*2009* ~Natural Support Thread~

Faith

oh question: for those of you who use Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle to DC..do you follow the instructions and put on hair before poo'ing? (I haven't had opportunity to wade through the many pages on the most recent DC thread). TIA
I used it after shampooing. For prepooing I tend to use oils.

lilsparkle825

I'm trying a low-mani thing right now. I too am thinking of braids or a sew-in to become even lower-mani. I was cowashing every other day cause I am addicted to the feeling of water on my scalp, but I fear I am losing too much hair...so I twisted it up Monday night and I'm leaving it like that at least till Saturday, when I plan on doing a ponytail rollerset. It's under my synthetic LF wig and a knit beanie till then. This is also working cause I can megassage in twists easier than I can on WNG hair...yayyyyy

My hair hates shea butter and shampoo, apparently...it dries out and tangles up at the sight of either (any gentle poo recs?) -- but loves anything with the word "conditioner" involved; lately this involves kenra mc/gvp conditioning balm as DCs and VO5/organix conditioners for cowashing. oh, the gvp paul mitchell the conditioner is a great leave-in.

Ms_Twana

Thanks msa for posting this link in the old thread!!! :yep:

great idea!!

what's working for everyone right now? techniques, products, styles?

ETA: I didn't answer my own question.

I'm doing bantu knot outs pretty much every day with a few wash n go's in between. Seems to be working so far. I'm trying to have stretched hair all the time so I can avoid knots. I'm thinking of adding coconut milk back as my conditioner because my hair seemed to do really well with it. I'm not sure why I stopped. Still loving castor oil. I'm also thinking of adding green tea and aloe vera juice as a moisturizing spritz but I haven't done it yet.

Ganjababy

Does it adversely affect your hair if you sleep on it without braiding it at night? ust cover with a silk scarf. Or is it better to braid first.

E. Princess

Evsbaby, braiding up the hair at night cuts down tangles that can come from your hair being smashed during the night. If you are having no troubles with covering your hair with a scarf, then keep doing what's working for you.

When my hair is out, I put it into a puff and sleep on it. I know this goes against the forum practices, but I don't sleep in a scarf or a satin pillow. However, my hair is protective styles a good percentage of the time.

Mandy4610

I need some major help with braiding, cornrows, flat twists, twists. I can not do any of these to save my life:nono:

My darn fingers hurt like heck when I try and my shoulder....:wallbash::wallbash:

SignatureBeauty

Mandy I know how you feel, with this Twa it can take all day so I don't even attempt them. have you looked at some videos on YouTube? they might have some to help you out!

kinkycotton

thanks you so much for starting this thread. I'm still looking for a staple moisturizer and so far I'm gonna have to come out the pocket for quality. Eluences balancing condition is GREAT as a leave in and detangles but it's moisturizing enough. As a starter staple on a 4b hair type I'm not sure if I should buy Qhemet Biologics or Oyin. :drunk: Oyin gave me a 50% discount so of course i want to find something from them but biologics I have actually tried but on texturized hair. We'll see after my whipped shea butter attempt tomrrow.

Ok, enough of my venting. :spinning:

veggiegirl314

Thanks for this thread! :)

I BCed back in january, and I'm trying really hard to get a solid regimen down. Right now, I'm cowashing daily with conditioner (right now, my hair really likes TJ's Tea Tree Tingle), adding a little bit of TJ nourish conditioner as a leave-in, and calling that a day.

I've been experimenting with Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 as a moisturizer, and I feel like it works as long as I'm REALLY heavy handed. I use at least 30 pumps of the stuff on my TWA. :\

I DC at least once a week with Queen Helene cholesterol conditioner mixed with EVOO or grapeseed oil. I've also tried AO HSR, and Lush's H'Sua Wen Hua DC treatment, and wasn't really impressed with either. I'm still on a frantic search for a good DC, because I can't seem to find one that makes my hair feel soft.

That's the other thing. My hair never feels 'soft'. It feels nice when I load it up with Hawaiian silky, but I don't know if that's good for my hair or not, so I've been really cutting back. I don't know if I'm just not used to the texture of my natural hair or not, but it just doesn't feel soft to me.

