A Week b4 relaxing, wot 2 do beforee and after!!

gunnergal

I am goin to relax my hair next weekend, my last relaxer was towards the end of june,does anyone know of any tips of what to do to my hair before relaxing to aid in my new regime of growing my hair the LHCF way....thanks

Lady Esquire

One week before, do a protein treatment, such as the Aphogee Two Minute Keratin Reconstructor. If you notice breakage, do the Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair instead. Do a strand test to figure out which protein treatment is best. (read SistaSlick's articles discussing strand tests). On the last 3-5 days prior to relaxing, do not scratch, comb, or wash hair. Do not do anything to disturb your scalp.

One week after, do a protein treatment, followed by a moisturizing treatment. I usually do Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair one week after. However, this time I may do Nexxus Emergencee instead, 'cause Aphogee is really intense.

Hope this helps.

Neroli

I do a good wash with moisturizing 'poo (nexxus therapee), then do a protein treament for at least 20 minutes (nexxus keraphix or emergencee) with plastic cap, then rinse, then follow with 20 minutes moisturizing condish (nexxus humectress), then rinse, squeez dry and apply leave-ins and air dry and put into a protective or low manipulation style that requires very little handing until touchup. I'm a nexxus girl so that's what I use but other good stuff out there too if you have another preference.:yep:

I recently started using lots of silk protein (Ion silk drops) to help protect hair and scalp from the chemical. I use as final leave-in serum that last wash before touchup and then again just before applying relaxer, I pile it on roots to ends and wait 5 minutes, then start relaxer application.

Welcome aboard! I'm sure others are gonna chime in with even more ideas . . .

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
ITA w/ the protein treatment before and after the relaxer. I even do a light protein during the relaxing process. after rinsing the creme out, I add a light protein for a few minutes and then neutralize.

C

chica_canella

Yes, even though my styist has his faults he still did a good but *stinky*:lachen: protein treatment before my relaxer.

C

chica_canella

Make sure your stylist has a base also for your scalp so it won't be a burnin'.:lachen:

You can also try to put some grease on the previously relaxed ends so your hair won't be overprocessed.

gunnergal

Thanks for all your replies......i am definitely noting everything down..the only thing missing is the hair products i need, seeing as it is still yet to arrive 3 days after ordering them, hopefully they arrive in time..:perplexed

Jessofpal

Its getting close to that time for me as well. Does anyone here do a mid-relaxer protein step? If so what products do you use? I recently got the ORS Replenishing Pack (I adore it!!!:grin:) But might that be a bit heavy for a post relaxer step?

Its getting close to that time for me as well. Does anyone here do a mid-relaxer protein step? If so what products do you use? I recently got the ORS Replenishing Pack (I adore it!!!:grin:) But might that be a bit heavy for a post relaxer step?

IMO the ORS replenishing pack is a mosturizing DC not a protein conditioner. I relaxed a few days ago and I used Aussie 3 minute reconstructor before/after neutralizing and then used ORS replenishing pack to DC. HTH

cicilypayne

Great tips ladies how do we do this post relaxer protein treatment same day of the relaxer and a few days later??:ohwell:

Jessofpal

IMO the ORS replenishing pack is a mosturizing DC not a protein conditioner. I relaxed a few days ago and I used Aussie 3 minute reconstructor before/after neutralizing and then used ORS replenishing pack to DC. HTH

Oh I'm so glad you mentioned the Aussie reconstructor. I've been seeing those at work (I am am auditor at a Kmart warehouse) and I keep forgetting to ask if anyone's tried it.

I'm deathly afraid of protein (last year I had to cut most of my hair off because I got careless with protein) and I'm not ready to try the Aphogee treatment.

autumnbeauty29

This was great info! Before my relaxer I did an Aphogee for Damaged hair Treatment, and immediately following the relaxer before neutralixing I used NExxus Emergencee. I am hoping to see positive results and improved strength.

StrongNGlossy

ITA w/ the protein treatment before and after the relaxer. I even do a light protein during the relaxing process. after rinsing the creme out, I add a light protein for a few minutes and then neutralize.

OT: Your skin is GORGEOUS! And that baby boy is a cutie!

janaq2003

I've been doing aphogee 2 min before neutralizing and I really think it has helped my hair by making it stronger.

AtlantaJJ

Welcome! Here's 2 links for you. Sistaslick breaks it all down. One link is for what to do the week before a relaxer, the other link gives some tips for effectively doing your own relaxers.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278572/getting_ready_to_relax_preparing_your.html

http://www.associatedcontent.com/ar...safely_applying_chemical_relaxers.html?page=6
This is excellent information for self relaxing. It's going into my vault. I'm going to add almond oil or olive oil to my relaxer and a touch of keratin and wheat protein. Just a touch.