Relaxed/Texlaxed Support!

Poranges

Positive Vibrations
I really enjoyed the other support thread, this if for re/texlaxers who plan to stay that way for a while and would like to support one another and share stories. :yep:

In order to keep this thread open, please, the majority of us are grown women:

-Do not denounce any hair group, this thread is strictly supportive, focus on supporting and not whether you're the minority or this or that. If anyone on this board is bothered by your hair choice to the point of denouncing you, they should not matter, in this case ignorance is bliss and retaliation will lead to the lock.
-If you're not in favor of relaxing & have nothing of substance to add, stay out, period, that is NOT what this is about.

Lets have fun and gain knowledge! :grin:

LisaLisa1908

What 40 looks like.
I am about 30 years relaxed/texlaxed and I plan to stay this way. I am currently stretching for 14-16 weeks, and wash biweekly and blow dry/flat iron in the fall/winter and cowash and wet bun 2x/week in spring/summer. I am approaching APL and I hope to make it by the end of this year and hit BSL by the end of 2010.

I love the diversity of having texlaxed hair and now that I truly know how to care for it, I am thoroughly surprised that I have gone from being a biweekly salon head since I was 10 to now only going for my touch ups, trims, and rinses. My ceramic blow dryer and flat iron, NTM Silk Touch leave in, Suave Strawberries and Creme conditioner for cowashing, Chi Silk Infusion and my Denman brush have been my salvation.

iNicola

I plan on relaxing 3 - 4 times a year. If I were asked 6 months ago if I would transition to natural I would have said no. Now, I've entertained the thought but it won't be for now. My goal is MBL and I'm currently grazing APL or little past it but I won't claim it until I trim next year. My relaxer of choice is MBB system and I'm stretching my relaxers to no less than 4 months. I'm currently 4 weeks+ post relaxer.

taz007

I have actually been natural longer than I have been relaxed. I relaxed virgin hair in May '08, I believe. I relax with Phyto II every 6-9 weeks. I use the entire Joico line for washing/reconstructing/moisturizing.

The the things that have changed my hair around is making sure that the previously relaxed hair is well protected by a mixture Joico Cuticle sealer, neutralizing shampoo and vaseline (probably overkill, but it works).

I used to wash my hair every other day, now I am getting lazy and doing it every 5-7 days with no damage to my hair.

OP, great thread!

Beaute Noire

^^Awesome, thanks 4 sharing this :grin:...gonna read everything.

simplyhair

I am 10 weeks post with Mizani Sensitive Scalp Relaxer. I am interested in using the Butter Blends but I don't think my stylist has it.

This is my first time going past 10 weeks and it seems to be a challenge. I use the scarf method from Sylver to maintain my new growth. I always air dry unless I get a relaxer at the shop.

I just usually rock two pig tails down my back or a bun. Every so often, I'll do a braid/twist out.

sunnieb

Hi ladies! After two months of searching, I finally found the Rusk Smoother Leave-in at an Ulta store near me. I'm a little over 7 weeks post and I'm hoping it helps to keep my newgrowth in check! I'll be using it this morning after my shampoo/dc.

Last edited:

LisaLisa1908

What 40 looks like.
Oh, I meant to mention that my stylist uses Design Essentials on me. He uses Regular AND Time Release, depending on the area he's relaxing - I have two different textures in my head and he's found that using the time release is better on certain areas and the regular is better in others.

sunnieb

Msa, I just want to say that you are one of the posters who have really helped me with my HHJ. I have passed some of the info on to family and friends who are just starting their HHJs as well.

simplyhair

I just checked out the thread regarding using silk before a relaxer. I found a thread where the OP used Wella Silk in her relaxer.

Has anyone tried the liquid form of silk in their relaxer? What about the powder version? Is one form better than the other? What were your results?

Tamrin

unapologetic
Any texlaxed ladies have tangled hair issues. I have been so busy doing stuff that I did not realizeI had not washed in 2 weeks and bunning and low mani during that time. (das nasty for me). I washed last night and decided to finish using the rest of some joico conditioner I had to DC with heat. OMG Ladies. I went in the shower and tried to detangle, my hair decided to lock. It took me 3 hours to untangle. I slathered on some conditioner for slip. My hair was not having it. I tried to salt remedy. Nope. When I was done I had a ball of hair in the sink. I'm fully aware some of it is shed from two weeks for very low manipulation. No detangling textlaxed hair for more than a week is not good for me. I co washed this morning and rollerset. Do you know I still had tangles?

Have you ladies who are texlaxed experienced this?

KnottyGurl

Question: Once you get past six weeks, if you workout/sweat, what is your regimen for new-growth maintenance?

For me, the first three weeks are fine, but after that, my hair gets so soaked in sweat from working out that I HAVE TO wash and dry it on those days. I have shoulder-length hair that is not all even, so a ponytail is not doable. Any tips would be appreciated.

Gg

Tee

Question: Once you get past six weeks, if you workout/sweat, what is your regimen for new-growth maintenance?

For me, the first three weeks are fine, but after that, my hair gets so soaked in sweat from working out that I HAVE TO wash and dry it on those days. I have shoulder-length hair that is not all even, so a ponytail is not doable. Any tips would be appreciated.

Gg
Geechy I cowash alot during heavy workout times. Buns or braidouts are your friends.

simplyhair

Gg

I agree with Tee. If you have sweat days, try to cowash.

My sweat days are every other day. So, here is what I do:

1. Co wash with conditioner of choice (preferably with slip)
2. Apply leave in, moisturizer and seal with oil (if you like)
3. When I have a lot of new growth, I always smooth my hair back (part in middle) because I ALWAYS put a scarf (from Sylver) on to maintain my new growth.

4. Possibly throw a few rollers on the ends to have nice looking ends. Depending on your length, you can roll the roller up as far as it can go and it will give a nice curl...similar to how a roller set will look at the end.

Then I air dry.

EDITED: Oh, yea, like Tee said, buns and braid outs are good. You should still be able to tie your hair down with a scarf for these methods as well.

Aggie

I am subscribed to all of these threads already but it's good all in one place for those who haven't yet seen them all:yep:.

Aggie

Any texlaxed ladies have tangled hair issues. I have been so busy doing stuff that I did not realizeI had not washed in 2 weeks and bunning and low mani during that time. (das nasty for me). I washed last night and decided to finish using the rest of some joico conditioner I had to DC with heat. OMG Ladies. I went in the shower and tried to detangle, my hair decided to lock. It took me 3 hours to untangle. I slathered on some conditioner for slip. My hair was not having it. I tried to salt remedy. Nope. When I was done I had a ball of hair in the sink. I'm fully aware some of it is shed from two weeks for very low manipulation. No detangling textlaxed hair for more than a week is not good for me. I co washed this morning and rollerset. Do you know I still had tangles?

Have you ladies who are texlaxed experienced this?
Wow, this is scary. This is why I detengle twice a week now on wash days only. I would recommend trying the Taliah Waajid protective mist bodifier which you purchase online or from a CVS store in your area. It is an awesome detangler and moisturizer all in one.

gymfreak336

Tamrin, also make sure in times like that, that you are detangling before you wash. Separate your hair with your fingers in to a couple of sections and use a wide tooth comb to gently rack through to detangle before you even get it wet. It might also help to keep your hair in one direction when you wash. Like use your hands to pull the shampoo through each section, same with the conditioner. Don't let your hair go willy nilly everywhere during wash time. That might help you control the tangle.

gymfreak336

GeechyGirl

Have you tried pincurling your hair before you workout? I pin curl when I don't want to bun and when I can't bun like this summer when I cut my hair into a inverted bob. I pin curl and put a sweat band on. This helps absorb a lot of the sweat. I then wait until my hair is completely dry before taking the pin curls down. I do this when I know I don't have time to cowash. It usually gives me one or two more days out of a style before I have to wash.

gymfreak336

Oh, I meant to mention that my stylist uses Design Essentials on me. He uses Regular AND Time Release, depending on the area he's relaxing - I have two different textures in my head and he's found that using the time release is better on certain areas and the regular is better in others.

I'm jealous. You have a good stylist. He seems so attentive.

KnottyGurl

Thanks for the tips ladies! I've been co-washing on the days I workout (every other day), but I didn't know if that was too much. After the wash, I let it air-dry and then briefly blow dry straight. I didn't know if that was too much blow drying too. I'm going to try some of the things posted above and see what works.

Thanks again!

Gg

msa

Wow, this is scary. This is why I detengle twice a week now on wash days only. I would recommend trying the Taliah Waajid protective mist bodifier which you purchase online or from a CVS store in your area. It is an awesome detangler and moisturizer all in one.

I'm natural (4a) but I have to cosign on the tw pmb. It's literally amazing. I've been natural my whole life and never been able to finger detangle easily until using this product. I love it.

Irresistible

Thanks for the tips ladies! I've been co-washing on the days I workout (every other day), but I didn't know if that was too much. After the wash, I let it air-dry and then briefly blow dry straight. I didn't know if that was too much blow drying too. I'm going to try some of the things posted above and see what works.

Thanks again!

Gg
:lachen:@ your siggy

exoticmommie

I am relaxed and plan to keep relaxing. Currently I am using the Silk Element Relaxer Lye Line. I have come a long way in a year, from thinned over processed hair. To thick and healthy relaxed hair. I attribute this to stretching (9-12 weeks), sulfate free shampoos unless clarifying, weekly deep conditioning and lite protein treatments. Cowashing, and my handy dandy hair steamer is just icing on the cake. And I have to thank LHCF for that I have learned. My next goal is APL, but I am just happy to be trucking it along with a healthy head of hair.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I just relaxed with Silk Elements no lye and it will be the only relaxer I will ever use! This relaxer blew ORS out the water. No burns or the famous "relaxer smell.":grin: It left my hair beautifully thick too. It can still hold flat twists, if I desire them.:clap: I'm really happy with my hair and I will relax no more than 3 Xs a year.:yep: I'll be updating fotki and my avatar when I get my pics taken. I will be trying to reach a goal of APL hair since I reached shoulder length during my 6 month plus stretch.

msa

I am relaxed and plan to keep relaxing. Currently I am using the Silk Element Relaxer Lye Line. I have come a long way in a year, from thinned over processed hair. To thick and healthy relaxed hair. I attribute this to stretching (9-12 weeks), sulfate free shampoos unless clarifying, weekly deep conditioning and lite protein treatments. Cowashing, and my handy dandy hair steamer is just icing on the cake. And I have to thank LHCF for that I have learned. My next goal is APL, but I am just happy to be trucking it along with a healthy head of hair.

I remember your most recent progress thread and your progress is great! You sure do have a head of healthy, beautiful hair:yep:. I'm sure you'll be apl before you know it.

Finewine

I'm relaxed, but I'd like to give a shout out to all of the relaxed and natural ladies. I love the diversity of hair on this site...it's a thing of beauty and should be celebrated. :)