How do I rollerset Faster!!!! Rollersetters help.

blackberry815

I feel like it takes me forever to rollerset.. I have bsl length hair and It takes me about an hour and a half to set it on grey rollers. I just ordered the pibbs and I'm hoping that will cut back some time... but the actual setting process takes me forever.. I use lacio lacio and silken childs leave in detangler and the aphogee green tea, I part the sections and start rollersetting. I dont know why it still takes me so long I've been rollersetting for three months now and I don't know why its still such a long process. Does anyone have any tips on how to speed it up?!. Oh and I do the mohawk method, the ponytail method doesn't look appealing to me. Help, I'm starting to dread wash days because I watch 5-6 hours pass me by between washing and drying.:perplexed

(ETA I posted this question already but I think I put it in the wrong place... I'm a newbie)

Solitude

I noticed that it does take longer for me to rollerset my hair the longer it gets...usually about 30-40 minutes and my hair is APL. I also set it on gray rollers.

I noticed that I can set my hair faster if I use a serum, or an oil with cones - so, if you're not opposed to products with cones, you can try that.

I shampoo/DC, and with my hair soaking wet (no towel-drying), I apply a creamy leave-in and a serum. I also re-wet each section before I work on it. If I don't have enough slip, I add a little more serum. My favorites are Sally's brand Argan oil and Chi Silk Infusion. I like foam setting lotion, but I usually only use that alone when I've recently had a relaxer.

I also part with the tail of a rattail comb and detangle each section with the same comb.

danysedai

lol at above, it's true
I'm at APL now (have to update siggy picture) and it takes me 20-25 minutes to rollerset.
What helps me is:
-detangle throughly with my wide tooth comb
- have a visual of how many rollers in each section (mohawk with gray rollers all the way to the crown,3 purple rollers on each side rollersetting UP, then I fill the sections between crown and nape on the sides, all of this UP).
-spray each section and detangle again with my fine tooth comb making sure hair is really wet and that ends are smooth on the roller so you don't end with wrinkly ends.
-Use the macherie technique or roll, tug, roll, tug all the way to the scalp.
-I switched to the metal hair clips mskibibi recommended and they have made a world of difference as there is no space btwn rollers.

That's it, and i know it's kind of lame to say it but practice will make it better. If you have been doing it for some months now and you have noticed that it is taking you too long and you know that other people do it in less time, then evaluate your steps to see where you are wasting time.

blackberry815

HaHa I will try moving my hands a little faster... I watch Alraines videos she makes it look so easy.. my hair is something to detangle... That could be where I waste the most time.. Trying to detangle and Part the sections so that I'm not ripping my hair out. My hair is relaxed bone straight so I feel like it should be a breeze to detangle and part but its not. Even when I wash in sections. Maybe I'm just trying to be too careful not to break the hairs and that could be why I take so long.. I also find that rollersetting up takes me longer, especially on the sides. Thanks for your responses, I appreciate the tips

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
woo, girl. i totally sympathize. but nothing has really helped besides practice. i get better at it every time i do it.

blackberry815

Yea ur probably right...I'm sure it gets better.... I should also add that I'm about 5 weeks post and my last relaxer was very underprocessed.. Do you ladies rollerset when you're stretching?

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Practice and roller setting on damp/almost dry hair helps me. I saturate the roller and ends before rolling. Also rolling up

Sent from my Zio using Long Hair Care Forum App

Charz

Sinister Minister
But seriously it takes me an hour to rollerset my natural hair. It takes me 90 minutes to dry under my pibbs. Considering that it takes me 3 hours to twist my hair I think that an 1 to rollerset is pretty good.

blackberry815

Practice and roller setting on damp/almost dry hair helps me. I saturate the roller and ends before rolling. Also rolling up

That sounds like a good idea too. Do u respray each section so that its wet as you roll that section or do you just roll it up damp with the wet roller. I only ask because most threads I've read said that the hair has to be soaking wet to come out the best... And I take it you apply your leave-ins before you air dry? Also with that method how long would you say it takes you to set your whole head? Thanks again

SimJam

Seriously, though I suck at roller setting, even when I was relaxed.

but I twist pretty fast.

AfroKink

But seriously it takes me an hour to rollerset my natural hair. It takes me 90 minutes to dry under my pibbs. Considering that it takes me 3 hours to twist my hair I think that an 1 to rollerset is pretty good.

Thats a good point. Takes me an hour and a half and my goal for the year is to roll in under 45 mins! I'll be washing and rolling later tonight!

pattyr5

I'm APL and was in the same boat!!! The only thing that helps me out at all is keeping the hair super wet and pre-parting all the sections and clipping them out of the way. Without doing that I am spending way too much time with trying to keep the hair from falling of the sides of the roller and mistakenly tugging on hair thats already rolled up when I part. Also I do the middle section first and then the two sides closest to the middle because those were always hard to squeeze in.

blackberry815

I'm APL and was in the same boat!!! The only thing that helps me out at all is keeping the hair super wet and pre-parting all the sections and clipping them out of the way. Without doing that I am spending way too much time with trying to keep the hair from falling of the sides of the roller and mistakenly tugging on hair thats already rolled up when I part. Also I do the middle section first and then the two sides closest to the middle because those were always hard to squeeze in.

