APL or Longer....who uses a heat protectant before straightening?

APL+ do you use heat protectants before straitening?

• Yes I use heat protectant

Votes: 123 90.4%
  • No I do not use heat protectant

Votes: 13 9.6%

• Total voters

luckiestdestiny

I use Sabino MB. I'm almost Mid back. Below bottom of bra strap now. I'm natural, but I flat iron my hair straight a lot, and keep it straight most of the time when it's not in braids.

luckiestdestiny

Two Words: HEAT DAMAGE

I use Sabino Moisture Block( a heat protectant and anti-reversion product) and dont ever have to worry about reversion. The last time I used I used it was on towel dried hair. First i used Lacio Lacio and sealed it in with the SMB. I plaited my hair let it air dry over night, got up the next morning and flat ironed my hair without putting on any heat protection (SMB). Long story short, I have heat stretched hair. I'm not bashing SMB. Its the greatest. I wish I would have applied a little just before my press.

Always use a heat protector just b-4 using heat. End of story.
Yes yes. This is primarily one of the ways I use sabino. Before it dries, but then right before I'm about to straighten it I add more!

TaurusAngel

Sometimes i do and sometimes i don't. I tend to go between Chi Silk and Coconut Oil. They both work for me and i haven't had any issues with breakage. ;)

luckiestdestiny

I use sabino moisture block. I'm a little over an inch past MB as of December (haven't measured lately as I go crazy measuring every month, and have put my foot down deciding to measure only every few months). My hair is currently in conrows. I alternate between braiding and flat ironing my hair to keep the dreaded natural knots at bay and other tangling that seems to happen). So anyways I've used Sabino to flat iron since around April/May of last year and my hair was above grazing bsl then. So I believe it works. Why? People say heat will cause set backs, and I haven't had any. I believe it's because I have a premium heat protectant. Heck, I'm on my way to WL and at the beginning April/May I was wearing my hair straight 50 percent of the time all the way until Oct. The only reason I'm braiding now, is I'm tired of having to style it and just want it out of the way. If it didn't take so long to dry and straighten, I'd probably be wearing it straight right now. So anyways to make a long story short, heat protectant does work.

Once upon a time I listened to a hairstylist that said hair doesn't need "extra" stuff, and my hair never changed lengths. Oh it grew, but it probably broke as fast as it grew because I just didn't see it. She was straightening my hair without protection. Now I straighten with protection with a flat iron, or a hot comb depending on my mood, and my hair is totally protected.

PinkSkates

I normally straighten twice a month and I use my heat protectant without fail. I spray on a light coating of Aveda Damage Control before I blow dry.

chebaby

i always use two heat protectants and i have fine thin hair and its never weighed down. i spray on PM heat seal, then i put in my leave in then i put in about a quarter size of joico smoothing balm which is a heat protectant too. i love my hair when im finished. and i do this once a week.

Angelicus

I use a very small amount of leave-in conditioner, or serum. Sometimes I may use a very small amount of oil. I only work it in the new growth though, as it is the only part that I flat iron. I have never purchased something that was referred to as "heat protectant," per se.

aja1121

I think it is worth it, however it is very hard to tell if it is working. Heat damage happens overtime, but a quick way to measure it is to watch progression in pictures. My hair pretty much stayed the same length for 3 years because I use to blow dry and flat iron once a week without deep conditioning and using heat protectants. My hair was also extremely heat stretched to the point where it looked like I was growing out a relaxer (I've been 100% natural for 6 years). Now I use Chi Silk infusion and GHD thermal protectant for dry and coarse hair. I use both just to be sure. I don't really worry about reversion too much, I actually pray that my hair does revert back.

jreagins

ive NEVER used a heat protectant per se.. but, i do DC prior to it and i do plan to use one from now on... the last time i flat-roned it smelled like my hair was burning... :nono:

lexi84

I now use heat protectant and my ends feel much better. I think my problem was finding a heat protectant that worked for me, and now I have one. IC Fantasia.

anewday

I have never use heat protectant before until last month..the very second I but it on and blow dried and pressed my hair I noticed a Bigdifferance. my hair felt softer and the press was silky. before after a blowdry it felt like straw.

LisaLisa1908

What 40 looks like.
Chi Silk Infusion or Biosilk Silk Therapy here. I used to use Isoplus Hot Hot Hot Curler, but now I know better. ;)

songbyrd517

I use it faithfully. My brand: Fantasia IC! :clap:

I either use the spray or the serum (pics attached), depending on how dry my hair is feeling. I used to use the serum a lot when my hair was dryer and less healthy, but now that my hair is healthier I use the spray almost exclusively. The spray is lighter, and easier to spread. I never did see an immediate difference in my hair's overall condition when I began using it 3 years ago, except that my hair smelled better after a flat-iron. But thinking back, and looking at old hair pics from then until now shows me that it has made a difference.

I have always struggled with dry ends, and I still have bouts with that. However, I can honestly say that the heat protectant has helped my keep my ends healthy, and, my hair does not smell like flat-iron funk when I'm done :blush3:

I'll always use it. Thanks Fantasia IC! (They should pay me you know...)

Attachments

• spray.jpg
    spray.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 6
  • serum.jpg
    serum.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 4

Denise11

If you want your hair healthy as it can be, you must use a heat protectant! We protect our hair using the best hair care products, but don't use heat protectant when using heat?that's defeating the purpose of all the good expensive products we buy. We do all of this stuff for our hair just to mess it up again? Makes no sense to me.

I always use heat protectants and I have several.

skatergurljubulee

I didn't know about heat protectant until about a month or so before discovering this site (Jan 08?). I'm pretty sure I heard about it on the old Healthy Textures.
I see a significant difference in my hair (relaxed 3c) since using it. My ends were dry and very brittle previously and now I don't suffer from split ends as much. Back then I used TCB hair grease, but looking back I'm not so sure it helped. *shrugs*
Though it has to be said, I used a curling iron once a week, and blowdried once a week. I also only trimmed when I did my relaxers- but ignored my hair otherwise. Now I can't even find my curling iron, I protective style and apply heat every blue moon, deep condition every wash, and use the search and destroy method when it comes to trimming.
I flat ironed my hair for the first time in a long while this week (at least 3-4 months, I believe) and I used heat protectant (the Aphogee Green Tree when blow drying particially air dried hair and the Silk Elements heat protectant when I flat ironed). My hair isn't weighed down and moves quite easily. I've found SE to be VERY light, so much so that I think it isn't working sometimes 'cause I don't feel the oil in my hair. lol
I'm sorry for being long winded, but I find it works for me and I'll never apply any heat to my hair when styling unless I use some sort of heat protectant.
HTH

skatergurljubulee

I use Silk Elements heat protectant before I straighten my hair. It's light and non-sticky.

:yep: Yep, that's what I use. I heard really great things about it on youtube after I initially even heard about heat protectant. I mean, it's REALLY light and not sticky at all. I'm relaxed, but I'd recommend it to anyone for at least one try. One bottle lasts a long time (especially if you don't use heat often like me). It's also about 5-8 bucks at Sally's so it's not too bad financially if you're having trouble during this recession. *shrugs* Can't hurt to try. *THIS COMING FROM A PJ- BE DULLY NOTED! LOL* :grin: