A question for those who fear heat?

gymfreak336

Good thread A,

I will say just this, most of the problems with heat are coming from improper use of it. Even with all the threads about heat protectants, people still don't know how to properly use them and people still don't understand how to properly use their heat appliances.

We see alot of threads here asking for the best flat iron to do a,b,c but you don't hardly see any asking about proper technique. People are still buying irons without temp. control, weilding them haphazardly in their homes and then get the confused face when they have problems.

And as the OP has already pointed out, all heat isn't the same and using ceramic and tourmaline irons produces a different kind of heat that effects your hair in a totally different way.

The fear of heat is what is keeping us afraid of it. Its hard to get great discussions about heat because all people know to say is don't do it. Most people are still not educated on it enough to be able to establish their own baseline and how theirs could be different than someone elses. Not to mention the fact that when used properly, you can actually get benefits from it but thats another thread.

Artemis

Well, I'm a hard core no heat user. :lol:

regular to me is once a week or more.

Ok. See, no one I know who is a heat user is using a blowdryer more than 2x wk. That's not regular, that is excessive. I mean what are you doing to your hair (or better yet how is it styled?!) that warrants using a heated appliance more than 1-2x/wk.

But provided the user is aware and dc prior to that heat session, once/wk blowdry/flatiron, or 2x weekly rollerset is just fine, IMO. Anything more is just plain too much manipulation in general, regardless of whether heat is involved.

Artemis

Good thread A,

I will say just this, most of the problems with heat are coming from improper use of it. Even with all the threads about heat protectants, people still don't know how to properly use them and people still don't understand how to properly use their heat appliances.

We see alot of threads here asking for the best flat iron to do a,b,c but you don't hardly see any asking about proper technique. People are still buying irons without temp. control, weilding them haphazardly in their homes and then get the confused face when they have problems.

And as the OP has already pointed out, all heat isn't the same and using ceramic and tourmaline irons produces a different kind of heat that effects your hair in a totally different way.

The fear of heat is what is keeping us afraid of it. Its hard to get great discussions about heat because all people know to say is don't do it. Most people are still not educated on it enough to be able to establish their own baseline and how theirs could be different than someone elses. Not to mention the fact that when used properly, you can actually get benefits from it but thats another thread.

Thanks! Great post. It's church time :lol:

gymfreak336

Thanks! Great post. It's church time :lol:

Also, and you have told me this before, that sit under dryer really isn't always better:look:.....I rollerset last night and just used my rusk on cool to dry my hair and it dried in less time. My scalp wasn't bothered either.

Guapa1

After spending 21 + yrs BONELAXING :lachen:I am very hesitant to damage my hair again. The one time I used my Maxiglide on setting #1 was enough to scare me. Even with heat protectant my hair took (it seemed to me) MONTHS to recover. IMO my hair looked JACKLAXED and I rushed to wash it out.
Roller setting gives me all the str8ness I need right now.

***This post helped me use 2 new vocabulary words***LOL!!:grin:

What the ... ? :lachen:
Well I'm kind of afraid of heat. I got my hair messed up by some flat irons. I'm slowly starting to use a blow dryer again, because I've decided airdrying simply isn't the one for me anymore.

Artemis

Also, and you have told me this before, that sit under dryer really isn't always better:look:.....I rollerset last night and just used my rusk on cool to dry my hair and it dried in less time. My scalp wasn't bothered either.

OT: I got desperate yesterday and put st. ives apricot scrub on my scalp mixed with shampoo, lol. Followed up with tea tree oil, and I'm good :look:

ETA: If I airdry my flexirod it's because my scalp cannot handle the hood dryer. I've been keeping the pibbs on 40-45 degrees and my hair feels great, my scalp :nono:

Last edited:

Artemis

What the ... ? :lachen:
Well I'm kind of afraid of heat. I got my hair messed up by some flat irons. I'm slowly starting to use a blow dryer again, because I've decided airdrying simply isn't the one for me anymore.

That's the great thing about the blowdryers out there nowadays. The different settings.

Speed: Low, medium, high
Temp: Cool, low, medium, hot

So many variations. Even just keep the thing on low heat, low speed and it'll be fine.

gymfreak336

OT: I got desperate yesterday and put st. ives apricot scrub on my scalp mixed with shampoo, lol. Followed up with tea tree oil, and I'm good :look:

:lol: I can't believe you.....well, yes I can. I have thought about doing the same thing at times. :lachen: So it worked huh?:look:

ShiShiPooPoo

Good thread A,

Thank you.

Technique has everything to do with it.

