How do I know I need a trim?

TigerLily

For natural haired folks.

I see people talk about getting knots at the end of their hair as a sign that they need to trim. I NEVER get knots. How can I know when it's time to trim if I don't get knots?

Also, how can I tell how far up to trim with my hair in it's natural state? I would like to learn how to do this without straightening if I can.

TIA!!!:)

laketta

I had to trim earlier this week simply because when I did big twists, I noticed that the ends were a bit thin for my liking, so I clipped them. I know it will make my hair look thicker and an inch isn't a lot.

even if it did set me back two months :(
I was 1.5 away from brastrap :(
sorry about that :D

still if you are not haing breakage at the ends or knots or if your hair is still thick at the ends then you are doing okay.

pookeylou

My ends feel like broccoli florets. :grin: Because my coils clump together...the ends of the strands either make a nice coil or a bushy broccoli floret. That is a good sign it needs to be trimmed.

deedabug

well i can tell with twists if they r really scraggly at the end...i snip maybe 1/4 inch off..and all is well...knots i dont get all the time so i dont attribute it to the need for a trim..i think for me its the styles and tangling

TigerLily

pookeylou said:
My ends feel like broccoli florets. :grin: Because my coils clump together...the ends of the strands either make a nice coil or a bushy broccoli floret. That is a good sign it needs to be trimmed.
My hair never does that. It doesn't tangle, either.

I"m totally clueless about this. My hair doesn't clump/knot, it doesn't look thin towards the ends. I can't remember the last time I trimmed. Why don't I have any of the 'warning' signs. I know some are probably saying, 'Well, just trim it. Geez!!!' Yeah for now, but I would like to know what to do in the future. I don't want to chop on my hair just because nor do I want damaged ends slipping up on me.

:confused::confused::confused:

TigerLily

Screw it!! I'm trimming it now as I'm twisting. I guess I"ll trim once a year, since I don't get any of the warning signs of needing a trim. Guess that's okay for my hair.

I'll find out!! :lachen:

pookeylou

You just might be one of those fortunate souls that just needs to put it on your calendar. If you dont use heat, dont color your hair or relax it...then you aren't really doing anything to damage it to cause split ends. So therefore, you may not need to trim as often as others. If I were you, I would just put it on the calendar to trim twice a year, or less if your hair is happy without it. You make me sick! :grin:

mrslee

Love yourself first!
I havent had a good trim in over a year. I decided it was time to go ahead and go for the trim. So I scheduled an appointment. I am SO GLAD I did!! My hair has more bounce and looks 100% better. She only took off about an inch. I thought it would have been more! She was really good. She did try to steer me away from my Mane and Tail! She said that was for horses! LOL! She also told me I should wash my hair once a week, and I was due for a touch up! Now keep in mind my last relaxer was Nov 28th! I told her I was going to wait a little longer, she gave me her speech about the effects of stretching out relaxers! Overall, I was pleased with my service and will take heed to some of the advice she shared with me, but I thought I have my LHCF girls to help me with my hair! I think I must be doing something right, if all she only cut an inch. She also said my natural hair color was beautiful and to not ever color it!
So the moral of the story..... Get a trim! :)

DelightfulFlame

pookeylou said:
You just might be one of those fortunate souls that just needs to put it on your calendar. If you dont use heat, dont color your hair or relax it...then you aren't really doing anything to damage it to cause split ends. So therefore, you may not need to trim as often as others. If I were you, I would just put it on the calendar to trim twice a year, or less if your hair is happy without it. You make me sick! :grin:

TigerLily, You make me sick too. I the broccolli florets like Pookey. Now that I trim on a schedule, I don't get them anymore though.

TigerLily

DelightfulFlame said:
TigerLily, You make me sick too. I the broccolli florets like Pookey. Now that I trim on a schedule, I don't get them anymore though.
:lachen::lachen:

Ya'll have fun with that broccoli!!! Have some fun; put some cheese on it!!! :D:lachen:

Right now I have it scheduled to trim every 3 months. I'm thinking about upping it to every 4 though. Hmmm.....decisions, decisions!!!

babyblue

deedabug said:
well i can tell with twists if they r really scraggly at the end...i snip maybe 1/4 inch off..and all is well...knots i dont get all the time so i dont attribute it to the need for a trim..i think for me its the styles and tangling

thats what i do too.

Jewell

A couple years ago when I was in high school, I used to judge needing a trim on the ability of the ends of my hair to hold a curl from a curling iron. When my ends were really bad, the curl would last for a few minutes and then flatten out! Whenever I had a fresh trim, the curls would last for days. Now since I've nixed heat for the past year and 3 mos, if my ends look too "see through" or a little frayed, I probably need a trim. I've been doing dustings (only cutting individual split hairs) to hold me over til my next touch up in like 4 months!!! :eek: If you're cutting like 100 or more individual hairs, I would say just get a trim. I only get what is uneven/see through cut off, and I maintian a blunt cut by doing so.

Last edited:

Porsche19

I just trimmed my hair today... the last time that anything really got cut off was the middle of last month. It was just to even up my bob (btw...my hair has made a noticable gain in length since then AND it looks fab!!) Well you trim to make everything look pretty and even if you want.

I cut off individual splits and single strand knots, or if I see the ends of a section looking thin or see through.

I used to be so scissor happy... just cutting of half of an inch and up to 2 inches at a time when I didn't really have to. Dusting is good, I go through my hair and see only 5 splits. I'll be saving the trimming for times like today to even it u p when I wear it straight and for whenever else I need it. I no longer feel the need to totally hack at my hair at the first sight of imperfection.

If you don't get splits or anything, just wait a while. I'm sure that EVERYONE gets a few splits... even natural type 1's. It's normal wear and tear.