Anyone else find that "gentle" or non laurly/ammonium sulfate shampoos dont cut it?

For months and months now Ive been having an issue of maybe 2 or 3 days after a wash my scalp is oily already covered in stuff i can scratch:barf: lol and smells like dirty hair.... id been using mostly garnier and other non bad sulfate containing shampoos , in other words only laureth sulfate and others but no ammonium or lauryl... those are the 2 bad ones..... Well, wednesday night I THOROUGLY , im talking 6 new lathers or more cleaned my scalp with Nexxus Aloe Rid( my hair was fine LOL)...well we're now on Sunday and my scalp is yet have any odor and my hair is still light and clean and i even sweated a little... by this time even if I hadnt sweated my scalp would have ben filthy... Now , aloe rid doesnt contain the bad sulfates but it is fairly harsh and I shampooed that many times, my scalp should be going crazy lol. Im wondering if I should use those gentle heavy cone shampoos anymore,, I think they might be giving me an itchy build up on my scalp and just not cutting the grease:ohwell:

Re: Anyone else find that "gentle" or non laurly/ammonium sulfate shampoos dont cut i

Same here. I don't worrying about what shampoo I use. I've gotten great results still using shampoos with whatever "harsh" ingredients out there. My scalp is naturally very oily so I need it.

Re: Anyone else find that "gentle" or non laurly/ammonium sulfate shampoos dont cut i

Same here. I don't worrying about what shampoo I use. I've gotten great results still using shampoos with whatever "harsh" ingredients out there. My scalp is naturally very oily so I need it.

I can't remember all of the ingredients, but I like the Ovation Color Therapy Shampoo and WEN Conditioning Cleanser. The Ovation shampoo you might like very much. I do. :yep:

I use very harsh shampoos. I have an oily scalp and fine hair. The two do not work well together. It takes a tough shampoo to keep my hair light and bouncy and my scalp clean.

Well when you think about it, the surfactants at the top of the ingredient list are also used in car wash soap, engine degreaser, laundry detergent, and everything else that gets foamy. Sulfates are a derivative of sulfuric acid and long term exposure has shown to be unhealthy for humans. Don't swear off safe alternatives just because one didn't work.

I use very harsh shampoos. I have an oily scalp and fine hair. The two do not work well together. It takes a tough shampoo to keep my hair light and bouncy and my scalp clean.

I think that might be my problem as well. Fine hair and oily scalp...

Well when you think about it, the surfactants at the top of the ingredient list are also used in car wash soap, engine degreaser, laundry detergent, and everything else that gets foamy. Sulfates are a derivative of sulfuric acid and long term exposure has shown to be unhealthy for humans. Don't swear off safe alternatives just because one didn't work.

True, but relaxers have similarly harsh ingredient as well. But people who use them all their lives can have healthy hair and a healthy body. It works for me, as well as many others.

I can't remember all of the ingredients, but I like the Ovation Color Therapy Shampoo and WEN Conditioning Cleanser. The Ovation shampoo you might like very much. I do. :yep:

I will check that out.

^^^ Yea and some people smoke cigarettes and dont die of lung cancer.... :lachen:

What are other alternatives? I tried Aubrey Organics shampoos and I HATE THEM. Is there a list of sulfate free poos? Co-washing leaves my scalp feeling YUCK!

^^^ Yea and some people smoke cigarettes and dont die of lung cancer.... :lachen:

What are other alternatives? I tried Aubrey Organics shampoos and I HATE THEM. Is there a list of sulfate free poos? Co-washing leaves my scalp feeling YUCK!
as long as they dont contain lauryl and or ammonium lauryl , its much safer, laureth is safer than lauryl.... but doenst seem strong enough for me

IA- on the Aubrey Organics poos. IMO my hair felt worse afterwards. I am using CON right now it seems to be the best for me so far

True, but relaxers have similarly harsh ingredient as well. But people who use them all their lives can have healthy hair and a healthy body. It works for me, as well as many others.

That might be true but at the same time it seems people here wash at least once a week with shampoo and on average relax once every 3 months. That's 52 exposures to shampoo and 4 exposures to relaxers in one year. Over 10 years you're putting sulfate on your head 520 times and relaxers 40 times. And I'll search for it, but I've never seen a study that would suggest that people using relaxers or sulfate shampoos are physically as healthy as those that avoid relaxers/sulfates. I have seen studies that can contribute the increase cancer cases and other aliments to the pollutants and man-made chemicals we deliberately expose ourselves to daily.

Have you tried organix?

I started using the Giovanni Organic Hair Care line. Has no sulfates. I have been using the 50:50 balanced poo, and it smells good.( I am very picky about the smell of products). I add butter mixes in my hair after I wash that have EO in them, plus, I can't stand to let my hair go for more than 2 days without washing, so I can't really say if this poo leaves my hair funky or not. Sorry I wasn't much help.

Aye aye, raven...:perplexed

The only one i've used that worked well was hamadi. You should try theirs.

As others have said -don't knock them all, because of just one! I had the same feeling about SLS (being an issue for some, just not me, lol) until I researched more and did my own experiement to see which my hair preferred. SLS vs. non-SLS because I WASH DAILY.

You need a shampoo with coco betaine or some coco-derivative followed by "betaine" (there are a few, but they follow the "coco___________ betaine" pattern because of a similar molecular structure).

I reviewed Burt's Bees, Nature's Gate, and JASON. All natural and VERY good. I use the hardest silicones to get off cyclopentaxilosane (something close to that spelling, anyway) and these get it off without issue.

I use silicones instead of oils on my hair because my skin won't tolerate them so I had to find shampoos that could handle these cones but not ruin my hair through being relaxed, texlaxed, and not natural.

See my Drugstore review album in my fotki.

HTH

i too have a very oily scalp! to the op and others, have you ever tried adding baking soda to the "gentle" shampoos? This has worked pretty well for me.

That might be true but at the same time it seems people here wash at least once a week with shampoo and on average relax once every 3 months. That's 52 exposures to shampoo and 4 exposures to relaxers in one year. Over 10 years you're putting sulfate on your head 520 times and relaxers 40 times. And I'll search for it, but I've never seen a study that would suggest that people using relaxers or sulfate shampoos are physically as healthy as those that avoid relaxers/sulfates. I have seen studies that can contribute the increase cancer cases and other aliments to the pollutants and man-made chemicals we deliberately expose ourselves to daily.

True.:yep: But I'm just saying. We can write a list of stuff that is linked to Cancer and it would be eons long. Natural products are a much healthier alternative, but I'm not buying that washing my hair with whatever shampoo (some that happen to be sulfate free) is going to be worse than half the stuff out here that causes early death.

Once a month I add a tbsp of baking soda to a few tbsps of conditioner, mix, apply to my scalp, and massage in. It really keeps my scalp fresh and oil-free.

you have me cracking up at your siggy... Captain Save-A-Scalp is one of my favorite phrases :lachen:

The super gentle ones don't do it for me, either. Those shampoo bars especially don't cut it. But I find that Trader Joe's Nourish Spa shampoo, which has no sls, can still get my hair clean. It still has parabens, so if you're concerned about that you might avoid it. But this is the general reason I really like Trader Joe's. That and the fact that it's $2.50 for a almost 17 oz bottle.

Back