What's up with these KNOTS!

kookysnkream

I can't take it anymore!

I get these itsy bitsy tiny lil knots @ the end of my hair. What in the world does that mean? I need a trim?

How do i prevent that from happening?

I was getting them alot.
I have to force my self to leave my hair alone.
I have a habit of hair twirling or running my fingers up my scalp, I think that is what causes it...the manipulation.

Yeah...i mean i'm natural...but i haven't got a trim since April...YIKES! i know i know its been awhile but i figured once i get back from my vacation in Jan I will get my trim...

...anyone with some answers? lol

I was getting them alot.
I have to force my self to leave my hair alone.
I have a habit of hair twirling or running my fingers up my scalp, I think that is what causes it...the manipulation.

really? i dont touch my hair really...i wash once a week, two if my hair gets dry...other than that...its down during the day and up in a pineapple pony @ night...

I get the knots when my hair is dry. When I kept up w/ my moisturizing they were almost non-existent. I have since fallen off and keep finding them and split ends like crazy. I gave myself a baby trim and now I am babying my ends with castor oil every night.

I believe castor oil is the TRUTH for the ends of natural hair :yep:

I get the knots when my hair is dry. When I kept up w/ my moisturizing they were almost non-existent. I have since fallen off and keep finding them and split ends like crazy. I gaTve myself a baby trim and now I am babying my ends with castor oil every night.

I believe castor oil is the TRUTH for the ends of natural hair :yep:

ITA...I will say that at the time I was getting them alot that I had dry ends. I havent' seen one for a long time and I have really been paying attention to my ends.

really? i dont touch my hair really...i wash once a week, two if my hair gets dry...other than that...its down during the day and up in a pineapple pony @ night...

Yea, but since NaturaJoy mentioned the dry ends, I had that too at the time, so maybe it was that, or a combo.:perplexed

I can't take it anymore!

I get these itsy bitsy tiny lil knots @ the end of my hair. What in the world does that mean? I need a trim?

How do i prevent that from happening?

They're called "fairy knots" or "pixie knots" and although you won't find a lot of answers on causes or prevention, I speculate that they're caused by dry-combing.

If the ends of your hair get too dry or too porous (causing the layers to raise and the hairs to catch on themselves), then the individual strands will begin curling up on themselves and creating little knots that get tightened when you run a comb through your hair.

Keep your ends moist and sealed and don't try to pull your way through tangles and they'll go away. HTH.

I've been paying more attention to my knots. I believe that they are caused by uneven curling of the hair strand due to damage or improper relaxation. When manipulated, the curl flexes and turns back on itself. I think dryness is a factor as well.

I also form knots whenever I have difficulty detangling my hair. If the loose hair drags against other hair and I have to pull on it to get it out, chances are I will get a knot. I've been trimming every 8 weeks to prevent this, but I don't think it is the final answer.

thanx! you all have been a great help!

unfortunately, i think my knots are due to my ends being dry :( imma try and just keep moisturizing with my castor and see what will happen.

wish me luck!

I also have a habit of inadvertently twisting my hair. I get those pixie knots- there was a thread with poohbear about it. I take a sharp scissor and cut it off- spray the ends with my moisture spray and seal with Jamaican Black castor oil. Dont forget the satin cap or scarf and the satin pillowcases. Thats helped alot with the hair rubbing on a dry material.
HTH

ITA with the comments on dryness - well moisturized hair tends to slip, rather than to knot.

:look: I ignore mine, most of the time.

Back