Cathy Howse 365 Days Challenge 2010-2011

my-everything

Ladies, after digging up old threads on Cathy Howse, i've realized that the system and the results from using her methods are beyond inspiring!!:yep::yep:

I'm tired of jumping from one regimen to another:wallbash::wallbash:. Although i have no problems retaining length, I really need to just stick to one solid regimen that clearly works.

Being consistent has been a key factor in achieving gorgeous, thick and long tresses for many long haired ladies. Natural or Relaxed:grin::grin:

The Rules (taken from the hairlista group):

1. Wash your hair 2 times a week with acid ph balance shampoo/moisturizing shampoo/sulfate free shampoo (This is optional..personally, i only shampoo when needed)

2. Apply UBH protein deep conditioner or any of your favorite protein conditioner once a week or every other week or you can use cathy howse's recipe:
16 oz of reconstructor or protein conditioner (please ensure that mineral oil is NOT an ingredient)
8 ounces of olive oil
4 ounces of coconut oil
1 teaspoon of peppermint oil

(You can alternate between your moisture DC and your protein one)
MUST USE 'HEAT' (i.e. DC with a plastic cap overnight etc) OR YOUR WASTING YOUR MONEY ON DC PRODUCTS!
make sure you follow with moisturizing conditioner after this for 15 mins :)

3. NEVER let your hair dry without any leave ins.

4. Limit blow dryer with cool button or no blow dryer

5. NO HAIR BRUSHES!!!!

6. Moisturize your hair with UHB creme moisturizer or dew moisturizer spray 2 or 3 times a day OR use your own moisturizer and oil to seal 2 times a day whatever you prefer :)

7. Comb only on wash days

8. Stretch your relaxers (try up to 10 weeks or more)

10. limit your direct heat to 1 or 2x a month

11. You can buy her books but I dont think it is necessary since we have this site anyway so save your money.

I will not be using her products but just her techniques instead!!

If you're tired of being stuck at one length or you're regimen challenged,

THIS CHALLENGE IS FOR YOU :cowgirl: :cowgirl: :cowgirl:

START DATE: 1ST JULY 2010- 1ST jULY 2011

Last edited:

Chameleonchick

I just reimplemented some of her techniques like the no brushing and using a protein conditioner. I am lazy with mixing now so I bought the Cabellina del Caballo conditioner it has olive oil and coconut you just have to add the peppermint.

ladysaraii

I'm kinda doing something like this now

1. Wash hair w/ sulfate-free shampoo
2. I'm adding OCT back in my routine so that will my protein
3. Condition (at least 1 wash I DC)
4. Moisturize and seal
5. Put in 2 french braids and let airdry

No heat, no brush, no trimming

I'm doing this 2-3 times a week and my hair seems to like this regimen

my-everything

I'm kinda doing something like this now

1. Wash hair w/ sulfate-free shampoo
2. I'm adding OCT back in my routine so that will my protein
3. Condition (at least 1 wash I DC)
4. Moisturize and seal
5. Put in 2 french braids and let airdry

No heat, no brush, no trimming

I'm doing this 2-3 times a week and my hair seems to like this regimen

Sounds like the perfect regimen for healthy and long hair!!:lick: Do you have a hair goal in mind???

lolascurls

This sounds good as it's what I'm mainly doing. No shampooing though!
Co-washing and Deep conditioning all the way.
I have a no-comb regimen right now! Finger detangle only.
Gonna see what we get!

my-everything

^^^ ITA, i don't think shampooing at every wash is neccessary, so i won't be doing it!!

I'm hoping this regimen will help me reach full BSB by Dec (Shortest layer is currently Apl). As for my longest layer, at least MBL!!!

ladysaraii

I should probably add a short term goal. I would like to be full APL by december.

So aside from any signs that I'm doing something wrong, this will be the regimen I'm sticking to (no more add products either) so i can really give the regimen a chance

Duchesse

Are you sure the recipe calls for 2 tspns of peppermint oil? That sounds quite potent. Otherwise, that sounds like a good technique.

