Does our type really correlate with our length? TYPE 3s!

What is your type and length?

• 3b and SL

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3b and APL

Votes: 8 4.5%
  • 3b and BSL or longer

Votes: 16 8.9%
  • 3c and SL

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • 3c and APL

Votes: 15 8.4%
  • 3c and BSL or longer

Votes: 19 10.6%
  • 3c/4a and SL

Votes: 26 14.5%
  • 3c/4a and APL

Votes: 36 20.1%
  • 3c/4a and BSL or longer

Votes: 49 27.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Junebug D

HUH??:lachen::lachen: Mwedzi, you are going to need to run your two study stats through SPSS so we can accurately interpret your findings.

Some person skilled in statistics should run the numbers through at the end, because I see a difference too. :look: I even see a difference among the 3bs and 3cs vs. 3c/4a; as well as a difference between the 4a's vs. 4a/4b & 4b's :spinning:

SEMO

Some person skilled in statistics should run the numbers through at the end, because I see a difference too. :look: I even see a difference among the 3bs and 3cs vs. 3c/4a; as well as a difference between the 4a's vs. 4a/4b & 4b's :spinning:
I volunteer you. :grin:

ETA:
Or at the least you could give us your qualitative analysis.

Junebug D

What I see in the results right now (on glance, no calculations done):

More 3bs and 3cs are BSL+ than other lengths; yet more 3c/4as are at APL than other lengths.

More 4a's are at APL than other lengths; though prob not significantly different than those at SL. More 4a/4bs are at SL than other lengths. More 4bs are also at SL than other lengths. There appears to be a statistically significant difference between the percentage of 4bs at APL as compared to the percentage of 4a/4bs at APL as well.

STLCoverGirl

I voted 3B BSL or longer. I never had hair past bsl(it was damaged and thin) until I started to really care for my hair and learn how to properly deal with it. I think everyone has hair issues, my hair is dense, but my strands are thin and don't handle heat very well. I can get split ends by just looking at my flat iron the wrong way. I have to trim a lot as opposed to someone like my sister with 4a hair...her hair "handles" heat way better than mine.

BillsBackerz67

I voted 3B BSL or longer. I never had hair past bsl(it was damaged and thin) until I started to really care for my hair and learn how to properly deal with it. I think everyone has hair issues, my hair is dense, but my strands are thin and don't handle heat very well. I can get split ends by just looking at my flat iron the wrong way. I have to trim a lot as opposed to someone like my sister with 4a hair...her hair "handles" heat way better than mine.
please I get split ends from using a darn wide tooth comb. my hair splits so easy its not even funny anymore. So becasue of that I dont trim as often:perplexed either way I'll still have split ends.

SEMO

What I see in the results right now (on glance, no calculations done):

More 3bs and 3cs are BSL+ than other lengths; yet more 3c/4as are at APL than other lengths.

More 4a's are at APL than other lengths; though prob not significantly different than those at SL. More 4a/4bs are at SL than other lengths. More 4bs are also at SL than other lengths. There appears to be a statistically significant difference between the percentage of 4bs at APL as compared to the percentage of 4a/4bs at APL as well.
I just realized we didn't factor in the relaxed vs. texlaxed vs. natural cofactors.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
Comparing numbers...there are
9 4a's with BSL or longer,
6 4b's with BSL or longer and
7 3b's with BSL or longer...
3 3c/4a's with BSL or longer.
6 4a/b's with BSL or longer.
6 4b's with BSL or longer.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I just realized we didn't factor in the relaxed vs. texlaxed vs. natural cofactors.

I'm not sure, but I think there are more 3's that are natural... That helps with growth a lot IMO.

I guess I just don't want to believe that long hair is impossible for anyone :yawn:

Junebug D

True. :yep::yep::yep: That's something I would be very interested in seeing. (since I'm contemplating relaxing to help retain length anyway... :look:)

SEMO

I'm not sure, but I think there are more 3's that are natural... That helps with growth a lot IMO.

I guess I just don't want to believe that long hair is impossible for anyone :yawn:

Me either.

My hair is the longest it's ever been. WAY longer than it ever got while I was relaxed all those years.

nichole21

You know what, that makes alot of sense. I don't know the breakdown but that may make a big difference. Its like some want to prove their hair wont grow long. :perplexed I don't know. I want to believe its possible for anyone too!

Also at this point the number of responders to the polls is completely skewed.

Its like 110 to 40. I wasn't the best at stats but I know that wouldn't make for a good study. But I do understand the intentions... I just think there are many more ladies with Type 4 hair here.

