2014 Relaxed Hair Buddy Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

baddison

natural for good
@PrettyinPink001 @divachyk, @Luprisi, @baddison, @DominicanBrazilian82, @Nix08, @Cherry89, @Jobwright @Saludable84

Hey buds!

Divachyck - my goal for 2014 is retention! I've been in the hair game much too long to only be at BSL. I tend to get hair lazy and just go with the flow. My hair can't take that.

I simply can't wear my hair out daily. I also got back into sealing my ends with oil. Not sure why I stopped.

I'm going to stick with washing my hair 3x a week (cowash, dc, and honey wash) because that's what my hair demands in order to thrive. I've tried every other way around it,so I've got to stay on it.

I don't want to be stuck at this same length at the end of this year. :nono:

@PrettyinPink001 @divachyk, @Luprisi, @DominicanBrazilian82, @Nix08, @Cherry89, @Jobwright

sunnieb I know what you mean. I feel like I'm not making any progress either. I've been at this for so long and I dont even think I'm BSL yet. Havent taken any updated shots cause I don't feel any change.:sad::sad:

But I've come this far...so I might as well hold on a little while longer. This year, I think I'm gonna find a sylist to get my 3 touchups done. My arms are just tired self-relaxing. I'll focus on maintenance and some thicker ends for 2014.:yep::yep:

Saludable84 Welcome to the team!!!! We are stretchers, and you're gonna have a blast with us!!:grin::grin:

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Hey buddy! I'm on a mission for a banging body this year as well. 2013 was a bust for my hair :sad: Therefore, I'm starting over for 2014. EnExitStageLeft and Cattypus1 good luck on your transitions. I did a mini chop and cut my hair back down to pixie length. Relaxer day is this Friday. KiWiStyle and SunySydeofLyfe, you guys seem to be relaxing around the same time. Happy New Year's ladies!

Thanks, I'm still mostly relaxed so I'm going to hang around till y'all kick me out. I'm six months post and just did my second "touch up" with Chi Enviro. I can't wait to see what my hair will be like when the unrelaxed hair is longer than the relaxed hair. I have had a couple of chops to try and get this mess cleaned up. I'm a WIP. Good luck, ladies. I know I'm a little late but happy new year!

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
@PrettyinPink001 @divachyk, @Luprisi, @DominicanBrazilian82, @Nix08, @Cherry89, @Jobwright sunnieb I know what you mean. I feel like I'm not making any progress either. I've been at this for so long and I dont even think I'm BSL yet. Havent taken any updated shots cause I don't feel any change.:sad::sad: But I've come this far...so I might as well hold on a little while longer. This year, I think I'm gonna find a sylist to get my 3 touchups done. My arms are just tired self-relaxing. I'll focus on maintenance and some thicker ends for 2014.:yep::yep: Saludable84 Welcome to the team!!!! We are stretchers, and you're gonna have a blast with us!!:grin::grin:

I feel you ladies on this one. I feel like my hair has been at a standstill but it is growing some. I'm claiming substantial growth in 2014 but I do want to cut a few inches off my bonelaxed ends...they're driving me nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

naija24

How many ladies in here use texturizer vs relaxers? Is one healthier/better than the other?

How is it different from texlax?

sunnieb

I know what you mean. I feel like I'm not making any progress either. I've been at this for so long and I dont even think I'm BSL yet. Havent taken any updated shots cause I don't feel any change.:sad::sad:

But I've come this far...so I might as well hold on a little while longer. This year, I think I'm gonna find a sylist to get my 3 touchups done. My arms are just tired self-relaxing. I'll focus on maintenance and some thicker ends for 2014.:yep::yep:

Welcome to the team!!!! We are stretchers, and you're gonna have a blast with us!!:grin::grin:

baddison Hmmm, I don't take update/length shots at all! I used to take pics every week!

Maybe I also need to make a point to do more length checks and update my Fotki. I used to stay on track my seeing my hair more often.

EnExitStageLeft

@sunnieb

Girl I needed that hug. I manage to get through it pretty easy, so I guess I can't complain. I beat it into submission with my scarf lol

Last edited:

Honey Bee

@PureSilver, can you and @Morrighan team up with Honey Bee if she still needs a bud?
Where y'all at?

re: my first self-administered TU. I begged my mother to come over and supervise. :lol: I wash my hair in the sink, so I was gonna do the front half first. Jen at Just Grow Already covers the undone half in a shower cap secured with the little metal clips. Is that a good idea? :confused:

This is stressing me out. I wish I had a stylist I trust to do chemical services. :ohwell:

Morrighan

PureSilver Honey Bee I've not done the half and half method before. I'm too afraid to try myself. My shower has a detachable hose so I usually wash my hair with that when doing relaxers. I wouldn't use metal clips though because that will react with the relaxer if it touches accidentally. How would you rinse the back without it getting to the hair you've already done? I've seen youtubers do it left to right rather than front to back.