Can you explain number 11 on the list? Does it mean use protective styles without braids or weave or no protective styles at all?

This challenge is definately for me. Thanks for posting.

Last edited:

my-everything

Can you explain number 11 on the list? Does it mean use protective styles without braids or weave or no protective styles at all?

Hi!! Cathy Howse believes that we don't have to wear protective styles 24/7 in order to grow our hair out.

However, protective styling has made it easier for many to reach their goals, including myself so it's best to use whatever style that has been working for you:yep::yep:

Prayin4FullWL2012

I want to be in this one. because I know her stuff works and my 1 year transtion will be over in October I'll just go for another year. BY the end of this challenge I want to be full MBL that is after I clip or do my dusting. For a year supply of her conditioner wouldnt that be like 3 or 4 bottles? when I started her reggie I didn't want to use her stuff either but ohh when I did I went from CBL on Oct 24, 2008. then on Nov 28, 2008 I went to SL then on May 16, 2009 I made it to APL. Then I just stopped taking care of my hair for a little while. So now I have to get back on it and the whole thing about it is I only used her dew spray and her DC that's it. here is my fotki if anybody wanna check it out.
www.public.fotki.com/Computer-Love-Queen/

my-everything

^^^you're making excellent progress!:yep::yep:

You'll definitely reach MBL by next year, if not sooner:grin::grin: At least you know what works so it's all about staying consistent now!!

Nonie

Hi!! Cathy Howse believes that we don't have to wear protective styles 24/7 in order to grow our hair out.

However, protective styling has made it easier for many to reach their goals, including myself so it's best to use whatever style that has been working for you:yep::yep:

I remember that and also her frowning on trimming, and I can't forget how bad her ends looked compared to people I looked up to like Supergirl, Wanakee or even the lady who first introduced me to my hair regimen, Brenda, before I ever knew of this forum of good haircare.

LadyPBC

Is this challenge for naturals and relaxed heads? I'm natural and can't figure out how to moisturize my hair everyday without losing my style (don't judge me:blush: - LOL).

What is UBH conditioner? Why would she suggest you not use a protective style?

I do most of this anyway I guess. What is the anticipated outcome?

I'll join :yep:. I'm not good at challenges though.:nono:

my-everything

^^^ IA her ends look terribly thin but i did a lot of research and clearly the people that use her techniques have beautiful hair!! These are the results that have inspired me to start this challenge:

http://members.fotki.com/BabygurlNC/about/

http://members.fotki.com/mcelweep/about/

http://public.fotki.com/Jordan2009/~pictures-taken-on-/lisahair002.html

Ladies, you don't have to follow every single rule, but it would be great to stay on track so you can at least know what works or what doesn't!!

my-everything

Is this challenge for naturals and relaxed heads? I'm natural and can't figure out how to moisturize my hair everyday without losing my style (don't judge me:blush: - LOL).

What is UBH conditioner? Why would she suggest you not use a protective style?

I do most of this anyway I guess. What is the anticipated outcome?

I'll join :yep:. I'm not good at challenges though.:nono:

Welcome!! This challenge is for both Naturals AND Relaxed heads.

Do you wear puffs or twists???don't worry as long you can find a way to moisturize as frequently as possible, there shouldn't be any problems:yep::yep:.

Check out her line of products:

http://www.ubhpublications.com/

Cathy's suggests protective styles are not necessary. She also says you should be able to style your hair however you want and still retain length.

What is the anticipated outcome?

We should try to retain at least 5-6 inches like she suggests!! Even if you don't retain that much, as long as your hair is as healthy as can be:grin::grin:

Try to set a personal goal so you can go by your own expectations which should help to motivate you!!

Nonie

^^^ IA her ends look terribly thin but i did a lot of research and clearly the people that use her techniques have beautiful hair!! These are the results that have inspired me to start this challenge:

http://members.fotki.com/BabygurlNC/about/

http://members.fotki.com/mcelweep/about/

http://public.fotki.com/Jordan2009/~pictures-taken-on-/lisahair002.html

Ladies, you don't have to follow every single rule, but it would be great to stay on track so you can at least know what works or what doesn't!!

