Non-sulfate search

alireno

Just got back from Sally. Wal-Mart, and K-Mart. I was looking for shampoos that did not contain sulfates. I never paid any attention to that stuff before I became a member here. Could someone please tell me which shampoos do not have them in it? Oh, and please also tell me what it is that sulfates do to the hair. I know it is something bad. /images/graemlins/look.gif

CICI24

Cream of Nature you should be able to get this from Sally's or Walmart there are others but you would have to go to a health food store to purchase them like Aubrey organics, Jasons, African Formula, Dr. Bronners are just a few. You can also order them online

Katrine

I think a lot of people try to avoid sulfates because they can be quite harsh and drying. Some people think there are health hazards and are trying to avoid all chemicals.

As Cici said you can find alot of them in health food stores. They can be a bit more expensive though and you will seldom get that really squecy (sp?) clean feeling with them. A good cleanser to look for will be a corn (decyl polyglucose I think) shampoo. Its gentle and clean really well.

-Katrine

mirrormirror

Creme of Nature shampoo is the best shampoo, it it does not contain sulfates and it is very effective. It is also at very good price, under $4.00. You can get that at any beauty supply or convenient store.

Tracy

My beloved Lanza Protein Plus Shampoo also does not contain sulfates. I agree that this ingredient may or may not be a problem. Some people are mroe sensitive to this than others. I happened to fall in love with a shampoo that didn't have them and considered it an added benefit as opposed to an absolute. Try some that don't have them and see what happens on your hair by comparing the outcome to washing with shampoos that do have them.

The Lanza, as well as any of the other choices listed above, are all great options.

londongirl3

Neutrogena healthy hair shampoo does not have any sulphates/sulfates. It is recommended for dry itchy scalps but works well on any head and can be used daily (If you really want to!! /images/graemlins/look.gif)

canuck

avalon shampoos and body washes do not use sulphates. Nor does aubrey's organics. I can verify for the avalon shampoos, though veeery mild. Even though, among us, me thinks the shampoo and the body wash are the same. I can recommend it being really clean and light, but no real moisturizing benefits.

Nyambura

surfer girl
I like Elucence shampoo, which is also sulfate-free. I believe that Clairol's Herbal Essence's Fruit Fusions line is also sulfate-free. I love the Fruit Fusions because (1) it makes my hair happy but (2) it's inexpensive /images/graemlins/clap.gif and (3) available just about everywhere.

HTH,
Nyambura

Tara

I know that Mastey is one brand that does not contain sulfates. This you could find at a beauty supply.

Their web page with the shampoos

I did use the Mastey Shampoo about 4 years ago, I can't remember my "verdict" on it though. But it's one of the shampoos I know that do not contain any sulfates.

Jade21

Here are a few more:

**Gary Null's Heavenly Hair Cleanser(decyl polyglucose, very moisturizing...lots of aloe)
**Abundan't Earth's Natural and Organic Shampoo (decyl polyglucose, available in two formulas and by the gallon)
**EO Products Shampoos (combo formula, very gentle, much like Avalon Organics products)
**Giovanni 50/50 Balanced shampoo (most moisturizing formula)

~Jade~

fine_beauty

Jesus, I Trust In You!
Ladies,
I do love Creme of Nature's detangling shampoo but /images/graemlins/confused.gif it does contain sulphates.
The list of contents are:
WATER. TRIDECETH-7 CARBOKYLIC ACID. DECYL POLYGLYCOSIDE. SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE. GLYCOL STEARATE. POLYQUATERNUM-10. ALOE BARBADENSIS EXTRACT. HYDROLYZED MILK PROTEIN. HONEY. LEMON EXTRACT. WHEAT GERM OIL. BALSAM CANADA. PECTIN. LECITHIN. FENNEL EXTRACT. BUCHU EXTRACT.MYRRH ECTRACT. MARJORAM EXTRACT. ORRIS EXTRACT. SODIUM HYDROXIDE. FRAGRANCE. DISOCIUM EDIA. METHLPARABEN. PROPYLPARABEN. QUATERNIUM-15. METHYLCHLOROISOTHIAZOLINONE. METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE. RED 4. YELLOW 5. RED 33. BLUE 1

mirrormirror

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
myhairsos said:
Ladies,
I do love Creme of Nature's detangling shampoo but /images/graemlins/confused.gif it does contain sulphates.
WATER. TRIDECETH-7 CARBOKYLIC ACID. DECYL POLYGLYCOSIDE. SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE. GLYCOL STEARATE. POLYQUATERNUM-10. ALOE BARBADENSIS EXTRACT. HYDROLYZED MILK PROTEIN. HONEY. LEMON EXTRACT. WHEAT GERM OIL. BALSAM CANADA. PECTIN. LECITHIN. FENNEL EXTRACT. BUCHU EXTRACT.MYRRH ECTRACT. MARJORAM EXTRACT. ORRIS EXTRACT. SODIUM HYDROXIDE. FRAGRANCE. DISOCIUM EDIA. METHLPARABEN. PROPYLPARABEN. QUATERNIUM-15. METHYLCHLOROISOTHIAZOLINONE. METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE. RED 4. YELLOW 5. RED 33. BLUE 1
The Cream of Nature shampoo that I have does not contain any sulfates and it does not have sodim hydroxide in it either. The bottle I have is cream colored with red writing. Im guessing you have the new formula, I have heard that they have changed the formula.

