Roller Setting Challenge for 2010???

longhairlover

You can post pics throughout the challenge, I think the pics help everyone on how to rollerset and it's fun. The progress pics are every several months but please post your pics whenever you want :). I love to see hair pics.

**This is also a support group for us rollersetters so any questions please post them here even if your not in the challenge. ;)

The challenge is open and closes October 1st 2010 only because the shortest time to do the challenge is 3 months at least.
***12/27 I changed the timeframe to a year, but you can do the challenge for as long as you want just post when you are done with the challenge if you choose not to do the full year.*** also please post updates every 3 months. You can also start the challenge whenever since it's a year it will be open for new challengers :)

Challengers thus far (updated 9/21):

2cute!
a_shoe_6307
angiet1985
aymone
ayoung
back2relaxed
Bella_Atl
bigmommah
bliss806
buddhas mom
ceebee3
chaosbutterfly
charmtreese
Chelz
chelleypie810
ckisland
Conqueror_aka
cream_tee
creolehottie
cutenss
dany06
day dreamer
DonyaleK
Erocka
GeechyGurl
gissellr78
gymfreak336
halee_J
happylife
hair7
ilah
itismehmmkay
jazzyto
jcdlox
Jen-Lise
KandyCurls
keisha8185
latoya28
lolasmane
longhairlover
lovelexi
Loves Harmony
miami74
Millyj
missfreshlala
missi
morehairplease
motherpopcorn562
Mrs N Lugo
mrssmitty77
Ms Rae
mst1908
mz.shug
mzsophisticated26
Njoy
optimus prime
panamoni
pookaloo83
questionable
quietstorm15
Salsarisma
seemegrow
serenity_peace
shana
sharifeh
solitude
sophia_reed
sqzbly1908
starrz329
stellagirl76
SunnyDelight
taleah2009
TeeDee66
theprototype
topnotch1010
tressobsessed
unique4lyfe33
uofmpanther
Vee-Vee
WriterGirl
yewakinbo

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Requirements
when we start let's post our starting pics then from there post your update/progress pic every 3 months.

EDIT 12/27 **Official start date is January 2nd 2010, But this challenege is for a year so you can also start at anytime during the year but try to at least do the challenge for 3 months. the end date is December 2010, however,[/B] you can do the challenge for as long as you want be it 3 months, 6 months or the full year:)

**I also wanted to add that we don't have to use the conventional rollers i.e. magnetic type rollers for this challenge either, I know rollersetting can be aggravating so I also wanted to mention that we can use other tools like Curlformers, flexirods, jerri curl type rods, ceramic rollers, wet wraps too.

it's also cool if you choose to rollerset on dry hair BUT on hair that's been airdried not blown out, I only say this because were trying to become less dependant on using too many heat appliances, the heat from hooded dryers as we know is less damaging (indirect) and airdrying of course is always better (my hair doesn't like airdrying but it's still the better method for those that can do it successfully).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules:
This is going to be a more laid back challenge, a keep it simple one, I know rollersetting can take up alot of a person's time. You can post your starting length pics. Rollerset no more than 2x's weekly, I wash my hair twice a week. Rollersets on wet hair after a wash, or airdried hair. I figure since this is a more lenient challenge we will all be more loyal to it instead of the jail style challenges that are strict lmao!

1. What rollers will you be using?
2. What products will you use to set? (i.e. setting lotion, leave ins, serums etc.)
3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)?
4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all (optional)?
5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer?
6. What styling tools will you be using? (fine tooth comb etc)

for the blowdryer part i'm lenient since sometimes I myself do blowdry on low heat high temp to get smoother hair/roots, I notice when I round brush the hair and THEN do a saran wrap I get better sleeker results. in the end it is still less heat than if I blew my hair out from wet to dry on high speed high temp.

post updated pics every 3 months (if you are doing the challenge for 3 - 6 months post pics every month and 1/2, I think it's better to give your hair a chance and normally a few months is a good enough time to see if there is any change in your hair, sometimes it takes more than a month for progress.

For styling at night you can pin curl, wrap or whatever method you have that is gentle on the strands. flat ironing is ok for the roots!!!! I have not flat ironed my hair since Oct 17th 2009 and that was only for a party. You get a few passes for the full head.

But lets try to stick to no flat ironing (except for the roots) unless it's for length checks. AND if you must flatiron your whole head just try to keep it to a minimum, I swear I didn't think i'd make it without my flatiron but it's really been pleasant without using it soooo much.

These are the tools that I use for my rollersets:

I do not use extra fine teeth combs I am trying to keep hair on my head but it's your preference.
http://www.sallybeauty.com/Cricket-Styling/Sectioning-Pro-25-Silkomb/SBS-354602,default,pd.html

this is a great detangler and smoother

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Bone-Super-Tail-Comb/SBS-152005,default,pd.html
I use the super tail comb after using my jilbere to apply conditioners, leave in etc then I use the cricket comb

that's all I can think of for now, ya'll can chime in if you want to edit anything,

Last edited:

cutenss

I want to join. I joined the last one and failed miserably :nono: I am going to buy my ceramic rollers, bonnet dryer, and steamer on payday. Trying gain those last three inches I need to meet my goal in 2010. :yep: Since I did not make in 2009, which is MBL.

ETA:
Ceramic rollers from here: http://storesense2.megawebservers.com/HS4408/Detail.bok?no=408
2. What products will you use to set? (i.e. setting lotion, leave ins, serums etc.)
Chi Silk Infusion
Both, but more health with less split ends, if possible
4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all?(optional)
No
Bonnet Dryer

Denman, and yes a fine tooth comb :look:

I will be flatironing once every 3 months when I do my BKT.

ETA again: Here is my starting pic taken 12-9-09

Last edited:

longhairlover

hey cutenss, thanks for joining, hopefully we'll get alot of ladies, I figure we might as well get started now since it's almost 2010.

MrsHdrLe

I love roller setting! I'm game!

1. What rollers will you be using? Black hard rollers (2" diameter) and Caruso if necessary
2. What products will you use to set? Joico K-Pak Reconstructer Leave In and Castor or Coconut Oil (this may change later)
3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)? All 'uv it!
4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all? No blowdryer (I threw it out!)
5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer? I use a hooded dryer on low/med heat (takes a while, but limits heat on hair)
6. What styling tools will you be using? Wide teeth combs and Denman brush to detangle

Last edited:

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
I'm so in! I love rollersetting!

Cutenss, are you getting the ceramic ones from rickys?
I've had my eye on those, but I don't know what I'd do with all my plastic ones. I have about 50 of them. :nono:

ETA:

For now, I'm using the red and teal plastic magnetic ones, with a few purple ones scattered in. I love the body and volume that I can get with using smaller rollers. I also will be doing flexi rod sets. I have purple ones now, but am going to get smaller ones.

I'll mainly be using the old school lottabody that you have to dilute with water. I'll also be using Herbal Essence's Long Term Relation Leave-In, Chi Silk Infusion, and a very small amount of Vatika Oil to seal in moisture and add shine. I also want to try out Lacio Lacio.

Thickness...I'd push my momma down (sorry, mom) if it meant that I could have thick hair. Obviously length would be lovely as well, but mostly, I just want thicker and stronger hair.

4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all?(optional)

No blowdryer. :nono:

I'll be using a hooded dryer. I currently have the Gold N Hot 1200 Watt tabletop dryer, and I really like it. I dry my hair about 85 percent on High, and then progressively turn it lower until my hair is completely dry. And then I sit under the cool setting for about 15 minutes. Waiting for BSB to get that Pibbs.

I use a wide tooth plastic comb, a K-Cutter Comb, a fine tooth rattail comb, plastic hair clips, metal two-pronged alligator clips, a spray bottle, and saran wrap.

ETA: Got my starting picture.

Last edited:

longhairlover

I've been eyeballing those as well, I just wonder if they give the same smooth sets, guess i'll be the guinea pig, hopefully they will be on sale this weekend coming up.
I have a super sized bag with rollers too from beige (thought i was going to be doing shirley temples back in the days) to black :lachen:

I've had my eye on those, but I don't know what I'd do with all my plastic ones. I have about 50 of them. :nono:

Shana'

I'm in.
1. What rollers will you be using? I will be using gray magnetic rollers as will as gray flexi rods.

