Unsuccessful product junky...still searching for a staple

krikit96

Lord... Jesus take the wheel... that's not even HALF... there's so much more in my bathroom, under the sink and in the shower... and then there's my closet... I need an intervention... #productjunky

ForumRunner_20140608_212511.jpg

felic1

You are not an unsuccessful product junkie. You are very successful. Your hair looks nice! You have a great deal of lovely products to meet you goal of mid back length by next summer! You can do this! I am sorry to say that one part of the healthy hair journey is the lovely delectable products available for sale. I am well aware that sometimes it seems like we need a session with the church mothers on the altar of the sanctified church to stop this mess. I have known that I have been out of control. It is part of your new life. This overboardness. If you can contain your self with just trying to use up your conditioner and products during this summer you will be ahead. I HAD to have some come clean shampoo Thursday. I have a suitcase, a bathroom tub, and a laundry hamper full of stuff. I had to buy rinse outs to rinse out my conditioner with. I then have a three drawer chest with stuff and 1 1/2 trash cans with products. I had to have a trim in December. I was approaching full APL. sigh. Sometimes LHCF seems like a blessing to your life. Then other times you ask yourself, why am I spending all of this money like something is wrong with me? Love Ya!

Texasdymond

Have you tried making your own hair products? My hair has responded nicely to my home made hair concoctions.

krikit96

You REALLY wanted to like that CHI, didn't you?! Lol!

Lol! But I DO! Let me say, I know what works if i want to stay straightened! I've got that down...it's the curls that I want to embrace, and I don't know where to start!

krikit96

Texasdymond. I'm not sure what works for my natural hair, I don't think I'm ON that level where I can mix my own stuff yet... I wouldn't know where to start

krissyhair

It looks like you have tried everything out there, especially since that's not even half. Do you have clearly defined hair goals? When you look at a product on the store shelves, are you thinking how it will work in achieving your goals? Is this a staple problem, or is it a financial problem?

Divine.

Lol! But I DO! Let me say, I know what works if i want to stay straightened! I've got that down...it's the curls that I want to embrace, and I don't know where to start!

I used to be a straightened natural so I understand you completely. My hair used to be swanging when straight! But trying to wear my curls...that was a whole new beast :nono:

I went through about every single product in your arsenal. I big chopped last year after rocking a relaxed pixie for a year. My first question is, do you have any heat damage? Heat damage made it nearly impossible for me to try any wash and wear style no matter what the product was. If so, I would stick to twist outs and use creams and puddings to set it until your curls start coming back. Save your money on gels for the time being :lol:

Finding the right product really comes down to what your hair likes. If your hair doesn't like coconut oil or shea butter, don't use products with these ingredients. My hair is not a fan of either so I try to steer away from products where these are the main ingredients (*cough* Shea Moisture *cough*). My hair loves custards and gels so I rarely use creams. Do you know what has worked well for your hair in the past?

Switching from straightened to 100% natural does require a lot of trial and error so don't feel bad. I just threw away about 15 products I don't use (but let's not count the other 15+ products I still have :look:).

NaturallyATLPCH

Lord... Jesus take the wheel... that's not even HALF... there's so much more in my bathroom, under the sink and in the shower... and then there's my closet... I need an intervention... #productjunky

View attachment 264325

Mine would look worse than that if I hadn't sold my items or gave them away.

One thing that somewhat curbed it was bad experiences with vendors.

Being mindful of certain preservatives and ingredients curbed my OTG PJsim too.

But what keeps it alive is when my select vendors offer new products or sales.

My goal is to have two products for each category and I'm almost there.

