat up the enamel on your teeth if you continuously take it straight. I used to do it daily, now I do it whenever I remember. Considering I soak my meats in water diluted with ACV to strip the fat, and I use it in my greens and things like that, I'm getting the vinegar on a regular basis even if I don't drink it. I also take ACV pills which you can find at GNC. It's great for your metabolism. When I was young, I used to wonder why I never gained weight and I used to eat like a pig. One day my mom saw me drinking it out of a jar in the fridge and told me that was the reason. I've been drinking it for about 15 years without ever knowing it's true benefits

thanks for the info :)..I am gonna try it and I'll read up on the info in the link...soaking meat to strip the fat is another good idea that I've never heard of that I'm gonna start doing

amwcah

deontaer said:

Thanks Deontar! I'm going to pick up some ACV pills this weekend.

dillard

i just tried this,but i think i used too much acv. it was about 14oz. water to 1 tbsp acv. I deep conditioned FIRST on dry hair using UBH,then I washed with KC hydrating/detangling. Then I rinsed out and applied acv mix. My hair did feel very "slippy" for a second but as I kept pouring it on, my hair started to feel extremely stretchy/elastic but not really in a good way :perplexed it felt weird. but anyway, i then applied humecto and put on plastic cap while i showered. about 10 minutes later i rinsed it out. my hair was a tangly mess and i coudn't comb thru it. so i applied AO honeysuckle rose for a minute and rinsed and that added some slip. i added lacio lacio and castor oil and my hair felt normal again but a little stronger. but still kinda tangly, i didn't even want to rollerset i felt like i would tear all my hair out if i did... so i (for the first time) wet-wrapped it. i'm gonna sleep with it and hope it will be dry and presentable in the morning...

Sassafrass

Okay, I must get this out....am I the only one it doesn't work that well for? I've tried it and while it made my hair okay, it eventually dried out and tangled fierce! Plus my skin must be ultra sensitive because I broke out terribly (and painfully!) and the scabs oozed all over my skin and scalp! I can only use it in my cream of nature shampoo. My hair comes out much better there. I may have used too much but it didn't work out too well for me unless very diluted. Glad it works for you guys though!:yep:

isabella09

:wave: I just wondered if anyone stores their ACV rinse in the refrigerator (as mine has started to ferment)? If so, how long does the rinse last in it’s refrigerated state? Thanks very much :)

JollyGal

Lol I didn't know it was an ACV rinse. lol my head is not in the right place today.

I use the same mixture of ACV to water (25% ACV - 75% water) to clarify and then I use diluted CON to wash. My hair feels so soft after using ACV. I might delete shampoo altogether and just use condish for detangling or use african black soap as my shampoo.
I wash my hair using the C&G technique so the focus is on my scalp when it comes to my ACV rinse.

I used to suffer from immense dry scalp before I tried ACV. I'm a bit scared about the winter months but chlorella should add another boost to my reguimen.

For those who complain about the smell as long as you rinse it out properly the smell will disappear.

You can chop and change how much ACV you use according to your preferences.

I also don't think it matters when you use it during your wash as long as you use it.

isabella09

:bump: :bump: for any ladies who store their ACV rinse in the refrigerator (as mine has started to ferment)? If so, how long does the rinse last in it’s refrigerated state? Thanks very much :)

Smiley79

I tried ACV rinses for the 1st time a couple of weeks ago and I think my hair went to heaven. And keep in mind that my hair is super short now and being nursed back to a good place in health. So with the little bit of hair on my head, I could see a difference; definately ACV rinses are going to stay in my regimen. I did it as my final step, but just out of curiosity, I'd like to try it he other way just to compare. The only thing is that if it possible closes cuticles, I don't like that because I am a DC fanatic and I want to make sure my hair takes in all the declicious conditioner I apply, lol. Since I DC with heat, maybe that can help.

BTW, someone asked in a previous post whether to rinse out the ACV when you apply it after a shampoo and I didn's see a resonse. So, for those of you who use it after a shampoo, do you rinse it out before proceeding to your deep conditioning?

bbdgirl

ITA, it leaves my hair shiny and just stronger, like the way after it feels when I do a protein treatment.
I especially like to do it now that I am 17 weeks post, I need all the help I can get to clense the hair with out too much mani. I use this and a cold rinse always. As cold as I can stand it and the hair just looks and feels wonderful.
If you haven't tried it, please do.

JollyGal

:bump: :bump: for any ladies who store their ACV rinse in the refrigerator (as mine has started to ferment)? If so, how long does the rinse last in it’s refrigerated state? Thanks very much :)

What do you mean by ferment?

Do you mean the stringy bit floating around in the bottle? Thats called the mother and it collects all the fermentation so that the bottle doesn't spoil. ACV can last for about 2 years. Just shake up the mother :lachen: to separate the floating bits and it will be good as new.

http://www.ostlerscidermill.co.uk/

@ Vainjane, it gets rid of build up and smooths cuticles.

Smiley79

I have a bookmark folder on my computer of all the helpful threads I've come across to build my regimen and healty hair care habits...this is going in right now! :)

PPGbubbles

I say use caution tho..... When I use acv once a month to clarify my hair thanks me! It was super soft and my DC was lovely afterward. But there can be too much of a good thing..... I started using it weekly in place of diluted shampoo (cream of nature) and my hair beacame hard as if I had done a protien treatment.

MY hair isnt too fond of protien so I know (for me at least) you can have too much of a good thing. For some ppl this may be a good thing so just listen to your hair and see what works for you :)

Rei

meh. i've never noticed that much of a difference to be quite honest. But i continue to do it because I'm sure some of the benefits will appear someday lol, and i've got this huge ACV bottle to use up since I don't use it for anything else.

isabella09

What do you mean by ferment?

Do you mean the stringy bit floating around in the bottle? Thats called the mother and it collects all the fermentation so that the bottle doesn't spoil. ACV can last for about 2 years. Just shake up the mother :lachen: to separate the floating bits and it will be good as new.

http://www.ostlerscidermill.co.uk/

@ Vainjane, it gets rid of build up and smooths cuticles.

:lachen: This is exactly what I mean, thank you for your help it’s very much appreciated :).