I'm preparing to relax next week. Usually I use ors but after reading the comments about it on here I'm not sure. I have noticed it leaves my hair a bit flat but I thought all relaxers did that didn't realise it was just that brand. Traycee just did a review of motions which I might try. I would have to order it online since I live in the UK and shops in my city have limited choice for relaxers. I also need to do hard protein tomorrow but know I'm running low on aphogee 2 step :-(

PureSilver

I've used motions for years when i was relaxed before going natural and then relaxing again recently. I didn't know much about hair care or relaxers then and thought Motions was the bizniz, but i now realise i was using the super strength :nono: :nono: which did make my hair more than bone straight (is that even possible) but i made my hair super thin too. The strength was just too strong for my fine strands.

If i ever decide to self relax i would do side to side method if doing the half and half; i believe its so much easier to rinse the section that is done first and you have more control. Morrighan honeybee

ckisland

Saludable84 , I don't know how I missed that you were looking for a buddy :sad:. You've helped me so much!!! I would have loved to be one of your buddies :hug2:.

naturalagain2 , do you have a buddy??? I thought I had asked before but I may have just typed out a post and forgot to submit it :lol:.

coolsista-paris tapioca_pudding, how are y'all doing?? I cowashed for the first time Sunday, and I haven't noticed any flaky scalp :yay:. Shampooing was probably exacerbating my dry scalp issue. Duh :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Honey Bee

@PureSilver @Honey Bee I've not done the half and half method before. I'm too afraid to try myself. My shower has a detachable hose so I usually wash my hair with that when doing relaxers. I wouldn't use metal clips though because that will react with the relaxer if it touches accidentally. How would you rinse the back without it getting to the hair you've already done? I've seen youtubers do it left to right rather than front to back.

If i ever decide to self relax i would do side to side method if doing the half and half; i believe its so much easier to rinse the section that is done first and you have more control. @Morrighan @honeybee

Morrighan, PureSilver, I decided to do the half-and-half method this time because I have 6 mos. of new growth to get through. I don't think I'm able to move fast enough to do it all in the allocated time. This is how she rinses it out, front and back. It makes more sense to me than the other way because it seems more difficult to keep a 'side-by-side half' dry. As far as keeping the front half protected while I'm rinsing out the back, I was just gonna slather it in neutralizer and French Perm Stabilizer (Roux makes my hair hard) and maybe cover with a shower cap. My sink has a detachable hose, so I'm able to control the stream of water.

I know that metal reacts badly with the chemicals in relaxers. You can see how she does it in this vid, but they end up on the inside of the plastic cap, not in contact with the relaxer.

I don't wash or relax in the shower because I have sensitive skin. I was forced to use the tub once and I just knelt next to the tub and pulled the hose down. :lol: I can't imagine trying to keep the relaxer off of my whole body, I would freak totally out.

Protein treatment tonight. Maybe I'll practice my half-and-half rinsing. :yep:

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I keep staring at this henna and indigo.....STRAIGHT UP READY! EEEEEPPPPPP!

Girl me too. I say everyday that I'm going to mix it but then find a million and 1 ways why I don't have time. Meanwhile, my grays popping, locking and dropping all over the place.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
ckisland,

Yeah girl. But we all still help each other anyway so ill still be here giving bits and pieces of my brain as usual.

Misseyl

sunnieb Happy New Year!

How many weeks post are you right now? I'm 12 weeks and counting

How long are you stretching? Normally 16 weeks

Any other info? I'm my hair worst enemy. I stretched for two years and 6 months, relaxed in July 2012 and wasn't happy with the results. I chopped off my relaxed ends yesterday and will be texlaxing from now on. I've revamped my regime and have formulated a product that might be just what the doctor ordered. I am giving myself until January 2015, if I'm still not happy, I think I'm going to stop caring about the health of my hair, cut it off and wear big earrings.

tapioca_pudding

ckisland Hey lady! :wavey: Im doing pretty good... Ive just been keeping my hair moist and clipped up. My newgrowth isnt giving me too much static but Im only 7 weeks post. Trying to decide what is the best time to relax.

I bought some AOHSR to add to my arsenal; I didn't have a DC that was purely moisture. I've actually been using it to moisturize my ends and sealing with Kiehl's argan oil. My ends feel SO amazing!! I have to be careful not to overmoisturize, but since I did that henna treatment I think I expereinced a tiny bit of protein overload; my hair was feeling hard and dry. So hopefully a quick DC with the AOHSR will get me back right!

Im glad your scalp issues are fading! This dry arse weather will give anyone the blues....