I have KCCC and KCKT, but I really only use those for special occasions, because I don't like crunchy hair. I used Fantasia IC gel once and felt it did a good job, but I also felt weird about having gel in my hair -- that whole moisture thing again. :\

I bought some Carol's Daughter Hair Milk a few weeks ago, and the jury is still out on that one. I don't know if it really moisturizes or not, and I get just as much curl definition with my TJ Nourish as a leave in.

Ah! Being natural is fun, but it's tiring trying to find something that works! :)

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I need some major help with braiding, cornrows, flat twists, twists. I can not do any of these to save my life:nono:

My darn fingers hurt like heck when I try and my shoulder....:wallbash::wallbash:

That was my problem! I have carpal tunnel in both hands. Using shea butter and JFM 2 in one detangling conditioner gave me softer and more moisturized hair. I was able to flat twist it more easier. I'm on my way of finally being able to handle my natural hair!:yay:

msa

I got so lazy in the last few weeks I've been doing wash-n-go's every single day. So today I decided to try to be like E.Princess and braid my own hair. It is not cute....well it's cute but I just look like I'm 10 and like I have no hair. I think I'm a medium strand natural, but not with very dense hair.

But, there is good news. Doing the braids made me realize that may hair has come a looooong way. Last year this time the middle of my head was about an inch or two long and now it's neck length. Also, my braids aren't anorexic looking. I wish they were thick and luscious but I think I just have to accept that's my hair. Also, the braids in my nape are resting past SL so that's great...though the rest of my braids like at nape length, if that.

So now it's back to the drawing board trying to find a protective style that I don't need to add fake hair for it to look good. I love bantu knot outs, but I really need a style that I can leave in for a couple weeks. And I think the bantu's may have been putting some stress on my ends. I can't get my twists wet because they'll unravel, so that's not gonna work. I don't want to go back to fake hair but...I just need to find something that works.

Water and castor oil are still working for me as my everyday moisturizer. I'm also thinking of DC'ing with caramel every 3 days instead of being so lazy.

Southernbella.

Great thread!

I think I'm over straight hair for now. I'm getting ready to do more nappy styles, and give my hair the TLC it deserves. I plan to DC a lot more now that I've found a staple CON (Aussie Moist), cowash more, and do twists more (giving my hair a rest).

Overall, I'm still really loving my hair! I'm so glad I did the color, because my hair seems to have more depth and I can see all my various textures.

I think I'm going to also try some buns on my natural hair. I usually only bun on straightened hair, but I think it's long enough now.

E. Princess

I'm sitting here taking out my three week old braids with the intent on wearing my fro for the week of my birthday :).

abordeaux

I think if you start DCing you wont have to use both the cantu and the glycerine. Also I dont moisturize daily...if it still feels soft, i dont add anything at all until it feels dry, or only just the very ends of my hair.

Girl, you were so on point when you gave this advice, thank you! I started DCing more often, and I replaced the Cantu with EV Coconut oil. Instead of water, I started using aloe vera juice with my glycerine. My hair has done a complete 180!! It stays soft for days!

Also, you inspired me to get rid of my colored ends. I remember you were giving me advice on them in my 1 year update thread. I knew I needed to get rid of them but I didn't want to cut off close to two inches of hair. I went ahead a did it the other day and my hair looks so much better! I only lost a few months of progress but it was worth it and I don't even consider it a set back because it needed to be done.

Last edited:

danigurl18

My hair is pressed right now and I'm learning how to work with it because it is no where near the length it was relaxed so styles I used to do are off.. and I wish I had a dang natural ponytail.. I need like 2 more inches! My hair has like 60% shrinkage :(

discobiscuits

i just took the pj plunge and got glycerin/rose water mix and i like it so far. i also find that co washes and wash and gos are very good for me and my hair.

discobiscuits

Where do you get Elucence MB Conditioner? I am looking for New Conditioners for Summer! I don't Co-wash Daily!

Thanks
get it here

this stuff is great !