Artemis

:lol: I can't believe you.....well, yes I can. I have thought about doing the same thing at times. :lachen: So it worked huh?:look:

Yeah, sort of. I'm gonna do it a couple more times...I can't tell if it's itchy because it's itchy or if it's cuz I'm ~8wks post, ie Jungle itch :lachen:
But I was itch-free till that evening when it was time for bed. So at least 10 hrs.

gymfreak336

Yeah, sort of. I'm gonna do it a couple more times...I can't tell if it's itchy because it's itchy or if it's cuz I'm ~8wks post, ie Jungle itch :lachen:
But I was itch-free till that evening when it was time for bed.
:perplexed Yeah, I understand what you mean. The only thing that is helping me this summer is almost daily washing.

doublejo

I use heat probably once every wash. I tried the no heat thing but hair was a hot mess. I take all the precautions to make sure the heat does not damage my hair. I use heat protectants. I use ceramic irons and ion emitting blow dryer. I maintain my style by using a scarf. I DC before any heat application. I don't think my hair has suffered. In fact I've reached BSL since joining this board. I agree with Gym, it is all in the technique. There is a great post on relaxedhairhealth.blogspot.com about Dominican salons and how some have healthy hair even with all the heat they use.

Nonie

I am avoiding direct heat because I've been careless with it in the past and it's thwarted my progress and taken be back a few paces. So I'm curious to see how I'd do if it were out of the equation. Indeed, I could take precautions and do things right this time so that no damage comes from using it, but I'm not pressed to do it. My hair strands are very fine and so light that when pressed that they kinda just hang immobile unless I shake my head like a rocker. Maybe that'll change when it's longer, but at shoulder length, it didn't swing back to place if the wind blew it one way. LOL So when my hair was straightened, wearing it down bored the heck out of me because it appeared stiff even though it was as soft as silk. I preferred to put it in a tucked under plait or tiny plaits with curlers at the ends so it'd have "life and movement". Or I'd finger-style it like this. Both the braid styles I just posted I could pull off with my natural hair, and now that I recently discovered I can get curls resembling curling iron curls w/ curlformers w/o using heat, then I know I can recreate that finger-styled bun again w/o flat-ironing my hair--which further makes heat redundant to me.

To me using heat is analogous to jumping off a perfectly good plane in a parachute. Improvement in the equipment used has made it safer to do so. For instance, there are back-up solutions should pulling the cord not work, and I bet one gets a wonderful thrill from the experience. But it's a chance I'm not willing to take when there are other ways to have fun. So as long as I can achieve other styles w/o using heat, and feel like a million bucks pulling them off, then heat will just have to move on without me.

Last edited:

Artemis

I am avoiding direct heat because I've been careless with it in the past and it's thwarted my progress and taken be back a few paces. So I'm curious to see how I'd do if it were out of the equation. Indeed, I could take precautions and do things right this time so that no damage comes from using it, but I'm not pressed to do it. My hair strands are very fine and so light when pressed that they kinda just hang immobile unless I shake my head like a rocker. Maybe that'll change when it's longer, but at shoulder length, it didn't swing back to place if the wind blew it one way. LOL So when my hair was straightened, wearing it down bored the heck out of me because it appeared stiff even though it was as soft as silk. I preferred to put it in a tucked under plait or tiny plaits with curlers at the ends so it'd have "life and movement". Or I'd finger styled like this. Both the braid styles I just posted I could pull off with my natural hair, and that I discovered I can get curls w/ curlformers w/o using heat, then I can do that finger styled bun too--hence heat further becomes redundant to me.

To me using heat is analogous to jumping off a perfectly good plane in a parachute. Improvement in the equipment used has made it safer to do so, for instance, there are back-up solutions should pulling the cord not work, and I bet one gets a wonderful thrill from the experience. But it's a chance I'm not willing to take when there are other ways to have fun. So as long as I can achieve other styles w/o using heat, and feel like a million bucks pulling them off, then heat will just have to move on without me.

My, what a colorful analogy. At least you are in tune to what works for you, and that helps you stay on track towards your goals. :yep: Awareness is very important.

*Happily Me*

I am avoiding direct heat because I've been careless with it in the past and it's thwarted my progress and taken be back a few paces. So I'm curious to see how I'd do if it were out of the equation. Indeed, I could take precautions and do things right this time so that no damage comes from using it, but I'm not pressed to do it. My hair strands are very fine and so light when pressed that they kinda just hang immobile unless I shake my head like a rocker. Maybe that'll change when it's longer, but at shoulder length, it didn't swing back to place if the wind blew it one way. LOL So when my hair was straightened, wearing it down bored the heck out of me because it appeared stiff even though it was as soft as silk. I preferred to put it in a tucked under plait or tiny plaits with curlers at the ends so it'd have "life and movement". Or I'd finger styled like this. Both the braid styles I just posted I could pull off with my natural hair, and that I discovered I can get curls w/ curlformers w/o using heat, then I can do that finger styled bun too--hence heat further becomes redundant to me.

