3 Months of Protective Styles - A Thread Revived

nakialovesshoes

This is the link to the original thread/challenge: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=322481

I don't want this to get too complicated because as the poster I don't have time to take names or keep up with who's participating & who's not. So this really isn't an official challenge.

All I ask is, if you decide to be a part of this, that you try & post one picture per week of a protective style that you are wearing. The (unofficial) challenge can start Monday, July 5 & run through Sunday, October 3.

Also, if you would like to, it would be nice to give some of your resources as it pertains to protective styles: i.e. your favorite YT tutorials, your favorite online/IRL hair candy retailers, etc.

It would also be nice if we posted before & after pics so that we can see the progress made from 3 months of hiding our hair but it's not mandatory.

If we can keep this thread alive for the next 3 months, maybe we can take 2 weeks off & start up again mid-October. I'll come back & post my 1st pic on Monday.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
WOW, RIGHT ON TIME! as you can see in my siggy, that i already started and set my dates LOL, got my bun already READY. I have about 50 different flowers to go with them. THANKS OP!

nakialovesshoes

^^I've been eyeing that bun - don't you want to do a YT tutorial for the style challenged. You have really long hair - I have some YT faves that I think you'll like if you aren't already subscribed.

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
subbing and participating. I really loved the old thread.
I don't have any before pictures with it straight and curly it shrinks so much. I am MBL still but closing in on WL. My protective style this week is my spin pin buns (siggie). I"ll post more when we start on Monday.

CrissieD

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.
Obviously I will be joining. I guess I can allow myself a few days of w & g until then ;)
Ignore the rolls. Thats a whole different challenge :grin:

Attachments

• 6.30.10 Curly.jpg
    6.30.10 Curly.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 6.18.10 Str8.jpg
    6.18.10 Str8.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 57

nakialovesshoes

Before I forget, Wavezncurlz, your siggy pics make me want to touch the screen. Your hair looks so soft & luxurious. :drunk:

Here's a length shot I took a few days ago. My hopes is that after a trim (& maybe a touch-up on my curl if I don't decide to transition - but that's a whole 'nother topic), I will be full MBL at the end of this 3 month stint.

This is the bun I have in today. Some call it the Southern Tease Bun. Here's a link to a YT tutorial for it. I have my ends in a black baggy, moisturized with S-Curl. Sorry about the pic quality. DH has the camera & I had to use my Blackberry.

IMG00107-20100628-1158.jpg

IMG00109-20100701-1120.jpg

SouthernBeauty

Count me in!!! I need to do more protective styling bc I think these wash n gos are not helping my progress!!

Attachments

• 8a05e2f3.jpg
    8a05e2f3.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Picture0010.jpg
    Picture0010.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 4263bf72.jpg
    4263bf72.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 19

nakialovesshoes

Today's bun:

YT Bun.jpg

I just pulled it back into a pony. Then I took another elastic and placed it at the end of my pony. I took the end of the pony & folded it under for a mini bob look. Not the greatest but it served its purpose.

lilsparkle825

Awesome thread.

You already know I'm trying to be in the same PS (this sew-in) till the end of September, but I need ideas for after it comes out.

Stalk mode activated :look:

sunshinegirl502

wavezncurlz, your hair is so gorgeous. I'm working on MBL. :)
Nakialovesshoes, thanks so much for the challenge. I look forward to it.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
i'm in for the wrong reasons....ACNE. oh yeah, it would be awesome to have my hair grow too. but for now, this face has gots'ta get under control.

i definitely need some good, visual (YT tutorials) ideas on how to keep from getting damaged hair from PS for 3 months. since i lack creativity, the same styles will be used, thus placing strain in the same areas which is not good.

thehairmaverick

i'm in for the wrong reasons....ACNE. oh yeah, it would be awesome to have my hair grow too. but for now, this face has gots'ta get under control.
i definitely need some good, visual (YT tutorials) ideas on how to keep from getting damaged hair from PS for 3 months. since i lack creativity, the same styles will be used, thus placing strain in the same areas which is not good.

Girl I've been there before! I completely understand, that's one reason why I will be in twists or braid extensions for a while...

I'm in! :yep:

Last edited:

grow

great thread! the ps's have helped my hair tremendously and with the summer heat, i think it's the best way to style and grow at the same time! so yes, please count me in!

here's a starting picture of a baggy bun style i like doing with big flowers!
like AdoraAdora24, i have dozens and dozens because the fitst thing i did when i figured out these styles work, was go get tools to make them look nice, too!

i'll post other pics as i take them.

hhg ladies!

nakialovesshoes

Here are some that I have favorited:
So that's it for now. If you go to youtube, you can search "updos", "buns", "protective hairstyles", etc. Please as you find good tutorials, share.

Miss AJ

Perfect timing! I JUST decided that after my 4th of July fro I was gonna PS for the remainder of the year. I had to do some maintenance and now I'm back to full NL hoping for full SL at the end of the year. I actually have some pics so here we go:

This is my Independence Day picked out, slightly pulled back afro:4july.jpg

This is the set of twists I did this morning, flat twists with bantu knotted ends and 2 strands in the back:
pschallenge1.jpg

And I'll be back to post my flat ironed hair as soon as Sprint stops being retarded.

Miss AJ

I tried to edit my previous post but i guess im not smarter than the board lol. Here's my flat ironed hair combed back and with a headband:
pschallenge2.jpg

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
thanks everyone for the compliments.
Nakia - your styles are so creative. I'm going to have to steal!LOL

Here's my style this week:

Last edited:

nakialovesshoes

^^Directions, please WNC, I want to copy this one. I'm going to try & remember to take a pic of the one I have today.

Maybe when we post our buns, we could give a very brief tutorial for those that may be interested in copying our style, if y'all don't mind. If you do mind, please just post anyway & we'll try & figure it out. I don't want anyone to not post b/c I'm asking too much.

LaidBak

I'm glad this idea was revived. I have been rocking a fake bun all summer. I only take my hair down on the weekends (sometimes).

Attachments

• Bun.jpg
    Bun.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 19

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
^^Directions, please WNC, I want to copy this one. I'm going to try & remember to take a pic of the one I have today.

Maybe when we post our buns, we could give a very brief tutorial for those that may be interested in copying our style, if y'all don't mind. If you do mind, please just post anyway & we'll try & figure it out. I don't want anyone to not post b/c I'm asking too much.

Ok - Good idea! This one is easy
Make a ponytail on side or in back of your head (kinda low). Separate your ponytail into two sections and make two twists. Flip the twists up and pin with a clip. I've also done the same thing with more twists (like 4-6 smaller ones in one ponytail) and a different clippie:

my