Thicker Fuller Hair Challenge 2013

EnExitStageLeft that reggi sounds good! I need to add more stuff to the lists! you seem like you got quite a few goodies in your regimen!

As for the banding i will try it this week if i have time.(IDK if i have the time to air dry)

After looking at the reniece thread, i think the issue is the quality of my heat tools. i was thiking of getting a better blowdryer but using on high with the low to medium heat setting. im thinking i will get smoother elongated hair with less risk the risk of heat damage,moisture loss and brittle hair. its all conjecture though(this whole thread is based on conjecture lol)

The only way to know if it will work is to try it out!:drunk:

Napp

I have a Elchim 3000 Tourmaline/Ceramic dryer and it only cost me about 35 (now 39.98, still not bad for such an amazing dryer) dollars off Ebay. This model is limited edition and is slowly being phased out, so this is the reasoning behind the low pricing (I researched lol). It has adjustable temps and I use it on the Medium heat on a Medium setting and my hair loves me for it. Its seals my cuticle like no ones business and gives the hair a a nice lustrous nice sheen.

I also have a couple good irons I like.

My Flat Irons: (All of which I paid less then 50 bucks for......I'm a SERIOUS flat iron bargain hunter :lachen:)

1 Sedu Revolution
1 Sedu Pro
1 Ceramic Tourmaline Hairart Iron
1 H2pro Vivace

I use the sedu's the most for routine flat ironing, but like the other two for my light pressings in the summer to prepare for styles like beachy waves, loose bantu knots or other curly bohem styles on occassion.

Also may I suggest banding before blow drying. I think this may be the safest and less damaging way for you to acheive the stretched look you desire. I know you say you don't have much time for air drying, so I suggest you either do it overnight and style in the morning (what I typically do) or band and sit under your bonnet dryer on low until almost dry and then finish it off with the dryer until completely dry(I do this when I straighten my hair). I love and use both of these methods and have great success with both.

HTH's:)

I am joining. My hair has come a long way since joining the forum but I have slacked off my reggie the last few months, meaning, I have been visiting the Dominican salon and wrapping my hair, sometimes even getting it flat ironed at the salon, because I've had a lot of events to attend, and I've also been slacking on my baggying, ignoring my vitamins, and falling asleep without paying too much attention to my hair. The flat ironing and full blowing at the Dominican salon doesn't help, and I also know now that I shouldn't work out with a baseball cap on because it's drying (sorry everyone be patient with me :) ). But honestly I have learned the last month that WRAPPING is the most deleterious thing for my hair. It destroys my edges. I have gone through several cycles where my nape breaks, then it grows back, then it breaks, then it grows back, and I have finally realized that wrapping is the culprit. I don't get this breakage when I don't wrap.

All this to say, my hair is healthy and the ends are good, but my hair is still thinner because of recent nape breakage and breakage behind my ears. It is really bad all of a suddent! The castor oil et all is good, but in my case, my hair won't be full again until my nape and ear breakage grows in (funny how a layer of hair can make such a difference). I think because my hair is layered and grows in a V, that layer makes a bigger difference. So...I'm in this challenge but my reggie is more focused on my nape and behind my ears.

Reggie is: STOP normal doobie wrapping, start pin curling the top and cross wrapping the back; baby my nape; do not relax my nape for the next two relaxers; stretch my relaxers in general, hair & nair vitamins. Massage castor oil and infusium 23+water into my nape every night, cornrow it occassionally. Baggy the rest of my hair at night with coconut oil & moisturizer.

The castor oil/infusium has worked in the past, somehow I have gotten my nape to fill in and "catch up" even tho the rest of my hair is still growing (?). Never understood that. Anyway hopefully it will work again. I've attached a current pic. I am okay with the length, I just had a couple inches trimmed off so I'm growing back to APL (hopefully next couple months), and then maybe I can try for BSL for the first time. But I am more obsessed with the breakage that's making it look thin at the ends :(. I also am afraid of protein, I have had over proteined hair in the past, but I do plan to incorporate Nexus Emergence here and there.

Thank you for this challenge, would love to hear from any of my other hair fam that may be thin due to edge/nape breakage.

Attachments

• Other-mar 2013 052.JPG
    Other-mar 2013 052.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 41
Trixie58

Been there and just now making my way back. My nape from early 2007 to later 2008 was shiny bald. Like nothing there....yeah nothin' :lol:.

It wasn't until I realize I had no nape for me to realize just how damage my nape area was. I wore bobs for years so, I'm assuming wrapping everyday, routine swipes with the flat iron in the back daily to "lay" my "nape" down, and infrequent washing was the culprit. I've been pretty successful at growing it out though.

I moisturize that area and my edges 2 twice a day, Massage it nightly with Hairtrigger, I put very little tension on it, I only texturize it twice a year and I comb it very gently once a day to make sure it doesn't accumulates knots and tangles (I have fine strands, so I tangle quite easily).

