*2009* ~Natural Support Thread~

E. Princess

Thank you, msa. What's the main problem you have with your pin ups?

Pin up tips.. hmmm

My pin ups are usually a series of flat twists/flat coils. I usually start in the crown section, then pin the sides then back is done last. Take small to medium sections of braids or twists to pin. I also find that my pin ups usually work better on smaller/medium twists or braids.

msa

Thank you, msa. What's the main problem you have with your pin ups?

Pin up tips.. hmmm

My pin ups are usually a series of flat twists/flat coils. I usually start in the crown section, then pin the sides then back is done last. Take small to medium sections of braids or twists to pin. I also find that my pin ups usually work better on smaller/medium twists or braids.

Thanks!

I think my problem is my hair is not very thick once it's in twists or braids. For example, if I tried to do small/medium braids like you have in your siggy I would have like 40 braids, and I can tell you have wayyyy more than that. So when I try to pin up my hair, it just looks kind of weird I guess. Like I don't have enough hair to pin up. Especially if I don't wear a headband on, which I'm trying to stay away from.

I think it's just a thickness issue but I don't know if there's much I can do about that. When I have added hair my braids look really good pinned up. If I pin up my hair if it's been in a curly fro (from bantu knots) it looks better but then I can't pin it up right. I'm going to try to do it the way you described and see what happens. Maybe I just need to practice more.

abordeaux

I have no regimen and it's starting to become a problem. I wash-n-go when I feel like it, but moisturize daily. I have a spray bottle of half water, half pure glycerin that I spritz on my hair. Then I rub a bit of Cantu Shea Butter Leave In through my hair. It makes my hair very soft and moisturized. The problem is if I go more than two days without washing (while continuing to moisturize), my hair feels greasy and I hate it.

I'd love to find a way to make my hair feel soft and moisturized without feeling greasy. I'm just tired of switching products and my current moisturizers have been getting the job done. I also haven't been DCing like I should. I've just been lazy all around. I'm planning to get back to rollersetting. I used to rollerset weekly when I was relaxed. I plan on getting a new hair dryer in the next couple of weeks.

I've been wearing some really cute stretched styles and I'll post pics when I do my 1 year update this week. I still can't believe it's been a year since I BC'd!!

BillsBackerz67

I have no regimen and it's starting to become a problem. I wash-n-go when I feel like it, but moisturize daily. I have a spray bottle of half water, half pure glycerin that I spritz on my hair. Then I rub a bit of Cantu Shea Butter Leave In through my hair. It makes my hair very soft and moisturized. The problem is if I go more than two days without washing (while continuing to moisturize), my hair feels greasy and I hate it.

I'd love to find a way to make my hair feel soft and moisturized without feeling greasy. I'm just tired of switching products and my current moisturizers have been getting the job done. I also haven't been DCing like I should. I've just been lazy all around. I'm planning to get back to rollersetting. I used to rollerset weekly when I was relaxed. I plan on getting a new hair dryer in the next couple of weeks.

I've been wearing some really cute stretched styles and I'll post pics when I do my 1 year update this week. I still can't believe it's been a year since I BC'd!!
I think if you start DCing you wont have to use both the cantu and the glycerine. Also I dont moisturize daily...if it still feels soft, i dont add anything at all until it feels dry, or only just the very ends of my hair.

E. Princess

Msa Yeah, it may be a thickness issue. Have you tried to do really small twist/braids? That may be the route to go to achieve a fuller pin up.

msa

Msa Yeah, it may be a thickness issue. Have you tried to do really small twist/braids? That may be the route to go to achieve a fuller pin up.

I haven't done it yet but I'm going to try it. I'm just scared of having ridiculous tangles afterward. When I do try it I'll report back.

TeaKyoo

Also I dont moisturize daily...if it still feels soft, i dont add anything at all until it feels dry, or only just the very ends of my hair.

I do the same thing. This year I wanted to switch up my routine which was the no routine. I am now thinking that I should keep is kinda the same. Conditioner washings, leave in conditioner, little to no oil/butter, no flatiron or press, air dry mostly and clarify monthly. I just tried this new concoction for me. Bentonite clay hair mask (water & honey mix) it is messy but I love the results and it is a nice switch from my normal clarifying shampoo.

