ACV rinses are strengthening my hair....

jrae

BerrySweet said:
What did you do differently to bring positive results?

Applying the ACV Rinse and then (deep) conditioner on top of it instead of using it as a final rinse.

Armyqt

Thanks for starting this thread Vevster. It prompted me to do one tonight. I haven't done one in over a year. I loved the results. After the final rinse, my hair felt very strong and looked "rich". And it was easy to comb along with using my oils.

Anyway, I washed first, rinsed shaampoo out, poured ACV mix over hair and then applied conditioner. Rinsed and I was done. I'm adding this back into my weekly routine. :up:

KiSseS03

This is a little off topic, but has anyone tried an ACV rinse w/ braids in. My CON shampoo (I think) was causing some buildup on my scalp with my last set of braids, although it was fine for my hair. Do you think ACV rinses would be helpful?

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
From hairboutique.com

"Cider vinegar is proven to not only rehydrate hair that is structurally weak, dry or unmanageable, it also will strengthen hair that has been permed, colored, highlighted or subjected to single or double processing. "

I must try this. Of all my years on the board, I have yet to try it out.

Armyqt

Supergirl said:
From hairboutique.com

"Cider vinegar is proven to not only rehydrate hair that is structurally weak, dry or unmanageable, it also will strengthen hair that has been permed, colored, highlighted or subjected to single or double processing. "

I must try this. Of all my years on the board, I have yet to try it out.

Supergirl, be careful. If you use too much ACV it will make your your kinda hard. Read around for some good mixtures. I've used it before so I knew how to mix it without measuring.

Neroli

KiSseS03 said:
This is a little off topic, but has anyone tried an ACV rinse w/ braids in. My CON shampoo (I think) was causing some buildup on my scalp with my last set of braids, although it was fine for my hair. Do you think ACV rinses would be helpful?

I currently have braids and I use CON. It's the absolute ish for washing braids 'cause no need to use condish afterwards - I just towel dry and spray lustrasilk curl activator moisturizer and oils. To remove buildup and add extra protein, about every 3 or 4 wash, I follow CON with ACV rinse, towel dry and spray aphogee keratin & green tea restructurizer. My thinking is to "clarify" and do a good "protein treatment" every month or so (just as I would when my hair is relaxed). So far, so good . . .

KiSseS03

Neroli said:
I currently have braids and I use CON. It's the absolute ish for washing braids 'cause no need to use condish afterwards - I just towel dry and spray lustrasilk curl activator moisturizer and oils. To remove buildup and add extra protein, about every 3 or 4 wash, I follow CON with ACV rinse, towel dry and spray aphogee keratin & green tea restructurizer. My thinking is to "clarify" and do a good "protein treatment" every month or so (just as I would when my hair is relaxed). So far, so good . . .

Thanks Neroli! I tried an ACV rinse today, before I read your reply and it worked amazingly! My scalp is completely residue free :). I think I'm going to try doing this every second wash, because even when my hair is out I have to clarify very frequently.

championgurl

Lady_Lioness said:
I do both methods...both method works great 4 me...what I usually do... if i'm clarifying...I would shampoo first, rinse, add acv, let it sit 4 maybe 5 minutes, then rinse...after i'm done rinsing i'll add my conditioner and start deep conditioning...

Now when I'm just using it 4 the extra shine...I would shampoo,deep condition, rinse, add acv, let it sit 4 about a minute or 2, and then rinse with cool or cold water.HTHs

Thanks Lady Lioness!
I just did exactly what you described for the deep condtioning procedure & I am still awaiting the results also. (airdrying right now).

I will try your quick method in the week, when wanting to clarify after all the MTG...

Thanks again,

~CHAMPIONGURL

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
I have to try an ACV rinse soon! I think my hair may need one of these...its succumbing to shedding and some breakage that I want to put to a hault! How often do you ladies do these rinses on your hair?

newslady

went to this site:
Http://blessingsforlife.com/hometips/vinegar.htm

Here's what I found:Condition dry hair - Shampoo, then rinse hair with a mixture of one cup
Heinz Apple Cider Vinegar and two cups water. Vinegar adds highlights to
brunette hair, restores the acid mantel, and removes soap film and sebum
oil.

and PJ's beware, I also found a product with ACV: Frédéric Fekkai Apple Cider Clearing Rinse

I'll hit the health food store this weekend to buy my ACV and take everyone's great advice!

