Thicker Fuller Hair Challenge 2013

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Is anyone else interested in doing a challenge like this? Instead of focusing on length I would like to get my hair at its optimal fullness and health.

I want to revamp my regimen so I can specifically get thicker hair while wearing it the way I want. I don't know if it will work but I would like to try. It would be great to have some support!

This is just my view towards this challenge:

Hair thickness is determined by 2 factors

genetic and non-genetic factors.

To get thicker hair you need to get closer to achieving your maximum natural thickness. This is the thickness you would have if all of your hair was the same length(excluding baby hair) For most, that is impossible. So that is why the goal is to get closer to that thickness, not necessarily to achieve it.This is where your natural density and strand thickness come into play.

Also having a proper dietary level is important for getting your hair to be at its healthiest and thickest state as it grows out of your scalp. A good diet is always the best to have. But if you are unsure try including a well rounded vitamin and/or mineral supplement to your diet.

In addition hair diameter can be additionally increased by ingredients in product such as panthenol,henna, protein polymers and more. These tend to be temporary however so these ingredients are best to have in products that are left on the hair such as deep conditioners,stylers and leave ins.

Here is my plan of action:

1.Reduce Shedding

by reducing the amount of hair lost at the scalp level we can get closer to getting to max thickness

This can be achieved by normalizing the scalps hair regeneration through the use of anti shedding products

2.Reduce Breakage

By reducing the amount of hair lost from the Midshaft and ends we can get closer to max thickness

This can be achieved by keeping the hair at a proper moisture/protien balance (especially focusing on the quality of proteins being used on the hair.)

3.Plumping up Strands

By increasing strand thickness we can give the illusion more hair is actually there than what occurs naturally.

This can be achieved by using volumizing products,coating agents and regular moisturizing to thicken the strands

By doing these things, the hair should increase in thickness and be more full than before.

Who is IN?

If you want to join mention me So i can add you to the list and post up your regimen which describes how you specifically are going to target your issues with the products you are using.

A starting pic is highly recommended but not required.

Here are some suggestions to help you build your regimen:

Deep condition at least 1 a week

Use a protein Treatment at least 1x a month

Add an anti shedding product if you feel like your shedding is higher than normal

moisturize hair at least 3x a week

Trim your ends every few months for a fuller look

Limit direct heat usage (no more than 2 times a month at a reasonable temperature)

Make sure to eat a balanced diet,drink plenty of water and excersise. If you feel you need a boost, look into trying an internal supplement.

These are just suggestions. It is up to you to build your own regimen that targets your specific hair needs.

Lets also make a list of products and ingredients that fit into the categories so we can know what to use when building our regimens.

Last edited:

EnExitStageLeft

YES! If this is the challenge, then I def. am joining. My hair is ok when it comes to thickness, but I know it could be better.

Will we be focusing on particular ingredients like Panthenol, castor oil, essentials oil and such?

If so, I hardly utilize panthenol. I've heard the miracles of it, but haven't really given it much of a chance. I may pick up a pathenol rich liquid based Leave In and try it out. I love Castor and EO's though, so I will be utilizing these the most for sure.

How:
I will try to seal with a castor based oil mix or use a castor based scalp oil at least 2-3x's a week. (Oils of choice, Coscosta Oil from Hairveda on my hair and Hairtrigger on my scalp.)

I will also continue to add EO's to my dc's and I may add a few more drops for maximum penetration.

Sorry if I'm jumping the gun a bit, but thicker hair would be awesome :yep:.

I'm tagging @demlew because I know she likes thicker hair as well, so she may potentially want to join.

Last edited:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
YES! If this is the challenge, then I def. am joining. My hair is ok when it comes to thickness, but I know it could be better.

Will we be focusing on particular ingredients like Pathenol, castor oil, essentials oil and such?

If so, I hardly utilize pathenol. I've heard the miracles of it, but haven't really given it much of a chance. I may pick up a pathenol rich liquid based Leave In and try it out. I love Castor and EO's though, so I will be utilizing these the most for sure.

How:
I will try to seal with a castor based oil mix or use a castor based scalp oil at least 2-3x's a week. (Oils of choice, Coscosta Oil from Hairveda on my hair and Hairtrigger on my scalp.)

