DC'ing before shampooing??

SouthernDimps

I've always wondered if I'm being counter productive when I DC before I shampoo because it seems to me that the sulfates in some shampoos would dry my hair out and basically reverse what the DC is supposed to do. I usually use my sulfate-free CON green bottle to shampoo but I've been trying to get rid of this HE LTR shampoo. Should I DC after I shampoo when I use a shampoo with sulfates?

IDK which way is best but I DC first and then Cowash. I DC first because I wash my hair in the shower and dont feel like getting out and then come back in afterwards to wash out my DC.

yeah, i co-wash 2-3 times a week but I DC when I wash with shampoo once a week. I really don't mind getting in and out of the shower but I'm just wondering what's better for maintaining moisture and getting the full effects of a DC. I understand that the hair is like a sponge so DC'ing while the hair is dry will allow the hair to absorb the DC more, but am I doing more harm then good if I follow a DC with a sulfate shampoo?

yeah, i co-wash 2-3 times a week but I DC when I wash with shampoo once a week. I really don't mind getting in and out of the shower but I'm just wondering what's better for maintaining moisture and getting the full effects of a DC. I understand that the hair is like a sponge so DC'ing while the hair is dry will allow the hair to absorb the DC more, but am I doing more harm then good if I follow a DC with a sulfate shampoo?

i wouldn't follow with a sulfate shampoo, cause if i am not mistaken doesnt this dry out the hair ? sulfates that is? or it cleanses the hair just a tad bit so therefore if u deep condition you are drying the hair of the previous deep condition... i hope i am right! i'v ebeen doing some studying lately lol:drunk:

I always DC after I shampoo, however due to another thread I was going to try DCing before shampoo tomorrow. So I'm BUMPING to see what all the ladies have to say.

Thanks for the responses ladies! I really don't like using sulfate shampoos but HE LTR was the first one that I bought when I started my journey and I got the big bottle for $5.00 at Wal-Mart. I'm just trying to use it up 1.) because it has a nice smell 2.) because I'm trying to make my CON green last longer 3.) i'm wayyyyy too cheap to just give it away or throw it out lol 4.) i'm not trying to become a PJ like some folks on here....i'm not calling any names or pointing fingers, elbows, or toes lol

Your welcome love!
what is your hair looking like after you do the sulfate shamp? is it needing more moisture?
looking dull ? try to use a moisturizing shampoo after and compare the two, if your hair is responding well to this treatment then go for it, if it is tending to look a little off, i would suggest changing the sulfate poo to a non-sulfate poo and compare the two :) HTH but i don't think sulfates are THAT harmful besides the ones written on the how-to guide by sistaslick and aubrey off associated content, but from my understanding they do dry out some women's hair.

Last edited:
there really isn't that big of a difference between the HE shampoo and my CON as far as moisture levels. I can tell that I have more tangles when I use the HE. I la-la-love the CON and I guess I'm trying to make that last as long as possible especially since someone raided my top-secret source for the original green bottle last week.:hot:

but i guess i'm just wondering if i'm wasting my time dc'ing before usingsulfates.

I've always wondered if I'm being counter productive when I DC before I shampoo because it seems to me that the sulfates in some shampoos would dry my hair out and basically reverse what the DC is supposed to do. I usually use my sulfate-free CON green bottle to shampoo but I've been trying to get rid of this HE LTR shampoo. Should I DC after I shampoo when I use a shampoo with sulfates?

I highly recommend using sulfate free shampoo especially since you are DCing on dry hair. You don't have to use up that sulfate poo on your hair. Particularly HE has some of the harshest sulfates in their poos. Instead you could use it to:
  • Clean your sink/shower
  • Wash makeup brushes with it
  • Fill a hand soap dispenser and use it to wash your hands
  • Use it as shower gel
  • Clean your satin scarves with it
Before you know it, it will be used up. Plus your hair will thank you for it too. :yep:

Last edited:
HE LTR poo ingriedients: :perplexed

Water , Ammonium Laureth Sulfate , Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate , Sodium Chloride , Glycol Distearate , Dimethicone , Ammonium Xylenesulfonate , Citric Acid , Raspberry Juice - Rubus Idaeus , Hydrolyzed Silk , Cetyl Alcohol , Cocamide MEA , Fragrance , Polyquaternium-10 , Sodium Citrate , Hydrogenated Polydecene , Sodium Benzoate , Disodium EDTA , PEG-7M , Trimethylolpropane Tricaprylate/Tricaprate , Propylene Glycol , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone , Red 33

I think if you follow with a moisturizing shampoo it can be good. I've done it many a times before and I've never noticed a difference in the way my hair behaves after....

HE LTR poo ingriedients: :perplexed

Water , Ammonium Laureth Sulfate , Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate , Sodium Chloride , Glycol Distearate , Dimethicone , Ammonium Xylenesulfonate , Citric Acid , Raspberry Juice - Rubus Idaeus , Hydrolyzed Silk , Cetyl Alcohol , Cocamide MEA , Fragrance , Polyquaternium-10 , Sodium Citrate , Hydrogenated Polydecene , Sodium Benzoate , Disodium EDTA , PEG-7M , Trimethylolpropane Tricaprylate/Tricaprate , Propylene Glycol , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone , Red 33

OH LAWD!!!:sad: I would definately use this to scrub the kitchen sink!

ASL - is the strongest detergent out there.

anyway - I always pree poo - shampoo - post poo.

I only shampoo when I know im going to DC. So my regiment is shampoo then DC. Some shampoo strip, therefore I feel if I DC I want to keep what the DC has put in my hair. I just make sure I rinse well.

Back