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
I don't rinse before DC, I just shampoo, rinse with ACV, then DC. I love the way my hair reacts and feel using them.

metalkitty

Hey guys, I just now did this ( 2 tablespoons to 32 oz. or two cups) after rinsing with plain warm water (I had alot of product in my hair) and as I let it sit in my hair for a couple minutes I plucked out a single hair. It was hard to pluck out since it was so stretchy, and my hair's usually like snap, crackle, pop almost. I was surprised at how elastic, clean and detangled my hair was, its almost never like that... SO is anyone else getting good results with these rinses?

princesmich

I've been tempted to do this for a while I bought a bottle of ACV last week, I wanted to apply with a q-tip to my scalp, has anyone tried this like this? My concern with ACV is will it leave my hair dry and crunchy?

metalkitty

princesmich said:
I've been tempted to do this for a while I bought a bottle of ACV last week, I wanted to apply with a q-tip to my scalp, has anyone tried this like this? My concern with ACV is will it leave my hair dry and crunchy?

That's if you use too much vinegar, the crunchiness. Try a search for ratios and try a more diluted one.

ETA: Its really worth it, my hair's in kinda a bad state but getting better, this was just the icing on the cake for me. C'mon try it:poke: !

Last edited:

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
I love ice-cold ACV rinses! I use 1/4 cup of vinegar for every 2 quarts filtered water with rosemary EO or tea to rinse out my conditioner treatment. I do not rinse it out or follow up with moisturizer (until the next day). I believe it is locking in the moisture as the cuticle closes and it brings up more coils than regular washing alone.

Before I got a touch up in Jan., I was going to salon in Detroit named Mr. John's.

After washing my hair, I distinctly remember them spraying something on my hair that had a strong vinegar scent to it. Of course, it was in a plain spray bottle, (they had to protect the secret ingredients:lol:).

Even though I had two different textures, new growth and permed hair, my hair was strong and did not break or shed.

I think you have to keep experimenting until you get the right balance of vinegar and water for your hair type.

pattycake0701

Ladies, I've been trying the ACV rinses for a couple of weeks now. I'm kinda hard headed, so I've tried my own method and its been working so far...

I use about a 1:8 ratio of ACV to water in a spray bottle. My ACV is infused with Nettle and Calendula. When doing a conditioner rinse. I saturate my dry, greasy hair and scalp with the concoction and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Then I apply my conditioner and let it sit for about 5 minutes, then rinse. If I'm doing a shampoo and deep-conditioner, I spray my ACV on after the shampoo and apply the conditioner on top of the ACV.

My results softer, more defined and slightly stretched-looking hair.

Lucia

Yes it does strengthen the stands, also I get some shine and major curl definition and easy detangling. I try to use it next to last, I use some mayo to deep condition then use a quick good smelling conditioner to rinse the smell of vinegar and mayo out-that reeks to high heaven.

Last edited:

FeelinIt

Get you some good ACV with the "mother" in it. Bragg's is a good brand.

Now here's my question. How often do you guys use it? Every week, Twice a month, Once a month.

I have a dandruff issue and I'd like to use it daily or every other day or at least weekly. I used it straight on my scalp with cotton and I don't see anymore flakes. But is this safe to use straight daily?

LionQueen

Bump.
Great Thread. I was wondering about this for myself, when I saw someone else had a question. So, here I go to try it for breakage...

Lucia

FeelinIt said:

Now here's my question. How often do you guys use it? Every week, Twice a month, Once a month.

I have a dandruff issue and I'd like to use it daily or every other day or at least weekly. I used it straight on my scalp with cotton and I don't see anymore flakes. But is this safe to use straight daily?
Every 1-2 months but I should use it more often cause I don't use shampoo.

scorpian

FeelinIt said:

I do these once a week

deontaer

I have 21 questions :). Do you guys do this instead of using a clarifying shampoo? Could you use a clarifying shampoo AND the ACV rinse afterwards or do you think that's overkill? If it seals the cuticle of the hair, wouldn't it be best to use after you condition the hair? I drink ACV as a detox but never thought of putting it on my hair because of the high acid content...I learn something new everyday.

isioma85

I've only done this once, and I was stretching at the time.

I didn't know you should use it before DCing, my impression was that it was a final rinse? I used it mainly to remove mineral deposits (we have really hard water in my state), and it was basically the last thing I did after co-washing and DCing. Both my hair textures; new growth and relaxed hair; became very obedient after this - and very shiny! I think I used too much though, because my hair started to feel a little hard as it dried.

I'll definitely be using an ACV rinse again in the future. I got a big ol' bottle sitting under my sink. :cool: