3 Month Baggie Challenge

Hey guys,

I am going to begin to wear my baggie for the next three months so nothing will come between me and my December goal. This is the first time I am trying this method but I see it has worked wonders for plenty of our members.

What I plan to do is wear a baggie/bun for a minimum of 5 days out of the week until December 23rd.

My Christmas gift to myself will be nice healthy ends in addition to reaching my length goal. This way, not only will I have attained my desired legenth by maximum hair retension, it will also be healthy and I won't have that itch for a trim once I get there.

Would Anyone Like to Join Me?

"All I want for Christmas is my Healthy Hair, my Healthy Hair, my Healthy Hair"

Cichelle

I'm in. I actually started this yesterday. I think this will not only help maintain my ends, but also get me through this period of frustration I am having about what to do with my hair. :)

Crem

I would love to try this

I just need to know figure out what type of bun I'd like

and how to do it

I'm open to suggestions/styles

Crem said:
I would love to try this

I just need to know figure out what type of bun I'd like

and how to do it

I'm open to suggestions/styles

Hi Crem! Great!! What I do is take a very thin satin cap and wrap it around the baggie. Then I cover the satin cap with a larger scrunchie. Inside of my baggie I have my hair saturated with moisturizer w/ 2 types of essential oils.

All Right Cichelle!! I agree with the ends and fustration. Esp, when you start seeing breakage. What products are you using in your baggie? Are you using phony pony or scrunchie?

simplycee said:
Good luck to you! I think its a great idea.

Thank You!! I just looked at your album -- your hair is beautiful, long and thick. If that is not inspiration for this challenge, I dont know what is. How often did you remove your baggie? Did you do frequent CW?

Crem

SerenityBreeze said:
Hi Crem! Great!! What I do is take a very thin satin cap and wrap it around the baggie. Then I cover the satin cap with a larger scrunchie. Inside of my baggie I have my hair saturated with moisturizer w/ 2 types of essential oils.

All Right Cichelle!! I agree with the ends and fustration. Esp, when you start seeing breakage. What products are you using in your baggie? Are you using phony pony or scrunchie?

Ok that sounds good, I wanna try the satin cap and a phoney bun

But I need to figure out what type of essential oils I need

and I gotta go do my most favorite thing

supply shopping:grin:

Cichelle

SerenityBreeze said:

I'm really happy about this challenge. I made a spray of distilled water and conditioner that I am using, plus avocado butter sometimes. But this weekend I am going to buy some EO (which kinds are you using?). I am using a bun cover (actually nylon fabric) with a scrunchie. I've decided to have two baggies in the back because I have layers, and I want to make sure all my ends are being protected. I have an idea to crochet some pretty bun covers. I'm looking for patterns and will probably start trying to make one tonight. I CW or rinse daily.

Let's check in soon. I'm all baggied up today...and much less frustrated.

L

lkg4healthyhair

Please count me in. 3 months is perfect.

I wear a bun daily anyway. I don't want to wear a phony pony so I will wear a bun cover/satin over the baggie (thanks Serenity for the idea). I have never tried the baggie method but I am determined to do it this time.

Since I wear a wash n go on the weekends I will wear a shower cap under a satin cap overnight.

I am going to get these ends in shape if it's the last thing I do.

Please continue to post your prouducts...I am taking notes!

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
SerenityBreeze said:
Thank You!! I just looked at your album -- your hair is beautiful, long and thick. If that is not inspiration for this challenge, I dont know what is. How often did you remove your baggie? Did you do frequent CW?

I removed mine at night to wash or rinse my hair and I put it right back up. I cw a couple times but I mostly rinse with water while in the shower. I did the baggie mostly at night and wore a bun in the morning. I only wear a phony pony once in a blue moon but whenever I wear one this is what I do with my hair underneath.

Cinnabuns

Aww man, I miss the baggie method. In my permed days this was the only style that I sported.

I'm sporting a twa now after my big chop in May of this year. Well it looks like I can't join this challange but the best of luck to everyone doing it. :)

Naijaqueen

I'm in!!! :D

Looking to retain at least 2-3inches by Dec, anything for Healthy Shoulder Length!! I get a DOminican blowout Friday but I'll be bagging it up all fall right into our cold winter here :)

I've a mix of surge, s-curl, virgin coconut oil, and then I'll have shea butter. I want to go get a couple of phony ponies, I only have 1, I want the ones that look like they could be my hair. Serenity whats the satin bun cover?

Alright ladies, its the Baggie bootcamp, lets get to work!!!!

Candygirl

Candygirl
Hi ladies!! Count me in on this. Need to get my my butt in gear anyways...been kinda slack with my hair. Will be checkin in as well. Stephanie

naturaline

:p i REALLY want to join but now im natural, my hair can just about fit in to a bun- i was sooo happy when i was able to do my 1st bun earlier this week! (sorry of topic :D ) does anyone have any ideas for shorter hair???? :confused:

Yay! So far it's 8 of us including,Cichelle,Crem,lkg4healthyhair,LadyZ,Naijaqueen,Candygirl,locabouthair & myself.