I will also continue to add EO's to my dc's and I may add a few more drops for maximum penetration.

Sorry if I'm jumping the gun a bit, but thicker hair would be awesome :yep:.

I'm tagging demlew because I know she likes thicker hair as well, so she may potentially want to join.

EnExitStageLeft Yes I wanted to incorporate more panthenol usage in leave ins, styling products and other things too. I'm so excited! i was going to type up some more stuff in the OP but i wasn't sure how it would be received. I'm going to edit it now.

EnExitStageLeft

@EnExitStageLeft Yes I wanted to incorporate more panthenol usage in leave ins, styling products and other things too. I'm so excited! i was going to type up some more stuff in the OP but i wasn't sure how it would be received. I'm going to edit it now.

:happydance:

I can't wait! and I will check back in a few for the updated OP :yep:.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
:gorgeous:Challengers list::gorgeous:

@Napp
@EnExitStageLeft
@sharifeh
@soonergirl
@bunnie82
ghanagirl23
@Trixie58
Saludable84
Valerie
candie19
Hyacinthe
Jewell
JuicyyCouTuree
CafedeBelleza
greenandchic
LadyDeeLisa

Product List

Anti shedding ingredients:
Garlic extract and oil

Thickening Ingredients

Henna,Panthenol,Castor Oil

Anti shedding products
Alter Ego Garlic Hot oil treatment(deep treatment)
Alter Ego Cren(leave in drops)
Alter Ego Nequal(leave in drops)
Mezcla Cero Caida Line

Thickening products:
Nioxin Diamax
Alterna Caviar Clinical Daily Root & Scalp Stimulator
Samy FAT hair
Pantene Pro-V Expert Collection Agedefy Advanced Thickening Treatment
Rusk being gutsy hair thickener
Shea Moisture Organic Yucca & Baobab Line
Aubrey Organics Calaguala Fern Hair Thick/Conditioner(leave in)
Millkcreek Henna Shampoo and conditioner

Supplements:
Garlic supplements
Biotin
Bamboo Silica

Last edited:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I think I'm done...its been a while since I made a challenge.

I hope this wasn't too confusing....I tend to over think things.:look:

Here is my starting length. I'm just touching APL. I would like to get rid of that infernal gap in the middle of my hair.

Regimen

I plan to reduce shedding by:

Using anti shedding drop on scalp 1-2X a week.
Using a garlic deep conditioner every other week(alter ego)

I plan to reduce breakage by:
Sealing keratin in my hair every week with an ultrasonic iron
Deep conditioning with heat for at least 30 mins every week.
moisturizing 2-3 times a week
Minimal daily styling

I plan to thicken my strands by
using a thickening leave in
straightening my hair on a lower temperature to give it a fuller look

Attachments

• 6b6ab03d-bbe7-4b10-b114-4af824508ded_zps22bc8441.jpg
    6b6ab03d-bbe7-4b10-b114-4af824508ded_zps22bc8441.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

EnExitStageLeft

My Starting Pic.....Also will also come back and do the ingredient list when I have time.

Attachments

• 2013-02-18_13.17.16-1.jpg
    2013-02-18_13.17.16-1.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 105

winona

I will be cheering you ladies on from the sidelines. I won't be doing any challenges this year but I am definitely keeping it simple and working on thickness and health:). Length will come

bunnie82

Mentioning you to join Napp

Hi ladies.... I NEED this challenge! If you've seen my vids on youtube you know my hair is on the thinner side....:perplexed

My length currently is full APL....a THIN full APL and I want to gain some thickness. Although this is a challenge for thickness only, I will be working on length as well..

What I will be doing to get thicker strands is:

Henna or Cassia obovata treatments
Ayurvedic Pastes
Staying consistent with my protein game. I just bought Dudley's DRC 28
Incorporating Castor oil in my regi.
DC'ing weekly. (might invest in Huetiful)
Pathenol treatments
trimming

What I will be doing to reduce shedding is:

Weekly Tea rinses
Bi weekly Garlic treatments

What I will be doing to retain my length is:

Bunning
Low to no manupulation
Comb once a week

Vitamins I will be taking:

Women's Multi Vitamin
Hairfinity (not really certain if I like this stuff yet)
Bamboo extract
B complex

Foods I will be eating more of:

Less fried food
Salmon
Chicken
Sushi
Healthy Cereals

My sad picture is attached....