Morrighan

Honey Bee I see what you mean about the front to back method. That would work. I've texlaxed all in one go after being 7 months post before so I'll stick to that rather than half and half. I also stand over the tub rather than in it when rinsing the relaxer out. PureSilver Did you ever try motions in regular? If so how did it turn out?

Rnjones

@Morrighan, @PureSilver, I decided to do the half-and-half method this time because I have 6 mos. of new growth to get through. I don't think I'm able to move fast enough to do it all in the allocated time. This is how she rinses it out, front and back. It makes more sense to me than the other way because it seems more difficult to keep a 'side-by-side half' dry. As far as keeping the front half protected while I'm rinsing out the back, I was just gonna slather it in neutralizer and French Perm Stabilizer (Roux makes my hair hard) and maybe cover with a shower cap. My sink has a detachable hose, so I'm able to control the stream of water.

I know that metal reacts badly with the chemicals in relaxers. You can see how she does it in this vid, but they end up on the inside of the plastic cap, not in contact with the relaxer.

I don't wash or relax in the shower because I have sensitive skin. I was forced to use the tub once and I just knelt next to the tub and pulled the hose down. :lol: I can't imagine trying to keep the relaxer off of my whole body, I would freak totally out.

Protein treatment tonight. Maybe I'll practice my half-and-half rinsing. :yep:

This. Since switching to lye i've been doing half and half (front and back) to ensure equal processing time and plus i don't work fast enough. I do the front first because it is easier to lean over the sink and rinse. I then apply the protein condish or neutralizer and let it sit on my hair while covered with a cap. While the front is neutralizing, i then relax the back half. So far this has worked well for me.

ckisland

ckisland Hey lady! :wavey: Im doing pretty good... Ive just been keeping my hair moist and clipped up. My newgrowth isnt giving me too much static but Im only 7 weeks post. Trying to decide what is the best time to relax.

I bought some AOHSR to add to my arsenal; I didn't have a DC that was purely moisture. I've actually been using it to moisturize my ends and sealing with Kiehl's argan oil. My ends feel SO amazing!! I have to be careful not to overmoisturize, but since I did that henna treatment I think I expereinced a tiny bit of protein overload; my hair was feeling hard and dry. So hopefully a quick DC with the AOHSR will get me back right!

Im glad your scalp issues are fading! This dry arse weather will give anyone the blues....

It's awesome to here that things are going smoothly. And way to recover from that protein overload!!! We can't be playing around :lol: Oh my goodness, I'm glad my scalp is doing fine right now. Not only was it flaking, it was tender too :nono:. But now I don't know how often I should shampoo. I would like to continue a flake free life, but I need to make sure my scalps clean. Maybe I should give it another week and then poo? Or maybe try an ACV rinse? Hmmmm

tapioca_pudding

ckisland Girl I know, I was so worried about that protein overload like, I cant HAVE no issues! :lol: RE: how often to shampoo, I say play it by ear. Maybe first try alternating cowashing and shampooing to see what results you get, then add more of either one depending on how it goes. So if you get flakes right away then maybe cowash two weeks in a row then shampoo.. Have you ever done an ACV rinse before? Did it do anything to your hair? If not, hell, try that too. :lachen: Just trial and error but I don't think the results will be disastrous.

PureSilver

Honey Bee I see what you mean about the front to back method. That would work. I've texlaxed all in one go after being 7 months post before so I'll stick to that rather than half and half. I also stand over the tub rather than in it when rinsing the relaxer out. PureSilver Did you ever try motions in regular? If so how did it turn out?

Morrighan i don't remember if i did but i also tried the herbal motions and my hair hated it.

ckisland

tapioca_pudding, We got goals to achieve!! Can't be playing around with no dang setbacks :lachen:. Okay. I'm done being hyped up :lol: . I've done a couple ACV rinses while natural and never had a bad experience with them. I'll definitely be trying that :yep:. And better to try in now vs. when I have several more weeks of new growth.

PrettyinPink001

@PrettyinPink001 @divachyk, @Luprisi, @baddison, @DominicanBrazilian82, @Nix08, @Cherry89, @Jobwright @Saludable84

Hey buds!

Divachyck - my goal for 2014 is retention! I've been in the hair game much too long to only be at BSL. I tend to get hair lazy and just go with the flow. My hair can't take that.

I simply can't wear my hair out daily. I also got back into sealing my ends with oil. Not sure why I stopped.

I'm going to stick with washing my hair 3x a week (cowash, dc, and honey wash) because that's what my hair demands in order to thrive. I've tried every other way around it,so I've got to stay on it.

I don't want to be stuck at this same length at the end of this year. :nono:
When you co wash, what products do you use? Its like trial and error for me now.

Status
Not open for further replies.