[/ QUOTE ]

mirrormirror

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
myhairsos said:
Ladies,

The Cream of Nature shampoo that I have does not contain any sulfates and it does not have sodim hydroxide in it either. The bottle I have is cream colored with red writing. Im guessing you have the new formula, I have heard that they have changed the formula.

[/ QUOTE ]

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
They have all these different formulas, new bottles, old bottles, etc.... It's confusing. The bottles I have look like this:
CON Shampoo

The green label (ultra moisturizing) and the red label (regular formula) don't have sulfates. I'm not sure if mine are the new formulas or the old ones... IIRC, both the regular and the ultra moist. have the same ingredients:

Water Aqua , Trideceth-7 Carboxylic Acid , Decyl Polyglycoside , Glycol Stearate , Polyquaternium-10 , Aloe Barbadensis Extract Aloe Barbadensis , Hydrolyzed Milk Protein , Honey Mel , Lemon Extract Citrus Limonum , Wheat Germ Oil Triticum Vulgare , Balsam Canada Abies Balsamea , Pectin , Lecithin , Fennel Extract Foeniculum Vulgare , Buchu Extract Baroma Betulina , Myrrh Extract Commiphora Myrrha , Marjoram Extract Origanum Majorana , Orris Extract Iris Florentina , Sodium Hydroxide , Fragrance Parfum , Disodium EDTA , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Quaternium-15 , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone , Red 4 CI 14700 , Yellow 5 CI 19140 , Red 33 CI 17200 , Blue 1 CI 42090

I was in Wal-Mart and the Ultra Moist. formula was in a bright yellow bottle with green writing. /images/graemlins/confused.gif I'm not sure if this is the old packaging or the new...

Jade21

It must also vary according to where you live in terms of what is offered and HOW.

The only way I could distinguish was between the Professional and what you get at like a drugstore. The drugstores in my area all carry the "new" formula, BUT there is NO listing of sodium lauryl sulfate. The Professional formulas are available at beauty supply stores. All of them are the "old formulas", with the only difference being that the red bottle is red/cream and the green bottle is green/cream.

The Trideceth-7 Carboxylic Acid is a very gentle cleansing agent compared to SLS or ALS. Same thing with the decyl polyglucoside.

~Jade~

mirrormirror

Since everybody is listing ingredients, here are the ingredients of the Creme of Nature shampoo that I have:(cream colored bottled with red writing)
Water*tridiceth -7*carboxylic acid* disodium cocoamphodipropionate*polyquaternium-10*glycol sterate*aloe extract*hydrolyzed milk protein*honey*lemon extract*wheat germ oil*balsam canada*pectin*lecithin*fennel extract*sage extract*yarow extract*fragrance*disodium EDTA*methylparaben*propylparaben*quarterium-15*methylchloroisothiazolinone*methylisothiazolinone*fd&amp;c red #4*fd&amp;c yellow#5*fd&amp;c red#33

hairfanatic

Hi Alireno,

Other shampoos that don't contain SLS are Aubrey Oraganics Jay Shampoo. And below are a few of my favorites.

Earthly Delight Tropical Rain Shampoo -
$14.95 16 fl. oz. If you have a Whole Foods in your area, they sell it.

Ingredients: Distilled water, sage, rosemary, nettles, wheatgerm soap, horsetails, essential oils of neroli, cinnamon &amp; coconut

Shampoo: African Formula Organic Curl Maintenance Shampoo. An All-Natural, Organic Shampoo that will not strip away the soft Curl from your hair. This shampoo leaves your hair very soft and it detangles and smells wonderful.

Ingredients: Purified water, Wild Honey, African Soap plant and Soapberry fruits. Papaya, Yucca Root, Wild Gourd fruits, Sea Kelp, Pepper Grass, Juniper leaves, Jaborandi and Horseradish; Oil of Nutmeg, Safflower Oil, African Shea Butter, Virgin Olive Oil and West African Palm Butter, Soy protein, Biotin, souluble Collagen, Vitamins A, C, &amp; E, extract of citrus seeds and vegetable fragrance.

Also when it comes to SLS and other harmful ingredients, click on the link.
http://www.discoverhealthandwealth.com/toxic-ingredients.html