Distributors

The following is a complete listing of Elucence distributors. If you can't find Elucence products at a salon in your area, contact the nearest distributor. Even if the distributor is in another area, they do serve the entire area.
Florida
Pleasant Image Distributing
20533 Biscayne Blvd.
Suite #1230
Aventura, FL 33180
866 436 6327 toll free
305 493 3572 office
305 999 0943 fax
www.pleasantimage.com
Georgia
Caris Salon Services
2116 McCallie Ave.
Chattanooga, TN 37404
423 622 1678
423 622 3244 fax
Illinois
Salon Concepts, Inc.
4021 N. Elston Ave.
Chicago, IL 60618
773 588 8900
773 588 8975 fax
Indiana
One Stop Professional Beauty Salon Services
7025 Kensington Dr.
Indianapolis, IN 46226
317 536 0058
317 536 0058 fax
Kentucky
One Stop Professional Beauty Salon Services
7025 Kensington Dr.
Indianapolis, IN 46226
317 536 0058
317 536 0058 fax
Michigan
Craig's Beauty Supply
15925 W. McNichols Rd.
Detroit, MI 48235
313 836 2322
313 836 5014 fax
Nebraska
Peels Salon Services
13747 F Street
Omaha, NE 68137
402 697 2344
402 697 2391 fax
New Jersey
Independent Beauty Supply Co.
93 Monticello Ave.
Jersey City, NJ 07304
201 333 3350
631 598 3550 fax
New York
A&A Beauty Supply
51 N. Locust St.
Lockport, NY 14094
716 433 6250
716 433 3713 fax
Hair Biz, Inc.
23 Simmons St.
Copiague, NY 11726
631 789 8975
205 428 2565 fax
North Carolina
Columbia Beauty Supply
PO Box 579
Matthews, NC 28106-0579
704 845 2888
704 845 1405 fax
Ohio
Edlis, Inc.
2006 Smallman St.
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
412 261 2862
412 261 2865 fax
www.edlis.com
Pennsylvania
Edlis, Inc.
2006 Smallman St.
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
412 261 2862
412 261 2865 fax
www.edlis.com
Knight's Beauty & Barber
1428 E. Washington Lane
Philadelphia, PA 19138
215 224 5833
215 224 5836 fax
South Carolina
Columbia Beauty Supply
PO Box 579
Matthews, NC 28106-0579
704 845 2888
704 845 1405 fax
Palmetto Beauty Supply
1208 W. Evans St.
Florence, SC 29501
843 661 6300
843 661 6301 fax
Tennessee
Essentials
5281 Knight Arnold Rd.
Memphis, TN 38118
901 366 4800
901 366 9868 fax
Caris Salon Services
2116 McCallie Ave.
Chattanooga, TN 37404
423 622 1678
423 622 3244 fax
West Virginia
Edlis, Inc.
2006 Smallman St.
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
412 261 2862
412 261 2865 fax
www.edlis.com
PUERTO RICO
Laura's Beauty Supplies
521 Barranquitas
1120 Degetau St.
Rio Piedras, PR 00925
787 765 6376
787 765 6379 fax
CANADA
Body & Hair Direct, Inc.
4450 Tucana Ct.
Mississauga, Ontario L5R 3R4
416 525 2888
www.bodyandhairdirect.com
For all other areas, please call 1-800-428-8073. To purchase Elucence Products online, please visit one these fine web sites:
www.pleasantimage.com
www.naturallycurly.com
www.bodyandhairdirect.com

chosen07

Thanks for this thread! :)

I BCed back in january, and I'm trying really hard to get a solid regimen down. Right now, I'm cowashing daily with conditioner (right now, my hair really likes TJ's Tea Tree Tingle), adding a little bit of TJ nourish conditioner as a leave-in, and calling that a day.

I've been experimenting with Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 as a moisturizer, and I feel like it works as long as I'm REALLY heavy handed. I use at least 30 pumps of the stuff on my TWA. :\

I DC at least once a week with Queen Helene cholesterol conditioner mixed with EVOO or grapeseed oil. I've also tried AO HSR, and Lush's H'Sua Wen Hua DC treatment, and wasn't really impressed with either. I'm still on a frantic search for a good DC, because I can't seem to find one that makes my hair feel soft.

That's the other thing. My hair never feels 'soft'. It feels nice when I load it up with Hawaiian silky, but I don't know if that's good for my hair or not, so I've been really cutting back. I don't know if I'm just not used to the texture of my natural hair or not, but it just doesn't feel soft to me.

I have KCCC and KCKT, but I really only use those for special occasions, because I don't like crunchy hair. I used Fantasia IC gel once and felt it did a good job, but I also felt weird about having gel in my hair -- that whole moisture thing again. :\

I bought some Carol's Daughter Hair Milk a few weeks ago, and the jury is still out on that one. I don't know if it really moisturizes or not, and I get just as much curl definition with my TJ Nourish as a leave in.