Last edited:

krikit96

I used to be a straightened natural so I understand you completely. My hair used to be swanging when straight! But trying to wear my curls...that was a whole new beast :nono:

YES!!! When I read this paragraph HERE!!!! I felt a whoosh of hope come thru me... I had the straight hair thang DOWN!!! This natural thing is something all together different!!!:spinning:

I went through about every single product in your arsenal. I big chopped last year after rocking a relaxed pixie for a year. My first question is, do you have any heat damage? Heat damage made it nearly impossible for me to try any wash and wear style no matter what the product was. If so, I would stick to twist outs and use creams and puddings to set it until your curls start coming back. Save your money on gels for the time being :lol:

Okay, so my profile picture is my hair before... I got all the perm cut off, I have no damaged ends, it's completely natural hair, in the front I have this looser pattern that I kept chopping because I thought it was damaged, but it grows from my head that way... so I'd been cutting for nothing, I didn't realize you could have more than one uniform pattern throughout your head:look: But even when I do the twistouts... they come out dull, fuzzy and undefined. I can CLEARLY see my 3c/4a pattern, whichever it is... but it's also VERY frizzy hair around it... i don't know what to do!

Finding the right product really comes down to what your hair likes. If your hair doesn't like coconut oil or shea butter, don't use products with these ingredients. My hair is not a fan of either so I try to steer away from products where these are the main ingredients (*cough* Shea Moisture *cough*). My hair loves custards and gels so I rarely use creams. Do you know what has worked well for your hair in the past?
That my dear, is the million dollar question! Lol... I don't know what my hair really likes, because I'm starting from scratch with this natural stuff. Straightened hair, my hair loved chi silk infusion and John Freida frizz control... I would moisturize and seal with the optimum cream in the red lil jar... maybe a lil bit of kemi oyl... that's it. It would BLING to the GAWDS hunty! Now it's just dull and dry looking ALL the time... my wash n go looked 9 days old the same day I did it... :nono:

Switching from straightened to 100% natural does require a lot of trial and error so don't feel bad. I just threw away about 15 products I don't use (but let's not count the other 15+ products I still have :look:).
divine Thank you for your kind words... I'm just trying not to get frustrated... I wish I knew what would absolutely snap these curls into one uniformed look and help with the dry factor...

Last edited:

krikit96

Just a note, I will add pics when I get back outside to my phone -we cant bring them in my building-

I tried a style using Karen's Body Beautiful (the super hydrating moisturizer) and my silk elements leave in... I must say that my hair feels moisturized, but I can't really tell because I have a hat on... I did my hair based on this youtube video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-L4PLApyIk

I am now rockin' the lil hat over the twists... and tomorrow I will take them down before work... but her hair looks GREAT right??? I wonder if she would be considered a 4a... ? Stay tuned for pics...

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I love reading a good PJ Saga. It makes me feel all warm & tingly inside.:blush:

Haul On Sista' May the Force be With You.:lol:

ETA: I'd like to see the rest of that stash.:nono:

krikit96

krissyc39

A lot of times keeping your hair moisturized, stretched and free of splits is more than half the battle when it comes to styling successfully. Use some of those wonderful products to up your deep conditioning game (and some protein if your hair can take it). With products I feel like there is a good, better and best but even the best products wont do anything for your hair if your technique isn't right...

krikit96

IDareT'sHair - I'm too embarrassed to pull the rest of that mess out... smh. I will be using my stash up - and joining that challenge that I know I saw somewhere around here... :drunk:

krissyc39 - You know, I tried my first wash n go and it looked just as DRYYYY and ashy! I think if I had dc'd first... and moisturized then it would've looked a lot better. I will try to find a wash and go on youtube where someone is actually doing a LCO or LOC on their hair prior to applying styling products for a wash and go... I'm used to seeing people use conditioner, and then straight to ecostyler... :ohwell:

meka72

I love reading a good PJ Saga. It makes me feel all warm & tingly inside.:blush:

Haul On Sista' May the Force be With You.:lol:

ETA: I'd like to see the rest of that stash.:nono:

krikit96

This cracked me up because I said (to myself) that you were like the Yoda of PJism. Lol. Whenever I see that you're using something, I'm googling and trying to figure out how I can get some too. You fittin'ta make me mix up some MN and some MT.

Sorry for the brief hijack.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@krikit96

Girl, we understand. No Worries.:lol:

Pack up what you know for sure you're never going to use (Sell, Swap, Give Away).

It makes room for more stuff. :look:

Narrow things down to a few reputable lines. And Haul.:yep: