Keisha Knight Pulliam aka "Rudy" doesn't have a relaxer...

Dove56

That is what she said in the Sophisticates Black Hair with Michelle Obama on the cover. She said she flat irons it and wears it "curly" in the summer. Her hair is always so pretty and she had a ton of hair on the Cosby Show. My hair is 3b/c and only with the help of Sabino Moisture Block (transitioning) is the new growth staying straight. How is she getting (assuming she's being truthful) her 4a/b hair to remain straight from flatironing and not relaxing?

slimting

My sister doesn't have a relaxer either, but after years of pressing it, it stays straight now. She flat irons it after she washes it and it looks just like a relaxer.

joyandfaith

I am actually of the belief that it's a little easier for 4a/b's to keep their hair straight once its flat ironed. I have 3c hair and I swear that it snatches any little moisture molecule out of the air and curls up at the roots. This is great for wearing your hair in a wash'n go, but a beast for trying to keep it straight. My sister has 4a hair and its the prettiest thing ever when its flat-ironed. It hangs heavy and straight, where mine is a cotton candy puff.

Last edited:

Bint Yusef

Its a possibility her hair is heat trained. She flat irons so much and so frequently.

But I dont think how straight it remains has much to do with the hair type, there are just so many other facts in the technique it could be too.

What flat iron are using and how hot? Are you stretching your hair before you flat iron?

Evazhair

She always did have nice hair even as a little girl. People with 4a/b hair can have presses that stay straight, I've seen it all my life. It's all in the technique and products I believe. I always thought she was natural, but don't know for sure. I do know people that press their hair that looks like hers though.

Evazhair

I am actually of the belief that it's a little easier for 4a/b's to keep their hair straight once its flat ironed. I have 3c hair and I swear that it snatches any little moisture molecule out of the air and curls up at the roots. This is great for wearing you hair in a wash'n go, but a beast for trying to keep it straight. My sister has 4a hair and its the prettiest thing ever when its flat-ironed. It hangs heavy and straight, where mine is a cotton candy puff.

ITA. Yep, the bolded would be me.

kybaby

well i know from experience flat ironing overtime tends to straighten ur hair.. my curl pattern even changes.. when my hair is in its curly state i have straight pieces from flat ironing too much. idk maybe its the same with keyshia's hair.

Black Hoya Chick

i didn't think she did. her hair has always been crazy. there are just some people who think that hair cannot get that silky straight without a relaxer.

guitan25

It's all in the flat ironing technique.

When my stylist straigtens my hair,I can make it last 2 weeks with no reversion.(I am all natural 4a/b).

If I do it myself, it lasts all of 20 mins:perplexed.

She probably just has a really good stylist.

Covergirl5906

I've been watching the Cosby Show reruns lately....I was saying the other day that I didn't even realize back then how much hair she had....my goodness that girl had a head of hair....

Anyway I believe her...the right tools, products, and technique can make natural hair just as straight as relaxed hair...

Dove56

Its a possibility her hair is heat trained. She flat irons so much and so frequently.

But I dont think how straight it remains has much to do with the hair type, there are just so many other facts in the technique it could be too.

What flat iron are using and how hot? Are you stretching your hair before you flat iron?

Bint,

I use a Chi Ultra flat iron I believe it's 410 degrees (there's no adjustable setting). I've been stretching forever and I swear I'm about to break down and slap another ORS relaxer on my head! I relaxed my hair in Oct/Nov 2007 after being natural about 9 years. I was on hiatus at the gym :lachen: (it's not funny really...lol) but recently went back and all the sweating is puffing my new growth!

I always thought if a person had a loose curl pattern it would stay straight longer. My hair is medium textured and very strong, I don't know if it's possible for it to ever become heat trained because the curls snap right back. :wallbash:

I wish Keisha would spill the beans about the technique and everything because I love her hair!

Dove56

i didn't think she did. her hair has always been crazy. there are just some people who think that hair cannot get that silky straight without a relaxer.

I know it can get very silky straight without being relaxed, but I just want to know how do you get it to stay. She said she puts it in a ponytail when she works out and doesn't use any heat (she wraps it) on it after she intially flat-irons it until the next wash.

Maybe I just need to break out the gel and leave-in and just wear it curly. My hair looks texturized if I wash and wear, instead of relaxed, because I still have sooo much curl in my hair but the relaxed "curly" hair will not revert in the rain or humidity.

Last edited:

Bint Yusef

Bint,

I use a Chi Ultra flat iron I believe it's 410 degrees (there's no adjustable setting). I've been stretching forever and I swear I'm about to break down and slap another ORS relaxer on my head! I relaxed my hair in Oct/Nov 2007 after being natural about 9 years. I was on hiatus at the gym :lachen: (it's not funny really...lol) but recently went back and all the sweating is puffing my new growth!