Junebug D

It's not impossible. Six 4bs at BSL+ so far. :yep: They can't all be special cases. :grin:

Junebug D

You know what, that makes alot of sense. I don't know the breakdown but that may make a big difference. Its like some want to prove their hair wont grow long. :perplexed I don't know. I want to believe its possible for anyone too!

Also at this point the number of responders to the polls is completely skewed.

Its like 110 to 40. I wasn't the best at stats but I know that wouldn't make for a good study. But I do understand the intentions... I just think there are many more ladies with Type 4 hair here.

It doesn't make for the best study, but that's why you want to look at percentages more than numbers. You do want to avoid lopsided studies, but sometimes it can't be avoided. That doesn't mean that the results are invalid when it comes to percentages.

For a lousy example... There are more white men in jail than black men simply because there are more white men in America. Yet the percentage of black men in jail is clearly disproportionate to their numbers in the general population.

nichole21

Thanks for posting those points. Good example... it helps frame my understanding.

On a forum with over 530 people currently viewing... (Not all members of course)
7 people saying they are 3b and BSL or longer
6 people saying they are 3c and BSL or longer

I personally don't think thats very telling. I don't think the numbers will ever be even, there seem to be more 4a, 4b ladies. But the numbers just arent high enough to make conclusions. I mean one can, but what is the validity of it.

Last edited:

Junebug D

Thanks for posting those points. Good example... it helps frame my understanding.

On a forum with over 530 people currently viewing... (Not all members of course)
7 people saying they are 3b and BSL or longer
6 people saying they are 3c and BSL or longer

I personally don't think thats very telling. I don't think the numbers will ever be even, there seem to be more 4a, 4b ladies. But the numbers just arent high enough to make conclusions. I mean one can, but what is the validity of it.

See, that's why the percentages matter. Of the 9 3bs who responded at all, 7 of those are BSL+. That's like 90%. Of the 11 3cs who responded, 6 of those are BSL+. That's like 55%. 90% of 3bs at BSL, vs. 55% of 3cs at BSL. That is significant.

ClassicBeauty

I'm going to vote, but I wish there was something in the poll about length of time growing. Several 3s have BSL or longer hair on this site, but we've been growing for a long time, so it's not just necessarily because of the type. People could easily misinterpret the poll.

anon123

Please, I do not want to prove type 4 hair doesn't grow long! I'm 4b and voted bsl or longer, too. Of course we know it's possible! Honestly, I was getting a little . . . peeved at some people suggesting, nay, outright saying that people who thought there was a correlation were stupid. I was annoyed at this but wondered if they were really right, if there was no correlation. There seems to be, and there's a big jump at the 4a/bs, if we do a pie chart breaking up percentages. The difference between 3bs and 4a/bs is quite large. This does not mean kinky types can't grow long hair. It means that people are not "stupid" if they've been noticing a pattern. Take into account that that difference is probably even greater outside of LHCF, where the kinkier the hair, the more the abuse it is generally given, and the difference is probably even greater. If someone notices this difference, they are not stupid. They may be generalizing too much, but they noticed a pattern that was genuinely there.

And let me reiterate that this poll makes NO claims as to why different types have different hair lengths. So while all the info about who's natural or relaxed, who's colored, who's been growing out their hair longer, etc. would be interesting for knowing why these numbers are the way they are, that's not what this poll is about. This poll is just to see if there's a correlation, it isn't meant to shed much light on why the correlation exists.

I would, though, like to get more numbers for the various hair types, especially those at the ends like 3bs and 4bs. Right now there are so few of those that voted. I wonder would the break up for those groups ever pan out like 4a/bs group did, if more people voted.

Last edited:

Ediese

Comparing numbers...there are
9 4a's with BSL or longer,

Thank goodness I'm 4a then. :yep: This is a great poll. Pretty interesting because I was almost certain 3b or 3c would have more heads with BSL or longer hair.

I voted APL btw. I was BSL.

tocktick

I do not believe type 4s like myself on this board really think it's impossible for our hair to grow long just because these threads are questioning if a correlation exists. The fact that we're on here probably means we're exposed to type 4s with long hair.

I think many simply think that type 4 is more fragile and therefore takes more work to retain length as opposed to looser textures (referring to naturals specifically). Yet, we'll still reach our goals with the right hair care as evidenced by the many long-haired type 4s in the online hair community.

