HELP - HAIR DISASTER

NappyNelle said:
I'm also sorry this happened to you OP. It was indeed caused by heat damage, not the relaxer. If you want to relax your hair in the future, you have to be sure that your natural hair is as healthy as possible by prepping your hair adequately for heat services.

ETA: We can definitely help you get your hair back on track. I hope my post did not come across scoldingly.

What could she have done differently to prep? Asking because what happened is mind boggling to me. Her hair looks so thick and healthy in her pics. Is there anything she could have done to relax it without the damage that happened?

Also does anyone think a licensed hairstylist would have been able to predict and avoid this damage?

Last edited:
neutralize again and do a protein and moisture treatment asap. trim and dust your ends. try roller setting.

what was the strength of the relaxer?

What could she have done differently to prep? Asking because what happened is mind boggling to me. Her hair looks so thick and healthy in her pics. Is there anything she could have done to relax it without the damage that happened?

Also does anyone think a licensed hairstylist would have been able to predict and avoid this damage?

if she had damage prior, the stylist would have saw that and would have avoided doing a chemical service until her hair was in much better health.

From what you just said! That sounds exactly like what it was. Her curl pattern was also not normal and all spots that were, are the ones that fell out. I was so panicked, so I understand your delimma. :(

:bighug:

So sorry this happened. Just get a half wig for now. Think of a way you normally like to wear your hair, or something different to make you feel better. :grouphug:

You learn something new every day - heat damaged natural hair will fall out at the roots if relaxed...damn, i'm definitely gonna remember this.

Sorry this happened to you OP, but you look like you have the right features for a cute short crop, so u'll be fine.

Yes, I've been deep conditioning and I did the Aphogee 2-step protein treatment. It hasn't been shedding anymore, but I haven't really manipulated it much. It's so damaged. It's really awful. I cut some of the scraggly ends off myself, because it was so raggedy. I'm going to a consultation tomorrow to see if I can get a sew-in, or should, she's going to tell me what she suggests and at worst, she'll cut it for me and have me looking human. I am going to look into the 3/4 wigs AND I'm ordering a Huetiful steamer tonight so that I can give it steam treatments. I hope it grows back. That's my biggest fear, that I'll have this thin, spaced out hair forever. I'm traumatized right now.

Do watch the steam with melted hair...it will make it soggy and break again. High protein and cut with proper moisture to prevent snapping.

I agree that a weave may be too much tension right now. If you want to buy a 3/4 wig rather than make it (my personal preference) try Exotic Hair LA (hair company). I just bought my first one from them and am so thankful because I hated the process of making a wig, even though I loved the result. If wigs aren't for you then try the "net" weave process where your hair is braided like normal, a net is sewn to the perimeter braids but instead of sewing the wefts to the net and your hair, sew it just to the net alone. That way there is no tension or stress on your real hair.

That's so sad, especially since you said relaxers didn't break your hair off previously. good luck!

I actually don't have anything to add, it seems like the other ladies have given you some good advice just sorry this happened to you. I know you are really upset but it will get better. :sunshine:

Hair "melting" off your head and just falling off? That doesn't sound like heat damage. I used to flat iron my hair everyday while I was relaxed (and overlapping) and never had an experience like this. It sounds like a bad relaxer or the base was not properly mixed (or whatever you call it). I hope you can baby your hair and get it back on track. A full wig is a good way to hide your hair away until healthy enough to wear.

Last edited:
OP I am so sorry this happened to you! If you want your hair to grow back, you are better off to cut it now and start over...you could spend the next year trying to nurse it back to health or you could spend the next year growing out a short cut and having all healthy new hair. Trust me, Ive been there trying to salvage jacked up hair for the sake of length, and looking back I could have had a nice cut that looked 100% better and have grown it out in about the same amount of time it took to ever look decent again. Good luck and come back and let us know what you decide to do and what happens at your consultation tomorrow.

Heat damage definetley needs to be cut off it can't be reverted to its healthy state,been there done that,once your hair will go back to being natural, it ll grow back in no time .

Last edited:
I am sooooo sorry!!! I was tearing up reading your replies:sad:

I think you should go to the salon & get a nice cut & then start from there. When I cut my hair to my ears (for style & shedding), I was kinda in shocked. Wigs definetly helped w/ my insecurities.

Your hair will grow back:yep: Be patient & stay strong!

Could you post pics? Maybe you won't have to cut too much off.

I'm so sorry this happened to you OP! Go somewhere and treat yourself to a nice conditioning treatment, cute cut and look forward to a future healthy hair. Half wigs are great and the least damaging imho (just beware of tight comb attachments).

***And for future reference... strand tests my friends, strand tests and protein treatments before ANY chemical service!***

I think you should go to the salon & get a nice cut & then start from there. When I cut my hair to my ears (for style & shedding), I was kinda in shocked. Wigs definetly helped w/ my insecurities.

Girl I refuse to be seen like this!!! LOL I can't post a pic, I didn't even let the boyfriend see it. It's just too shocking. And no more heat or chemicals for me!!!

I'm also sorry this happened to you OP. It was indeed caused by heat damage, not the relaxer. If you want to relax your hair in the future, you have to be sure that your natural hair is as healthy as possible by prepping your hair adequately for heat services.