I always thought if a person had a loose curl pattern it would stay straight longer. My hair is medium textured and very strong, I don't know if it's possible for it to ever become heat trained because the curls snap right back. :wallbash:

I wish Keisha would spill the beans about the technique and everything because I love her hair!
Hey Beautiful, that is not the case. I am a 3b/c and my hair cant even get straight with a relaxer:lachen:It is completely resistant( I have heard other type 3s say the same thing). I can get it relaxer straight with the Maxiglide and its because of the teeth. I have a Chi that is of no good to me. Maxiglide is the only thing that works on my hair. It stays pretty straight as long as I dont sweat. I dont know what to tell you sis. I really think her hair stays(during work outs) because it is heat trained.

guitan25

I know it can get very silky straight without being relaxed, but I just want to know how do you get it to stay. She said she puts it in a ponytail when she works out and doesn't use any heat (she wraps it) on it after she intially flat-irons it until the next wash.

Maybe I just need to break out the gel and leave-in and just wear it curly. My hair looks texturized if I wash and wear, instead of relaxed, because I still have sooo much curl in my hair but the relaxed "curly" hair will not revert in the rain or humidity.

The bolded is exactly what I do to keep my hair from reverting. It works wonderfully:yep:

jamaicalovely

I agree with you ladies that it is all in the tools, products and technique. And in some cases ...the stylist! Does anyone know who is her stylist?

omnipadme

well i know from experience flat ironing overtime tends to straighten ur hair.. my curl pattern even changes.. when my hair is in its curly state i have straight pieces from flat ironing too much. idk maybe its the same with keyshia's hair.

Flat ironing ruins my curls, they turn into a frizzy mess after washing. Its rollersetting only for straightness.

luxe.li.

That is what she said in the Sophisticates Black Hair with Michelle Obama on the cover. She said she flat irons it and wears it "curly" in the summer. Her hair is always so pretty and she had a ton of hair on the Cosby Show. My hair is 3b/c and only with the help of Sabino Moisture Block (transitioning) is the new growth staying straight. How is she getting (assuming she's being truthful) her 4a/b hair to remain straight from flatironing and not relaxing?

I believe she's telling the truth. Its not really too unbelievable that her hair stays straight she probably has an amazing straightening regimen or stylists that keep her hair in good shape.

My hair stays straight when I flat iron, actually it only acts crazy in humid humid weather meaning its actually raining outside, or when I go to the club and sweat it out.

Dove56

Hey Beautiful, that is not the case. I am a 3b/c and my hair cant even get straight with a relaxer:lachen:It is completely resistant( I have heard other type 3s say the same thing). I can get it relaxer straight with the Maxiglide and its because of the teeth. I have a Chi that is of no good to me. Maxiglide is the only thing that works on my hair. It stays pretty straight as long as I dont sweat. I dont know what to tell you sis. I really think her hair stays(during work outs) because it is heat trained.

My hair won't get straight with a relaxer either. There's a thread I started about a year talking about that. I had to relax my natural hair 4 TIMES to get it "straight" then it curled right back up!! So now my relaxed "curly" hair is 3A but my natural kinks are 3b/c (more c than b).

I guess the relaxed hair could be heat trained but the natural hair is a something else. I'm going to try the Maxiglide with the Sabino Moisture Block and if that doesn't work, I'm going to take it as a sign that my hair isn't meant to be straight...lol. I'll give up the flatiron but I'm NOT giving up the gym again cause I packed on 7 pounds!

ShaniKeys

My sister bought me the SBH mag :woot: It was interesting to read about Keisha's hair regimen. I also liked how Michelle O's hair dresser kept repeating that she doesn't wear weaves and has never worn one in her life lol.

anon123

I'm telling y'all, a pressing comb really is superior to a flat ironing for straightening precisely because it has teeth. You have to be careful with it, though.

btw, i'm 4b and my presses stayed until washed. i was in a drier climate, though. but even when i had it last pressed in 2001 that was in chicago in the fall and it still stayed until i washed it and i know i was not heat trained at that time.

dynamic1

When I lived in Atlanta, there were many naturals that were able to maintain silky straight presses (flat iron). I saw the salon magic happen many times.

Miss*Tress

I noticed in a general way that my type 4 friends have fewer problems with frizz than I do (I'm type 3) and their hair remains straighter in humid conditions than mine.

trj1922

I am actually of the belief that it's a little easier for 4a/b's to keep their hair straight once its flat ironed. I have 3c hair and I swear that it snatches any little moisture molecule out of the air and curls up at the roots. This is great for wearing your hair in a wash'n go, but a beast for trying to keep it straight. My sister has 4a hair and its the prettiest thing ever when its flat-ironed. It hangs heavy and straight, where mine is a cotton candy puff.

AMEN!!!! :lachen::lachen::lachen:

I notice this too! I remember our childhood press-n-curls. The 3c cousins like me found that our hair may have been easier to straighten but the 4a/b cousins didn't have such a beast of a time keeping it straight. We couldn't even think about water or our porous cottony curls would start to frizz and puff up. :rolleyes:

Solitude

At first I was skeptical, but her hair always looks so pretty and healthy. Plus, she has had the advantage of being able to get her hair professionally straightened for most of her life, if she chose to.

Solitude

My sister bought me the SBH mag :woot: It was interesting to read about Keisha's hair regimen. I also liked how Michelle O's hair dresser kept repeating that she doesn't wear weaves and has never worn one in her life lol.

Yeah, I noticed that, too. He also didn't touch that relaxer subject. Regardless, her hair is beautiful and so is Keisha's! :yep: