STEAM successes - Please Share!

Are you Steaming to Success???

• Yup - I am gonna Steam my way to new lengths!

Votes: 137 40.8%
  • No Way man....It is a gimmick

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • I would love to do a challenge...

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • I Don't want to hear anymore for SJ about Steam....

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • I have never done, But I would like to!!!

Votes: 174 51.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lucky's Mom

I find that we can jump on bandwagons - however - I would love to know who have done these and have had great success......

I truly belive this is the key to great lengths in Natural hair - and possibly benefical to our relaxed sistas...........

Please weigh in!!!!!

I am tracking my progress with this method for the next 6 months..........

Any natural ladies for a CHALLENGE?????:swordfigh

My hair was still so yummy after 4 days - BLING BLING!!!!
http://public.fotki.com/samanthajon...march-2008---coconu/samshairendofmarch17.html

So - I am gonna work it girls - Curly or Straight........

HUGS!!!!

Last edited:

Ms.Honey

Before I started Kanye's New workout plan I had to....Oops sorry wrong testimonial:lachen:
My style lasts much longer, I get a lot less shrinkage and it's a lot more moisturize. I can really see a difference. My hair feels softer and more manageable. I use my fabric/clothes steamer.:yep:

Last edited:

issidoll

SJ you know I'm a believer. :amen:
I am using steam treatments :brainfog::brainfog::brainfog:to transition more smoothly.
My NG loves it and is so soft and moisturised. :lick::lick::lick:
Can't get enough :sandm: of that steam girl!!!:cloud9:

O.T: 4 months since my last relaxer woohoo!!!!

Last edited:

lovinmylocs

I'm in for the challenge. I have never steamed so I have no success stories to share but I love a bandwagon so bring it on.

:rolleyes:

AtlantaJJ

Can you please make this an offical challenge? I did a BC Christmas and I've had 4 inches of new growth since then. I want to do what ever I can to retain my length and the health of my hair.

Please post the steaming instructions or the link to the instructions and count me into the challenge!!!

A couple of questions, I think I read that we should only steam once per month? Would once per week be too often?

What type of conditioners are you all that are having good success using?

Different steaming techniques?

Please ladies, give up the goods ! :grin:

InNeedofHairapy

I had one steam treatment in life, and I had the glossiest, juiciest bounciest curls ever.....I'd love to have that on a regular basis too...

now that I'm transitioning, I'd like to start steaming again, but have no idea where to get an at home steamer (the one treatment I had was in a salon)

where did you get yours...

and I'd be up for a challenge if I was able to find one.

AfroKink

I think steaming is great for our hair. Our hair arose in a climate that was much more humid than this dry place I find myself in now. Ever notice how black people have to lotion their skin or it gets ashy and dry? A good friend of the family was telling me how when she first moved from the Caribbean to Canada she literally felt her skin dry and tighten up. Black skin loses moisture faster than white skin. It's also more sensitive to SLS (check the back of your shampoo bottle:spinning:). Our hair is similar. It was adapted for a more humid environment. Our hair is naturally dry, not because dry is necessarily great, but because the moisture was coming from external sources.

Until I can follow the humidty back "home", I'll be steaming my hair to sucess. I'm wearing a shrunken fro right now. I'll be steaming either tomorrow or Friday after the gym :)

Lys

25Nona

I've given my testimony on one of the other threads', and I am so lovin how my hair is doing, and I'm going to definitely continue to do them on a regular basis. If this does become a challenge please count me in.

iaec06

my regular dominicans use these . love them . it only takes 5 mins for my head to be pouring sweat .

oooop2

Sam..After the steam and then seal w/oils, what do you do with your hair (Twist/braid/ponytail).

Thanks

AfroKink

Keep in mind the Chlorine Content of Steam rooms! Be careful!
The Chlorine will soak right into your hair too!:nono:

It's okay. I have a "swimmers shampoo" from Aubrey's Organics. I use it after swimming in chlorine or salt water and my hair has been fine. I'll just add it to my wash day after the steam.

I'm holding off on getting the steam now because I'm moving in just over a month. I don't want to move more things than I have to.

Lys

yodie

Count me in. I'm getting ready to order a steamer.

Anyone have a tabletop steamer that you absolutely love?

shocol

If you do a challenge, count me in. My hair loves steaming. I'm only going to detangle my hair after a steam treatment from now on. I lose less than half the hair I normally do. And I don't have so many knots and tangles during the week.

SunnyDelight

I've done the steam treatment while in braids and my NG felt awesome.

I've taken the braids down and have a question now -

I'm doing the towel method - don't have a steamer YET :sad::sad: - but I want to know, when the first towel comes out of the microwave, it is too hot to go directly on the hair? I loved the heat/steam while in braids but I'm just concerened about that heat on my own hair? TIA

Qetesh

I had one steam treatment in life, and I had the glossiest, juiciest bounciest curls ever.....I'd love to have that on a regular basis too...

now that I'm transitioning, I'd like to start steaming again, but have no idea where to get an at home steamer (the one treatment I had was in a salon)

where did you get yours...

and I'd be up for a challenge if I was able to find one.

totally off topic but OMG those babies are sooooooo adorable (makes me want one but i know i aint ready heheheh)

i need to learn more about steaming

AfroKink

Yes!! Please tell about the tabletops!

Yah, I'm looking for reviews of this one:

Does anyone have this one?

Lys

Lucky's Mom

I've done the steam treatment while in braids and my NG felt awesome.

I've taken the braids down and have a question now -

I'm doing the towel method - don't have a steamer YET :sad::sad: - but I want to know, when the first towel comes out of the microwave, it is too hot to go directly on the hair? I loved the heat/steam while in braids but I'm just concerened about that heat on my own hair? TIA

You should be ok - once you get it on your head.............

Just be careful!

I steam my hair every month when i go to the hairdresser. For the past few months started covering my hair with a net and not a plastic cap. Makes a big difference to me in how my hair feels afterwards.
What does this challenge consist of? Also why can't a person steam her hair more than once per month?

michaela

Natural 4b
for those who are not using steamers how are you steaming and what does it really benefit?
And how many times do u Steam?

nichelle02

I steam my hair every month when i go to the hairdresser. For the past few months started covering my hair with a net and not a plastic cap. Makes a big difference to me in how my hair feels afterwards.
What does this challenge consist of? Also why can't a person steam her hair more than once per month?

During the very cold winter months, I steamed once per week. Usually, I have terrible breakage because I just can't seem to keep my hair moisturized in the winter. I was experiencing that period of breakage, so I bought a steamer a few months ago. Once a week worked beautifully for me. Now that it is warmer and there is moisture in the air, I'm steaming 'as needed'. Every 2 weeks is the norm for now.