Interesting Article about Heat Protection

angelita842002

Good Article. Thanks for the info. So water and silicones for heat protection:) Ill keep that in mind when i flat iron next week.!!

Nice & Wavy

angelita842002 said:
Good Article. Thanks for the info. So water and silicones for heat protection:) Ill keep that in mind when i flat iron next week.!!

That was interesting right? I guess silicones work for something!

Cayenne0622

Nice & Wavy said:
It's a little long, but interesting. What do you think?

http://www.dowcorning.com/content/publishedlit/HEATPROTECT.pdf

Hmmm....some of it got a little too technical for me but I guess it kind of makes sense that water/moisture retention in the hair plus some type of silicone to seal it in will protect the hair during the use of heat appliances. Thanks for the article. It was an interesting read.
P.S. I still don't know what to use on my hair for flat-ironing. :lachen:

texasqt

This article goes in hand with only flat-ironing clean hair. If you use the heat only after washing, I'm sure the hair's water content is higher...I've used a pressing oil in the past (going to see what's in it-fingers crossed for some silicone!).

Does any one know of some silicone based products to use when applying direct heat? I want to flat iron for Christmas and I'll be 12 weeks post by then - don't want to mess up my progress.

Last edited:

lexi08

texasqt said:
This article goes in hand with only flat-ironing clean hair. If you use the heat only after washing, I'm sure the hair's water content is higher...I've used a pressing oil in the pass (going to see what's in it-fingers crossed for some silicone!).

Does any one know of some silicone based products to use when applying direct heat? I want to flat iron for Christmas and I'll be 12 weeks post by then - don't want to mess up my progress.

Redkin Heat Glide serum works very well and so does Chi Silk infusion serum.

navsegda

texasqt said:
This article goes in hand with only flat-ironing clean hair. If you use the heat only after washing, I'm sure the hair's water content is higher...I've used a pressing oil in the past (going to see what's in it-fingers crossed for some silicone!).

I use Chi Silk Infusion Silk Reconstructing Complex and I'm telling you, this stuff is absolutely BRILLIANT. It is actually made to work well with ceramic flat irons (the ceramic heat infuses the silk proteins into the hair strands). I also use Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Weightless Anti-Frizz Serum. Both have silicones (which my hair loves anyway) and both are very good for flat ironing.

Last edited:

Nice & Wavy

navsegda said:
I use
Chi Silk Infusion Silk Reconstructing Complex
and I'm telling you, this stuff is absolutely BRILLIANT. It is actually made to work well with ceramic flat irons (the ceramic heat infuses the silk proteins into the hair strands). I also use
Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Weightless Anti-Frizz Serum
. Both have silicones (which my hair loves anyway) and both are very good for flat ironing.

I'll have to try this...thanks!

sheena m

navsegda said:
I use Chi Silk Infusion Silk Reconstructing Complex and I'm telling you, this stuff is absolutely BRILLIANT. It is actually made to work well with ceramic flat irons (the ceramic heat infuses the silk proteins into the hair strands). I also use Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Weightless Anti-Frizz Serum. Both have silicones (which my hair loves anyway) and both are very good for flat ironing.

where do you get the Chi Silk Insufion stuff from???

navsegda

sheena m said:
where do you get the Chi Silk Insufion stuff from???
http://www.folica.com/CHI_Silk_Infusi_d2300.html

So far, that's the cheapest I've seen the 6 oz. ($10.95). On other websites I've seen the 6 oz. for like $17.95. The 12 oz. bottles are like $40 (without shipping) on some websites.

Hey, I also noticed you're from Marietta. I have friends who live there. :D And I've been to this club called Le Buzz there.

sareca

Good article. I'm considering relaxing the rules about cones to include ones that start w/ PEG or end with copoyl.

Gryphyn

The article was very interesting. I use Tresemme Heat Tamer heat protectant. After reading that article I checked the ingredient list and it lists water, glycerin, amodimethicone and PEG-12 dimethicone as the first four ingredients :clap:

sheena m

navsegda said:
http://www.folica.com/CHI_Silk_Infusi_d2300.html

So far, that's the cheapest I've seen the 6 oz. ($10.95). On other websites I've seen the 6 oz. for like $17.95. The 12 oz. bottles are like $40 (without shipping) on some websites.

Hey, I also noticed you're from Marietta. I have friends who live there. :D And I've been to this club called Le Buzz there.

Thanks for the info on Chi silk. I haven't heard of Le Buzz, but I also don't go to the club that much:perplexed .

comike

Interesting study. Most leave-in conditioners contain silicones (and of course water). So it's probably beneficial to use a leave-in conditioner followed by application of a silicone serum on wet hair prior to blow-drying to protect the hair from the heat exposure.

O my goodness, thank you so much lol, this article is like a fantasy to me,, I had been wanting to see some scientific explanation of how cones can protect hair and this is so thorough, wow THANXXXXX;):D

Navsegda,, I also use CHI infusion, i was wondering though and had been meaning to ask CHI users this,, how much do u use????!! do u apply to each section or apply all over and just what amount is good, im so confused!!!

Ms Lala

This is interesting. I wonder if the wax found in most pressing creams/oil is effective in protecting from heat? My hair doesn't respond too well to cones, it's hard for me to moisturize properly after using them.

KhandiB

Fantasia IC has great Serums..

Right Now Im Using V05 Miracle Mist/Keracare Silken Seal..

I have some extra serums lying around here if anyone is interested in trying them..

PM Me :)

navsegda

Ravenhairbellydancer said:
Navsegda,, I also use CHI infusion, i was wondering though and had been meaning to ask CHI users this,, how much do u use????!! do u apply to each section or apply all over and just what amount is good, im so confused!!!
When I'm flat ironing after I blow dry, I divide my hair into 4 sections and pour a little of the Silk Infusion into my hands and massage it through each section. Be sure to get the ends. When I'm not flat ironing, I pour about a tablespoon in my hands and massage it all over the hair. My hair always soaks it right up, so there is never any buildup and it never leaves it greasy.