LynnieB

Please, I do not want to prove type 4 hair doesn't grow long! I'm 4b and voted bsl or longer, too. Of course we know it's possible! Honestly, I was getting a little . . . peeved at some people suggesting, nay, outright saying that people who thought there was a correlation were stupid. I was annoyed at this but wondered if they were really right, if there was no correlation. There seems to be, and there's a big jump at the 4a/bs, if we do a pie chart breaking up percentages. The difference between 3bs and 4a/bs is quite large. This does not mean kinky types can't grow long hair. It means that people are not "stupid" if they've been noticing a pattern. Take into account that that difference is probably even greater outside of LHCF, where the kinkier the hair, the more the abuse it is generally given, and the difference is probably even greater. If someone notices this difference, they are not stupid. They may be generalizing too much, but they noticed a pattern that was genuinely there.

And let me reiterate that this poll makes NO claims as to why different types have different hair lengths. So while all the info about who's natural or relaxed, who's colored, who's been growing out their hair longer, etc. would be interesting for knowing why these numbers are the way they are, that's not what this poll is about. This poll is just to see if there's a correlation, it isn't meant to shed much light on why the correlation exists.

I would, though, like to get more numbers for the various hair types, especially those at the ends like 3bs and 4bs. Right now there are so few of those that voted. I wonder would the break up for those groups ever pan out like 4a/bs group did, if more people voted.

Interesting set of observations there my friend....

I think it would also be interesting to see what comes of the responses and what conclusions can or can't be made.

I wanted to participate in this (because I believe your intentions are good, not meant to be divisive at all and I like your online persona :grin:) but I honestly think my hair texture crosses into several categories. I also feel that there are many others who feel the same way as I do and it could be a reason why you may not be getting as many responses as you (and others) think you should.

Good luck sis (and your hair in your avatar is glorious!!)

CurlyMoo

I voted 3b/4a, however my hair is a combo 3b/3c/4a. The shortest layers are 4a and the longest are 3b at the nape. Interesting that I have 4a right next to the 3b and i have to comb them seperately. It looks like a bat and ball standing next to each other.

honeisos

I voted 3c bsl and longer . like some of the ladies said earlier it was no easy ride to get to this length . lots of folks think because my hair is curly that is is easy to care for and grows with no problems . this stuff coils and forms knots, breaks at the root for no reason sometimes ! i have many pictures as a preteen and young teen of my hair broken off all over and in dry puff balls all over. when i saw teri's website my heart soared because i felt like i was lookin in a mirror in all her old photos .and she gave me the hope to grow my hair out like hers one day. 3c will grow long if it is taken of and only then imo . i had a decade of sl and shorter hair to prove it . and lol it doesnt help that im a color junky lol thank goodness for henna !

Last edited:

diva24

I guess I just don't want to believe that long hair is impossible for anyone

As far as "our" hair is concerned I do believe less is more. Sadly due to the world we live in I see way more natural 3s than I do 4s.

Oodly enough on this forum 3's have shorter hair. Go figure.

I do not think it has to do with type but societal pressure to have straight hair. The curlier/kinkier your hair is the more it takes to make it straight. When I say more I mean more chemicals, heat, tension, manipulation, et cetera. Things we already know that make retaining hair harder. So in that aspect as black women who are pressured to have straight hair, yes it is harder to achieve length and have it straight when you have curlier/kinkier hair.

This does nothing but reiterate that certain hair types "have it easier," "have nothing to complain about," and "don't count because they have 'good' hair." :nono:

I guess I should give up trying to "heal the world." :ohwell::rolleyes:

Last edited:

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
As far as "our" hair is concerned I do believe less is more. Sadly due to the world we live in I see way more natural 3s than I do 4s.

Oodly enough on this forum 3's have shorter hair. Go figure.

I do not think it has to do with type but societal pressure to have straight hair. The curlier/kinkier your hair is the more it takes to make it straight. When I say more I mean more chemicals, heat, tension, manipulation, et cetera. Things we already know that make retaining hair harder. So in that aspect as black women who are pressured to have straight hair, yes it is harder to achieve length and have it straight when you have curlier/kinkier hair.

This does nothing but reiterate that certain hair types "have it easier," "have nothing to complain about," and "don't count because they have 'good' hair." :nono:

I guess I should give up trying to "heal the world." :ohwell::rolleyes:

ITA :yep:

When 3 hair is "allowed" to be in its natural state it's less damaged = more growth/retention.
The same goes for type 4 hair. It's just that 3 hair is seen by many as more acceptable in your country.

Even so, my hair had so much breakage and split ends when I was younger :nono: I had to go online to learn how to take care of my hair and then I was past 25! And even with all the new information, my hair was never longer than BSL. I always did something to set my hair back. My hair hasn't been "super long" until I was past 35! :grin:

That's how long it took for my hair to grow this long.
I wouldn't call that fast or easy LOL!!!