Type 3s & Type 4s Get In Here! I'm Curious About Something..

State Hair Texture and Hair Length

• Type 3 w/ Fine Hair

Votes: 22 10.1%
  • Type 3 w/ Medium Hair

Votes: 23 10.6%
  • Type 3 w/ Coarse Hair

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • Type 4 w/ Fine Hair

Votes: 55 25.2%
  • Type 4 w/ Medium Hair

Votes: 54 24.8%
  • Type 4 w/ Coarse Hair

Votes: 33 15.1%
  • Type 3 & Type 4 Fine with at least APL hair

Votes: 31 14.2%
  • Type 3 & Type 4 Medium with at least APL hair

Votes: 32 14.7%
  • Type 3 & Type 4 Coarse with at least APL hair

Votes: 12 5.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kblc06

I'm just wondering if there is a correlation of increased length with hair strand density regardless of type. I'm beginning to wonder if there are just more type 3s with coarse hair -hence the reason for Mdwezi's poll results. When I think about it, I only know of a few FOM who had fine hair, and they have ranged from 2c --> 4b. So if you could, please answer in the above poll

tocktick

I think hair type still factors quite a bit when it comes to retention. However, I do partially agree with you about those with coarser strands retaining more. I think their hair can withstand more manipulation and friction than others. With that said, I think a tighter coiled/textured type 4 may have a harder time retaining than someone with the same type who has medium strands.

What's the difference between medium and coarse?

I think "medium" is really just normal thickness. Imo, it's obvious what fine hair is if you have it. I think coarse hair feels a little hard and wiry. I have some coarse yet medium stands. I think it's coarse thick hair that can stand more wear and tear.

Last edited:

Ediese

I think hair type still factors quite a bit when it comes to retention. However, I do partially agree with you about those with coarser strands retaining more. I think their hair can withstand more manipulation and friction than others. With that said, I think a tighter coiled/textured type 4 may have a harder time retaining than someone with the same type who has medium strands.

I think "medium" is really just normal thickness. Imo, it's obvious what fine hair is if you have it. I think coarse hair feels a little hard and wiry. I have some coarse yet medium stands. I think it's coarse thick hair that can stand more wear and tear.

Thanks! I was trying to figure out if my hair was medium or coarse. I'm not sure. My hair has the tendency to 'appear' really thick and so it gives it the impression that I have coarse strands, but it's really not. I think I have a lot of fine/medium strands. When my hair is straightened, it looks really fine though.

ladylibra

Hard to guess... I suppose I'm in between medium and coarse. Years ago, in one of my college bio labs, everyone in the class had a strand of their hair examined under a microscope and we noted the differences in them - whose hair was chemically altered, whose was a natural color or not, whose was thinner or thicker. Mine was the thickest in that group of 25 people, most of which were guys. And this is back when I was relaxed and was dying my hair... my strands are thicker now than back then. :yawn:

anon123

Hard to guess... I suppose I'm in between medium and coarse. Years ago, in one of my college bio labs, everyone in the class had a strand of their hair examined under a microscope and we noted the differences in them - whose hair was chemically altered, whose was a natural color or not, whose was thinner or thicker. Mine was the thickest in that group of 25 people, most of which were guys. And this is back when I was relaxed and was dying my hair... my strands are thicker now than back then. :yawn:

have you done the "1 ply of a 2-ply sewing thread" test?

I don't know what my hair is. It is dense, but I don't know about its thickness. I think it may be fine, but not superfine like some others I have seen.

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
Type 4 and mostly coarse. There are some medium and fine strands but overall it seems pretty coarse. I'm around APL but not full.

AfroKink

What I am seeing from the results is that most type 4s have fine and medium sized hair strands. Our hair type is often called "coarse", even on this board. But it is truly fine.

Lys

chicacanella

I'm just wondering if there is a correlation of increased length with hair strand density regardless of type. I'm beginning to wonder if there are just more type 3s with coarse hair -hence the reason for Mdwezi's poll results. When I think about it, I only know of a few FOM who had fine hair, and they have ranged from 2c --> 4b. So if you could, please answer in the above poll

Well, I can't really answer your poll question but my 4a hair is not fine at all while my 3c hair is very fine. The 3d hair is kind of in the middle. My density is thick though and my hair is about MBL or WL to some.

Sapphire_chic

type 4, coarse like thread strands, dry and wiry. medium density though...i think, i havent done the hairband measurent because i think you have to straighten your hair first.