Hopefully, we should each be able to retain between 2-3 inches each!! Lets keep each other posted!! So far, my ends have been sooo soft. I have also been CW daily and my hair loves it!! Hardly any hair breakage when I rinse my hair.

Lkg4healthyhair, the cover I am using is a very thin nylon/satin like sleeping cap. It is made of doo-rag material. It works well for me to cover my bun!!

Happy Retaining!

MzTami

Hellerrrr
I want to join but I am not quite sure what is meant by "BAGGIE CHALLENGE"
Does it mean, wearing a phony ponytail but wrapping plastic around your real ponytail and then attaching the phony ponytail?

Let me know so that I can join. Post pictures so I can see.
Sorry I am new to the forum.

Transitioning
Last relaxer- 07/02/2005
Texture-2b/medium???4b/medium ( I haven't figured it out yet)
Length- 2 to 3 inches pass shoulder
Goal-shoulder length 100% natural healthy hair.

I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn’t, than live my life as if there isn’t and die to find out there is!- unknown

http://public.fotki.com/mztami
password: mztami

MzTami

Hellerrrr
I'm in for the Baggie Challenge too.

Transitioning
Last relaxer- 07/02/2005

I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn’t, than live my life as if there isn’t and die to find out there is!- unknown

NYRICAN1

im in for the baggie challenge too. does shea butter mixed with rosemary oil sound like a good combination. ideas please! ;)

Lucia

naturaline said:
:p i REALLY want to join but now im natural, my hair can just about fit in to a bun- i was sooo happy when i was able to do my 1st bun earlier this week! (sorry of topic :D ) does anyone have any ideas for shorter hair???? :confused:
get one of those plastic caps @ Sallys theyre cheap like 30 for $3, moisterize your hair then put the cap on @ night, this works too.

zzirvingj

Who all natural is doing this? I ask b/c I want to do it too but I can't see taking the bun out more than once a week to redo it. :(

The reason is because my hair is CRAZY THICK and course and it takes a while for me to condition wash, detangle, and get it pulled all the way back in a bun to look decent enough to but a bun cover over. In other words, it's a PROCESS...for real lol.

How often do you guys plan on taking off the bun/phony pony to redo it? Once a week? Every day? I'm imaginging alot of people will redo every day so they can make sure to moisturize their whole head...?

Lucia

when I do the phonytail, baggie or full baggie daily, Cowash daily of every other day. I'm natural but it works for me now. I use butters and glaze to slick the front hair back then I use a headband to hold it half way for the shorter hairs.

locabouthair

i heard b4 that someone used conditioner on their ends to keep them moist. i was wondering did anyone use conditioner with the baggie?

Cichelle

I do. Well, I use a spray that I mixed up of distilled water, conditioner, and some rosemary hair oil.

MzTami

Hellerrrr
You can't take the baggie off for a week? I thought you do it daily. I can't have that much stress on my head.

Someone plz reply

Transitioning
Last relaxer- 07/02/2005

Cichelle

No, you don't have to keep the baggie on for a week straight. I, for one, cowash every morning and then put the baggie on. Everyone has their own method of exactly how they do it. Give it a try in a way that seems comfortable and see how it works out for you.

MzTami said:
I want to join but I am not quite sure what is meant by "BAGGIE CHALLENGE"
Does it mean, wearing a phony ponytail but wrapping plastic around your real ponytail and then attaching the phony ponytail?

Let me know so that I can join. Post pictures so I can see.
Sorry I am new to the forum.
mztami

First of all let me say :wave: WELCOME :wave:

The baggie method is designed to help keep your hair moisturized and assists with maximum hair retainage.

Below is a link discussing how other members "work it"
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=64997&highlight=baggie+method

Below is a link of an awesome illustration of putting it together thanks to dontspeakdefeat:
http://public.fotki.com/dontspeakdefeat/how_to_do_various/baggie_technique

It is not necessary to wear a phony pony over your baggie, just a matter of preference. What is most important is to have your hair sealed/protected in a baggie with oils & moisturizers.

In this challenge we are wearing a baggie at least 5 days out of the week until December 23rd. Many of us have December goals to reach and I thought this would help us on that final stretch!! You are more than welcome to join in!

Last edited:
MzTami said:
You can't take the baggie off for a week? I thought you do it daily. I can't have that much stress on my head.

Someone plz reply

Sorry for the delay, this hurricane Katrina Slapped me around a bit. I take my baggie off every other day, or each time I CW. I do this for 5 days out of the week. Yesterday, I tried it with a Dominican Avacado deep conditioner. The other two days out of the week, I take a break.

I also wanted to add that when I put the baggie on my head, I put the ponytail holder **on top** of the plastic baggie to avoid any stress from the band directly on my wet hair.

Last edited:

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I'm in I tried the baggie challenge only once about a week ago and it made my ends feel so silky compared to the before touch so I can imagine what 3mnths could do!!:grin: :D

3 MONTH BAGGIE CHALLENGE here I come!!!!!!!!!!
Surge, S-curl, olive oil, WGO, Elasta QP mango mixture, petroleum.