To me using heat is analogous to jumping off a perfectly good plane in a parachute. Improvement in the equipment used has made it safer to do so, for instance, there are back-up solutions should pulling the cord not work, and I bet one gets a wonderful thrill from the experience. But it's a chance I'm not willing to take when there are other ways to have fun. So as long as I can achieve other styles w/o using heat, and feel like a million bucks pulling them off, then heat will just have to move on without me.

well said.

to each her own tho :)

JustKiya

To me using heat is analogous to jumping off a perfectly good plane in a parachute. Improvement in the equipment used has made it safer to do so. For instance, there are back-up solutions should pulling the cord not work, and I bet one gets a wonderful thrill from the experience. But it's a chance I'm not willing to take when there are other ways to have fun. So as long as I can achieve other styles w/o using heat, and feel like a million bucks pulling them off, then heat will just have to move on without me.

That's a perfect analogy for how I feel - thank you! :lachen:

BillsBackerz67

Im not afraid of heart but I dont so it too often. I usually do a good deep conditioning treatement and reconstructor before using heat. Plus I use a CHI and my curls bounce right back.

Dee Raven

I have to disagree with the OP on this. One can know all there is to know about straightening hair in a healthful way and still have no guarantee that what they know is going to 100% prevent heat damage. Everybodies hair is different. There are people with fine hair whose hair requires a great deal of heat to get straighten. There are people with thick hair require less heat. And these are just generalities. That truth of the matter is that for people like myself (and I had a very good professional straighten my hair, I have seen her work on many of my friends) who have experienced heat damage, my entire head of hair was not damaged. Just one small section in the front was damaged. And I have extremely healthy hair. So the reality is that someone can never be completely aware to the needs of every hair on their head, which clearly behave differently. The only way that you become aware of these points (if you are lucky) is by leaving that heat on the hair for that one extra second that it takes and having to deal with that heat damage. The reality for people who have natural hair, and who actually wear their hair in its natural state is that that one second too long can mean having to start all over or preventing out styling abilities. To give another example, heat is like having sex. You can use the pill, condoms, IUD, etc the only 100% way of preventing pregnancy is abstinence. For me personally, even with the experience that I had I do plan to use heat maybe once a year, but for others of us, maintaining our coils is that serious and that does not equate to a lack of understanding of heat.

Artemis

I have to disagree with the OP on this. One can know all there is to know about straightening hair in a healthful way and still have no guarantee that what they know is going to 100% prevent heat damage. Everybodies hair is different. There are people with fine hair whose hair requires a great deal of heat to get straighten. There are people with thick hair require less heat. And these are just generalities. That truth of the matter is that for people like myself (and I had a very good professional straighten my hair, I have seen her work on many of my friends) who have experienced heat damage, my entire head of hair was not damaged. Just one small section in the front was damaged. And I have extremely healthy hair. So the reality is that someone can never be completely aware to the needs of every hair on their head, which clearly behave differently. The only way that you become aware of these points (if you are lucky) is by leaving that heat on the hair for that one extra second that it takes and having to deal with that heat damage. The reality for people who have natural hair, and who actually wear their hair in its natural state is that that one second too long can mean having to start all over or preventing out styling abilities. To give another example, heat is like having sex. You can use the pill, condoms, IUD, etc the only 100% way of preventing pregnancy is abstinence. For me personally, even with the experience that I had I do plan to use heat maybe once a year, but for others of us, maintaining our coils is that serious and that does not equate to a lack of understanding of heat.

Actually you are agreeing with me ;)

I spoke about various hair types being a factor in my later posts...Of course everyone's hair is different. That's why you should know what your hair can and cannot do and go from there--ie, baseline. What I mean to say is that no one should fear something just out of fear! If something doesn't work for you, then that's fine, but to just blatantly say that heat is evil when there are so many contexts to consider is just IMO a disservice to this board, and everyone on it. And it is restrictive to that person who feels that way, not because they are "missing out" on heat, but because they have restricted themselves based on ignorance, illogical thinking, and improper use.

blasianbeauty

I was talking about direct heat. I guess it applies to indirect heat as well, but to a lesser extent.

