Hot Head Thermal Conditioning Cap

Lilmama1011

How long do you heat your cap up? I see they say don't exceed 3 minutes. The instructions say to do 3 increments of 45 seconds but I feel it's not hot enough. So I do 1 minute and a half on both sides to max it out and I love the temp then. But it does not stay a good temp for a whole 30 to 40 minutes. Maybe 15.... I kind of want to send it back but spilled red palm oil on it and they most likely won't take it back and I also I think it's better to have to get up twice than to be under that hooded dryer dripping. I have had it for 2 weeks . 1800w microwave btw

SEMO

I heat mine up for 60-90 seconds (any more than that and my scalp can't take it - I'm not sure of the watts on my microwave). I'll sometimes reheat it if the heat doesn't last long enough for me. I enjoy my hothead.

Smiley79

Hi Ladies, I was thinking of purchasing the Hot head for those times when i cant get under the dryer/steamer?
What do you all think of the hot head? I'd like some feedback before I spend $30.

kanozas

se ven las caras pero nunca el corazón
Hi Ladies, I was thinking of purchasing the Hot head for those times when i cant get under the dryer/steamer?
What do you all think of the hot head? I'd like some feedback before I spend $30.

I was thinking of getting one. Just keep warming it up. I presently use a Turbie Twist that I wet, squeeze out the excess water from and place in a glass bowl in the microwave for a minute or two. I place the steaming towel directly over my hair slathered in conditionerand another heavy plastic shower cap over that. You can put a plastic cap on first, the towel, then the heavy plastic cap over that as well.

Pygmy_puff

I never tried the Hot Head, but this Hair Therapy Wrap is bae! It stays warm for at least 30 minutes. I don't know long it stays hot after that because I'm too impatient to DC for that long. I got mine on Amazon for $35. :biggrin:

NaturalEnigma

I just brought the hot head cap and I'm using it now. I don't like how the cap touches my hair (with the plastic conditioning cap on). It kind of burned the top of my head a little when I put it on and I put it in the microwave for the recommended time. The flaxseeds are heavy and causes the cap to sag. I'm worried I might get heat damage that way. Did anyone experience that problem with theirs?

Sally.

I never tried the Hot Head, but this Hair Therapy Wrap is bae! It stays warm for at least 30 minutes. I don't know long it stays hot after that because I'm too impatient to DC for that long. I got mine on Amazon for $35. :biggrin:
is this the one you are referring to?

Lissa0821

I am so glad to see I am not the only one who thinks it only stays hot for 10 to 15 minutes. The one I have got stretched out with weekly use so I don't really care to use it much anymore.

Daina

Mine did not survive being washed in the washer...glad I caught it on sale and didn't pay much. I would not repurchase. Going to try a hard candy bonnet from BBC.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I've had the Hair Therapy Wrap and now I have the Hot Head. I used the Hair Therapy Wrap for years and it did well, but the little gel packets began to bust. I use the Hot Head now and I like it. It keeps enough heat for 20-30 minutes. That's all you really need anyway. I do let it sit longer because I'm too lazy and relaxing to rinse. By that time it is cooler, but my hair is still pretty warm from the body heat as well.

NaturalEnigma

I just brought the hot head cap and I'm using it now. I don't like how the cap touches my hair (with the plastic conditioning cap on). It kind of burned the top of my head a little when I put it on and I put it in the microwave for the recommended time. The flaxseeds are heavy and causes the cap to sag. I'm worried I might get heat damage that way. Did anyone experience that problem with theirs?

So I've been using the hot head cap for a couple of months now and low and behold on the top of my head where the hot head cap likes to sit I see major breakage. (Sigh) I knew that was going to happen. Now I have to find another alternative to deep conditioning this hair.

ilong

God's Own
So I've been using the hot head cap for a couple of months now and low and behold on the top of my head where the hot head cap likes to sit I see major breakage. (Sigh) I knew that was going to happen. Now I have to find another alternative to deep conditioning this hair.

May have to return my cap. Top of cap was too hot on crown of my head.:burn:

NaturalEnigma

May have to return my cap. Top of cap was too hot on crown of my head.:burn:

Lol, at the picture. That’s exactly how I felt. It was great at conditioning my hair. But when I saw that the top of my crown where the hot cap likes to sit had major breakage I was nuh uh, not for me so I stopped using it. Thankfully my crown grew back. I recently brought a soft bonnet hood hair dryer on Amazon by “Glow by Daye” . It can get pretty hot too, but the bonnet doesn’t sit on my head/scalp so I don’t have to worry about heat damage.

Last edited:

syrk

Lol, at the picture. That’s exactly how I felt. It was great at conditioning my hair. But when I saw that the top of my crown where the hot cap likes sit had major breakage I was nuh uh, not for me so I stopped using it. Thankfully my crown grew back. I recently brought a soft bonnet hood hair dryer on Amazon by “Glow by Daye” . It can get pretty hot too, but the bonnet doesn’t sit on my head/scalp so I don’t have to worry about heat damaged.

Wow. I love my hot head (or I thought I did) but I also have breakage right at the crown where the cap sits. I assumed it was from always sectioning off my hair in the same way, but it makes sense that it could be from the hot head :nono:

NaturalEnigma

Oh wow! I thought I was the only one. Do you have an alternative heat source you can use in the mean time to see if it’s the culprit?

syrk

Oh wow! I thought I was the only one. Do you have an alternative heat source you can use in the mean time to see if it’s the culprit?

Yea, I have a hooded dryer that I'll have to sit under instead. Way less convenient but it'll get the job done. It's probably partially my fault to. I always microwave the cap in increments closer to 1 minute than the recommended 45 seconds to get it really hot. I should have known because that thing would be way too hot to stand on my crown, so I'd keep lifting the cap up in that spot to get some relief from the heat. Learn something new about growing this hair everyday.

NaturalEnigma

I think I used to do the same and leave it in about one minute intervals. I tried putting the cap in the microwave for the recommended time frames but it always got too cool too quickly. Yeah, it was pretty hot, if I had the hot head on I couldn’t lay down and take a nap becuase I would burn myself, but like you said lesson learned.

ilong

God's Own
I returned the "microwavable" cap … but today I was in my storage pantry looking for a spare Dremel tool and a pack of "plain ol' clear plastic caps . While looking at boxes for the Dremel, mixed in and underneath some other boxes I saw this ….

Old Deep Coniditioning Cap.jpg

:eek: Brand new and unused. I'm 100% sure that it was my Mom's and since I had a working cap at the time, I just placed it in my pantry. It has to be at least 30 years old. Regardless of it's age … it works! I'm sitting with it on my head as I type. It has 3 settings and the hot setting is HOT!!!! :D

blazingbeauty

Have you all done hot oil treatments with the hot head cap? I usually don’t wet my hair when doing HOTs, and I don’t want to damage my hair with heat from the cap. Would you just wet your hair after applying the oil? Idk if that would repel the oil.