I do want to try to do twists more now and cornrows for the summer. Also rollersets intrigue me. I am going to keep my PJism low but my styling high. But I really want to try Rhassoul clay next with some vit E and coconut cream.

Remember this too shall pass I find when my hair looks a hot mess I add some moisture and TLC and it is looking good. Love my natural hair!

TQ

SignatureBeauty

Do you pre-poo? I pre-poo'd for the first time about two weeks ago with Vatika (from the Indian grocery store). Note: I don't like coconut oil but I purchased Vatika in the summer and refused to toss it. Anyhoo, I pre-poo'd with Vatika and I was amazed! My hair felt so rich and lush! Not sure if I can attribute it all to the pre-poo because I also twisted my hair with Qhemet...but I'm leaning towards the Vatika.

Are you using a silk scarf or cotton?

Any BSS finds? Not for me, really. I still love Aussie Moist and Herbal Essence for my daily conditioners...they work well and they're cheap!

Thanks! No I haven't Pre-pooed at all, but I will give that a Try, I use a Satin scarf to sleep in, I might need to baggy at night because I have my ceiling fan on. And you are so right about the BSS, I couldn't find anything I liked Yesterday:nono: My daughter was like "Why are we in here" I got her only wanting to use Qhem Products now she don't want to use nothing else, But I was just being cheap, knowing deep down inside when Qhem Open I am placing an order:grin: Conditioners: I have been on stuck on Suave for so long that I haven't gave any other conditioners a try, I will venture off and try different ones!!

SignatureBeauty

Also I wanted to Add, that I feel that when my hair gets longer and I am able to do protective styles Things will get better, The winter is hard on a Twa, But I LOVE the summer!!

LiberianGirl

Ladies, don't forget to rinse your hair with cold/cool water. It has really helps get those cuticles right. I highly recommend Elucence MB conditioner if you are searching for moisturizing conditioner.

LiberianGirl

I do the same thing. This year I wanted to switch up my routine which was the no routine. I am now thinking that I should keep is kinda the same. Conditioner washings, leave in conditioner, little to no oil/butter, no flatiron or press, air dry mostly and clarify monthly. I just tried this new concoction for me. Bentonite clay hair mask (water & honey mix) it is messy but I love the results and it is a nice switch from my normal clarifying shampoo.

I do want to try to do twists more now and cornrows for the summer. Also rollersets intrigue me. I am going to keep my PJism low but my styling high. But I really want to try Rhassoul clay next with some vit E and coconut cream.

Remember this too shall pass I find when my hair looks a hot mess I add some moisture and TLC and it is looking good. Love my natural hair!

TQ

I really want to try Anita Grant's rhassoul mud conditioner treatment. The currency rate and shipping cost is out of this world but I'm going to treat myself next month. I have seen so many awesome results from this product.

lollyoo

This is a good thread, My initial plan was to be in braids most of the year.
The last six months of been natural I have only retained 1in due to regular cutting of ends off, think the shrinkage is doing my ends a lot of damage.
I have decided to use stretch out style this year, that means biweekly rollerset with standard rollers and curlformers.
and moisturising with my hair butter mix.

caramelcutieinva

Ooh right on time

I am coming up on 6 months natural. I am in love with ponytail rollersets. they solved so many problems...
I roll my hair up each night in satin rollers to keep the hair from getting frizzy.

productjunkie814

What do you all use for Moisture for Dry Thirsty Hair? Like a Daily Moisturizer.

Depends on my mood. Now that it's winter, I don't co-wash as much, so I use a home-made spritz (S-curl, aloe juice, a dollop of condish, and water) on my hair to either plump up my twists or to fluff up flattened bedhead! I follow this with either coconut oil, olive oil, or castor oil. I also try to baggy three times a week to keep my twists moisturized. HTH!

E. Princess

I have a quick question...

I bought some Just For Me Smoothing Gel (alcohol free) to use for finger coils. I found the gel really sticky, so what can I do to counteract the stickiness? I was thinking oil, but maybe you ladies can offer another suggestion.

