NEED ADVICE PLEASE (Long)

SHOBROWN856

HI, everybody i've been a member for a couple of months now and have only posted maybe once or twice, but have learned alot from everyone here regarding hair care. However, I am having serious breakage issues, I think I always have had some sort of breakage and (no it's not shedding). Let me give you some hair history. I'm a 3b/c (I think)and ever since I got my first relaxer at about age 11 or 12 (I'm now 27) I have only relaxed my hair maybe once a hair rarely twice. Presently I have not had a relaxer in about a year and a half. I'm currently at middle of my brastrap length sometimes the bottom. I've been trying to take good care of my hair because I know I've been negligent in that area for a while. So I have been following some of the advice on the board and am trying to instill co washes and regularly moisturizing of my hair (something I use to neglect). Also airdrying I will only use a bonnet dryer once in a while no other heat, I also try to wear protective styles like buns or bantu knot twist outs or braid outs if i'm wearing it out. Anyway, I noticed the breakage so I decided to do a protein condition (CPR motions, Elasta Breakage Serum), I followed these with a moisturizing conditioner, yet everytime I use a product with protein in it (even mild protein) I seem to have a lot of breakage. So I did a co wash yesterday, put in leave in oiled and sealed my ends and put it in a bun. But, something tells me I'm still going to have breakage as a matter of fact I know I will. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong
I'm so tired of seeing long strands of hair all over the place I'd like to keep most of it on my head.

Hi ShoBrown

I am kind of new to posting as well! I think they will take care of us here

First, congrats on growing so much hair!!

I am sorry to hear about the breakage- where is the breakage located (sides, crown, back)? The only thing I can think of given your healthy hair practices is maybe the particular hairstyle is causing stress somewhere that is weakening the hair?

Also, this may sound a little contrary to good practices- but I have found that using a little heat sometimes (a couple of times a month), as opposed to airdrying, will cut down on breakage...

Good luck!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
After joining the forum, I saw putting my hair in a bun would be a good idea. But what may work for others may not work for me. When I took down the bun, my hair felt like it was going to have some breakage if I combed it. So you might not want to try styles you know will break your hair.

Also, try some Profectiv products. I use Profectiv oil sheen spray and its great. They have a lot of products for breakage and hair strengthening. You should check them out

SHOBROWN856

Thanks for your quick responses. I can't say where the breakage actually is I just notice alot of strands coming out especially on my hands when I add product and alot of little tiny hairs that have broken off like maybe from split ends. Do you think I should get a trim ( I'm not big on trims)basically because I don't want to do it myself, I don't trust salons to do it, my husband's afraid to do it. So once in awhile I'll try to do it. I'm also wondering If I should continue with the airdrying I use to use the blow dryer, but I could never get my hair really straight and airdrying is so convenient for me, but I wondering if this is a contributing factor to my breakage.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I tried the airdrying thing as well. I know all of our hair is different but my hair didnt work well with airdrying. My hair airdried good with rollers in it
but not in a ponytail or bun.
It felt more brittle than when I blowdried or dried under a hooded dryer. I know airdying and blowdrying can contribute to hair breakage. Do u use a comb attachment with your blowdryer. Have u considered rollersetting your hair and drying it under a hooded dryer?

MissMarie23

This may sound simple, but if the products you are using with protein are causing you breakage, then I would suggest discontinuing use of those products.

Also, is your hair breaking at the point that your relaxed hair meets the natural hair? The hair is very fragile at that point, so you have to be very careful when handling it (combing, styling, everything).

What products are you using for moisture? What leave-ins? Are you combing dry hair that has been air dried?

To figure out what is causing breakage, you may have to eliminate things one at a time OR go back to what you know works well for you, and introduce new things one at a time.

Good luck

SHOBROWN856

Yes, I've tried rollersetting and still do, It just tends to look like a hot mess after I'm done (my roots are always really frizzy and it just takes so long to do and I have to stay under the dryer for like two hours. As far as moisture I use hot six oil, parnevu T-Tree herbal grow, and wild growth oil. The other thing I've wondered about is how you ladies can get away with not coming your hair, even with a leavin/detangler and combing with conditioner my hair get tangled so easily and if I don't detangle with a wide tooth comb I have even more problems so how do you do this especially when wearing braidouts.

inthepink

Are you transitioning? Or are you planning to relax again?

I haven't had a relaxer for 13.5 months and I wash/condition my hair in sections. This keeps me tangle free. Otherwise, I use a really wide tooth comb if I want to comb my braidouts.

HTH

Falon

[ QUOTE ]
everytime I use a product with protein in it (even mild protein) I seem to have a lot of breakage. So I did a co wash yesterday, put in leave in oiled and sealed my ends and put it in a bun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you don't need as much protein as other hair types. You say you use a leave in...does it contain protein? If it does maybe that is the problem. Why don't you start by limiting protein use to conditioners that wash out. Maybe those CO washes aren't for you. I've seen posts from type 3's and some 4a's who say too much protein makes their hair brittle.

SHOBROWN856

Well, I am planning on relaxing again, but I would like my hair to reach a certain length and a measure of healthiness before doing so, but even when I do put the relaxer in I will still only get one about once a year. Also, I was wondering if I anyone could tell me if I would benefit from a cholesterol and hot oil treatments, since these aren't part of my current regimen.

SHOBROWN856

Ok ladies I've realized where the breakage is coming from-it is from the line between the relaxed hair and natural hair I have all these broken off little hairs through out my head which gives me that frizzy look at the roots when I do rollersets. So what can I do to remedy this other than starting all over, should I get a relaxer and start over in my transitioning and take better care of my hair I'm really at a lost here. Also my hair seems to hate any treatment other than an oil treatment. I just put wella in depth treatment in my hair which has no protien and which my hair use to love and I still got tons of stands. So it seems oil (moisture) and rinse out conditioners is all my hair can take right now. So if anyone can give me any advice on the breakage issue I'd be sooooooooooooo grateful