Oooh that is good I'm gonna try doing the middle section then moving right to the back sides because ur right about it being hard to squeeze those in.... it is annoying doing that part after u do the front sides.

pattyr5

Oooh that is good I'm gonna try doing the middle section then moving right to the back sides because ur right about it being hard to squeeze those in.... it is annoying doing that part after u do the front sides.

Yeah, my arms get tired...I get frustrated and those rollers would ALWAYS end up jacked up and loose :lachen:

blackberry815

lol at above, it's true
I'm at APL now (have to update siggy picture) and it takes me 20-25 minutes to rollerset.
What helps me is:
-detangle throughly with my wide tooth comb
- have a visual of how many rollers in each section (mohawk with gray rollers all the way to the crown,3 purple rollers on each side rollersetting UP, then I fill the sections between crown and nape on the sides, all of this UP).
-spray each section and detangle again with my fine tooth comb making sure hair is really wet and that ends are smooth on the roller so you don't end with wrinkly ends.
-Use the macherie technique or roll, tug, roll, tug all the way to the scalp.
-I switched to the metal hair clips mskibibi recommended and they have made a world of difference as there is no space btwn rollers.

That's it, and i know it's kind of lame to say it but practice will make it better. If you have been doing it for some months now and you have noticed that it is taking you too long and you know that other people do it in less time, then evaluate your steps to see where you are wasting time.

How is the Marcherie dvd do you think it's any different from the youtube videos out there that are free? what does she do differently?

NYDee

I did not find Marcherie dvd helpful. Maybe it was at the time she made it but in 2010 with all the videos on youtube I felt I wasted my money, I was expecting more. She also didn't explain why she did some of the things she did. The quality of the video wasn't that good either.

If you already get good result with your rollerset and your only worry is time then you just need practice and maybe new technique so watching how others on youtube do it might help.

How is the Marcherie dvd do you think it's any different from the youtube videos out there that are free? what does she do differently?

Last edited:

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I saturate the ends and roller right b4 putting each roller on, the rest of my length is damp. The slight tension helps with smoothness. Yes I apply my leavins when halfway dry, it takes 30 minutes to roll. I started doing this because I was moving too slow on soaking wet hair trying to be extra careful.
That sounds like a good idea too. Do u respray each section so that its wet as you roll that section or do you just roll it up damp with the wet roller. I only ask because most threads I've read said that the hair has to be soaking wet to come out the best... And I take it you apply your leave-ins before you air dry? Also with that method how long would you say it takes you to set your whole head? Thanks again

MsKibibi

The biggest time saver for me is parting my hair in the sections that I will use to rollerset before I wash my hair. I then braid those sections together and wash in the braids. Since I'm texlaxed my hair tends to tangle more easily than when I was relaxed bone straight. So its easier to manipulate my hair when dry than when wet. It takes more time on the front end but it still ends up going faster b/c of the time saved detangling on the back end. I did a video tutorial that might be helpful YouTube - mskibibi's Channel

blackberry815

The biggest time saver for me is parting my hair in the sections that I will use to rollerset before I wash my hair. I then braid those sections together and wash in the braids. Since I'm texlaxed my hair tends to tangle more easily than when I was relaxed bone straight. So its easier to manipulate my hair when dry than when wet. It takes more time on the front end but it still ends up going faster b/c of the time saved detangling on the back end. I did a video tutorial that might be helpful YouTube - mskibibi's Channel

Mskibibi Guurrrrl I've been subscribed to your youtube channel way before I knew about a Long Hair Care Forum.. haha I've seen all your videos! I've washed in braids but since I'm relaxed bone straight and I'm afraid to use rubberbands on the ends the braids come apart in the shower....:ohwell:

Lovelylocs

Yea ur probably right...I'm sure it gets better.... I should also add that I'm about 5 weeks post and my last relaxer was very underprocessed.. Do you ladies rollerset when you're stretching?
That definitely doesn't help. It goes by fastest when your hair is not tangled.

civic4800

Mskibibi Guurrrrl I've been subscribed to your youtube channel way before I knew about a Long Hair Care Forum.. haha I've seen all your videos! I've washed in braids but since I'm relaxed bone straight and I'm afraid to use rubberbands on the ends the braids come apart in the shower....:ohwell:

Instead of rubber bands, could you use little girl barrettes on the ends? It takes me an hour to rollerset and I'm looking to cut that time down and am going to try MsKibibi's method using tiny, plastic barrettes.

Lita

What helps me is keeping a spray bottle/serum on hand & it seem to go a little quicker..
Hope this HELPS!

Happy Hair Growing!