Hopeless rollersetters, mesh may be the answer

HermioneWeasley

I have been doing my own roller sets off and on for about a year. I was okay at it using gray and purple magnetic rollers, but I was never able to get it to look that great. Usually my problem was that my hair "stuck" together after taking the rollers out and was crispy and hard. I read here that using too much setting lotion or mousse might cause that problem, but it happened even when I set with just plain water.

Then I started reading up here on mesh rollers and decided to give it a try. I bought the Diane rollers (no brush in the middle), used the roller pins instead of clips and set my hair today. It took longer than with magnetic rollers (probably because I was bad with the pins at first), but I got them all in finally and sat under the dryer for an hour. When I took out the rollers, it fell perfectly into place. No need for wrapping or oiling. I was shocked. My bf thought I'd gone to the salon and was mad at first that I didn't stop at Au Bon Pain to get a cookie. :lol:

I think that the mesh allows the hot air to flow more evenly to the hair on the roller, unlike magnetic rollers where you can have very dry and very wet spots on the same strands. If your roller-setting technique is shaky, then mesh might take some of the guesswork out of it.

I'm an okay rollersetter with magnetic rollers, but I've been too afraid to try mesh. Did your hair only take an hour to dry? Were the pins hard to use? Did you have the little mesh roller dent? Did you take pics?

I apologize... I'm just a little curious. :lol: I have heard of ppl having trouble with this method and I'm a little excited because some one is saying it worked well for her... :grin:

asubeauty said:
I'm an okay rollersetter with magnetic rollers, but I've been too afraid to try mesh. Did your hair only take an hour to dry? Were the pins hard to use? Did you have the little mesh roller dent? Did you take pics?

I apologize... I'm just a little curious. :lol: I have heard of ppl having trouble with this method and I'm a little excited because some one is saying it worked well for her... :grin:

I will be honest - the pins were a little difficult. There seems to be a "trick" to it and I haven't found out what it is yet. :lol: But I circumvented it by using lots of pins to make the roller stay put. I had one dent in a place where the roller kept slipping but that was FAR better than the dented mess I usually have with magnetic rollers. I didn't take pics, but next week I will. I gotta get a Fokti ...

I love rollersetting with mesh rollers. They give an awesome set, even on natural hair. I'm able to set my hair with these and achieve a smooth silky look, like a perm. Magnetic rollers I hate, they make the hair hard and crunchy and the set is not as smooth. Mesh rollers are definitely a keeper for me.

I'm definitely gonna have to give these a try after hearing so many ladies here rave about them.
Wow your rollerset must have been the bomb for your bf to think you went to the salon. Rock those curls girl!!!!!

I love mesh rollers, i could never set my hair with magnetic rollers.
No dents and the pins were east for me.
Just insert the pin from the "inside out" so the pointed tip of the pin should stick out in the front/top of the roller and lay against your scalp for tension.

I have pics in my fotki

Yes, I do love mesh rollers. I have them in my hair now as we speak, lol. My mesh rollers don't have the brush in the middle. I get them from my local BSS, and they're called "Annie." I have sooooo many different kinds of rollers that I just keep in various bags at the bottom of my closet, but the mesh ones are becoming a favorite. When I first bought some mesh rollers last year, I couldn't catch on to how to use the pins, so I just didn't try again and left mesh rollers alone. Several months ago, I went back to retry mesh rollers, only to use metal slide-in clips to hold them in place. And yes, that worked very well, and my hair didn't take that long to dry since there are so many holes in the mesh roller which allow the heat to flow through more evenly. Today, I tried some smaller mesh rollers again WITH the pins, and it set great! I finally figured out the "trick" to using the pins and making the hair/newgrowth taught and the roller secure. I'm really loving these mesh rollers.

I love mesh rollers too. My avi pic is from a mesh rollerset. I like them because they dry your hair much faster!

