ACV rinses are strengthening my hair....

godzooki

I have not done this in a while thanks to prego/diaper brain. Can you post the measurments (ACV/Water)?

blueabyss333

Recherché.Beauty said:
what are acv rinses..and what do you do??

Yes, I would like to know how people use it as well. I never really paid attention to it before but I just saw some in WF the other day.

vevster

Apple Cider Vinegar 1 TB for every 16 oz of water. Post shampoo pre Conditioner pour a pitcherful of this over your head. Squeeze out the excess fluid. Condition as normal..

It is great!

Sistaslick

I just tried it last night... I used 1/4 cup ACV to 2 cups of water. I think I'll be adding this to my weekly regimen. My wet hair was gleaming after the rinse and it detangled very nicely. The ACV really lays those cuticles down tight! The only drawback is the smell of rotting flesh it gives off (mine says its meant for pickling and is made of old apple juice basically:lol: ), but once diluted it died down a bit.:lol:
I used it after my normal wash and before the conditioning step.:)

vevster

Sistaslick said:
I just tried it last night... I used 1/4 cup ACV to 2 cups of water. I think I'll be adding this to my weekly regimen. My wet hair was gleaming after the rinse and it detangled very nicely. The ACV really lays those cuticles down tight! The only drawback is the smell of rotting flesh it gives off (mine says its meant for pickling and is made of old apple juice basically:lol: ), but once diluted it died down a bit.:lol:
I used it after my normal wash and before the conditioning step.:)
I pour it over my head in the shower and it softens my skin and soothes my scalp.

hot_pepper96

You know what guys, I noticed this too about ACV rinses. I've done it about 4 or 5 times total. At first I was using too much, but now I use 2TBS to 16 oz of Spring Water. The first time I co-washed, I also added 2 TBS of Aloe Vera Extract Oil to the mixture and my hair felt stronger...like light protein.

This past weekend after I washed out my relaxer, I used the same mixture (I overdid it w/the ACV so I just poured more water in) minus Aloe Vera Oil, and poured it on after my neutralizing shampoo. I could still feel the effects after my conditioning. I've found it works for me only using it after the shampoo not as the final, final rinse.

WomanlyCharm

I love ACV rinses, I started doing them about 4 months ago, and noticed a difference in my hair and scalp immediately.
I do it at least once a week. My hair is stronger, and I have not had the itchies or dandruff since.

Nice & Wavy

I usually use about 1/4 cup to about 1 gallon of water after the final rinse. I use as much cool water as I can stand. It makes my hair feel wonderful and it looks so shiny and strong. I'm doing it once a month.

PhonyBaloney500

OK do you rinse it out before applying the conditioner or let it sit on there?

I tried it this past weekend--I literally used 16 oz. Was that too little? Should I do double or triple? I didn't notice anything particularly magical happen...

Nice & Wavy

PhonyBaloney500 said:
OK do you rinse it out before applying the conditioner or let it sit on there?

I tried it this past weekend--I literally used 16 oz. Was that too little? Should I do double or triple? I didn't notice anything particularly magical happen...

I use mine after I rinse out my conditioner. I then do the ACV Rinse and then follow with my usual routine whether I do a rollerset, airdry, etc.

planodiva

You ladies are so awesome! I never heard of this but I'm going home to try it out!!!! Keep the good advice coming

jrae

I need help with this. I have tried ACV rinses like 4 or 5x and my hair feels... kinda stripped and tangled. Just the opposite of what everyon else experiences. I would love this to work for me. My hair NEEDS strengthening.
I last tried 1 Tbs to 16 oz of water. Should I add something to it?