ETA: We can definitely help you get your hair back on track. I hope my post did not come across scoldingly.
Not at all! I need to be scolded. Well maybe not when I posted this, because I was distraught and devastated. But I'm better now. I realize that it's "just hair" and it will grow back - God I PRAY it grows back *silent prayer* I'm ready to get this sew-in out (after 2 days) and just rock it natural, though after having HAIR my whole life the thought of a TWA scares the heck out of me!!! Yes, please help me get it on track (no pun intended) I'm going to buy a Huetiful steamer next week. I'll keep you posted!

Not at all! I need to be scolded. Well maybe not when I posted this, because I was distraught and devastated. But I'm better now. I realize that it's "just hair" and it will grow back - God I PRAY it grows back *silent prayer* I'm ready to get this sew-in out (after 2 days) and just rock it natural, though after having HAIR my whole life the thought of a TWA scares the heck out of me!!! Yes, please help me get it on track (no pun intended) I'm going to buy a Huetiful steamer next week. I'll keep you posted!
PrimeExample
What happened at the salon? Did she cut it? How are you wearing your hair now? Hope your hair does a quick turnaround...has the breakage stopped? Once you get it under control your hair should recover...in 6 months time you could have at least 3 inches of growth back. Hang in there!

Hair "melting" off your head and just falling off? That doesn't sound like heat damage. I used to flat iron my hair everyday while I was relaxed (and overlapping) and never had an experience like this. It sounds like a bad relaxer or the base was not properly mixed (or whatever you call it). I hope you can baby your hair and get it back on track. A full wig is a good way to hide your hair away until healthy enough to wear.
Virtuenow - Heat damage was the issue. I relaxed my hair (did it myself and went to salons) for 30 years, got my hair done by Dominicans with the hooded dryer and then blow dryer (no flat iron) for 20 years, I have colored, rinsed, and done everything imaginable with my hair, and this has never happened. As for it being improperly mixed - that's impossible since there was no "mixture" to mix. I used a normal strength, like I always did. The only difference was that my hair was pretty much virgin and was definitely heat damaged, since my curl pattern was disrupted. At the end of the day, what I realize is that the hair that I tried to relax was not the hair that I once relaxed since all of that hair was chopped off in the big chop. Whether it's time, or age, or whatever, I don't know, but my hair was different and could no longer tolerate the relaxer, particularly on hair that was already heat-damaged. So that's the answer that rings true with me. Thanks for your input.

PrimeExample
What happened at the salon? Did she cut it? How are you wearing your hair now? Hope your hair does a quick turnaround...has the breakage stopped? Once you get it under control your hair should recover...in 6 months time you could have at least 3 inches of growth back. Hang in there!
I went to the Salon and they said the hair remaining is not bad at the root, it's the ends that are awful. so they braided it up (didn't cut it yet) and put in a sew-in - which I HATE!!! I never did weaves, so I didn't know what I was doing, but I bought 12" and 14" - WAAAAY too long for me. It looked so comical. I had to cut it shorter like just past my shoulders. I made sure they didn't braid too tight, or sew too tight, and it's comfortable, no pain or pulling, but I hate it because it's just so fake. LOL I'm going to see if I can last a month with it in, because my hair grows about an inch a month (FAST!) so I'm hoping if I have a good inch under there, that I can just chop all the relaxed damaged hair off, steam it with the Huetiful steamer and just love it back. *sigh* Oh and I think I'll buy a curly half wig in case I can't take the TWA. LOL

Sorry this happened to you OP! The same thing happened to me when I got my first relaxer at 15. I would say just rock it short and nurture it back to health. Wish you the best!
Yeah - that's what I'm going to do. It's amazing how much one's self-esteem can be tied into something seemingly as inconsequential as hair. Thank you so much. =)

So sorry to hear. But time is the only thing that grows hair. So just set mini-goals and try not compare to your old hair growing. People get 6 inches in a year on this board by doing a strict regmine. So get ready to start growing!

Are you going to a beautician or just start fresh yourself?
How is your scalp? Any tingles, scabs ect....

I'm so sorry this happened to you OP! Go somewhere and treat yourself to a nice conditioning treatment, cute cut and look forward to a future healthy hair. Half wigs are great and the least damaging imho (just beware of tight comb attachments).

***And for future reference... strand tests my friends, strand tests and protein treatments before ANY chemical service!***
I will, once I get this weave out. Uggh. I will never do a weave again!!! =( Booo... It's just not me... literally. =)

Thank you so much for your kind words!!! =) I cried for like 3 days, but I'm okay. I think it will be a shock to have no hair on my head, but my hair has always been a self-esteem security blanket!!! It might be good to walk the wire without the safety net for a while. We'll see.

So sorry to hear. But time is the only thing that grows hair. So just set mini-goals and try not compare to your old hair growing. People get 6 inches in a year on this board by doing a strict regmine. So get ready to start growing!

Are you going to a beautician or just start fresh yourself?
How is your scalp? Any tingles, scabs ect....
My hair has always grown superfast, like almost an inch a month, so I'm hoping it continues to grow at that rate. I'm taking Biotin and B-complex, but no, no scabs, no tingles. Just waiting. That's all.

Back