Hello :)
Could someone please tell me what mesh rollers are?
Sorry I'm not sure what they are, but I'd like to learn.
Thanx
HP

I have only ever used mesh rollers, and for the life of me, I CAN'T use the magnetic palstic ones, b/c they just don't stay in my hair, no matter what I secure them with! The mesh rollers dry my hair much faster, anyway.

There is one MAJOR downside to the mesh rollers, though. I have the purple ones, and they are only 2" wide. For the life of me, I can'f find any bigger than that.

Does anyone know where to get 2 1/2", or even 3" mesh rollers?!?

I'm so glad that other ladies are having good results with mesh rollers. I've heard that magnetic rollers give a smoother set, which may be true, but I think there's more room for error. Practice makes perfect, though, but I'll leave the magnetics for when I go to the salon. :D

I will try inverting the pins next time I set. I really didn't even think about it, but I figured there had to be a "strategy" to pin placement.

And for the ladies who wanted to see a pic of the rollers, here's one. They come in all sizes, though, just like magnetics. Some have a brush in the middle, which I think can be damaging to the hair. The brand I used, Diane, did not have that brush. These rollers are Diane rollers.

yellow_mesh_rollers_538.jpg

You're on to something, for sure. My Mama always had to do my rollersets, since I couldn't use magnetics to save my life. Still can't.

I now use strictly mesh, and I'm a pro. Now my Mama gets to rest and only does my relaxers every 3 months, :lachen:. My hair dries extremely fast with the mesh. I can roll my hair at 1 AM and it will be dry by morning. And I have very thick hair that usually took a day to air dry. Mesh rollers are a God send.

The only thing is, I find it easier to use duckbill clips. I don't mess with those little pink pins. They're annoying.

Mesh rollers are excellent! I love them and the set is smooth with no dents. Anyone who has trouble with magnetic rollers should give them a try!!!!! :)

I don't have a picture, but it's like this, If you roll your hair down, you put the pin in from the bottom up. You put the pin in the opposite direction that you roll. I think I may do one in the next few days, I will try to remember to take a picture. HTH

when I used a couple of them in my last attempt. I used clips, cuz that pin was pokin the mess out of me

I definitely have to agree. My very first rollerset was on Mesh rollers and it turned out nicely. Last night I set on magnetic rollers and it just doesn't look the same. My roots were very fuzzy:mad: . Next week it is back to mesh for me. Prettier curls and less drying time!:)

The few times I've had a stylist who used mesh rollers, my scalp hurt afterward. Since the pin secures the roller with very little slack, the rollers seem to pull tighter as my hair dries. Do you have to keep loosening the rollers? Is this a problem for anyone?

HighlyFavored1 said:
The few times I've had a stylist who used mesh rollers, my scalp hurt afterward. Since the pin secures the roller with very little slack, the rollers seem to pull tighter as my hair dries. Do you have to keep loosening the rollers? Is this a problem for anyone?

I loosen the rollers as my hair dries, it can be annoying but its worth the faster drying time.

seeminglysweet said:
I loosen the rollers as my hair dries, it can be annoying but its worth the faster drying time.

I do the same. Sometimes when its almost dry I take all the pins out.

HermioneWeasley said:
I'm so glad that other ladies are having good results with mesh rollers. I've heard that magnetic rollers give a smoother set, which may be true, but I think there's more room for error. Practice makes perfect, though, but I'll leave the magnetics for when I go to the salon. :D

I will try inverting the pins next time I set. I really didn't even think about it, but I figured there had to be a "strategy" to pin placement.

And for the ladies who wanted to see a pic of the rollers, here's one. They come in all sizes, though, just like magnetics. Some have a brush in the middle, which I think can be damaging to the hair. The brand I used, Diane, did not have that brush. These rollers are Diane rollers.

yellow_mesh_rollers_538.jpg

Thank you SOO much. I'm definitely going to look into these

meshrollersetback4ww.jpg

Someone asked a question about how you get the rods to stay in. Here's a close up of the back of the set. I used rods. See where the arrow is, there are two grooves on every roller to hold the rubber band. If you twist the band to the next groove, it will keep the rod in place. HTH. :)

Back