a possible alternative 4 'hopeless' rollersetters

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
Thanks integrity! I have troubles with my rollersets...sometimes they come out alright and other times they come out crappy. I will try this! I think it should turn good.

caress

Anyone still using this method? I want to try it today. ANyone have pictures of their hair rolled up this way? I need some visuals.

Sascha

Stay at home Mommy
hmmm, have any naturals tried this method? Maybe I should be the guinea pig and try it myself.....

caress

Well I tried this last night. I had a lot of new growth so I knew I'd have to address that after my hair dried. I used Paul Mitchell Hair Sculpting Lotion and Biosilk Silk Strate (a straightening lotion). I also used a little bit of African Pride Blends Soy Replenisher because it does a good job at softening my new growth and getting it to lay down. So I made 15 ponytails and used magnetic rollers. I airdried my hair a little then I went under a hood dryer for a while.

When I took out the rollers and everything there were dents at the roots of course but the rest was curled very nicely and soft. I noticed that the smaller sections had straighter roots. Anyway, I used a flatiron and Dudley creme press to straighten the new growth and the dents that the ponytail holders created. My hair was pretty soft and bouncy.

My only problem was combing my hair before rolling it up. Though I was not using the heat of a blowdryer, there still was a lot of manipulation. Should I be using a wide tooth comb or a fine tooth comb? Does the hair have to be totally detangled? I had to comb through my new growth before rolling my hair and after my hair dried... lots of tangles. I also have some underprocessing so there was some tension there. Any recommendations for the combout process?

Last edited:

kristina

FYI for all naturals thinking about trying this- I'm a natural (4-something...I think) and I actually tried this yesterday. I don't have a dryer so I let it dry over night. (Sorry no pictures in my album yet). Disaster with a capital D folks. My hair is actually straight in some places but my roots are ummm ... fro-tastic. To be fair, I've never used rollers before- magnetic ones at least- and I didn't have the boldness to detangle with a small comb and smooth as instructed....so I see how it could work but even so, I wouldn't call this a healthy style option because it requires so much combing (and my hair doesn't like anything but a K-cutter 1x a week). I do think it could work out for a natural but you'd have to use a seriously good detangler (which I didn't) because getting those ponies in and out takes a ton of manipulation. I got a lot of breakage from the ponytails and was pissed since I ended up wearing a bun after all that work. I think I'd be better off flat ironing my hair after a braid out when I want straight hair. My two cents.

Sweet_Ambrosia

Re: a possible alternative 4 \'hopeless\' rollersetters

Integrity said:
i am also hopeless at the conventional way of rollersetting. this is how i normally rollerset my hair.

i make 8-10 ponytails all over my head. prior to that i have shampooed and conditioned my hair and let it airdry to damp. than i apply my leave ins and moisturisers. i get small ponytail bands (covered with cloth and soaked in some oil to prevent dryness and breakage at the point of contact with the hair) and make my 8-10 ponytails all over my head, ensuring each hair section is combed smooth, with the roots damp and straight (you may use WGO, coconut oil or Carolyn's HHIAB to achieve this).i then mix up pantene smooth and sleek with some oils (coconut oil is my fave) and apply it to the length of each section, and combing it with a small toothed comb before roller setting each ponytailed ends.of course, any setting lotion will do as well.

i let it airdry overnite and by morning my hair was nice and curly with bounce and movement. my roots are also soft and reasonably straight.

i know many of us have problems with rollersetting. i have found this to be the easiest way of doing it.

i hope the instructions are clear....

I already know how to rollerset, but i wanted to try an alternative method.
So I tried this method yesterday evening & my hair came out just as straight as a full rollerset. :yay:

Thanks Integrity! :)

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
Thanks soo much!!! I was so depressed today after a failed rollerset and this really lifted my spirits. I can't wait to try it :grin:

lonei

caress said:
Well I tried this last night. I had a lot of new growth so I knew I'd have to address that after my hair dried. I used Paul Mitchell Hair Sculpting Lotion and Biosilk Silk Strate (a straightening lotion). I also used a little bit of African Pride Blends Soy Replenisher because it does a good job at softening my new growth and getting it to lay down. So I made 15 ponytails and used magnetic rollers. I airdried my hair a little then I went under a hood dryer for a while.

