Product Review: Hot Head Thermal Hair Care Deep Conditioning Heat Cap

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I normally sit under my lovely hair steamer for about 30 minutes, give or take. However, there are days when I'm pressed for time and cannot dedicate an extra 30 minutes to hair. This brings me to the point of my post -- let's talk Hot Head Thermal Hair Care Deep Conditioning Heat Cap.

WHAT IS HOT HEAD?

Hot Head is a vendor that offers a reusable microwavable heat cap filled with flax seed which generates heat when warmed.

PRODUCT CLAIMS:

With just a minute or two in the microwave it will produce up to 45 minutes of heat.

REVIEW:

I unboxed my cap and immediately took notice of the high quality fabric and attention to detail -- very impressed. I'm no seamstress but the stitching is on point and the cap is as cute as can be. I really like that the heat packs are nicely spaced out and make contact with majority of your hair.

The cap included the following directions: place your Hot Head in a clean microwave for about 1 minute 30 seconds proceeding in 10 second increments followed by repositioning the Hot Head in the microwave to heat evenly. The time will vary depending on the microwave and the desired warmth.

The directions do not give a recommendation for max heating time based on microwave wattage. Therefore, I had to wing it which I'm not the greatest at doing. Here's why: I own the Heat Therapy Wrap and have successfully overheated it in the microwave and had to repurchase the heat packs. With that in mind, I was cautious and went easy on the heat with my Hot Head.

I heated the cap for a total of 1 minute 40 seconds --- I initially heated the cap for 1 minute 30 seconds cap side down. I wanted a little more heat, thus I heated it for an additional 10 seconds cap side up. My microwave swivels as it heats so I didn't feel the need to reposition the cap any more than I did.

HEAT:

The heat lasted a solid 30 minutes. The cap was minimally warm the last 15 minutes but kept the warmth trapped in.

Tip #1: I will heat the cap for 2 minutes on my next use to see if the heat will last up to 45 minutes.

Tip #2: You may find the nape missing out on some of the heat if you position the cap too low on your forehead. The front edge of the cap should be close to your hairline to ensure the heat travels down to your nape.

Tip #3: I always gather and pin the length of my hair at the crown for maximum heat contact. I followed this same method with the Hot Head as well.

SHIPPING:

All items are handmade, thus there is a processing time of 3-5 days. Although my cap was provided by Hot Head, processing/shipping was extremely quick. I wasn't watching the mail, looking for the cap, but I estimate it only took about 3 days to receive once I finally decided on a pattern.

CARE:

Although the cap is not machine washable, it can be spot cleaned using warm water and a mild detergent. I wore a plastic cap underneath the Hot Head to keep it nice and clean.

PRODUCT HIT OR MISS?

Product Hit --- the conditioner penetrated well and hair felt nice and moisturized. The icing on the cake is there are no cords or batteries required to power the heat. I liked that I was mobile while deep conditioning.

Note: pic #4 is before using Hot Head and pic #5 is after. Although the conditioner didn't absorb into the hair, it still worked well. I use a lot of conditioner so it's not uncommon for my conditioner to still be sitting on top of the hair and not be fully absorbed after I'm done conditioning.

HOT HEAD vs. HEAT THERAPY WRAP

I prefer Hot Head -- no exploding gel packs, burned fingers and has better heat distribution.

Another Hot Head thread is located here.

Attachments

• Hot Head.jpg
    Hot Head.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 46
  • hot head 1.jpg
    hot head 1.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 44
  • hot head 2.jpg
    hot head 2.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 41
  • hot head 4.jpg
    hot head 4.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 46
  • hot head 5.jpg
    hot head 5.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 52

JudithO

I tried it, but I prefer the hair therapy wrap. The cap is too tight for my comfort, the flax packs are in the middle and front and almost none the back, and it has a weird smell. I'm bout to put mine on the exchange forum.

Beamodel

I have it. I agree ^^^ it's very tight on my head. I do like it, but I personally prefer my heat therapy wrap. I feel like that heats my hair better.

Last edited:

KinkyGenius

I prefer the heat therapy wrap as well. The heat distribution leaves a lot to be desired for the Hot Head.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
My experience remains the same -- I prefer it over the heat therapy wrap. The heat distribution is not an issue for me and it doesn't fit tight on my head. I very much over burning my fingers with those heat packs with the heat therapy wrap.

Sorry it didn't work for you ladies -- JudithO, Beamodel, ShyIntellect