SignatureBeauty

WOW! Wonderful advice on the Moisture, I don't know why shea butter don't work for me, But I am gonna try different butters to see how they work and just make my own buttery mix LOL!!

chosen07

thank you for this thread!
I'm trying to find a regimen but I'm not even sure I know what that means. :lachen: but seriously, I cowash daily with any one of these condish (Suave Humectant, Giovanni 50/50, Burts Bees, Oyin Honey Hemp). I have so many because i was stocking up as I got reviews but its only been 20 days natural and I'm not sure I have found a preference. ::sigh::
after cowashing I use the Giovanni Direct Leave -in or the Oyin Honey Hemp Conditioner and those work for a wash'n'go. I was trying to not wash daily but my hair just doesn't look 'right' if i don't co-wash.
I have DC'ed once since BC and plan to incorporate once a week...used the AO Honeysuckle Rose
I hate being the person who always 'wishing for' but I really can't wait to get a couple more inches so that I can do braid outs/twist outs and wear a thicker fro.
today is my first time wearing my hair 'combed' :look:and it was ok..but not the look I wanted- still too short!!
that's me in a nutshell..trying to enjoy these easy days of 'no tangles' and ability to cowash in 10mins.:drunk:

oh question: for those of you who use Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle to DC..do you follow the instructions and put on hair before poo'ing? (I haven't had opportunity to wade through the many pages on the most recent DC thread). TIA

E. Princess

I'm trying to find a regimen but I'm not even sure I know what that means. :lachen: but seriously, I cowash daily with any one of these condish (Suave Humectant, Giovanni 50/50, Burts Bees, Oyin Honey Hemp). I have so many because i was stocking up as I got reviews but its only been 20 days natural and I'm not sure I have found a preference. ::sigh::
after cowashing I use the Giovanni Direct Leave -in or the Oyin Honey Hemp Conditioner and those work for a wash'n'go. I was trying to not wash daily but my hair just doesn't look 'right' if i don't co-wash.
I have DC'ed once since BC and plan to incorporate once a week...used the AO Honeysuckle Rose
I hate being the person who always 'wishing for' but I really can't wait to get a couple more inches so that I can do braid outs/twist outs and wear a thicker fro.
today is my first time wearing my hair 'combed' :look:and it was ok..but not the look I wanted- still too short!!
that's me in a nutshell..trying to enjoy these easy days of 'no tangles' and ability to cowash in 10mins.:drunk:

oh question: for those of you who use Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle to DC..do you follow the instructions and put on hair before poo'ing? (I haven't had opportunity to wade through the many pages on the most recent DC thread). TIA

First off, congrats on BCing! :king:

Instead of co-washing every morning, you can also try diluting conditioner with water and spraying it on your hair. From your pictures it looks like you have enough hair to finger coil or really small twists.

Harina

Have you clarified? Too much build up may cause your hair to act funny with your usual products. If you have clarified recently, then I don't know what else could be the problem.

I don't use BSS products but I know a lot of naturals love aloe vera juice and glycerine to moisturize. Glycerine may not be good to use in the winter since it's a humectant, but Traycee (and a lot of other people) use aloe vera juice and rosewater to moisturize. If you do try it, make sure it's the dietary aloe vera that's 100% and is supposed to be refrigerated.[/quote]

Uh-oh I've been using aloe vera gel that doesn't need to be refrigerated not the juice. The gel wasn't nearly as moisturizing as I expected so I might try the juice.

Mandy4610

I want to start rollersetting more often too. Which rollers do you plan to use?
I bought these from Sally's but they frizz up my hair when I take them out:ohwell: I like them because they provide a good grip when I am rolling.

What do you all use for Moisture for Dry Thirsty Hair? Like a Daily Moisturizer.
I use qhemet Amla and olive heavy cream with Qhemet Olive and Honey hydrating balm. Sometimes mixed and other times separately.

I use AO HSR as a DC after shampooing. Normally I leave it on for about an hour under the dryer.

Naturelle

Im in...I'm still suffering from my ends being dry and trashy...tried diff moisturizers...dc's..snipping a little here and there and nothing....would love some advice and help