Attachments

• 1770 altered.jpg
    1770 altered.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 210

Napp

Ms. Nobody
:yay: Welcome bunnie82. I actually thought this thread was about to go into the challenge graveyard lol

I will be incorporating ultrasonic technology in my regimen too to see if it can help me battle my breakage. wish me luck!

also i like the way you laid out the regimen! i will put mine like that too!

virtuenow

This is like the Lucious Ends challenge also focusing on thickening the hair

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

bunnie82

:yay: Welcome @bunnie82. I actually thought this thread was about to go into the challenge graveyard lol

I will be incorporating ultrasonic technology in my regimen too to see if it can help me battle my breakage. wish me luck!

also i like the way you laid out the regimen! i will put mine like that too!

Napp thanks!!!! No way! this is a great challenge!!!

what's ultrasonic technology?

Also, when does this challenge start and end?

gracias!!!

Napp

Ms. Nobody
This is like the Lucious Ends challenge also focusing on thickening the hair

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

oh i forgot about that challenge! i guess they do overlap some!

Napp thanks!!!! No way! this is a great challenge!!!

what's ultrasonic technology?

Also, when does this challenge start and end?

gracias!!!

I was thinking we did 2 sessions, from march- july and from aug-september.

I was planning to start on the 8th of march.

freecurl

Thought about joining, but still unsure if it's possible to thicken the strand. I'm ready to rinse out a cassia treatment from overnight.

bunnie82

Sooooo....i just bought a steamer...i didn't get the huetiful...instead i got a stand up one from LCL beauty!

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Thought about joining, but still unsure if it's possible to thicken the strand. I'm ready to rinse out a cassia treatment from overnight.

freecurl I believe it is possible but to a limit. first of all its usually temporary, and second of all it wont make baby fine hair turn into coarse asian hair. it wil just get it thicker than it was.

it may also be the concentration of thinking agent in a product. Remember just because it has panthenol for example it doesnt mean that it is a high enough amount to actually give noticeable thickening results. Because of this i would look for thickening products that are more concentrated.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Sooooo....i just bought a steamer...i didn't get the huetiful...instead i got a stand up one from LCL beauty!

tell me how your first DC with it goes!

I was thinking about trying a metallic conditioning cap to see if it will make my DCs better.:scratchch

Jewell

Funny that this thread should appear...I just started a personal challenge to thicken my hair. My hair is decently thick and full as it is, but I want it even more so. Because I wont be doing the frequent trimming, (boding to the lead hairs theory, Im not trimming but 2 times a year), I will participate in my own form of this chall and look on from the sidelines.

Last edited:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Jewell the guidlines were just to help people make their own regimen. They arent mandetory. for this challenge you are supposed to make a regimen for yourself that targets your specific hair needs.

I should clarify this in the op

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I was thinking about air drying instead of rollersetting of blowdrying to help reduce direct heat exposure and hair manipulation heat. I wonder if that will work out. I will be getting a new flat iron(the new maxiglide!:yay:) so hopefully i can get 1 step straightening.

now i just need to figure out how will i stretch the hair to reduce manipulation but keep volume:scratchch

EnExitStageLeft

@Napp, I suggest Banding. I love this method for just that reason. I can't stretch my hair out w/o any heat or that dreaded flat to the head look and this is the case even after days of doing a modified version of the LOC method that requires me to apply an oil and butter/pomade to my hair everyday (LCOB/P).

My Wet Hair: (Texlaxed/Texturized, No product)
20130119_20_46_03-vi.jpg

How I Band: One ponytail straight down. Your transitioning so you will more then likely need more :)
20121202_23_43_45-vi.jpg

My result: (Well sort of, this is my hair 45 to 55% dry. I took this pic specifically to show how effective this method is. My hair isn't even close to dry and already my hair is stretched. I friggin' love it :) )
a37QxsAUwVVaDkDCiY63gV18B9oRIM-vi.jpg

Last edited:

EnExitStageLeft

Update:

I picked up a bottle some 10 gram Gelatin vitamins. I plan to use these as well as Viviscal Hair Repair/Hair vitamins, Garlic supplements, Panthenol laced products and castor oil as my thickening products. Wish me luck ladies :).