When I took out the rollers and everything there were dents at the roots of course but the rest was curled very nicely and soft. I noticed that the smaller sections had straighter roots. Anyway, I used a flatiron and Dudley creme press to straighten the new growth and the dents that the ponytail holders created. My hair was pretty soft and bouncy.

My only problem was combing my hair before rolling it up. Though I was not using the heat of a blowdryer, there still was a lot of manipulation. Should I be using a wide tooth comb or a fine tooth comb? Does the hair have to be totally detangled? I had to comb through my new growth before rolling my hair and after my hair dried... lots of tangles. I also have some underprocessing so there was some tension there. Any recommendations for the combout process?

I love this method, my hair comes out great providing I use the right products. However I too have a problem with the comb out, I use a lot more ponytails but still feel like it involves too much combing especially once you have put the hairband in. Any thoughts?

CinnaMocha

Intergrity,

Thanks for the valued rollersetting info. I have been looking for ways to rollerset my hair that would give that full body. From what I am learning, I have not been disappointed with the level of information on here. It doesn't hurt to try another method, and I may just have give yours a shot.

CM

KhandiB

Mine didnt turn out so good when I did it a couple of months ago ..

I think I made my pony's too thick..

:(

Isis

Integrity said:
yes, do try again with smaller, tighter sections.
regards,
InTi
OMG! Pandora, is that you?!! For some reason, I didn't know you are Intergrity all this time LOL. I've been using your ponytail method since 2003 with much success everytime. :up: Thank you again!:)

ETA: Are you still doing this method Integrity? How is your hair doing?

Last edited:

Integrity

Isis said:
OMG! Pandora, is that you?!! For some reason, I didn't know you are Intergrity all this time LOL. I've been using your ponytail method since 2003 with much success everytime. :up: Thank you again!:)

ETA: Are you still doing this method Integrity? How is your hair doing?

Hello Isis!(did you also used to have another usename?)
You are very welcome. Glad this is helping you. I am actually transitioning and havnet relaxed for....10 months! Rollersetting I wouldnt even try at this stage cos my hair is really thick. I hope to BC in September! In anycase this is the only way I can rollerset so if I ever rollerset I would use this method.
Thanks for your message.

Isis

Integrity said:
Hello Isis!(did you also used to have another usename?)
You are very welcome. Glad this is helping you. I am actually transitioning and havnet relaxed for....10 months! Rollersetting I wouldnt even try at this stage cos my hair is really thick. I hope to BC in September! In anycase this is the only way I can rollerset so if I ever rollerset I would use this method.
Thanks for your message.
Thank you Integrity! One of these days I'll learn to rollerset in the usual way. It's just the ponytail rollersetting works consistently well and is very easy for me.
BTW, I've always been just Isis. :)

4mia

Re: a possible alternative 4 \'hopeless\' rollersetters

i just wanted to reply so i can subscribe to this thread i want to try this method i cant rollerset worth flip

TonicaG

TonicaG
Re: a possible alternative 4 \'hopeless\' rollersett

katherine said:
thanks for the tip, do you get crimp lines from the ponytail holders??

That's my question too. I have tried this method and while it does save some anxiety, you could very well see where the band was once the hair was dried. It was so NOT cute... I felt like 8th grade!

hopeful

Thanks for the information Integrity. I am going to try this method for rollersetting my daughter's hair. In the past I have smoothed it into a high pony and then put 4 or 5 large rollers in the pony and airdried like you do. That usually turned out fine, but due to a recent hairstylist mishap her hair is not long enough to put in one high pony anymore, until we get it back to it's normal length, I will use your method.

4mia

maybe barretts will have the same purpose as the bands for people like me that cannot part worth nothing
plus i plan to wrap my hair after taking the rollers down