If you put something hot enough to burn your skin (damage) in your hair you're damaging your hair in a similar fashion. That's just how I think about it.
Excellent point. :yep:

Artemis

In addition, to analogize using a flat iron to having sexual intercourse is just crass and unnecessary. The consequences of contracting an STD/STI or getting pregnant is not on any level close to potentially damaging your hair. I don't care that we are all on a hair board, but it is just not that serious.

Again, I am not trying to get everyone on a "flat iron/blowdryer" bandwagon. In fact I cannot even tell you the last time I blow-dried my hair--maybe a month or two ago. But what I am saying is, when I do choose to pull it out, I will not be stressing over how many percentage points my hair has been damaged as a result, because I know what to do for my hair to prevent that from even happening.

Wow, I so didn't think it was going to be like this...:nono:

*sigh*

Nonie

Actually you are agreeing with me ;)

I spoke about various hair types being a factor in my later posts...Of course everyone's hair is different. That's why you should know what your hair can and cannot do and go from there--ie, baseline. What I mean to say is that no one should fear something just out of fear! If something doesn't work for you, then that's fine, but to just blatantly say that heat is evil when there are so many contexts to consider is just IMO a disservice to this board, and everyone on it. And it is restrictive to that person who feels that way, not because they are "missing out" on heat, but because they have restricted themselves based on ignorance, illogical thinking, and improper use.

But that's the thing. To know what can work and cannot work, would require me taking a chance and trying things differently now and THEN, after the fact, I'd know if that works for me or not. Except, as Dee Raven said, that experiment could mean starting all over again if the conclusion is "doesn't work for me". So for some of us, ignorance is bliss.

Artemis

But that's the thing. To know what will work and cannot work, would require me taking a chance and trying things differently now and THEN, after the fact, I'd know if that works for me or not. Except, as Dee Raven said, that experiment could mean starting all over again if the conclusion is "doesn't work for me". So for some of us, ignorance is bliss.

Hmm...Okay :look:

So if you'll never know, or it takes too long to know what will or will not work for you hair, then why do we have all these threads on the board about regimens, products, etc?

Last edited:

JustKiya

But that's the thing. To know what can work and cannot work, would require me taking a chance and trying things differently now and THEN, after the fact, I'd know if that works for me or not. Except, as Dee Raven said, that experiment could mean starting all over again if the conclusion is "doesn't work for me". So for some of us, ignorance is bliss.

:yep:

Hmm...Okay :look:

So if you'll never know, or it takes too long to know what will or will not work for you hair, then why do we have all these threads on the board about regimens, products, etc?

Because most of those products/regimens/etc, don't have the potential to damage my hair. If I over-protein my hair, that's not damaging it - a few extra DC sessions, and bam! I'll be back on track. Experimenting with a different DC isn't going to damage my hair - it might leave it feeling funny, but it's temporary. Same with most products.....

Experimenting with heat though, has the potential for damage. Even if I do everything 'right' - what might be 'okay' for 80% percent of my head takes that step over the 'damage' line for the other 20%.

I'm (personally) not willing to 'find out' where that line is - because once it's found, it CAN'T be fixed - it's got to be grown out, and cut off. And even if I manage to 'fix' it so that the hair doesn't appear to be damaged anymore - it still is.

And I'm not willing to run the risk of damaging my hair for the sake of a hairstyle - it's really not that crucial. :lol:

LadyKaypnyc

Although there are quite a few women on this board who have grown their hair to great lengths while using heat. I guess the reason why I don't really use heat is because I found alternative ways to get the same styles without using flat irons/curlers/blow dryers.

ITA! Why use heat if I've found alternative ways to get a similar look?

gymfreak336

:yep:

Because most of those products/regimens/etc, don't have the potential to damage my hair. If I over-protein my hair, that's not damaging it - a few extra DC sessions, and bam! I'll be back on track. Experimenting with a different DC isn't going to damage my hair - it might leave it feeling funny, but it's temporary. Same with most products.....

Experimenting with heat though, has the potential for damage. Even if I do everything 'right' - what might be 'okay' for 80% percent of my head takes that step over the 'damage' line for the other 20%.

I'm (personally) not willing to 'find out' where that line is - because once it's found, it CAN'T be fixed - it's got to be grown out, and cut off. And even if I manage to 'fix' it so that the hair doesn't appear to be damaged anymore - it still is.

And I'm not willing to run the risk of damaging my hair for the sake of a hairstyle - it's really not that crucial. :lol:

Experimenting with products can cause secondary hair damage from the manipulation afterwards, same with air drying. In the end, at least for me, everything works differently for different people.