Vitamin Pills: Popping Too Many?

northernbelle

I read the article. Very informative and revealing.

Like I say, I keep it simple; I stick to taking a good multi-vitamin on a daily basis. That's it.

northernbelle

Stormy

Thank you soooo much Caramelkiss!

Although I just take a multivitamin and the GNC Hair, Skin, and Nails formula, I'm going to drop the Hair, Skin, and Nails formula because it's giving me more of what I don't need like vitamin A (too much). I'm just going to switch to taking Biotin occasionally. (like in the Winter when my nails get weak due to the harsh weather) I matched the amounts from the article with what my GNC label says and it's waaaay too much. Although mine are water soluable, but still...
better to be safe than sorry.

G

**But you do the math: You could be getting up to 500% of the RDA, maybe more, in one day's time -- up to five times what your body needs. Are we toting up toxic levels of vitamins? Or throwing our money away? ***

I said this on another thread, that people are wasting money and possibly putting thier health in jeporady taking all that stuff without discussing with a physician. Some stuff if not needed is eliminated in the urine with no benefit so your money is going down the toliet "literally" and then some stuff is harbored in the liver and can cause problems.

Crysdon

I recently dropped my B vits because I thought I was overloading. I now take a One-A-Day multi, 1,000 mcg biotin and 500 mcg MSM.

I too have noticed the abundance of vitamins that members here are taking and I wonder if they know that they're already getting lots of vitamins from their daily food intake?

FineChyna

funny this thread was made cause i was thinking it last night. i don't want to give up my GNC HSN formula cause i am convined that it not only helped my hair but also my skin. i do have the GNC UMW vits but the iron in them is causing some annoying "problems" and i did also realize that HSN and the UMW have ALOT of vit a, b, & d. so i thinking of either doing pills every other day or taking half the multi dose and the full HSN dose. i would ask my doc but i don't think i (as a black woman) can explain to a non black women (even though she is indian and has SUPER long hair w/ no effort) why i am taking HSN. it might feed into some stereotypes about black people's hair. (you know it doesn't grow or all of them need weaves) i was thinking of doing straight biotin and MSN with a multi but i am not sure how that might work out either. and i hate to waste products but just not using them and have the bottles collect dust since my budget is equal to half a shoe string right now...

*thinking really hard*

CaramelKiss

I have scaled down on the vits. To be honest, I didn't notice too much of a difference as far as my hair goes, but then I only did it for 2 months. Prior to that I was taking a multi vitamin for years and I still do and will keep that up. I am now taking b complex because the birth control pill that I am on and Zinc to clear up some blemishes I have but the Zinc is only short term and both were suggested by my doctor.

I've really been watching what I eat and keeping a food journal. Many cereals especially oatmeal do contain lots of multi vits and I also try to eat green and yellow veges everyday, meat or non meat proteins, and dairy for calcium and 2 Litres of water a day. I don't heave any health problems- Thank God- and so I think I'm okay with that. I think it works way better than taking all these vitamins, but that's just me.

What about the rest of u ladies??

Also, I eat fish twice a week for the omega vits.

inthepink

I'm also wondering if my vitamins are doing anything for me. I currently take centrum for kids multi, gnc ultranourishair, 1000mcg of biotin, and flaxseed pills. Once I run out of these, I'm thinking of just switching to GNC women's multi, GNC Hair, Skin, and Nails formula and an essential oils blend (liquid formula) and that's it. I am not sure if the Ultranourishair has done anything. But I did notice my nails grew like a weed on the HSN formula so I would guess my hair grew faster, too and I really think it did. I find it odd that the product for Hair has really done nothing.