2. What products will you use to set? (i.e. setting lotion, leave ins, serums etc.)Either Silicon Mix L/I or HE LTR L/I and Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea.

3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)? Both

4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all?(optional)Nah, I'm not too good with the blowdryer.

5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer? Under a hooded dryer for 30 mins then air drying.

Wide tooth comb, rattail comb and silver roller clips.

Last edited:

questionable

Oh yeah...Im in...

ETA:

I have a set of conair magnetic rollers. I use the 2" rollers for my sets.

2. What products will you use to set?
I use a mixture of Infusium 23 and Salerm 21 with a few drops of evoo to set my hair.

3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health or both)?
I am more concerned with the health of my hair.

4. Will you be using a blow dryer on your roots?
No blow drying for me.

5. Will you be air drying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer?
I will be using a hooded dryer.

6. What styling tools will you be using?
I will be using a wide tooth comb for detangling and a rat tail comb for my rollersets.

Last edited:

cutenss

Hi Chaosbutterfly :wave:, I am going to get 4 sets of the medium rollers. I think that will be enough. You can always put your old ones on the hair swap thread. :yep: I hope I can do this. I am NOT good at rollersetting. :nono:

mzsophisticated26

my goal is to learn how to rollerset better so I am in. I will be texlaxing in about another week so I can post starting pics then.

1. What rollers will you be using? [B]magnetic(gray,purple and red), wet wrap and flexi rods
2. What products will you use to set? lacio lacio, elasta qp h-two or diluted lottabody, chi keratin mist[/B
3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)? both and some thickness
4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all?(optional) [B]I may use a blowdryer on my roots when I become 4+ weeks post texlax, I have a ionic blowdryer but I am looking for a new one

5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer? hooded dryer but I have an old school gold n hot that does nothing so I will be looking to get a new one by christmas
6. What styling tools will you be using? fine/wide tooth comb, saran wrap

Here is my starting pic( my hair is uneven):

also I want to increase thickness to here are some starting shots of my thin hair:
leftside

right side

Last edited:

Day Dreamer

I love this idea and I am up for it. i need to know if the roller setting can be done on wet or dry hair or both?

magnetic rollers

Fantasia IC Heat Protectant and LTR Leave-in3.

What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)?

Both

yes, but minimally.

I will be using a hooded dryer

Fine and wide tooth combs, silver pins.

Last edited:

panamoni

I'll join. I don't have all the details yet. I have yet to watch my new rollersetting dvd and try it out, but I will, and this challenge will help with that.

Magnetic

Leave-ins (Salerm 21 or Lacio Lacio)

Length and health

No blowdryer for my roots

Hooded dryer. GoldnHot Table top -- maybe if I get good at it, I'll buy a standing more powerful hooded dryer like the pibbs or one the OP mentioned.

Whatever is recommended on the rollersetting dvd I have yet to watch.

pookaloo83

I wanna join!

1. What rollers will you be using? Purple magnetic

2. What products will you use to set? (i.e. setting lotion, leave ins, serums etc.) I use NTM, Aphogee Green Tea, and Fantasia IC Heat Protectant

4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all?(optional) I won't be. But If we can't use a flat iron for the roots then I guess I'll have to.

5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer? I have a bonnet dryer

6. What styling tools will you be using? (fine tooth comb etc) Fine tooth comb. But it's seamless.

charmtreese

I'm joining. I've been rollersetting every week since dec 07. My hair loves this method of drying better then another I've tried.