It is now full shoulder length and considering where it came from I'm pretty happy about it.

HTH's encourage you. I know how frustrating it can be, so know you're not alone :).

Trixie58

Not trying to overload you, but I seen when you said your afraid of protein. Have you considered building yourself to a hard protein like Nexxus Emergencee. I think you may be protein sensitive. Maybe you can try a light reconstructive treatment first, like Aphoghee 2 minute Reconstructor or Mill Creek Biotin condish before starting with a big boy like Emergencee. Just a suggestion. I was exactly like that towards the middle of my HJ. I got moisture overload constantly, but started to experiment with light protein only to realize that my hair actually really loved protein (I had high porosity).

Also you may want to do the strand test: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlr...ethods/quick-easy-hair-porosity-density-tests

This will let you know your hair's porosity. If your susceptible to protein like you mentioned before then you may have low porosity and require little to no protein at all. The strand test will determine you porosity and from there you can research the forum about you type of porosity and its wants and needs.

HTH's :)

I'm about to oil my hair with castor oil.....I'm really trying to stay on top of this "thickness" routine.....

EnExitStageLeft, thanks babe. I got the Keratina Brazilian relaxer treatment about four years ago and my hair was destroyed. I had to cut it above my shoulders. I shouldn't be afraid of protein, it's irrational. I was using Emergencee here and there maybe mid last year when my hair was thriving. I think I just made an executive decision to stop the protein treatments since my hair can get really dry, but that wasn't the right decision! I am hoping that if I engage protein along with the other suggestions my nape will grow out. I am also joining the BSL 2013 challenge although I don't know how it will be possible to worry about my length when my nape needs all the attention :)

@Napp

I have a Elchim 3000 Tourmaline/Ceramic dryer and it only cost me about 35 (now 39.98, still not bad for such an amazing dryer) dollars off Ebay. This model is limited edition and is slowly being phased out, so this is the reasoning behind the low pricing (I researched lol). It has adjustable temps and I use it on the Medium heat on a Medium setting and my hair loves me for it. Its seals my cuticle like no ones business and gives the hair a a nice lustrous nice sheen.

I also have a couple good irons I like.

My Flat Irons: (All of which I paid less then 50 bucks for......I'm a SERIOUS flat iron bargain hunter :lachen:)

1 Sedu Revolution
1 Sedu Pro
1 Ceramic Tourmaline Hairart Iron
1 H2pro Vivace

I use the sedu's the most for routine flat ironing, but like the other two for my light pressings in the summer to prepare for styles like beachy waves, loose bantu knots or other curly bohem styles on occassion.

Also may I suggest banding before blow drying. I think this may be the safest and less damaging way for you to acheive the stretched look you desire. I know you say you don't have much time for air drying, so I suggest you either do it overnight and style in the morning (what I typically do) or band and sit under your bonnet dryer on low until almost dry and then finish it off with the dryer until completely dry(I do this when I straighten my hair). I love and use both of these methods and have great success with both.

HTH's:)

EnExitStageLeft I think i will try banding under the dryer this week. I really dont have time to traditionally set my hair anyway. I also don't have the cash for the dryer i want(i want a ferrari:look:) Alls i know is i am going to not use my current blowdryer until i upgrade.:nono:

@Napp....good choice. I want a Valera hair dryer, but for now the Elchim will do. I hate spending over 50 bucks for a styling tool. I did it once and I soulcried for weeks:lachen:.
Hope the banding session goes well :). report back with a update if possible.

Welcome Trixie58! If you havent started already i highly suggest you learn how to cross wrap. Its very easy an the hair gets just as straight when you take it down. i personally like to part my hair into two with a zigzag part. this helps when you take it down so it doesn't leave a part in your hair.

Last edited:
Thank you so much Napp. I tried cross wrapping using a youtube video and it was a disaster. I had a large bend in my hair and had to blow dry it out lol. I guess I can keep trying, maybe I just have to hone the technique. but I am not sure wrapping at all was meant to be for me. I wound up just pin curling the top and kind of cross wrapping the bottom loosely. That was good for an event I had that night, gave it nice body. But I tried to sleep that way and when I woke up it was kind of a mess. I still need to figure out how to sleep when I have to keep my hair looking good for (gasp) more than one day. No luck, ever. Normally when I have no events I moisturize, seal, loosely braid, it, and baggy. Works fine when I put my hair up, but doesnt work when I want to wear it out for an event (growls).

Added note---got a 1 inch trim yesterday. I went to the salon, she washed, DC'd and blew me out, and my ends were messy and wouldn't lay right, so I was like okay we cut it. It's amazing how much thickness a little 1 inch trim can add. she may have done a little more on the sides where the breakage behind my ears was worse, if she did what I asked despite our language barrier :). Anyway it helped a lot. I am hoping it will make it easier to grow out my breakage and get my thickness back. Will post pictures after I straighten it again, I am wearing it up so it has become wavy again.

