Deep conditioning with a protein conditioner

mrshicks2002

I have been deep conditioning with a protein conditioner and rotating with a moisture conditioner the next week. I know that everyone hair is different as well.

I have been wondering and eyeing some regimens lately with ladies that have beautiful hair, healthy, and have grown very well. I notcied that alot of ladies that is following Cathy Howse regimen and using her products, and also thats using her products, hair is very healthy because the use only a protein conditioner when DC.

My question is do you feel that its better to DC with a protein conditioner always to make the hair stronger as long as you are using a moisturizing shampoo or rotate using a moisturizing conditioner as well.

Last edited:
I have been deep conditioning with a protein conditioner and rotating with a moisture conditioner the next week. I know that everyone hair is different as well.

I have been wondering and eyeing some regimens lately with ladies that have beautiful hair, healthy, and have grown very well. I notcied that alot of ladies that is following Cathy Howse regimen and using her products, hair is very healthy because she uses only a protein conditioner.

My question is do you feel that its better to DC with a protein conditioner always to make the hair stronger or rotate using a moisturizing conditioner.

I just got an email from Ms. Howse, not to long ago. I think it's best to DC or prepoo with a protein conditioner. You can also do both :yep: Prepoo with protein conditioner and dc with moisturizing conditioner. :)

I can't use strictly protein to DC with...my hair comes out dry like straw :antlers:. If I use any strong protein, I have to follow with a moisturizing conditioner. I've also mixed protein with moisture to DC. I might not be getting all the benefits, but I don't come out with uber dry hair.

Bumping for more replies.....

One thing I noticed on LHCF is the amount of people that are using protein on a weekly basis. I was really surprised at the poll results. OP you raise a very good question. Keclee raises a good point as well. You could use both. I think there is something with the protein DC's and the protein helping to strengthen the strands. Everyone's hair is different though... I'd love to hear anyone else's thoughts.

I'm a deep conditioning fool.
I deep condition at least twice a week
probably more...
For intense treatments under a dryer for 30-45mins
I use MissKey 10en1 once a week.
I use Silicon Mix once a week.
and then I do the steam towel
method nearly everyday with
honey, evoo, or mayonnaise.
Maybe a little extreme, but it works for me.
I am transitioning so moisture is even
more crucial for me and my line of demarcation.
I have no problems with shedding or breakage.
My hair loves loves loves it.
Not for everybody though.

I also DC 2x a week. I have learned that my hair responds well to pre-pooing with protein on dry hair. Then wash and DC with moisture. I only protein 2x a month now, and even then, it's a light protein. My hair no likey heavy protein.

probably more...

Your hair blog was a good read :up:

I can't believe that hand sewn homemade faux pony is not real

I DC with protein or moisture or both, depending on what my hair needs. Generally, I need more moisture than protein. Usually do protein around touchups: wash before, the day of and the wash after.

I 'poo, squeeze dry, apply protein condish and cover with plastic and put towel over plastic at least 30 minutes or more, remove towel and plastic and apply moisture condish on top of the protein condish, cover for another 15 minutes or more then rinse. The plastic covered with a towel can generate some serious heat, especially if left on more than 15 minutes. I LOVE this method and hair is strong and supple afterwards.

I use to 'poo, protein condish for at least 30 minutes, rinse, then moisture condish for at least 15 minutes, and rinse and while this is pretty darn good, I get a better result when I put the moisture right on top of the protein and let it sit a while, plus, less manipulation and I eliminate an extra rinsing from my routine.

On touchup days, I DC with a 50/50 mix of protein and moisture the get a balance of both. Once I'm like 2 weeks post touchup, I do moisture DC almost exclusively until touchup time . . .

Thanks and I loved reading your Blog...great information.

probably more...

Back