Does Heat Protection Help Hair?

Does Heat Protection Help Hair?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

westNDNbeauty

Ok. With many responses leading to cones protecting against the use of high heat....

My next question is, what does heat damage look like to you?

I am not too sure if just because a product is silicone based it can prevent my natural hair from becoming permanently straight due to use of heat (i.e.-heat damage). So is it really 'heat protection'?

Nonie

Hair that doesn't revert when you wash but stays permanently straight. I think singed hair that smells burnt too is damaged hair. Sometimes the burn is so obvious coz the hair changes color and becomes crisp and dark.

I personally knew w/o a doubt that my press with enough heat protectants was void of damage because unlike previous times where the room was filled with a smell of "cooking hair", this time there wasn't even the slightest whiff. Not when pressing, or after, or even when I wet my hair. Those heat protectants worked. Why or how they work, I couldn't tell you. I'm just glad they did.

MWilson569

I personally dont believe that cones protect my natural hair from heat damage... My hair was most damaged when I used a heat protectant with cones.... now I just keep my hair super moisturized...and it's doing better...but if I find a good heat protectant without cones I wouldnt mind using it for a little extra protection.

westNDNbeauty

In light of another thread created about Ateya's latest video and her not using heat protectant, I wonder what are peoples expectations of a heat protectant?

Does the majority expect that a heat protectant is going to prevent heat damage?

ConstantlyDynamic

In light of another thread created about Ateya's latest video and her not using heat protectant, I wonder what are peoples expectations of a heat protectant?

Does the majority expect that a heat protectant is going to prevent heat damage?

i think they do expect it to prevent heat damage. i definitely did. i was so afraid of heat damage that i put A LOT of heat protectant (the chi 44 iron guard) on my hair. this product is a bit sticky but i didn't care and just kept spraying. i cared more about the supposed protection it would bring. in the end, i still had ends that wouldn't revert and i cowash everyday so it should've happened by now. i just cut them off (the ones i could see-idk how the back of my hair looks lol oops). i'm guessing that technique is just as important because i've never had a hair stylist use heat protectant but my hair still reverts. it's when i do it that my hair gets damaged.

Lucky's Mom

Heat protectants have their place imo.... I do think that NOTHING will protect your hair from 500 degree heat... ( those marcel irons) but.... I also think that you have to find the right balance for your own hair.

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
i think they do expect it to prevent heat damage. i definitely did. i was so afraid of heat damage that i put A LOT of heat protectant (the chi 44 iron guard) on my hair. this product is a bit sticky but i didn't care and just kept spraying. i cared more about the supposed protection it would bring. in the end, i still had ends that wouldn't revert and i cowash everyday so it should've happened by now. i just cut them off (the ones i could see-idk how the back of my hair looks lol oops). i'm guessing that technique is just as important because i've never had a hair stylist use heat protectant but my hair still reverts. it's when i do it that my hair gets damaged.

I didn't care for Iron Guard either or any "wet" heat protectant I've ever used. For me, serum protectants work best.