What To Do When Faced With No Progress??

Hi ladies, I need some advice please.

I had very little to no progress last year and I keep going over what I did differently in 2008 that caused my lack of growth or retention. In 2007 I went from SL to BSL and in 2008 I gained probably an inch or less and the condition of my ends aren't that great.

While the manageability and texture of my hair have improved this year, I am still left with the fact that I had no progression in length. I'm not a big fan of jumping on bandwagons and I'd rather keep it simple but I believe I am in somewhat of a "hair hump" and need something to set things off right this year. I have also considered other options such as:

-getting my hair cut into layers and maintain mostly straightened natural hair (this goes against my original plan of waiting until WL to do a major cut)

-trying an avuerydic (sp?) regimen

-forgetting about my hair/having no set plans or goals for 2009

-no heat until april 2009 (my birthday) and assess hair then and make decision

If you have any other suggestions/advice, please add.
-

this past year...what was your regimen? how was your diet? any new medication? major illnesses/hospitalization/surgery?

this past year...what was your regimen? how was your diet? any new medication? major illnesses/hospitalization/surgery?

Hmm let's see

I'm on no new medications and I eat healthy for the most part and try to exercise regularly. (1-2x a week)

The beginning of this year I experienced some heat damage in the hands of a stylist. I straightened my hair a total of 3-4 times for the entire year. I abstained from heat 3 consecutive months from march-june and another 3-4 months sept-december 2008.

In June 2008 I decided to start straightening my own hair and tried become a DIY in all areas.

One major problem I encountered during the latter portion of last year was my hair strands kind of stuck to each other and fingercombing became very difficult (combing it was pure torture and not an option) I try my best not use commercial products and make prepoos of EVOO avocado etc. occasionally. The last time I had a trim was December 2007 I have been using the search and destroy technique since then.

Did/do you moisturise your ends before your night regimen? A lot of people seal the ends with an oil...i use my moisturiser only on my ends and they are very soft and haven't broken.
If you are using an oil to seal, try something more penetrating, like coconut or your regular moisturiser

I reccommend simply leaving it alone. braid it up...pin it up or bun it which ever u prefer. Use a good conditioner and moisture is key and be patient. I realize while on a quest for beautiful hair you can't always be a glamour girl.....less curling, flat ironing and heat all together. Trim those ends when needed. Stretch any relaxers etc. and co-wash. Not doing any of the bad things will surely give your hair something good in return. Lots of luck Anna ;)

I would check your diet
do u eat alot of "green" foods/drink plenty of water

try hide/protect your ends
ensure they don't brush against fabric or get snagged in jewelery

Did/do you moisturise your ends before your night regimen? A lot of people seal the ends with an oil...i use my moisturiser only on my ends and they are very soft and haven't broken.
If you are using an oil to seal, try something more penetrating, like coconut or your regular moisturiser

You bring up a good point!
I never really incorporated moisturizing my ends every night hard core into my regimen. It was just something I did every so often. My reasoning was that my natural hair is usually away from shoulders or other friction.

You bring up a good point!
I never really incorporated moisturizing my ends every night hard core into my regimen. It was just something I did every so often. My reasoning was that my natural hair is usually away from shoulders or other friction.

Oh you have to moisturize. My hair is natural and even though it does not touch my shoulders in any style (maybe it a little in the back) I have to keep it super moisturized so that it doesn't dry out and then break off when I do manipulate it.

I reccommend simply leaving it alone. braid it up...pin it up or bun it which ever u prefer. Use a good conditioner and moisture is key and be patient. I realize while on a quest for beautiful hair you can't always be a glamour girl.....less curling, flat ironing and heat all together. Trim those ends when needed. Stretch any relaxers etc. and co-wash. Not doing any of the bad things will surely give your hair something good in return. Lots of luck Anna ;)

Thanks Anna!
I recognize that I could use a good trim, but I have no one I can trust. And I am now at a point where I would attempt to trim my hair myself but I don't want to spend a whole bunch of money on quality hair scissors.

You are so right about this journey-I just feel like it has been so long for me. Esp when you get less progress than you are expecting after a year.

I would check your diet
do u eat alot of "green" foods/drink plenty of water

try hide/protect your ends
ensure they don't brush against fabric or get snagged in jewelery

Thanks nappi!

I do eat a lot of "green" foods and stick to healthy alternatives. My hair is mostly protected and hidden away.

It may be that you just need a product shake up. I think hair, like other things, can get used to a routine, and no longer respond as it did before to that routine. Maybe you need to incorporate new products into your regime. It may be as simple as changing your DC or may be an entire regimen overhaul. I just know that before I started caring about doing my hair on my own, my stylist would tell me about every year or so that I need to invest in a new shampoo because my hair is "too used to" the one I was using. I don't know if it was true or not, but may help.

For the most part, it's possible that your hair just might be in it's resting stage along with the fact that it may be starved of ample daily moisture. If it is starved of moisture then it would be hard for you to retain much length. Drink lots of water and do your daily moisturizing and sealing.

Back