I would definitely like to join this challenge. I have been texturised three weeks ago and I would like to challenge myself, for at least the three months or so. It really sounds good. Very pleased for this challenge, it couldn't have come at a better time.

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    580.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I will be putting oil on my hair Vatika oil, and castor oil, before adding cassia/henna and other Ayurvedic powders such as Brahmi, Amla, rose, methi powders, to help with thickness and strength.

Half a cup of rose water, weekly just before I condition, to help with shredding.

Deep condition with castor oil, coconut oil, aloe vera gel and a favourite conditioner to help with moisture.

Massage twice daily. Throughout the day if need a mixture of filtered water, aloe vera juice and MSM to help with moisture.

To retain length, sleep with a plastic cap at night.

Mega tek mixed with garlic, MSM, biotin, rosemary essential oil, lemon essential oil and peppermint, castor oil and aloe vera gel applied to my roots and scalp only.

Supplements Nanogen Intervention, Biotin, Wheatgerm oil.

Foods, chicken, eggs, green foods, incorporate exercise.

Valerie Saludable84.....:welcome:

:look:...So umm....Guess who didn't take her vitamins yesterday. <------THIS GIRL!

*Sigh* I think this is why I cut vitamins out of my regimen a while back. Keeping up with them can be hard :(. I'm going to take them tonight though :yep:. I can't wait to receive my Gelatin Vitamins, from what i research they work extremely well at thickening the actual hair strand. They recommend 14g though :perplexed. However all I could find were 10g and those were hard to find as well.

If any of you are interested here is the thread where I found out about gelatin.

Thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=340067

Napp

I soooooo need this! I'm in!:woot:

What I will be doing to get thicker strands is:
-castor oil
-deep conditioning
-stretching my relaxer

What I will be doing to reduce shedding is:
-black tea rinses
low manipulation

What I will be doing to retain my length is:
100% hair protection
Low to no manupulation
finger combing

Vitamins I will be taking:

Perfectil for hair, skin, and nails
Msm
Chlorella

Foods I will be eating more of:

juicing more
increase water intake
increase plant base diet

@soonergirl

I had a panthenol rich Leave In and didn't even realize it. Jane Carter Solution Revitalizing Leave In Conditioner. Its smells like cheap baby powder (I don't care for it that much), but works nicely combined with my other leave ins.

Also another product I have that is keratin, Vitamin H(Biotin), panthenol and collagen rich.....Mill Creek Botanicals Biotin Condish. I will be using this as a reconstructor this upcoming wash day and see how it works out.

Last edited:
Napp

This is what I will be doing:

stretching
being stricter with my protein treatments

less scratching
investing in a scalp massager
tea rinsing

Sticking with rollersetting
protective styling
incorporating more silk protein into my regimen

my Rx prenatals. I notice less shedding when I am strict with taking them. But that may just be the iron
Want to try Silica

I drink a good amount of water, but I really want to up what I am still drinking. Also want to incorporate more tea

-jamaican black castor oil
-deep conditioning
-stretching my relaxer to every 16-20 weeks

-detangling before combing my hair

weaves, braids, and buns

I just ordered a 6 month package of hairfinity wish me luck university girl on a budget better work lol

fruits
increase water intake

starting pic is in my signature

Napp

So far i really like the rusk being gutsy thickener. i want to use it alone next week to see how it well it performs. my hair has so much volume when straight! Im loving it!

Hey ladies I'm not joining the challenge, just dropped in to share some tips. My hair has always been kind of thick, but I read something about adding gelatin powder to condish for stronger hair and I started to do that. Not only did my hair become stronger(sometimes it cuts my fingers), but thicker as well. I add the gelatin to my cowash conditioner and I use it 4-6 times a week. I add about 2 teaspoons of gelatin powder to 500ml of condish and it works! I've been doing this for over 6 months now and I'm natural. I hope this helps someone.

so far my hair is really full looking with body this week! :yay: by now its starts to look flat and oily.

how is everyone else coming along?

so far my hair is really full looking with body this week! :yay: by now its starts to look flat and oily.

how is everyone else coming along?

Napp...Glad you are seeing progess.

As for me I incorporated a couple 'thickening' products into my wash day yesterday.

I did a protein dc under my soft bonnet dryer using Mill Creek Botanicals Biotin Condish. The first five ingeedients are Water, Biotin, Panthenol, Hyrolyzed Keratin amd Hydrolyzed Collagen. :lick:.

I also used this JCS Revitaling Leave In which contains Panthenol and I sealed using Hairveda Coscosta Oil which is castor oil based. Loving how my hair is feeling so far :)

Back