*****MY DOMINICAN DISASTER*****

I recently told you all about my Dominican experience and how pleased I was with the results.
Well, that was all before I decided to wash my hair last night.
As soon water hit my hair a terrible burnt smell filled the shower and my hair was not reverting like it usually does.
I washed it and conditioned it and as I de-tangled it with my fingers, clumps of hair fell out.
SO was in the shower with me and he had to pry my fingers out of my hair while I was screaming and crying. (He knows all about LHCF and my obsession with my hair).

So I did an overnight protein treatment and my hair is still limp and dead. It looks like I had a bad perm, some pieces are stick straight and some pieces are wavy. My thick, bouncy and curly natural hair is ruined and as of today I am starting my second transition. 2 years of growing my hair out and being diligent and protecting my hair....down the MF-ing drain.

I am do disappionted and totally devastated.
I don't want to post any pictures at this point because my almost APL natural hair is gone and I don't need any forther reminder of mo how effed up my hair is.

I just hope that if you are considering doing a DB, think long and hard, and never underestimate the damage heat can do to your hair.

Demi27

OMG!
I am so sorry this happened to you. I know you must be a wreck.

Do you know exactly what products she may have put on your hair (to avoid them...or do you think it might have been strictly from heat)?

Starronda

At the start of BSL! Patiently waiting for full❤️
OMG! I'm SO sorry this has happen to you. Do you think it was the heat or the products that was used on your hair? I feel so bad for you, but you'll get through this.

OMG!
I am so sorry this happened to you. I know you must be a wreck.

Do you know exactly what products she may have put on your hair (to avoid them...or do you think it might have been strictly from heat)?

She used heat protectant, but no heat protectant in the world could prevent my hair from damage after all the heat they use.
Just because your hair is 100% natural doesn't mean it's unbreakable. Our hair is still very fragile.

nikki2229

Sorry that you are you going through this.
Dominican blowouts are known to be pretty heat heavy but I didn't think that it could ruin someone's hair after one visit.
Thank you for warning us and I am sure your hair will bounce back in no time.

prettynatural

Think, Do, Be
I am sorry! I have a similiar experience.

I had to cut about 3 inches of my hair because I tried to flat iron it in November and I use heat protectant and my hair really didn't get very straight but my hair was fried. I have been natural for many years but I wanted to try it out and I learned my lesson, NO HEAT. If I want a straight look I go for wigs to keep my beautiful hair intake. I rarely wear a straight style, ( wig) so preserving my curls, kinks, naps are of the most important.

It will grow back very soon! Hang in there.

CurlyMoo

I'm sorry to hear this MissNorway. Is there anything you can put in your hair that will make it shrink up like a conditioner that does the opposite of stretching curls? Maybe if you saturate your hair with that and leave it in for a while.

She used to much heat. I think you should call the salon and tell them what happened. Get your money back or maybe they can fix the problem.

naturalmanenyc

OMG!!! I'm so sorry that this happened. I have been there, with DH trying to get me to stop crying over clumps of my hair falling out after a weave take down that we did together. We even called my former stylist to figure out how to get the knots/tangles out (didn't detangle BEFORE washing).

There really are Dominican Salons that care about the health of hair and do not use such tremendous amounts of heat. Unfortunately we have to weed through the bad salons first.

I recall another poster had a bad Dominican Salon experience and it took a few washes for her curls to come back....so all the straight pieces may not be a total loss.

I recently told you all about my Dominican experience and how pleased I was with the results.
Well, that was all before I decided to wash my hair last night.
As soon water hit my hair a terrible burnt smell filled the shower and my hair was not reverting like it usually does.
I washed it and conditioned it and as I de-tangled it with my fingers, clumps of hair fell out.
SO was in the shower with me and he had to pry my fingers out of my hair while I was screaming and crying. (He knows all about LHCF and my obsession with my hair).

So I did an overnight protein treatment and my hair is still limp and dead. It looks like I had a bad perm, some pieces are stick straight and some pieces are wavy. My thick, bouncy and curly natural hair is ruined and as of today I am starting my second transition. 2 years of growing my hair out and being diligent and protecting my hair....down the MF-ing drain.

I am do disappionted and totally devastated.
I don't want to post any pictures at this point because my almost APL natural hair is gone and I don't need any forther reminder of mo how effed up my hair is.

I just hope that if you are considering doing a DB, think long and hard, and never underestimate the damage heat can do to your hair.