1. What rollers will you be using? A combination of Magnetic gray, purple and red rollers.
2. What products will you use to set? (i.e. setting lotion, leave ins, serums etc.) Joico kpak reconstructor, Leave- in protectant and color restorative styling oil
3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)? still looking for length....and this is the most healthiest way I have found to dry my hair.
4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all?(optional) No direct heat blow drying.
5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer? Bonnet dryer
Fingers, detangling comb and fine tooth comb.

rainbowknots

I'm not joining the challenge, but I AM roller setting for the first time on my next touch up (which is also the first time I'll be doing that). I'm subscribing for tips and will keep a close eye for the once in a blue moon times I do roller set

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
I love it!!! :woohoo2:

My 1.5 inch ceramic rollers, purchased from here: http://storesense2.megawebservers.com/HS4408/Detail.bok?no=408

I've been using this Zotus Porosity Equalizer to rollerset with, adding a little bit of water. I love it because it helps to hold moisturizer and I lose no hair. I purchased this from Sally's:

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Porosity-Equalizer/SBS-124025,default,pd.html

Length, health. I'm on the No Heat challenge. I think rollersetting has made my hair much, much healthier.

I won't be using any heat at all. I will probably stop rollersetting once I get to 14 weeks because I hair starts to break from all the manipulation.

I use my hooded dryer every week.

I use a wide tooth comb to comb out the tangles if any. I use a fine tooth comb for smoothing. I lose very little hair due to the porosity product and water, combing from the bottom up.

Last edited:

lolascurls

1. What rollers will you be using? Magnetic rollers
2. What products will you use to set? (i.e. setting lotion, leave ins, serums etc.) CHI silk infusion, CHI keratin Mist and Organics Leave in Mayo.
3. What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)? Length and health!
4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all?(optional) Possibly! not sure, will see how my roots look!
5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer? Hooded dryer
6. What styling tools will you be using? (fine tooth comb etc) Wide tooth comb to detangle in sections, then Fine tooth comb :yep:

ceebee3

I’ll join in, I’ve been roller setting my hair since February of this year. I joined the 09 challenge and I couldn’t wait for it to be over because I was tired of setting my hair. Well I realized that my hair looks the best when I roller set, so I will continue to do it. I only set once a week.

What rollers will you be using?
Magnetic – purple and grey

I use Paul Mitchell the conditioner, Aphogee green tea & keratin, chi silk infusion (or any substitute for those types of products)

I’m looking to achieve length and keep my hair healthy

I’m not sure, right now I'm 13 weeks post so if I want to wear my hair straight I guess I'll use some type of heat. I don't have plans for too many straight styles though.

I’ll be using my old hot tools hooded dryer

I use my shower comb and a fine tooth comb to set, and I use the slide in pins to keep the rollers in place.

MrsSmitty77

I am definately in!!!

1. What rollers will you be using? Magnetic purple and red rollers.
Chi Keratin Mist, Lacio-Lacio & Diluted Lotta Body for Hold
Both
4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all?(optional) Uncertain
6. What styling tools will you be using? (fine tooth comb etc) Fingers, detangling comb and fine tooth comb.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
I'd like to join, but I want to wait till the end of this relaxer stretch to start, if thats alright. All this NG + short hair + rollers= hot mess for me. I'll be WnG till touch up time. I'll be keeping and eye on this thread in the meantime :yep:.

Last edited:

longhairlover

how does the chi silk infusion do with rollersets, does it make the hair greasy at all. I think i've been over using silk infusion and ending up a darn oil slick lmao!

I want to join. I joined the last one and failed miserably :nono: I am going to buy my ceramic rollers, bonnet dryer, and steamer on payday. Trying gain those last three inches I need to meet my goal in 2010. :yep: Since I did not make in 2009, which is MBL.

ETA:
Ceramic rollers from here: http://storesense2.megawebservers.com/HS4408/Detail.bok?no=408
Chi Silk Infusion
Both, but more health with less split ends, if possible
No
Bonnet Dryer

Denman, and yes a fine tooth comb :look:

I will be flatironing once every 3 months when I do my BKT.

longhairlover

you can do it, i'm also gonna add that we don't have to always use the magnetic rollers, because I want to also set my hair with the curlformers, well after I purchase them.

Hi Chaosbutterfly :wave:, I am going to get 4 sets of the medium rollers. I think that will be enough. You can always put your old ones on the hair swap thread. :yep: I hope I can do this. I am NOT good at rollersetting. :nono:

longhairlover

on the dry hair would it be hair that's already blowdried? or airdried?

I was thinking mainly on wet hair so we can try to avoid too much heat from the blowdryer.

if airdried then yeah it's cool. i'll add that too my first post.

