Underprocessed...( I Think:( )

honeycomb719

O.k. ladies, I made the switch today using Motions lye (mild) do the recommended time (9mins.)for my hair type, and my hair is not as straight as I thought it would be. My last relaxer was Nov. 8th, and that was with a no-lye relaxer, when I did that relaxer I applied the relaxer on my ends too, but just relaxed my roots this time. My hair came out looking like I did nothing to it, it's softer and I can get it to lay down in a ponytail, but my hair is all wavy. I let my friend put it in for me, she did pretty good, I made her a bit nervous because I was coaching her all the way through, she didn't really get a chance to smooth it because I told her the objective was to get the relaxer on my roots only and we was down to the last 3mins of relaxing time when she put the relaxer on my edges and then she smooth with the time remaining. I don't know much about lye relaxers, so I ask did I use the right strenght for my 4a hair or did I not leave it on long enough? If I did use the right strenght but didn't leave it on long enough does that mean I have a different hair type then I thought and does this mean my hair is underprocessed? If yes, do I have to wait 6-8weeks before I can relax again? I can notice about a full inch of new-growth, but don't want to measure because my roots are still wavy. I know some of you night think I should go to a salon, but I don't trust them, and my friends can't recommend any that care for your hair but, they can style good. I did an AphoGee treatment followed by a moisturizing condtioner for 20 mins, then a hot oil treatment for an hour. I had to blow dry my hair because if I did'nt my hair would have air dried into a puff. I didn't dry completly, then put some Profectiv breakfree, and coconut oil on the ends and tucked into 2 ponytails. Hair feels really soft, but wavy.
What Happened?

Guess?Girl

Honeycomb, I also tried Motions oil mild lye relaxer on my 4b hair. It came out the exact way your described your hair:soft, but not straight.I switched back to a no-lye relaxer:parnevu, and my hair came out silky and straight! I'm not sure if your hair is underprocessed, but from my experience, Motions isn't for everyone.

honeycomb719

I'm don't want to give up on the Motions yet GGirl, cause I just switch today. I think it's something I did wrong because I'm new to this type of relaxer, besides my experiences w/the no-lye relaxers causes dryness which I think was causing all my breakage, I never had a problem w/ the straightness I got from no-lye relaxers.

carmella25

I bought the motions regular relaxer and my hair came out the same way. I know that I wasnt suppose to do this but I re applied the relaxer on again the same day and did a deep conditioning treatment let it air dry and it was still wavy but a little more loose. So I just left it alone. I dont want it bone straight any way.

But the good thing is that I havent had any breakage from doing this. Ive been keeping alot of moisture in my hair and especially on my ends. I also wear protetive hair styles all of the time so I think that helped out alot.

free2bme

I use the motions moisturizing oil relaxer in mild and works great for me but that's b/c my hair is very fine. For coarser hair types the normal and super might be better choices. Generally this line of relaxers are very moisturizing and not as strong as your typical relaxer.

pebbles

Hi honeycomb719,

Many of the ladies here have tried the Motions and gotten similar results as you did. If you really want to stay with Motions, try another strength next time. But there are other lye relaxers you can try if that doesn't work. There's Optimum lye, Revlon, Mizani, Affirm, Design Essentials. They're really good and worth a try. Good luck! /images/graemlins/wave.gif (p.s. congratulations on switching to a lye relaxer. I did it back in november and it was the best thing for my hair. /images/graemlins/wink.gif)

honeycomb719

Thanx ladies for your replies /images/graemlins/smile.gif I looked high and low for the Affirm relaxer, but with no success, the only one I found in supply stores was the no-lye version. People was looking at me like I was crazy when I asked about Mizani. Maybe I wasn't pronoucing it right /images/graemlins/blush.gif I looked real hard at the Optimun(didnt' spell that right /images/graemlins/smirk.gif) but didn't hear anything about it. I know it's not good to put so much trust into what others say, but I thought Motins would be safe because I know people that use it and hair look Great!! I didn't want to go trying something I didn't know anthing about, that's why I was so leery about switching to a lye relaxer. How long do I have to wait before I can try this again?Iknow someone in this post said they reapplied it immediatly, but I want take those chances w/ my hair I would just die if I went back to square one w/ overprocessed hair. /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif

pebbles

Hi honeycomb,

You can find the Mizani relaxer online.
Mizani relaxer online
Everyone has different results with products. You just have to keep trying until you find what's right for you. Good Luck! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

pebbles

Hi honeycomb,

I forgot to add that the Mizani that's labled sensitive is a no-lye formula. Try the one that's labled mild for color treated hair or the medium strength. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kitkat

Honeycomb, like Pebbles said many women here (myself included) haven't had much luck with Motions relaxer. I'm 4a/4b. I used Motions Oil Moisturizing relaxer, or whatever it's called. After 2 or 3 weeks, it looked like I had six or eight weeks of new growth, like I never relaxed at all. If you do a search here you'll notice that Motions relaxer yielded similar results for many of us '4s' . Affirm is a pain in the neck to find, and when you do find it it's primarily no lye. The lye version is only sold in the 4 pound tub. Anything else will be no lye. And as far as Mizani goes - well, let's just say it's easier to find Affirm in beauty supply stores than it is to find Mizani. Most good salons have Affirm and Mizani, but if you're trying to do it yourself, it pays to start looking weeks ahead. Good luck!

SexyGyrlNY

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Kitkat said:
as far as Mizani goes - well, let's just say it's easier to find Affirm in beauty supply stores than it is to find Mizani.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the JCPenny hair salons carry the whole line of Mizani products.

And for those who live in NYC (Queens), there is a huge beauty supply store (sorry, I can't remember the name)on Jamaica Ave. that carries Affirm lye relaxers for about $6.

azul11

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif i checked that site for the affirm and the lowest size they had was the 4lb but it was almost the price i pay to get a touch up!!!! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif i know its 4lbs but that is still a lot of money especially if i am not even sure if i will even like this relaxer. would hate to have 4lbs of the stuff if i dont like it. God bless you all.

beana3

And for those who live in NYC (Queens), there is a huge beauty supply store (sorry, I can't remember the name)on
Jamaica Ave. that carries Affirm lye relaxers for about $6.

Sexygirl WHERE on JA ave???? going towarsd the last VIM store or what? Are you sure it was the lye version?? Pleasee tell us more...

Nikki

I experienced the same thing with my hair...Using the same exact product, It turned me off from motions Until i tried the cpr 4 days ago... I went back to using PCJ for Kids until I found a relaxer that would give great reliable results and switched to Mizani... That's a keeper for me..

Nikki

pebbles said:
Hi honeycomb,

You can find the Mizani relaxer online.
Mizani
relaxer online

Everyone has different results with products. You just have to keep trying until you find what's right for you. Good Luck! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh heck NO, I paid 12.99 for my 8 oz moisterfuse... I feel so ripped off, they think we're rich over here

SweetNic_JA

And for those who live in NYC (Queens), there is a huge beauty supply store (sorry, I can't remember the name)on
Jamaica Ave. that carries Affirm lye relaxers for about $6.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be in queens on Friday. I'm hoping that you can remember the name by then ???
/images/graemlins/ohwell.gif