Cathy Howse 365 Days Challenge 2010-2011

Are you sure the recipe calls for 2 tspns of peppermint oil? That sounds quite potent. Otherwise, that sounds like a good technique.

uuummm, I believe this is a recipe straight from her book...i found it on the bhm challenge and the OP listed the ingredients etc.

Well im in the "most people" category. i loved wearing my hair straight, showed off the little length I had but that obviously didnt get me anywhere. so im better off with low manipulation and protective styles. :yep:

I try to do half and half:yep: I have no problems retaining but i can't keep my hands out of my hair:lachen:That will be the real challenge for me:wallbash::wallbash:

I followed her regimen while relaxed and had great results. I am in! I don't know about shampooing though. I know she suggest to shampoo like every 3 days. I have this book somewhere though but I am in.

I'm in! I usually moisturize once a day, but I'll make the effort to do it in the morning and at night. The only other thing I might have trouble with on the list is no brushing but I'll manage.

Does a toothbrush count as brushing lol, cause I might want my edges to kinda swoop sometimes versus going straight back.

Hi!! Cathy Howse believes that we don't have to wear protective styles 24/7 in order to grow our hair out.

However, protective styling has made it easier for many to reach their goals, including myself so it's best to use whatever style that has been working for you:yep::yep:

I am soooo in!! I love my hair out so ^this^ I am truly excited about. I am already following this regimen somewhat, just have to add or change a few things around. For starters, I don't think I will be using shampoo twice a week but instead for my second wash, just do a conditioner wash. The protein conditioner is the step that I was already planning on adding to my regimen. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a protein deep conditioner? Do any of my preferred lines carry them (Design Essentials, Jane Carter, Miss Jessie's or Hydratherma Naturals)? And lastly, I will be continuing my trims until all of my relaxed ends are gone but then cease on all trims after that and I will have to get on the boat of moisturizing TWICE a day instead of once. I am too excited. I will post starting pics tomorrow after I do my co-wash this evening.

Thanks for starting this challenge!!

I am soooo in!! I love my hair out so ^this^ I am truly excited about. I am already following this regimen somewhat, just have to add or change a few things around. For starters, I don't think I will be using shampoo twice a week but instead for my second wash, just do a conditioner wash. The protein conditioner is the step that I was already planning on adding to my regimen. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a protein deep conditioner? Do any of my preferred lines carry them (Design Essentials, Jane Carter, Miss Jessie's or Hydratherma Naturals)? And lastly, I will be continuing my trims until all of my relaxed ends are gone but then cease on all trims after that and I will have to get on the boat of moisturizing TWICE a day instead of once. I am too excited. I will post starting pics tomorrow after I do my co-wash this evening.

Thanks for starting this challenge!!

Hey girl!! Miss Jessie's Rapid Recovery is a protein conditioner as well as Hydratherma's Amino Plus, Protein Deep Conditioning Treatment.

I'm in. I can't say enough about her regimen AND her books. They, to me, are the Bibles of black hair care. Simple and to the point.

I am now Healthy haired, but looking for LENGTH. When I veer to far from her regimen, I get set back. I use her Deep Conditioner less now, because now that my hair is in good conditione sometimes it makes my hair protein loaded, but I will never, ever, ever, not have her Lotion Creme Moisturizer on my shelf. I can use other stuff, but LCM is fantastic for me.

I really, really want BSL. I've changed my long-erm goal which used to be MBL. I changed it because my torso is so long, that BSL on me will look like MBL. On me MBL is only about 2 inches from BSL and then WL is only 1 inch more. I know, it sounds crazy, but my shoulder blades are reallyyyyy long and my neck is really long. That is why this length thing is taking so long.

One other goal of mine is getting weaved checked. I really WANT to get weave-checked. That is when I'll know my hair is "long".

Thanks for listening.

When does the 365 days start?

Count me in as well. I think this challenge along with the 2 other challenges I'm in will definitely make my hair thrive!

Quick question, does this include Denman brushes? I was going to try to start using this as my detangler on wash days.

Any regular brush, i.e. the ones commonly used on dry hair i suppose..I have used the denman myself but chose to finger detangle because it really does thoroughly detangle.

However, you can use it but definitely not on dry hair:nono::nono:

I really, really want BSL. I've changed my long-erm goal which used to be MBL. I changed it because my torso is so long, that BSL on me will look like MBL. On me MBL is only about 2 inches from BSL and then WL is only 1 inch more. I know, it sounds crazy, but my shoulder blades are reallyyyyy long and my neck is really long. That is why this length thing is taking so long.

One other goal of mine is getting weaved checked. I really WANT to get weave-checked. That is when I'll know my hair is "long".

Thanks for listening.

When does the 365 days start?

wow your measurements are almost identical to mine, i'm surprised my shortest layer is actually at apl :lachen::lachen:

It would be perfect to get started tomorow, 1st July, we're exactly half way through the year but of course you can start anytime next week:yep:

Count me in. As of right now I am not doing much to my hair other than washing and braiding it back because of frequent washings ( bc of sweat from workouts). I'm in.

I'm down for the challenge :yep:

I'll be cutting my hair off (split ends... sigh) and following her method for a year.

I'm going to post pictures this weekend since I finally get a break from work (4 whole days :yep:).

This is what me and most of the ladies here on lhcf have been doing already, cathy howse aint saying nothing new that hasnt already been said. :look:

but she is making money so, I THINK all the WL and HL ladies here should also sell their regimen. :yep:

but great thread op, for those that DONT know these things already.

Count me in!! I need to find something to make my hair grow and get out of this slow growth pattern that it is...