BerrySweet

jrae said:
I need help with this. I have tried ACV rinses like 4 or 5x and my hair feels... kinda stripped and tangled. Just the opposite of what everyon else experiences. I would love this to work for me. My hair NEEDS strengthening.
I last tried 1 Tbs to 16 oz of water. Should I add something to it?
Girl the same thing happened to me. I tried this amybe a yr ago, and it turned my hair into a mess. I was soooo sad. I think I used maybe 1/8-1/4, but not more than 1/2 to about 4 cups of water. My hair wasn't the same until I relaxed it the next time. It was tangled and matted and wouldn't condition properly. It might have something to do with the fact that the ACV itself was about 10 yrs old...maybe. I dunno, I'm too scared to try it again. I need to hear more positive reviews. :(

Justice4alw

I'm so glad to find this thread! I use ACV rinses almost exclusively as my choice of conditioner. After I wash, I use it diluted in a spray bottle, 1:5 ratio. I saturate my hair and scalp, let it sit for three minutes or so, and then rinse it out. My hair is strong, sheeny, and growing like a weed! There's no residue and I don't have to use oil or moisturizer in between shampoos because my hair stays soft and moisturized.

Lady_Lioness

I've also noticed this too...after all my ACV rinses, my hair usually feels alot stronger + I get the added shine on top of that...I love doing ACV rinses.

Ronda123

Nice & Wavy said:
I use mine after I rinse out my conditioner. I then do the ACV Rinse and then follow with my usual routine whether I do a rollerset, airdry, etc.

This is how I use mine...I love it! It instantly detangles my hair and leaves it stronger and shiny. :)

gradygirl

I was wondering the same thing because I just started doing it and I noticed this week how much stronger my hair is. I used 2 teaspoons with 1/2 gallon of distilled water.

Isis

This is a great thread! I usually always have ACV to wash my veggies with and I just bought some more for my hair rinse. I forgot to use iit though.

I am understanding it's used just after rinsing out all the shampoo, then left on the hair as is prior to adding conditioner for deep conditioning. I'm seeing on this thread that it's used as the final rinse also, after rinsing out the conditioner. Which method is better or are the results the same?

Keen

Isis said:
This is a great thread! I usually always have ACV to wash my veggies with and I just bought some more for my hair rinse. I forgot to use iit though.

I am understanding it's used just after rinsing out all the shampoo, then left on the hair as is prior to adding conditioner for deep conditioning. I'm seeing on this thread that it's used as the final rinse also, after rinsing out the conditioner. Which method is better or are the results the same?

I would like to know also...

jrae

I decided to try this again today. I mixed 2 tsp. in 1 qt of water and poured over my hair after my shampoo. I appled MNT Deep Conditioner and rinsed it all out after 10 min.

I can't attest to strengthening my hair yet because I'm still air drying but I didn't have the problem with matting or having stripped hair like before.

Lady_Lioness

Isis said:

I do both methods...both method works great 4 me...what I usually do... if i'm clarifying...I would shampoo first, rinse, add acv, let it sit 4 maybe 5 minutes, then rinse...after i'm done rinsing i'll add my conditioner and start deep conditioning...

Now when I'm just using it 4 the extra shine...I would shampoo,deep condition, rinse, add acv, let it sit 4 about a minute or 2, and then rinse with cool or cold water.HTHs

~*~ShopAholic~*~

This is a gret thread. I use it two ways either as a final rinse, or I pour it on while the shampoo is still in my hair, comb through, rinse, and DC. I add 2 tbs to 16oz of distilled water. Sometimes the water you use can play a big part in the tangling process, when I tried to do it w/regular old tap water, results weren't so good, so I never did it that way again. It does give some great shine, and strength.:D

Lady_Lioness

jrae said:
I decided to try this again today. I mixed 2 tsp. in 1 qt of water and poured over my hair after my shampoo. I appled MNT Deep Conditioner and rinsed it all out after 10 min.

I can't attest to strengthening my hair yet because I'm still air drying but I didn't have the problem with matting or having stripped hair like before.

Did you rinse the acv out b4 applying the conditioner?...I'm asking b/c i've never tried leaving the acv on the hair while putting on the conditioner...that's new 2 me.

BerrySweet

jrae said:

What did you do differently to bring positive results?