Oh I don't doubt her methods work. Lawd knows she taught me about DCing and while before I just washed my hair whenever it felt dry, it might've been her regimen that led me to lock it at twice a week. It was also she that got me to fall in love with reconstructors (protein + moisture) instead of pure protein. Except for the discouragement to trim or PS, I don't see anything wrong with her regimen. Your hair will grow, I just think ends would look so much better if she didn't leave those two useful practices out.

twinkletoes17

Count me in! I was about to pm you to start a challenge lol. I had amazing results last time. I hope that's the same case second time around :think:

Last edited:

my-everything

Oh I don't doubt her methods work. Lawd knows she taught me about DCing and while before I just washed my hair whenever it felt dry, it might've been her regimen that led me to lock it at twice a week. It was also she that got me to fall in love with reconstructors (protein + moisture) instead of pure protein. Except for the discouragement to trim or PS, I don't see anything wrong with her regimen. Your hair will grow, I just think ends would look so much better if she didn't leave those two useful practices out.

:yep::yep::yep:...I will definitely take out both rules!!! This challenge is to help anyone who is intesrested in growing long AND healthy hair and you are totally right, these rules are not good in terms of what we're trying to achieve. Thanks for the info:grin::grin:

lovelexi

soooo cathy howse says that i can wear my hair out and straight every day and still retain length? hmmm....

janda

Sounds intriguing. Since you are not planning on using her products, could you give an example regimen following her rules- ex. are all sulfate-free shampoos pH balanced (I'm new)? Are you mixing your protein and moisturizing DC's and doing one DC? Curious?

twinkletoes17

I'm interested in that too. I remember having breakage but still retaining length. I'm not sure if that's from too much protein or not protective styling lol (I was flat ironing weekly at the time).

lovelexi

:lachen:I don't recommend it, I even deleted this rule!! Protective styles don't work for everybody but they work for most:grin::grin:
Well im in the "most people" category. i loved wearing my hair straight, showed off the little length I had but that obviously didnt get me anywhere. so im better off with low manipulation and protective styles. :yep:

NIN4eva

"MUST USE HEAT OR YOUR WASTING YOUR MONEY ON DC PRODUCTS!"

I assume that the above quote means electric heat from a dryer must be used but this is not entirely true. I DC overnight with plastic wrap because my dryer died. I have the same results as I would sitting under a hot dryer for an hour, if not better. I also DC for a couple of hours under a shower cap without heat with great results. No one needs to go out and buy a dryer to use high end DC products.

my-everything

Sounds intriguing. Since you are not planning on using her products, could you give an example regimen following her rules- ex. are all sulfate-free shampoos pH balanced (I'm new)? Are you mixing your protein and moisturizing DC's and doing one DC? Curious?

Welcome!!The regimen simply includes:

-washing your hair every 3 days

-Deep conditioning after every wash

-Doing a protein treatment at least twice a month to balance with extra moisture

-mositurizing twice daily (i prefer once a day)

-No heat (i.e blow dryers..but if absolutely neccessary, try to limit them)

-I will be protective styling and trimming when neccessary:grin:

I don't know much about ph balance but I use all natural products anyway so I don't stress over that too much!! I believe there's a thread on this so look out for it:yep::yep:

my-everything

"MUST USE HEAT OR YOUR WASTING YOUR MONEY ON DC PRODUCTS!"

I assume that the above quote means electric heat from a dryer must be used but this is not entirely true. I DC overnight with plastic wrap because my dryer died. I have the same results as I would sitting under a hot dryer for an hour, if not better. I also DC for a couple of hours under a shower cap without heat with great results. No one needs to go out and buy a dryer to use high end DC products.

hi!! not at all, you can DC however you want, as long as some type of 'heat' is used for the product to penetrate better, whether it's body heat or sitting under a heating cap.....:yep::yep: