Experiences with your first self-relaxing

Denim And Leather

I have decided to do my own relaxer the first week of June (making it 8 weeks since my last touch-up), since I don't trust my hairdresser anymore. I have decided to go with the Phytospecific relaxer (I can't wait to see the results!).

read Southern Girl's self-relaxing tips, and they're very helpful. Any other advice you can give from those of you who self relax would be greatly appreciated, especially those who have self-relaxed for the first time in recent months! :D

SohoHair

That's so funny, because today I came to decision to self-relax with Phyto on June 11th. My mom did my last and it was not bad at all, and I was going to go to the salon for the next one but I think I want to do it myself. I feel like self trimming and self relaxing will complete my whole hair journey. I already do everything else and between my Caruso's and my FHI flat iron and my newly developed rollersetting skills I can make my hair look better than when I used to go to the salon. I am considering adding a little oil to the relaxer to slow down the processing time. I think self relaxing will allow me to do my hair EXACTLY how I want to (straight but not bone straight) and that's really very exciting. I also love love love Phyto and can't wait to relax on my own... I still can't get over how similar to my own thoughts this thread is.... might you be my long lost hair twin??:look:

But yes, any additional advice on self relaxing will be much appreciated, I want to make sure I get it right! The banding method looks rather intriguing...:scratchch

Denim And Leather

SohoHair said:
That's so funny, because today I came to decision to self-relax with Phyto on June 11th. My mom did my last and it was not bad at all, and I was going to go to the salon for the next one but I think I want to do it myself. I feel like self trimming and self relaxing will complete my whole hair journey. I already do everything else and between my Caruso's and my FHI flat iron and my newly developed rollersetting skills I can make my hair look better than when I used to go to the salon. I am considering adding a little oil to the relaxer to slow down the processing time. I think self relaxing will allow me to do my hair EXACTLY how I want to (straight but not bone straight) and that's really very exciting. I also love love love Phyto and can't wait to relax on my own... I still can't get over how similar to my own thoughts this thread is.... might you be my long lost hair twin??:look:

But yes, any additional advice on self relaxing will be much appreciated, I want to make sure I get it right! The banding method looks rather intriguing...:scratchch

How funny! When I started this hair journey (a month ago), I thought that it might be better that I relax my own hair, since I'm doing everything else in taking care of it, how nice it would be to do it all.... I have the ceramic flat iron, all kinds of products, and even bought a bonnet hair dryer. I think we might be hair twins! :D

I can't wait to use Phyto! I do like the bone straight look, but not at the expense of my hair (my hairdresser used one of those marcel hot irons! No more of those for me!).

When you do your self-relaxer, keep me posted, chicka. :)

virgo_chinwe

SohoHair said:

Let me know how the oil and phyto mix works out!! When transition back to relax hair (im currently a natural) I definitely want to use phyto 2 + EVOO+ almond oil on all my virgin hair!!! I am super excited. I have heard good things about phyto.

SohoHair

I will def keep you guys posted, I'm pretty excited about it myself. I used Phyto for my last touchup and it was like a dream come true. No lost hair, straight, but not lifeless, and quite strong. I did my mom's touchup for her today with Phyto and her results were also wonderful. She has very very fine hair and usually after a relaxer her hair is plastered to her head and sad looking, but it was bouncy and shiny and as straight as she wanted it to be. *sigh* LHCF has changed my life I tell ya! Never in a zillion years would I have thought I would be even contemplating self relaxing or doing my mom's touchup with excellent results, or possibly being reunited with my hair twin... I am a happy bean indeed.

Denim And Leather

SohoHair said:
I will def keep you guys posted, I'm pretty excited about it myself. I used Phyto for my last touchup and it was like a dream come true. No lost hair, straight, but not lifeless, and quite strong. I did my mom's touchup for her today with Phyto and her results were also wonderful. She has very very fine hair and usually after a relaxer her hair is plastered to her head and sad looking, but it was bouncy and shiny and as straight as she wanted it to be. *sigh* LHCF has changed my life I tell ya! Never in a zillion years would I have thought I would be even contemplating self relaxing or doing my mom's touchup with excellent results, or possibly being reunited with my hair twin... I am a happy bean indeed.

Soho, your post has me very excited and encouraged in doing my own self relaxing! Thank you! :)

Angelicus

It didn't work out for me. My hair just won't relax. One time I left the relaxer on for 40 minutes and it still didn't relax. My smoothing technique isn't too good. I only used my hands and a medium sized comb.

trinidarkie1

Anky I dont think that your smoothing technique is off. Perhaps the product isnt strong enough for your hair type. Just try something else when you decide to relax again.