Heat Protectants: Same or Different for Natural Hair?

PaperClip

What heat protectants are best to use for straightening natural hair?

Are all heat protectants the same (for natural as well as relaxed)?

What are the most effective heat protectants?

How much to use?

Different ones to use for blow-outs? Flat irons? Presses?

Thank you in advance for responding and please add information as needed.

mscocoface

Not sure when I would use heat again, but it would be beneficial to know. I imagine pinkskates and those who have gone from natural to relaxed and vice versa can chime in on this one for us.

Come on ladies inquiring minds want to know!:yep:

PinkSkates

Originally posted by RR
What heat protectants are best to use for straightening natural hair?

Are all heat protectants the same (for natural as well as relaxed)?

What are the most effective heat protectants?

How much to use?

Different ones to use for blow-outs? Flat irons? Presses?

Thank you in advance for responding and please add information as needed.
After shampoo and during detangling, I spray on Aveda Damage Control (excellent heat protectant product) I saturate my hair with it. I want to make sure that every hair strand is covered.
Then I blow dry my hair to loosen my kinks. As I am pressing my hair, I apply a thin coating of CHI Silk Infusion from roots to ends to each small section of hair. Then I proceed to press. I have been pressing my hair since 2001 and I have tried countless products. The combination of Aveda and CHI is doing wonders for my hair. As soon as moisture/water come in contact with my hair, it immediately reverts to natural. So my heat protectant products are doing their job.

PaperClip

After shampoo and during detangling, I spray on Aveda Damage Control (excellent heat protectant product) I saturate my hair with it. I want to make sure that every hair strand is covered.
Then I blow dry my hair to loosen my kinks. As I am pressing my hair, I apply a thin coating of CHI Silk Infusion from roots to ends to each small section of hair. Then I proceed to press. I have been pressing my hair since 2001 and I have tried countless products. The combination of Aveda and CHI is doing wonders for my hair. As soon as moisture/water come in contact with my hair, it immediately reverts to natural. So my heat protectant products are doing their job.

Hi, Pinkskates:

This is helpful, esp. as I am going to an Aveda salon to get my hair straightened in the next week or so....

Per the bolded, please help me understand what you mean: are you saying that the products are protecting your hair well from any heat damage? When you say it "reverts to natural", do you mean that your curls/coils/waves (or all that you naturally have) come back?

How often do you press? Do you press seasonally (cooler months) or regularly (all the time)? How long do the presses last?

Where to get CHI Silk Infusion?

Also bumping for more responses....

stinastina

You can get CHI Silk Infusion for $10 from Publix. If you don't have PUblix, then Ulta also sells it for about $14 but you can get a coupon online from their website for $3.50 off whatever you want in the store.

I've only used CHI for flat ironing and I love it but I may incorporate the Aveda thanks to Pinkskates (I want long hair like her ! :yep:) I used Redken's Smooth Down and Silk Elements but neither are as good as CHI.

Last edited:

PinkSkates

Originally posted by RelaxerRehab
Hi, Pinkskates:

This is helpful, esp. as I am going to an Aveda salon to get my hair straightened in the next week or so....

Per the bolded, please help me understand what you mean: are you saying that the products are protecting your hair well from any heat damage? When you say it "reverts to natural", do you mean that your curls/coils/waves (or all that you naturally have) come back?

How often do you press? Do you press seasonally (cooler months) or regularly (all the time)? How long do the presses last?

Where to get CHI Silk Infusion?

Also bumping for more responses....
Hi RR,
Healthy, natural hair should always completely revert back to its "natural" kinky, curly, nappy, coily...(whatever your hair type is) state when it comes in contact with water. If it does not completely revert to its shruken state, then you have damaged hair, usually the ends, since they are the oldest and most vunerable part of the hair strand. That's why I stated, my hair immediately reverts back when it gets wet. And that is a good thing.:yep: Last week I did a hair update thread, and I have a picture showing my hair after shampooing, and you can see that my hair is 100% shruken. There are no straight ends hanging down.
So, due to my healthy hair care practices, and using good heat protectant products, are causing my hair to stay healthy even though I use direct heat twice a month. If you are going to use direct heat on your natural hair, then it needs a coating of conditioners, silicone serums, or styling lotions, which can greatly reduce the damage caused by the heat styling tools.
Blow dryers, curling irons, flat irons, can heat up to well pass the boiling point. If those tools can burn the skin (which they do) then they can damage the hair. Heat protectant products help protect the cuticle by creating a buffering layer on the hair strand.
I press my hair with a hot comb twice a month for 9 months. During the humid summer months, I wear my hair in its natural state. My pressed hair usually last until my next shampoo. I buy CHI Silk Infusion from my local beauty supply.
I hope this helps! And please be careful and ask many questions when you are letting a stranger put direct heat to your hair.

PaperClip

Thank you, PinkSkates....

I have a dillemma.... Next week I am scheduled to get my hair straightened for the first time being fully natural. I have two places in mind (new to me).

This morning I observed another LCHF'r getting her first Dominican blow-out. From what I saw--deep condition, rollerset, blow out, no flat iron), I can deal with that. I believe my hair will get straight (I talked to the stylist who did the LCHFr's hair and because my hair is natural, it is expected that they will want to use a flat iron.

But, I have an appointment scheduled at an Aveda salon, where I am TOLD I can get it straight WITHOUT hot tools of any kind. After seeing today's Dominican blowout, I went back to the Aveda salon to talk to the stylist who is doing my hair to see if this is really feasible on my hair. I have to go back there in about an hour because she has appointments.

Also, at the Aveda salon, they will do a trim and deep condition. I am not sure if I should/would get this done at the Dominican salon.

I'd appreciate any guidance....