I already do some of it anyway so it wont be anything new that I'll be really changing. But I do need to learn how and when to use protein or moisture conditioning to my hair.

This is what me and most of the ladies here on lhcf have been doing already, cathy howse aint saying nothing new that hasnt already been said. :look:

but she is making money so, I THINK all the WL and HL ladies here should also sell their regimen. :yep:

:yep::yep:This is absolutely true. From my understanding though, Cathy Howse's information, advice and techniques came about 'before' hair forums such as lhcf were popular or even around!!

I'm hoping these techniques can help at least a few people, we all know haircare can be very frustrating so this could be a good place to start.

I'm only a few inches away from wsl (longest layer) but i really need to sit myself down and stay consistent, at least until i've reached most of my goals.:look:

I LOVE YOUR HAIR btw:lick::lick::lick:

JOOIINNIINNNGGG, ive just had a massive trim so im hoping for 2 inch by decemeber and 6 by next ur, this seems like a great routine for me :)

I'm joining too. I have been following this regimen for 6 months with great results already. I do protective style and trim though. I use her DC and moisturizers (Dew & Creme) daily. I have her book and agree with most of her practices!

:yep::yep:This is absolutely true. From my understanding though, Cathy Howse's information, advice and techniques came about 'before' hair forums such as lhcf were popular or even around!!

I'm hoping these techniques can help at least a few people, we all know haircare can be very frustrating so this could be a good place to start.

I'm only a few inches away from wsl (longest layer) but i really need to sit myself down and stay consistent, at least until i've reached most of my goals.:look:

I LOVE YOUR HAIR btw:lick::lick::lick:

thanks alot!!!

Quick question, does this include Denman brushes? I was going to try to start using this as my detangler on wash days.

Cathy recommends not using brushes in her book, but if you go to her website and read the FAQs, she elaborates. She said brushes are fine to use to style your hair (such as wrapping) and for detangling, however daily use of brushes throughout the hair is not recommended. Based on that, a Denman for detangling or a boar brush to lay your edges flat is ok!

Ok I've read some of the other threads on Cathy Howse & I'm in. As Adora said it seems very similar to what I've learned already on LHCF. All I need is some peppermint oil & to figure out how I'm not going comb my hair without looking a hot mess.

soooo cathy howse says that i can wear my hair out and straight every day and still retain length? hmmm....

Cathy believes that PS is damaging. She says when the ends are wrapped against other hair, the other hair draws moisture from the ends and makes them dry.

I've seen so many women get great results from PS, so I incorporate it into my regimen.

I like that this challenge offers consistency and a method, even though this isn't anything new. I definitely need to have some kind of accountability in my life when it comes to my hair.

Anyway, I'll take a picture of the "start" picture once I clean my ends up on Friday/Saturday. I have a TON of split ends that I have to chop off.

I've been experimenting the last few weeks with products.

I'll be washing with
- Elucence MB Shampoo (LOVE the smell... Not sure of the pH yet)
- Roux Porosity Control before DCing with either Aubrey Organics HSR (I haven't tried it), Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deep Conditioner (it is now on LOVE status), Elucence Conditioner (I like it) or Elasta DPR (jury's still out)...
- Protein Deep Conditioners... Still trying to find the right one, but I love Ultra Sheen Duo Tex (low pH). If you ladies have suggestions, please let me know. My hair loves protein (Aphogee 2 minute is a bit too weak for me)

I'm going to look for Dudley DRC 28... I want to start using that every time I trim/cut my hair every 6 - 8 weeks. Might be upgraded to monthly if my hair responds well to it.

-My leave-in will be Giovanni Direct Leave-in followed by Darcy's Botanicals Hydrating Milk (I love the smell).

Great hair day this weekend:
I washed with Elucence MB Shampoo, used Roux Porosity Control then Giovanni Smooth as Silk. When it dried (I'll change this and do it when my hair is wet), I used Giovanni's leave-in (waited for 10 minutes), then followed it with the Hydrating Milk.

My hair smelled great and felt good to the touch. I'll be searching for the winning combo with protein DC.

Ladies, after digging up old threads on Cathy Howse, i've realized that the system and the results from using her methods are beyond inspiring!!:yep::yep:
START DATE: 1ST JULY 2010- 1ST jULY 2011

My-everything, I just wanted to testify to your above statement! I decided to follow Ms. Howse's 365 day challenge last year and began it on 8/6/09. It will be a full year on 8/6/10 and I have literally achieved 5in. of new growth in just under 10 months (see my siggy for the length check pic that I took on 6/1/10).

I am a faithful user of Ms. Howse's moisture system & methods and will continue to use them unless she changes the formulation for the worse.

I will most definitely take a new 365 day challenge with you (this will be 8/6/10-8/6/11 for me). Below is my current product list and my current regimen:

My current product list:
1. WATER and Pure, Unrefined, Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil by God (J);
2. Healthy Hair Butter, Lisa’s Hair Elixir , & Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo by Carol’s Daughter (www.carolsdaughter.com);
3. Deep Conditioner, Crème Lotion Moisturizer & Dew Moisturizing Spray by Ultra Black Hair (UBH) Publications by Cathy Howse (www.ubhpublications.com);

My current regimen:
I wash my hair every 7 days, alternating with a co-wash and a shampoo wash (I deep condition my hair every other week when I do the shampoo wash) and style as desired. I am conscious of avoiding heat in my hair so I usually do my hair at night and let it air-dry overnight.

I support any black business that wants to SELL anything that benefits others. Sell is not a dirty word....business is business. This is America ...supply and demand. Let's stop the negativity. Support Black Business and entreprenneurs.

Back