I love this idea and I am up for it. i need to know if the roller setting can be done on wet or dry hair or both?

pruple and gray magnetic rollers

Fantasia IC Heat Protectant and LTR Leave-in3.

What do you want to achieve in your stretch (length, health both)?

Both

yes, but minimally.

I will be using a hooded dryer

Fine and wide tooth combs, silver pins.

longhairlover

ok..........i'll edit the 100% no flatironing, I forget that we can use them for the roots.

I wanna join!

1. What rollers will you be using? Purple magnetic

2. What products will you use to set? (i.e. setting lotion, leave ins, serums etc.) I use NTM, Aphogee Green Tea, and Fantasia IC Heat Protectant

4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? Will you be using a blowdryer at all?(optional) I won't be. But If we can't use a flat iron for the roots then I guess I'll have to.

5. Will you be airdrying or using a hooded or bonnet dryer? I have a bonnet dryer

6. What styling tools will you be using? (fine tooth comb etc) Fine tooth comb. But it's seamless.

longhairlover

**revisions**

also pookaloo83 reminded me that some do flatiron their roots, I use to do this too forgot about it, i'll edit the first post to flat iron use for roots.

I don't want this challenge to be too strict, I know it's a challenge, but I think it's good that we take things one week at a time, I know for myself it has been hard not to flatiron once a week and blowdry like I normally do, but i've slowly began to adjust, and the times i've had to flatiron I really appreciated it :)

longhairlover

cool, remember patience if this is going to be the first rollerset, my first few (well more than a few) rollersets were horrid, and caused me to throw a temper tantrum :lachen:

so patience, and use the slide in clips they make things much easier, at sallys they also have large bobby pins specifically for rollersetting they work well too.

I'm not joining the challenge, but I AM roller setting for the first time on my next touch up (which is also the first time I'll be doing that). I'm subscribing for tips and will keep a close eye for the once in a blue moon times I do roller set

longhairlover

let us know how those ceramic rollers work, and if they are better than the magnetic, I really want to try them but i'm still on the fence/cheap lol!

i'm going to try that porosity control you attached.

I love it!!! :woohoo2:

My 1.5 inch ceramic rollers, purchased from here: http://storesense2.megawebservers.com/HS4408/Detail.bok?no=408

I've been using this Zotus Porosity Equalizer to rollerset with, adding a little bit of water. I love it because it helps to hold moisturizer and I lose no hair. I purchased this from Sally's:

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Porosity-Equalizer/SBS-124025,default,pd.html

Length, health. I'm on the No Heat challenge. I think rollersetting has made my hair much, much healthier.

I won't be using any heat at all. I will probably stop rollersetting once I get to 14 weeks because I hair starts to break from all the manipulation.

I use my hooded dryer every week.

I use a wide tooth comb to comb out the tangles if any. I use a fine tooth comb for smoothing. I lose very little hair due to the porosity product and water, combing from the bottom up.

longhairlover

oh yeah you have time to join, it won't officially start til Jan 2010, I guess i'm starting now since i've been rollersetting faithfully anyways for about 2 months. newgrowth and any hair length is a hot mess at times so your not alone. my last relaxer was in July and just last week out of nowhere I have newgrowth out of nowhere and it is a hot mess :lachen:

I'd like to join, but I want to wait till the end of this relaxer stretch to start, if thats alright. All this NG + short hair + rollers= hot mess for me. I'll be WnG till touch up time. I'll be keeping and eye on this thread in the meantime :yep:.

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
I think I want in on this one too. And then I'm done with '10 challenges.:look:

1. What rollers will you be using? Mesh (at least at first)
2. What products will you use to set? Chi Silk Infusion, Lacio Lacio/Nairobi Foam Wrap (until I use it up at least), and a heat protectant spray
Both
4. Will you be using a blowdryer on your roots? IDK.
6. What styling tools will you be using? (fine tooth comb etc) Fine tooth comb (think I need a new one though); wide tooth comb; I am unsure about the paddle brush because I like to swoop into a wrap once the curls are dry and sit under the dryer for another 10 mins