I think Nonie's advice is working

dyh080

Back in May I read a thread where Nonie advocated regular dusting. She also posted enlarged photos of hair strands that showed damaged ends are present even if invisible to the naked eye.

I believe she also said she doesn't protective style, moisturize,etc but simply dust regularly.

I followed her advice and yes, I think it works. In less than 4 months, it appears my fine hair is no longer see through when I hold it up to the light. It seems to be more thick an healthier. Oh and yes, I have retained growth, but did not measure.

Thanks,Nonie.

AmyRose92

Same here. I just cannot go through more than three/four months without dusting otherwise my retention rate starts to slow down and my hair becomes more and more tangled at the ends.

It's one of the best things I've done for my hair this year!

MarieB

I need to get on this...I am transitioning, and while I have no qualms about snipping the old straight ends now and then, I've been wary about taking off any of the new growth--just too enamored of my newly natural hair, I guess.

caliscurls

AmyRose92 said:
Same here. I just cannot go through more than three/four months without dusting otherwise my retention rate starts to slow down and my hair becomes more and more tangled at the ends.

Ditto. Dusting and less (and lower) heat has made a huge difference for me.

southerncitygirl

yep this works :) i retain more by dusting every 3-4 months as well rather than waiting 6-9 months which leads to more cutting because of more rangles, breakage and splits. i'm due for a dusting before the month is out.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
Regular dusting is definitely a part of my regimen....keeps the big chops away! I also wear my hair out, and retain my length. I don't even seek out SSK's anymore.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
OMG! Get out of my head OP! I was doing my monthly dusting this morning and remembered the :spank: @Nonie gave me for admitting to never trimming:lol:! Well I BCd and then have been dusting every month. My retention has never been better. I take off ~1/8 to 1/4 inch the first weekend of every month. Even with that, I'd say in 2 months I probably won't be a TWA anymore.

So thank YOU NONIE! Your advice does not disappear into a vacuum!:blowkiss:

manter26

I have fine hair so I have to dust regularly too. When I hold my hair up to my computer screen, I can see occasional shredded ends. I'd rather cut if off than have it break off and continue to split.

KurlyNinja

Yep. Took off about 1/2" about 2 weeks ago. I'm going to do that about every 3-4 months. My hair just feels LOVELY!

irisak

I dust with every touch up because of Nonie too and my ends have never looked better. My hair grows in a serious v so see through ends are a common occurrence, especially with my fine strands. So yes nonie deserves this shout out.

Sent from my HTC EVO using LHCF. *sigh* auto correct

irisak

rainbowknots said:
How are you ladies dusting your ends?

I part my hair in very small sections, almost like I'm flat ironing and snip off the very tips or the see through parts. Since I've started dusting I've never had to cut off more than 1/2 an inch.

Sent from my HTC EVO using LHCF. *sigh* auto correct

claud-uk

I dust weekly though I'm trying to cut it down (no pun intended!). My hair is usually in 6 plaits, so as I undo each plait to M&S I section it into smaller pieces, hold the hair up to the light and take off what needs it. Trying to get out the habit of snipping bc I don't like the look of the hair, rather than bc the hair is split or damaged.

Dominicanatural

Just dusted this weekend. My last true trim was at the end of April and i have searched and destroyed since. Though i had no visible splits, my hair just felt a little rough at the ends. I put my hair in medium sized twists (about an inch cross section of hair) then smoothed my index and thumb down the twist, felt when the twist was thin/rough and snipped. My hair looks and feels better even after taking only 1/4" off.

Saga

The Generous Queen
I'm dusting while reading this thread, I missed the feeling of freshly clipped ends. It's easier to do it cause I'm already in mini-braids so I wont have to worry about them tangling up on themselves as much, which is why I avoid trims as much as possible to begin with.

ProtectiveStyling

I haven't read this whole thread, but Nonie and I are on the same page with trimming. I was about to post this picture in the BSL thread, but I will share it here. I trim way too much and know my hair should be MBL. Plus, sadly, many stylist have really butchered my hair this year. Im still happy, however, because my hair is healthy. I need to learn to trim on the own though. I do not have super long hair, but its thick and my ends aren't too thin nor see through.

The first picture is my hair right now. The second one is my hair in July. Not a huge difference because I got 2 inches cut off plus layers added. But the thing is, it grew back to the length it was in July and I have the layers I desired.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120908_114751.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120908_114751.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 192
  • ForumRunner_20120908_114851.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120908_114851.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

coyacoy

This is the truth for me as well

reeko43

I don't understand how anyone can go without trimming. I see a lot of that on Youtube. My hair would be so tangled and hard to manage. Hair just feels better with regular trims.

HanaKuroi

I finally replaced the shears my momma messed up and bought some at Sallys. I will not be going there again. They chase after you like you are walking right in to steal. And no, theydo it to everybody. I have sat in my carvand watched. Also my yt neighbors say the same thing. I will order online if I must, but I am done.

I will trim before my henna. Or maybe after. What is better?

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
@HanaKuroi--I always trim after a henna or DC and super detangled. I use a *gasp!* fine tooth SEAMLESS comb to get out any clipped bits because I found they can get trapped in my little 'fro and create ssks. I then CW the next day to get out any stray bits the comb missed.

I took this advice from my neighbor who is a stylist and owns her own shop.

ETA: she also said its best to trim CLEAN hair with little to no product.

blackmaven

Anything Is Possible
Nonie,

Suggested I do a dusting,to get rid of ssk and split ends. She also sent some links to help me out. Nonie,your advice is appreciated.

greenandchic

I know which thread you're talking about, dyh080. I've been following Nonie's advice too when it comes to regular dusting. I never take off more than 1/4" each time, but my hair is so much healthier because of it. I just need to mark my calendars so that I won't over or under do it.

FoxxyLocs

I dust regularly also. I hate having rough, crunchy ends. I usually dust every 2-3 months, or whenever I feel like I need it.

Sent from my HTC Evo