Ah! Being natural is fun, but it's tiring trying to find something that works! :)

I can ALWAYS rest assure that when you post there are gonna be similiarities in our frustrations/issues.
I have been struggling with the same thing...my hair not feeling soft after a DC or even just in general until... for my DC, I started combining AO HR with lustrasilk mango+shea butter, I sit under the dryer for about 20mins and wash out. the dryer makes it crunchy but after washing- my hair is actually soft! go figure!:rolleyes:
now in general, I've been using the S-curl for a moisturizer and although that doesn't leave a 'soft' feel on my hair, I add Oyin Handmade whipped pudding. at first I didn't like it because it was so thick but apparently my hair LOVES thick stuff (including castor oil). At nights, after i apply MT to my scalp (which of course is a protein) I usually rub castor oil or another oil mixture I got from Mizani on my hair and in the morning my hair is soft. I try not to put oil on my hair when I'm going out. I prefer to have greasy pillows than having to be paranoid about where I rest my head during the day.
phew! that got long..sorry. but I know how tiring its been for me to get some semblance of a regimen that works for me, so I wanted to be specific.

*Oh! I have also figured out how to incorporate Juices and Berries (Oyin) and my hair loves it. I use it with water to 'spritz' up my 2nd or 3rd day hair. wonderful moisturizer and makes my hair soft too..

Last edited:

prettypuff1

I need help with styles.... Or else i will end up relaxing. It seems like my hair shrinks up to nothing...

I have tried
Finger coils- i didnt like it
Braid outs- ok i like them the second day

I need more ideas

veggiegirl314

I can ALWAYS rest assure that when you post there are gonna be similiarities in our frustrations/issues.
I have been struggling with the same thing...my hair not feeling soft after a DC or even just in general until... for my DC, I started combining AO HR with lustrasilk mango+shea butter, I sit under the dryer for about 20mins and wash out. the dryer makes it crunchy but after washing- my hair is actually soft! go figure!:rolleyes:
now in general, I've been using the S-curl for a moisturizer and although that doesn't leave a 'soft' feel on my hair, I add Oyin Handmade whipped pudding. at first I didn't like it because it was so thick but apparently my hair LOVES thick stuff (including castor oil). At nights, after i apply MT to my scalp (which of course is a protein) I usually rub castor oil or another oil mixture I got from Mizani on my hair and in the morning my hair is soft. I try not to put oil on my hair when I'm going out. I prefer to have greasy pillows than having to be paranoid about where I rest my head during the day.
phew! that got long..sorry. but I know how tiring its been for me to get some semblance of a regimen that works for me, so I wanted to be specific.

*Oh! I have also figured out how to incorporate Juices and Berries (Oyin) and my hair loves it. I use it with water to 'spritz' up my 2nd or 3rd day hair. wonderful moisturizer and makes my hair soft too..

I agree that our hair seems really similar. I'm going to try everything you've tried so far. I'm definitely going to purchase the Oyin Juices and Berries. It's so good to have a hair twin here! :)

Southernbella.

I need help with styles.... Or else i will end up relaxing. It seems like my hair shrinks up to nothing...

I have tried
Finger coils- i didnt like it
Braid outs- ok i like them the second day

I need more ideas

Have you thought about heat straightening? Doing a twistout on blown out hair? Puff? A freeform fro (your face is so pretty, I know that would be fierce on you!)

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14

You tube videos helped me learn how to flat twist. It took me 2 months to really get the hang of them, but I'm finally doing them well enough to wear out the house.:lachen:I'm doing a protective style challenge to keep my hands out of my hair.:rolleyes: I still can't braid, but that will come in time.:yep: BTW Mandy, I love your roller sets!

Last edited:

pinkdot's blog

I'm soooo happy to say that after 7 months of transitioning I am now fully natural again. I'm one day old nappy today. Yay me. I missed the feel of my natural hair. It was always easier for me to wash. I missed playing with it (i find myself playing with my hair through my wig) and I missed the feel of it. My hair is much more strong in its natural state. I'm basically doing the curly girl method. I'm just conditioner washing every night and let it air dry and I plan on deep conditioning once a month. Thats it. I baggy my whole head @ night. During the day I wear my hair under a wig. I'm going to be doing this until my hair is long enough to wear out to my liking.........