Austro-Afrikana

Omg i really feel for you...i guess you just can't trust stylists with the health of your hair, just the style.
Try a reconstructor treatment. Affirm 5in1 is very good. I don't know if it will help but it's worth a try.
I hope you get your hair back on track x

laurend

Sorry it happened to you the same thing happened to me in 1997. I went to the Eygptian shop (Yehia) in Chicago and they straightened my hair with a lot of heat. My hair broke off a week later. My hubby was the first to noticed and asked me what's going on with my hair. I was upset but I learned a lesson that my mom told me about my hair when I was a little girl. I should have listened to her. She would say "your hair is very thick and that fools people that they can put a hot comb through your hair, don't let them do it". I decided to wear braids for 6 months until my hair grew back. Back then, there was no info on natural hair or LHCF. To this day, I haven't had anyone straighten my hair and I haven't straighten it. I'm still tramatized by that experience. It will grow back by Christmas and you will be rocking your beautiful afro.

Last edited:

ycj

My heart goes out to you, especially since you've transitioned for the past 2 yrs! But you are a trooper! You will get through this with the knowledge of what never to go through again. You have beautiful hair in the first place and with your diligence and patience your hair will be back healthy in no time. Just hang in there!!!! OK:grin::yep:

Mimi22

whoa!!! thats horrible!
Heat damage that bad needs HUGE care and repair. I'm sorry Miss Norway, I remember my heat damage experience! I hope you dont have to resort to the scissors!! Think of the many solutions here on LHCF and hopefully something will pop those curls back!!

HTH !

loulou82

Aww man. Sorry this happened. You seemed so satisfied in you DB thread. How many times have you tried washing and dc'ing your hair? I had a flat iron job that left me with very straight pieces but some of my hair recuperated after 2 DCs.

*Muffin*

I'm so sorry this happened to you! I would make that salon pay! It might not be her fault, but I want to blame your salonist! The girl's technique was probably jacked up. Your hair was healthy and beautiful. She obviously did it in a wa that was very damaging :(.

RadiantBeauty

MissNorway I am soooo sorry this happened to you! All I can do is......:bighug::hug2::hug2::grouphug::runninghug::hug2::grouphug2: With your strength and determination I know your hair will be beautiful:yep:

laurend

I am sorry! I have a similiar experience.

I had to cut about 3 inches of my hair because I tried to flat iron it in November and I use heat protectant and my hair really didn't get very straight but my hair was fried. I have been natural for many years but I wanted to try it out and I learned my lesson, NO HEAT. If I want a straight look I go for wigs to keep my beautiful hair intake. I rarely wear a straight style, ( wig) so preserving my curls, kinks, naps are of the most important.

It will grow back very soon! Hang in there.

I think there are some people who don't take heat that well even with heat protectants. I'm one of these people also. I would love to to straighten my hair but why take the chance. I was getting the bug to get it flat-ironed but MissNorway's experience has stopped me and the straighting bug is gone.:ohwell:

Last edited:

Reinventing21

Spreading my wings
Oh NO!! I am SO SORRY! Don't give up! Can you try the cholesterol method (heard works to pop the curls) or the Suave method (love) or maybe Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 leave in (my favorite) to get that moisture back in ASAP!

laurend

I'm so sorry this happened to you! I would make that salon pay! It might not be her fault, but I want to blame your salonist! The girl's technique was probably jacked up. Your hair was healthy and beautiful. She obviously did it in a wa that was very damaging :(.

It might not be her fault. There are people on this board were their hair might have been fine. My girlfriend is one. Every two weeks she goes to the Egyptians and her hair is beautiful. My hair would be on the floor.

Tamrin

unapologetic
:bighug:Im so sorry that happened to you. It happened to me 2 weeks ago. You could smell the burnt scent in my hair. They used heat protectant too. The reason is the run they blow dryer less than an inch away from the hair up and down. You need to go back to co-washing and letting it dry naturally for a while.

I put on some SP Keratin oil and did a professional Aveda treatment last week. I have been moisturizing like a mad woman. That is what is saving me right now. Never again. My hair can no longer handle extreme heat. Roller sets and wraps are all it can take.

Don't get discouraged it will get better.

Last edited:

SUPER SWEET

I'm really sorry to hear this.:sad: because I almost went to try the blowout by looking at your end result. Now I know I better not even attempt that.
I know you can baby your hair back to health, i know you can. All the best. E.